View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    The fugly Samsung KB add on just highlights how good Blackberry's keyboards are. Thanks Sammy..

The keys are flat and don’t have the perfected arc curvature that BlackBerry phone keyboards have. (I would know, I reviewed the BlackBerry Classic and it has an amazing keyboard.) When I pressed the letter “M”, my thumb kept mashing the buttons around it and I don’t even have big thumbs.
    https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/design-...150058248.html
    morganplus8, sidhuk, Corbu and 9 others like this.
    08-15-15 10:33 AM
    There was some rain and a computer ... couldn't resit !
    Just to say hi gang !

#e-rehab
    08-15-15 10:47 AM
    so after going thru the 13F, some notable holdings. (on the right side of the page click on "see all holdings")
    what is notable, unlike some past quarters, very few of these funds are hedging their position with puts. A few notes, if you see a holding that is only call options, it may very well be a hedge against a short position in BBRY, we do not know. This is less likely when you see a long position in the underlying shares along with some calls.

Trishield capital (hedge fund) had a stake in BBRY before but sold half of their position (sold 390K shares) and instead took a 1M share position via call options. Their position in BBRY along with the calls is a top 10 holding.
    TRISHIELD CAPITAL MANAGEMENT LLC Details - Whalewisdom

Radobank Nederland slightly increased a already 13% position in BBRY
    RABOBANK NEDERLAND Details - Whalewisdom

David Leone (hedge fund) maintained their position at 8% and did not hedge it with puts, unlike some other positions like CMA
    DAVIDE LEONE & PARTNERS INVESTMENT COMPANY LLP Details - Whalewisdom

WYNNEFIELD CAPITAL kept their 7% position again slightly increasing it and not hedging it either.

WYNNEFIELD CAPITAL MANAGEMENT LLC Details - Whalewisdom

RENAISSANCE TECHNOLOGIES LLC also increased by about 40% their position in BBRY, what I find interesting, although this hedge fund has a tiny relative position in BBRY, this is the 3rd quarter in a row they have increased the position. Jim Simmons is a very known player in the hedge fund industry and runs one of the largest hedge funds, for a little summer reading on him, click below. He was also a code breaker for the NSA while he was in college at Harvard! He is no longer involved day to day but still has a role at this fund he started.

Renaissance Technologies ? Hedge Fund Letters

Simons at Renaissance Cracks Code, Doubling Assets (Update1) - Bloomberg
    08-15-15 12:57 PM
    It's the weekend and I hope all those that support BlackBerry are enjoying it to the fullest!

I support BlackBerry and I buy shares!
    08-15-15 04:40 PM
    Down 30 per cent, can BlackBerry recover in 2015? - Cantech Letter

BY NICK WADDELL

The worst fears have, for the most part, been allayed.

At several points over the past few years BlackBerry appeared headed for oblivion. But under the guidance of John Chen, who is approaching two years on his once “interim” term as CEO, the company seems headed for a different fate.

Chen has provided a kind of calm in his plan to transition BlackBerry from hardware to software. His message has been consistent: we are in a tough turnaround. We are focusing on our strengths in security. We are becoming more about software. We are focusing on enterprise customers.

But this kind of calm, it seems, is not what the market wants.

Shares of BlackBerry are down 30% this year. The trend began in May and accelerated in June after the company’s Q1 failed to impress, particularly with regards to software. Cormark analyst Richard Tse, however, thought the street might be reading those results with the wrong lens.

“When it comes to BlackBerry’s Q1/F16 results, it was somewhat of a head fake,” said Tse at the time. “While the initial view on the results was that BlackBerry was seeing significant momentum in software revenue, using the company’s software assumptions provided on its conference call, it appears “core” software revenue was flat (down slightly) on a sequential basis with the bulk of the upside coming from technology licensing deals which are viewed by the market as “one-offs” and non-recurring. That is why the stock did a U turn yesterday post conference call. But was software really that bad? We do not believe so; the reality is that the financial results are improving and many initiatives continue to be underway for BlackBerry to hit its targets.”

Earlier in the year, shares of BlackBerry fell when Goldman Sachs analysts lowered their target on the stock because they had the opposite take on BlackBerry’s software prospects.

“We think the success of BlackBerry’s turnaround hinges on its ability to grow its Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) software business, where competitors include Mobile Iron, Airwatch (part of VMware), and Good. BlackBerry has set a target of $500mn in Software segment revenues for FY16(Feb), up from $250mn in FY15. We expect it to fall well short of that target and model revenues of $426mn, for two reasons. First, our surveys show very low buying intentions for BlackBerry’s EMM solution. Second, its target implies that it would leapfrog the market leaders in just one year, which we view as unlikely given the competitors’ much better traction (based on our survey). Meanwhile, we forecast below-consensus Service revenues (down 47% in FY16E). While we see significant upside in Hardware revenues, those are “empty calories” as they are not profitable. Thus, we see widening losses based on the shortfall in high-margin Software and Services revenues.”

But in reviewing the company’s Q1 results, Tse noted that BlackBerry delivered 2,600 enterprise wins in the quarter alone, 40% of which were outside its EZ Pass upgrade program. He pointed out that competitors MobileIron and Good have a total of 8500 and 6200 enterprise customers, respectively.

It would seem, from these numbers, that BlackBerry is making significant progress in the Mobile device management/Enterprise mobility management space (MDM/EMM), if not proving Goldman Sachs 100% wrong.

And while Chen seems non committal about the company’s hardware business, upside could also come from the fact the company is also pursuing a realistic opportunity in the Internet of Things space, betting that its expertise in security will come in handy when it comes to making sure things like cars and hospital equipment aren’t hacked.

Still, the recent slide seems to have taken some risk out of the idea of going long BlackBerry. There are currently 29 firms covering the stock and their average price target is (U.S.) $8.54, almost a dollar above the stock’s Friday closing price of $7.66.

That was the reasoning behind BMO’s recent upgrade of the stock. In July, analyst Tim Long moved his rating on BlackBerry from “Underperform” to “Market Perform”. His $8.00 target did not move.

“Our rating change is mostly due to the fact that the stock has declined by 35% in the last month,” said Long. “While we still see fundamental issues with both the service and device businesses, we believe there are a few areas that could improve sentiment over the next few quarters.”
    bungaboy, Mr BBRY, rarsen and 10 others like this.
    08-15-15 07:55 PM
    OT: For all the Debbie Downers and Negative Nancys . . .

08-15-15 07:59 PM
    And BlackBerry says "If pigs had wings and the wind was blowing hard enough . . . pigs could fly."
    Speaking of. If anyone wants a Pink Floyd, Pigs notification sound. Every time I get a text I
    Vocaroo | Voice message
    08-15-15 08:57 PM
    OT:

but interesting tidbits... reminds me of the App Neutrality argument..........

Enterprise Mobile Apps Drive Opportunity | News | Vertical Systems Reseller (VSR)
    Been stating this for MONTHS ... hoping our existing native BB10 developers, more particularly the one that worked with the social apps giving up based on rumors on a recent thread here, to actually focus on enterprise apps!

But nNOOOoooOooooooo
    Shanerredflag, awindsr and 3MIKE like this.
    08-15-15 10:17 PM
    Haven't been on the site in ages...just dropping in to say I've been on holiday and out and about in London this week...seven different strangers have stopped me to ask about the Passport and express either their interest or pleasant surprise at its existence. That averages to basically one every day. But advertising the thing better apparently wouldn't have made any difference to sales...

Well known, and perhaps hated, quote:

'A man who stops advertising to save money is like a man who stops a clock to save time.' - Henry Ford

I have to admit that I haven't got a clue what's coming up or going on for BlackBerry anymore...I hope the rest of 2015 will hold special things, though!

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE, morganplus8, rarsen and 3 others like this.
    08-16-15 05:33 AM
    Brown loafers?
    08-16-15 09:12 AM
    Brown loafers?
    Is it Thursday already?

Classically Posted.
    08-16-15 10:44 AM
    Is it Thursday already?

Classically Posted.
    Da, Da, Da ,Da ,Da, Da.

Da, Da, Da ,Da ,Da, Da.

Sunday, Sunday . . .

LoL
    3MIKE and zyben like this.
    08-16-15 11:10 AM
    Well known, and perhaps hated, quote:

'A man who stops advertising to save money is like a man who stops a clock to save time.' - Henry Ford

Posted via CB10
    Nice quote......but is it applicable?

Is it a question of saving money.... or having the money ?

Their cash position grows "slightly" while going through this point of the turnaround. In the meantime, the emphasis is maintaining costs or reducing, payroll, acquisitions, growing the enterprise /software side...

Remember, all those aspects cost money, just like marketing.

Marketing (that I'm guessing you speak of) would primarily benefit the customer end of the equation which they clearly are not emphasizing right now (by design) no matter how badly us BB device junkies/lovers want.

SO.....when you only have a certain amount of money, and are trying to achieve these other costly objectives.....Should marketing come into play at this point ?
    Mr BBRY, ZayDub, bungaboy and 2 others like this.
    08-16-15 05:16 PM
    Nice quote......but is it applicable?

Is it a question of saving money.... or having the money ?

Their cash position grows "slightly" while going through this point of the turnaround. In the meantime, the emphasis is maintaining costs or reducing, payroll, acquisitions, growing the enterprise /software side...

Remember, all those aspects cost money, just like marketing.

Marketing (that I'm guessing you speak of) would primarily benefit the customer end of the equation which they clearly are not emphasizing right now (by design) no matter how badly us BB device junkies/lovers want.

SO.....when you only have a certain amount of money, and are trying to achieve these other costly objectives.....Should marketing come into play at this point ?
    I think Ford was addressing the question you pose. Are BlackBerry actually saving money with their approach? I guess we can't know because we can't know what money would have been made by advertising the products they've release for sale to the public. I'm not getting into a back and forth about it...I've lost interest in that...just raised the quotation after my experiences being approached repeatedly by total strangers...maybe it's just that I'm really really goodlooking and the phone was an excuse, but it seemed as though they were interested in the phone.

Posted via CB10
    ZayDub, 3MIKE, CDM76 and 1 others like this.
    08-16-15 06:36 PM
    I think Ford was addressing the question you pose. Are BlackBerry actually saving money with their approach? I guess we can't know because we can't know what money would have been made by advertising the products they've release for sale to the public. I'm not getting into a back and forth about it...I've lost interest in that...just raised the quotation after my experiences being approached repeatedly by total strangers...maybe it's just that I'm really really goodlooking and the phone was an excuse, but it seemed as though they were interested in the phone.

Posted via CB10
    Definitely have a good point. Obviously marketing would increase sales, but as we've discussed, maybe now is not the time. It's easy to sit back and talk, but BlackBerry has a professional marketing team and I'd like to believe they have some idea of what they're doing.

Hopefully at some point in the (near) future, everything falls into place to put on a bigger marketing push. I still hold on to hopes that BB10 will gain the popularity that it deserves!
    RigoMonster, 3MIKE, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    08-16-15 09:32 PM

Posted via CB10
    My point is... There is no money for such an objective at this point. IMO.
    There is no money "to save".

There is $5 worth of things to buy right now

But you only have $3....

You are applying this quote as if you have the $5.... But decided to keep some of it in order to save, as opposed to spending it in area you feel is important.

But like I said....there is no money to begin with.

Not even a question about saving the way I see it.
    awindsr and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    08-16-15 10:46 PM

But you only have $3....

You are applying this quote as if you have the $5.... But decided to keep some of it in order to save, as opposed to spending it in area you feel is important.

Approx $3 billion cash savings isn't exactly chump change.... I'd say they have enough, but JC obviously has other plans in place.

Posted via CB10
    ZayDub likes this.
    08-17-15 12:32 AM
    Happy Day gang

Popping up to say HI! and also say that the US Embassy here (Western Africa where my family got relocated few days ago for the state dpt) provides BB z10 to all cleared employees.
    I won't be able to post regularly but will always be reading. keep up the great job Fine People, and don't worry about the trolls they come and go solidifying somehow this thread our own!
    08-17-15 05:57 AM
    Best advertisement is still the word of mouth, and it's still free.
    bungaboy and zyben like this.
    08-17-15 07:16 AM

But you only have $3....

They've got LOADS of cash. They've got the '$5'. They've made a decision to do what Henry Ford called 'stopping the clock to save time'. Maybe Henry Ford was wrong; maybe BlackBerry are wrong. So far, Ford seems to be right, but we'll have to see I guess.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-15 08:50 AM
    Word of mouth goes both ways. The prevailing word of mouth is that BlackBerry are a bunch of losers who are out of business or going out of business. If positive word of mouth were enough, BlackBerry would be thriving. BB10 is years old now. As mentioned, I still have people approaching me in public asking what the big square thing is I'm holding in my hand. The interest is there, but at this rate a fair amount of people will know about the Passport just in time for it to be discontinued.

Posted via CB10
    anon(4086547) and CDM76 like this.
    08-17-15 08:53 AM
    Word of mouth goes both ways. The prevailing word of mouth is that BlackBerry are a bunch of losers who are out of business or going out of business. If positive word of mouth were enough, BlackBerry would be thriving. BB10 is years old now. As mentioned, I still have people approaching me in public asking what the big square thing is I'm holding in my hand. The interest is there, but at this rate a fair amount of people will know about the Passport just in time for it to be discontinued.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for proving my point of view!
    zyben likes this.
    08-17-15 09:08 AM
    OT: Security: There are those who think that other vendors security implementation is at par or has at least narrowed the gap between them and Blackberry. Sorry to disappoint you...

A security flaw allows third-party applications to bypass sandbox restrictions in the Google Admin console has been disclosed.
    Sandbox bypass in Android Google Admin console revealed | ZDNet
    Last edited by La Emperor; 08-17-15 at 12:25 PM.
    Corbu, bungaboy, jxnb and 5 others like this.
    08-17-15 09:20 AM
    I agree, however, . . . we need more mouths.
    08-17-15 09:26 AM
    They've got LOADS of cash. They've got the '$5'. They've made a decision to do what Henry Ford called 'stopping the clock to save time'. Maybe Henry Ford was wrong; maybe BlackBerry are wrong. So far, Ford seems to be right, but we'll have to see I guess.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe stopping the clock to get the things done that they should have while it was running might be a good thing in this case. Let's see how it plays out.

I, for one, still do what I can to show people that BlackBerry is still around and thriving, putting out great products. Some people know and want to know more. Word is getting out there, we just haven't tipped the scales far enough. Maybe they should have shouted from the rooftops about the Passport, but they missed it and I'm sure they know. I'll be very disappointed if they don't go all out for the slider.
    bungaboy, rarsen and zyben like this.
    08-17-15 09:32 AM
113,256 ... 35063507350835093510 ...