View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

693 62.66%
  • No

413 37.34%
    This is great to see...use the money to make money! Way to go Chen! BlackBerry will be the only serious MDM option for major corps and governments now...it will be interesting how this impacts MOBL's already battered business model (and stock)...

Posted via CB10
    09-04-15 08:24 AM
    So did I understand this correctly, spend 425M to see 130M in revenue from Good's customers? I say that's a win.

Ohhh Chen! I see what your doing. You CIO's don't want to use BES12, we just buy all the companies that provide the service so you have to use BES.
    It's a good deal the 160M is for the first year only so if we stick to this number (I doubt it cause customer base will grow) it'll take 2.5 years to make back what we spent but the bigger picture is we just bought out one of the top competitors that wall st thinks can end BlackBerry Enterprise party. What other company is out there to challenge us really? MOBL has a smaller customer base while at the same time they bleeding cash, BlackBerry made a great move with Good

Posted via CB10
    09-04-15 08:31 AM
    BlackBerry has some GOOD news! Wow where is the BBM jaw dropping emoticon in CB10!

Posted via CB10
    09-04-15 08:39 AM
    Good software already secures the Apple Watch and Android Gear wearables and both companies have a similar framework that will translate well to covering many devices.
    BlackBerry to acquire mobile security firm Good for $425 million - Fortune
    09-04-15 08:39 AM
    I love market openings like these...
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-img_20150904_154348.png

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-04-15 08:44 AM
    I might be griping a bit but I wish they didn't have to announce it on a Friday before a long weekend. Hopefully, the market will realize how much value this has truly added to BlackBerry going forward!
    09-04-15 08:49 AM
    I think having an established workforce in Silicon Valley will also help. Good is based in Sunnyvale.
    Sunnyvale? Hope Ricky doesn't **** things up again. Lol

Posted via CB10
    09-04-15 08:50 AM
    It's a good deal the 160M is for the first year only so if we stick to this number (I doubt it cause customer base will grow) it'll take 2.5 years to make back what we spent but the bigger picture is we just bought out one of the top competitors that wall st thinks can end BlackBerry Enterprise party. What other company is out there to challenge us really? MOBL has a smaller customer base while at the same time they bleeding cash, BlackBerry made a great move with Good

Posted via CB10
    There is still AirWatch & MaaS360 but I think BES12 outshines for sure.

Posted via CB10
    slipstream89 likes this.
    09-04-15 08:53 AM
    Financial Times
    http://www.ft.com/fastft/387211/bank...bed-blackberry

Banker fave Good Technology nabbed by BlackBerry

Good news for bankers across Wall Street disappointed by the IT switch from BlackBerry to iPhone.

The Canadian smartphone maker, which is in the midst of a turnaround, has purchased Good Technology, a maker of software that allows bankers and other customers to access secure information on their personal devices, for $425m on Friday.

The deal underlines BlackBerry chief executive John Chen's push into the software market, as it cedes hardware market share to phones operating on Google's Android or Apple's iOS systems.

Good Technology, which had previously filed paperwork with US securities regulators to publicly list shares, was seen as a fierce competitor to BlackBerry as it freed many professionals from carrying two phones: a work device, often a BlackBerry, and a personal smartphone.

Mr Chen said that Good would strengthen BlackBerry's business, allowing its customers — principally enterprise and government clients — to use their choice of operating systems and devices.

By acquiring Good, BlackBerry will better solve one of the biggest struggles for CIOs today, especially those in regulated industries: securely managing devices across any platform.

BlackBerry said it expected to realise $160m in revenues from Good in its first year.

JPMorgan and Bank of America, which were set to lead Good's initial public offering, advised on the deal.
    morganplus8, jxnb, Mr BBRY and 2 others like this.
    09-04-15 08:55 AM

Posted via CB10
    They state the earnings will be accretive, so likely to return more than its acquisition costs to the bottom line, and they expect to bring in 160MM within the first year in GAAP revenue. Good deal imo.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-15 08:56 AM
    We definitely didn't see that acquisition coming!! Keep'em coming JC, but please pay attention to 'our' cash reserve! :-P

Posted via CB10
    09-04-15 09:01 AM
    Time to buy back in while it's being pushed down by the markets falling... or wait for a better opportunity as there's still millions of shorts that need to cover likely depressing the stock price at least until earnings?

Almost bought a few days ago at my original buy a year or two back @ 7.29. The overall markets stopped me and figured we'd get another quick dip under $7. Imagine where the SP would be without this news right now?

Hmmm...

Posted via CB10
    09-04-15 09:04 AM
    09-04-15 09:08 AM
    FINALLY!!!!

I have hoped Chen would spend some of that money and he finally did! I great purchase here, it places a current valuation on MOBL, all in with cash at $ 5.00/shr and declining. I wouldn't want to own MOBL after this announcement.

As for the deal, it gives them synergies among workers/technology, revenues of $ 160 MM, the ability to move margins higher, a tax benefit to BlackBerry and a company that can carry itself. So now we add Good to a long line of acquisitions that are exciting to our company. The sum of the parts of this company are really something to behold today.

Finally, we have a ton of cash and I would like nothing more than to see another deal as big or bigger than this one before the end of this year. The stock needs to close above its 50-dma at $ 7.64/shr/US and that's not a big deal. Then you buy it, once it proves that after a tough summer, the stock is ready to rally again (we haven't been above the 50-dma all summer) then you know you can invest in this play. Few stocks are actually above their 50-dma right now, the DOW is getting hit hard today down 225 pts and that would have dragged BBRY down $ .25/shr ($ 7.30/shr or so ...) if not for this news, so we are having a stellar day! Way to go gang!
    09-04-15 09:12 AM
    Is Good larger than Mobileiron, Airwatch?

Posted via CB10
    09-04-15 09:13 AM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-img_20150904_101422.png
    10$ I hope it never goes down beyond this level
    morganplus8, rarsen and 3MIKE like this.
    09-04-15 09:15 AM
    FINALLY!!!!

I have hoped Chen would spend some of that money and he finally did! I great purchase here, it places a current valuation on MOBL, all in with cash at $ 5.00/shr and declining. I wouldn't want to own MOBL after this announcement.

As for the deal, it gives them synergies among workers/technology, revenues of $ 160 MM, the ability to move margins higher, a tax benefit to BlackBerry and a company that can carry itself. So now we add Good to a long line of acquisitions that are exciting to our company. The sum of the parts of this company are really something to behold today.

Finally, we have a ton of cash and I would like nothing more than to see another deal as big or bigger than this one before the end of this year. The stock needs to close above its 50-dma at $ 7.64/shr/US and that's not a big deal. Then you buy it, once it proves that after a tough summer, the stock is ready to rally again (we haven't been above the 50-dma all summer) then you know you can invest in this play. Few stocks are actually above their 50-dma right now, the DOW is getting hit hard today down 225 pts and that would have dragged BBRY down $ .25/shr ($ 7.30/shr or so ...) if not for this news, so we are having a stellar day! Way to go gang!
    I agree, Chen was holding on too tight to that cash. Nice move! Thank you for your contributions and analysis here. I've always lurked this thread and always look forward to your posts :-)

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR, Corbu, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    09-04-15 09:16 AM
    Snc sp is really struggling these days.
    09-04-15 09:16 AM
    And who's the undisputed MDM/EMM vendor right now ?
    Have to find that table I used when we discussed about the opportunity to buy MOBL ...

P.S: is it greedy to believe the side effect of this may result in MOBL SP plunge and maybe ... the greatest shot in decades ?
    P.S 2: pardon my overheating, but I had the news during lunch with a BlackBerry official (couldn't post it) and I was boiling on my way back home !
    P.S 3 : I LOVED CLICKING THE LIKE BUTTON CRAZY !!!

Last but not least : MODS ! I need more Thanks (one, live for M+8 here)
    09-04-15 09:17 AM
    FINALLY!!!!

Lol. Had to log in to thank you.

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, Mr BBRY, jxnb and 10 others like this.
    09-04-15 09:22 AM
    So did I understand this correctly, spend 425M to see 130M in revenue from Good's customers? I say that's a win.

Ohhh Chen! I see what your doing. You CIO's don't want to use BES12, we just buy all the companies that provide the service so you have to use BES.
    Revenue, not net income.
    Last filing still had GOOD losing money. Though with the combined efforts, restructuring and cuts, they should be able to make it profitable.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-15 09:23 AM
    Video coverage on BNN (you need flash)
    BlackBerry makes largest buy ever with $425M deal for rival Good Technology - BNN News

According to Doug Pollit
    [Good strategy was 1.5 years ago] "You'd better buy ou software right now because BlackBerry's gonna broke and you don't want to be in the dark"
    "We're here to last" : John Chen.
    "I'm so long, I can wait" : Me
    morganplus8, Mr BBRY, jxnb and 4 others like this.
    09-04-15 09:24 AM
    Is Good larger than Mobileiron, Airwatch?

Posted via CB10
    Definitely not larger than Mobileiron, but maybe airwatch?

Posted via CB10
    09-04-15 09:24 AM
    Doug Pollitt on BNN:
    BlackBerry makes largest buy ever with $425M deal for rival Good Technology - BNN News

BlackBerry Inc. announced its largest acquisition in company history Friday morning, a $425-million cash deal to buy rival Good Technology of Sunnyvale, Calif.

“This acquisition reflects a stepped up level in our M&A activity,” CEO John Chen told BlackBerry analysts on a conference call held minutes after the announcement was made. The next closest deal was the 2010 pact to buy QNX for $200-million, the connected car platform then became the core of the BB10 operating system.

Mr. Chen has been telling investors the company was still shopping for security-focused companies to add to his stable, and with this move he also manages to take out a competitor.

Both companies provide mobile device management software that provides security for enterprise, business and government entities. In recent years Good has found success in wooing customers who lean toward Apple’s iOS devices, and as Mr. Chen acknowledges Good has had done better than BlackBerry in signing up defence and aerospace contracts. In some cases, that business was signed away from BlackBerry.

Mr. Chen claims that Good has annual revenue in the $200-million range, and that BlackBerry will realize close to $160-million GAAP revenue from Good in the first year, assuming the deal passes muster with regulatory bodies in Canada and the U.S.

That would go a long way to earning BlackBerry $500-million a year in software, something Mr. Chen has been touting as a goal of his turnaround plan. Earlier acquisitions in Mr. Chen’s tenure have had the same goal: Secusmart, WatchDox, Movirtu and AtHoc (that last purchase has yet to close).

“We secure voice, we secure file sharing, secure alert messaging” says Mr. Chen. “You could see we have a very secure mobile communication platforms. We look at this as end-point connectivity… [the devices] could be ours, or anyone’s.”

Relations between BlackBerry and Good have been tense at times. In January 2015, after Good announced a new system that would make it possible to measure a smartphone user’s personal and business data usage, BlackBerry posted a version of Good’s release that it had annotated with red ink, questioning its novelty and promoting its own, competing service.

“We are in an incredibly competitive market and speak to many of the same customers. What has been clear throughout has been that Good and BlackBerry share similar philosophies,” said Good Chief Executive Christy Wyatt in an interview posted on BlackBerry’s news site on Friday.
    09-04-15 09:26 AM
    BlackBerry Goes Shopping Again, Buys Good Technology | TechCrunch

CEO John Chen said in a press conference that the two companies fit well together, especially given that Goods strength is in iOS, where BlackBerry is not as strong.

Chen also pointed out that the company wants to switch to a subscription business, and the vast majority of Goods revenue comes from subscriptions, giving Blackberry an existing platform to make this transition.

Good Technology filed an S1 in May of 2014, but it never pulled the trigger on the IPO. There were rumors of layoffs and the S1 shows substantial debt of over $24 million.

R Ray Wang, founder at Constellation Research, says that while that debt ultimately hurt the company, it has some of the best enterprise mobility management products on the market.

Its not just a pure mobility play, however as both companies have also begun focusing on Internet of Things technology.

Wang said that this was a smart move for BlackBerry, enabling it go cross-platform into iOS and Android. The result is a powerhouse EMM offering with 70+ security certificates, but the real gold here is the ability to get to a platform to support Internet of Things, he said.
    09-04-15 09:28 AM
105,499 ... 35383539354035413542 ...