View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Personally I prefer all the code (city) names to the final names...'Venice' is a much better name than 'Priv'

Posted via CB10
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and georg4BB like this.
    09-24-15 10:54 AM
    Perhaps we could all get together and help BlackBerry come up with a better name...

...BlackBerry Bacon?
    ...BlackBerry Squirrel?
    ...BlackBerry Elbow?

...I genuinely think at least two of those names are preferable to Priv...

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 11:33 AM
    As I've read in another thread, the good thing is that a lot of people are now commenting about a device name..Which, onestly, counts not so much. Free advertising anyone? ;-)
    The certain thing is that tomorrow JC cannot avoid to talk about the "Priv". That would be a bad move, for sure...

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 11:39 AM
    It?s time for BlackBerry Ltd to abandon its BB10 operating system, Scotia analyst says | Financial Post

Scotia Capital analyst Daniel Chan has some bold advice for BlackBerry Ltd., ahead of the Waterloo Ont.-based company’s quarterly earnings report.

According to Chan, the tech firm ought to jettison its BlackBerry 10 operating system, the linchpin of its highly secure ecosystem for mobile phones, in favour of Google Inc.’s Android platform.

In his nearly two years as CEO, John Chen has worked to shift BlackBerry from a shrinking device maker to a serious player in software for businesses. The company has made several acquisitions to grow its non-hardware offerings, culminating in the US$425-million takeover of Good Technology Corp. earlier this month. Buying Good will help get BlackBerry closer to Chen’s goal of US$500-million in software revenue by March 2016 and removes a key competitor to its business of providing programming aimed at helping companies track and secure mobile devices.

Phones still account for more than 40 per cent of the company’s revenue, however, and BlackBerry has long said running its own operating system allows it to make sure the devices live up to its reputation for security.

BlackBerry is scheduled to report earnings before the open on Friday morning. The consensus among analysts is for a loss of 9 cents per share, according to the average of forecasts compiled by Bloomberg. Investors and analysts will be looking to see how much progress Chen has made towards the US$500-million goal as BlackBerry handset sales continue to drop despite new phones debuted in the last year, such as the keyboard-equipped Classic and square-screened Passport.

While CEO Chen made an immense stride to revamp BlackBerry’s device business by outsourcing manufacturing and development to avoid repeats of the inventory buildups that had long plagued the company, Scotia’s Chan explains why a more radical change would be beneficial.

“While BB10, in our opinion, is technologically superior to many mobile platforms, it has failed to generate the recovery BlackBerry had hoped for and continues to be the primary source of losses for the company,” Chan said in a research note published this week.
    rarsen and sati01 like this.
    09-24-15 11:57 AM
    09-24-15 12:00 PM
    Amber:
    BNN - Watch TV Online | Notable Call: BlackBerry should ditch operating system

Faith in John Chen’s turnaround plan seems to be wavering as BlackBerry shares have slumped this year. Ahead of Q2 results, Scotia says the company should consider ditching its operating system. Amber Kanwar reports.
    It's time for BlackBerry to abandon its operating system: Scotia - BNN News
    rarsen, jxnb and Mr BBRY like this.
    09-24-15 12:58 PM
    He is just trying to look smart a few days ahead of Android announcement.
    09-24-15 02:32 PM
    He is just trying to look smart a few days ahead of Android announcement.
    Is it really 100% android? We don't even know yet...

#BBFactCheck
    09-24-15 02:35 PM
    Is it really 100% android? We don't even know yet...

#BBFactCheck
    It's 99%
    techvisor likes this.
    09-24-15 02:56 PM
    Short interest

9/15/2015 91,775,803
    8/31/2015 92,148,725
    09-24-15 03:10 PM
    Short interest

9/15/201591,775,803
    8/31/201592,148,725
    Extremely bearish, since any sign of bad news tomorrow would cause even more short activity, leading it to rise even higher. Imagine short interest has dropped significantly from 102MM shares short with a dropping share price. This is not good news! Chen has been silent since last ER when he misspoke on numbers, wake up and realize Chen is no better than Heins!

Posted via CB10
    sati01 likes this.
    09-24-15 03:38 PM
    Some OT general IoT Security files:

?How Europol Plans to Police the Internet of Everything | Motherboard

"One section of Europol's new report, The Internet Organised Crime Threat Assessment (iOCTA), lays out what threats, obstacles, and developments the agency reckons it will need to consider in order to control this potential new avenue for criminality."
    Corbu, morganplus8, 3MIKE and 3 others like this.
    09-24-15 04:06 PM
    BlackBerry will likely announce more restructuring tomorrow, says Cormark - Cantech Letter

The move from hardware to software has not been an easy one for BlackBerry (TSX:BB, Nasdaq:BBRY), and the company will likely announce more restructuring related to its recent acquisition of Good Technologies with tomorrow’s second quarter results, says Cormark analyst Richard Tse.

Earlier this month, BlackBerry announced the acquisition of security player Good Technology for $425-million.

“By acquiring Good, BlackBerry will better solve one of the biggest struggles for CIOs today, especially those in regulated industries: securely managing devices across any platform. By providing even stronger cross-platform capabilities our customers will not have to compromise on their choice of operating systems, deployment models or any level of privacy and security,” said BlackBerry CEO John Chen. “Like BlackBerry, Good has a very strong presence in enterprises and governments around the world and, with this transaction, BlackBerry will enhance its sales and distribution capabilities and further grow its enterprise software revenue stream.”

Tse says he expects BlackBerry will announce another round of restructuring around the Good pickup with tommorrow’s results. The analyst believes that the company’s shift away from hardware is already at the point where it will contribute “next to nothing” to BlackBerry’s bottom line. Though he notes that the changes initiated by Chen have been difficult, he says he sees realistic opportunities in the Mobile Device Management/Enterprise Device Management space and in the Internet of Things space.

In a research update to clients today, Tse maintained his “Buy (Speculative)” rating and one year target price of (U.S.) $14.00 on BlackBerry.

“While the scale of execution required to make this turnaround successful is big (hence the risk rating), we continue to assume there are enough initiatives in the pipeline to make BES12 and QNX a success or at the very least, make it meaningful niche brand, particularly in the enterprise,” said Tse. “We also expect acquisitions will play an increasing part in helping drive the enterprise push.
    rarsen, morganplus8, 3MIKE and 3 others like this.
    09-24-15 05:11 PM
    Security:
    Cyber Risk Isn?t Always in the Computer - WSJ
    Vulnerable industrial systems that support data centers can open a back door to hackers
    morganplus8, 3MIKE, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    09-24-15 05:18 PM
    Tic toc Tic toc...
    09-24-15 05:36 PM
    Good luck tomorrow gentlemen (and ladies)!
    It's been a while since I've posted, but I still read from time-to-time!

I'm not expecting much. Even a good report will be turned bad, but I have objectives that I am looking for from BlackBerry, and I can personally be pleasantly surprised if they accomplish them.

Once again, good luck and hold strong! The future is long and tech keeps cycling.
    jxnb, ZayDub, theRock1975 and 10 others like this.
    09-24-15 07:45 PM
    The only person that could have come up with a name this bad... Prem.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 08:16 PM
    Priv is so bad that it will hurt sales. Please change it.

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    09-24-15 08:18 PM
    lower SAF revenues are a given
    lower revenues from hardware sales is pretty much a given.
    i suspect growth in software/services will not have taken off

there'll probably be some creative accounting for a postive EPS. job cuts help the bottom line in the short term.

the idea of an android powered blackberry has done nothing for the share price. very few people want a blackberry phone. even less (imo) want an android powered blackberry, and i think the market knows that.

i've been pretty bummed out lately. i used to put up a fight and give people demo's of my phone when they questioned my sanity for having a blackberry. lately my come back has been "ya, they're pretty much dead" and that's it. Whatever direction Chen is taking Blackberry in, it doesn't excite me as a consumer. As in investor, I'm having a hard time caring. All in all my losses on BB are a small part of my portfolio. I was advised early on to not have more than 2% of my net worth in any single stock.

the market in general has me bummed out.

all i'm hoping for, from tomorrow (or whenever the Priv is officially announced) is to not hear that BB10 is being abandoned.
    sati01 likes this.
    09-24-15 08:22 PM
    Back in 2011, very few people wanted a Samsung Android phone until the Galaxy S2 came out... People don't know what they want until a good product is out there... Who knows if people want a Android powered BlackBerry, it doesn't exist yet on the market... I'm sure many people told the Gopro dude that his product was �just" another camera... Who's laughing now?
    We shall see.......
    09-24-15 08:36 PM
    http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/49097506.cms
    BlackBerry looks to woo IT and auto companies to QNX platform for in-built car infotainment solutions

NEW DELHI: Canadian smartphone maker BlackBerry is banking heavily on its QNX embedded software platform and is wooing Indian IT systems integrators and automotive suppliers for in-built car infotainment solutions. QNX is a BlackBerry subsidiary that offers various software platforms such as operating systems, wireless framework, in-car apps and acoustics software for active noise control.

"We are in talks with Indian automobile players, large IT houses, specifically system integrators and value-added resellers to give them technology that they do not have and in turn get their services to grow our business," BlackBerry Technology Solutions President Sandeep Chennakeshu told ET.

Chennakeshu is a high-profile Indiaborn BlackBerry Board member and is leading the company's innovation in the areas of embedded software, cryptography applications and Internet-of-Things, among others.

The Canadian device major, however, denied directly working with automotive giants such as Jaguar Land Rover and Mahindra & Mahindra, although it is in discussions with many big-ticket automobile technology providers such as Bosch and Denso.

BlackBerry is optimistic about the Indian market and said its infotainment system will allow users to download content over the app on the go that can be pushed over the air.

"We have transformed the experience of a connected car. A new application that has a new music station will allow users to download content even at a different location while users can make the selection over the phone and it can be pushed directly," the top executive said.
    09-24-15 08:57 PM
    Tic toc Tic toc...
    Wake me up when it's 7:00am, thanks and cheers!
    09-24-15 09:03 PM
    Entertainment before the dawn!

3MIKE likes this.
    09-24-15 10:13 PM
    Let's do this BlackBerry!!!
    LET'S DO THIS BLACKBERRY!!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE and Mr BBRY like this.
    09-24-15 10:47 PM
    Best of luck to everyone tomorrow! Hopefully we some good news, and maybe an official unveiling of the Venice.

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE likes this.
    09-24-15 10:48 PM
113,256 ... 35673568356935703571 ...