View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

693 62.77%
  • No

411 37.23%
    anyone predicting a chance theres going to be another large dip? id like to double up before its too late.
    I think it certainly will dip in the next couple of days although not a large one. After that, once it starts going up, there will be no looking back, till maybe after the ER, when it may pull back for a while, and then then continue a crawl upwards.
    I was expecting the dip today, and was hoping to buy the ones I sold yesterday, but it didn't go down as much as I would have hoped ( greedy?), so I guess I will just wait and be patient.......
    03-12-13 10:25 PM
    Well the roller coaster ride continues for us long suffering loyalists, but the trend since September has been up, and up, and up so there are lots of people in the green. If you aren't there yet let's take a look at what we can reasonably expect in the coming months Sammy is the current growth juggernaut with a slick new S4 launching on the 14th. No release date has been announced but if history is our guide it will be a month before it comes to the US (testing is tough with the us carriers, as we know). Apple has the installed base and brings out new products around June, but the 5 hasn't been selling as well as expected (over expected) and they may need to do something to refresh the UX. But apple has their walled garden ecosystem and people will be hard pressed to give it up without a compelling reason.
    A few years ago, Rim was the top player with an old but proven system. They had a sort of walled garden with bbm, if you wanted to play you needed a blackberry. We've all seen how quickly the us market share shrank for Rim as Apple ate their lunch. Apple is not impermeable to the same market forces as we can see by the assent of Sammy and android and the rumblings about a stale iOS.
    So apple ate rims lunch and android looks like it could eat apples in turn. Who could eat android's? WP seems to be off to a slow start and doesn't seem to have the appetite.
    BlackBerry has a reputation for security. Governments love them to use them and hate others using them because of that fact. Android's open system is plagued by malware and billions of euros have been stolen from android users in Europe due to the lack of security in Google own ecosystem. Because android is open anybody can use it and that is where blackberry gets to eat android's lunch. With the planned android runtime update (timing to be determined) blackberry will be able to port all major android apps and will have the opportunity to run them through security screening and filter out the malware (sideloaders bewares). By the time they do, Sammy may having broken apples strangle hold on the American market.
    What else can I say? The youth of today use android because they aren't the iphones used by their parents. Will tomorrow's youth be happy to use the system of their elders especially if they've been regaled with stories of digital pirates emptying bank accounts. As the youth of today become the movers and shakers of tomorrow will they be happy to be do their business in the wild? I think not.

Enjoy the ride, and don't forget to pick up your photography at the exit!
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-12-13 10:29 PM
    Sounds like a hassel. I hope there is nothing to read into this. Were the ATT staff helpfull?
    Extremely nice and helpful. She said they had a Z10 demo a week ago and it looked good. She said "I hope that it will work out for RIM". She shook my hand after it was all done and walked all the way to the front door to open it for me and wished that I have a great evening.
    DragonFlyer and bungaboy like this.
    03-12-13 10:40 PM
    I just came back from the local AT&T store to order my Z10.
    They got tones of interests according to the manager.

Here is how I ordered one with my premiere account.
    Tried everything, nothing worked but this:
    1. Went into local store and asked for upgrade.
    2. Ask agent to take the premiere discount off.
    3. Login and place order, choose a plan. It won't have unlimited as an option, just pick any plan.
    4. Ask the agent to put back the premiere discount.
    5. Ask the agent to put a note into the system that you should get unlimited data, but chose a different plan temporary in order to order the phone.
    6. Ask for a business card so that if problems occur later on, you would have a real person to help.
    7. Call in as soon as you get the phone and ask to correct the unlimited plan.

Hope this helps. I can't wait...
    Very glad you made it work, Congrats. BUT should it really be that hard, most people will give up. You shouldn't have to run an obstacle course to get it. I hope Verizon is a little easier when the time comes.
    03-12-13 10:46 PM
    OK, be honest now... how much $T are you holding? lol

Extremely nice and helpful. She said they had a Z10 demo a week ago and it looked good. She said "I hope that it will work out for RIM". She shook my hand after it was all done and walked all the way to the front door to open it for me and wished that I have a great evening.
    03-12-13 10:46 PM
    That Vlad guy from Seeking Alpha has changed his tune. I think he realizes that he was wrong. Atleast he is willing to change instead of being a Lemming.
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-13-13 12:06 AM
    OK, be honest now... how much $T are you holding? lol
    I came straight after work, so maybe it was the clothing
    03-13-13 12:19 AM
    In terms of S4 launch, remember BB almost hit 52 week high before launch and then crashed after knowing that it will not launched in USA so same thing can happen to Sammy. They are just announcing the phone, not ready to ship/sell this week so that could help BB and Apple. It could take weeks/months depending on how much Sammy bribed executives to prioritizethe testing .
    Also if S4 is same old plasticy, anroid OS without any new appealing features it can also help BB. We just never know what is gonna happen. I think BB is under valued and beaten down so sammy is threat to Apple and apple share holders. Remember Media is also on Apple side so they will look for anyting to bash Sammy..Oh I never liked video/computer games but seems like I am part of some game here..all fun
    plasmid_boy and bungaboy like this.
    03-13-13 12:30 AM
    Hi my name is Orest and I'm happy to be a part of crackberry

Posted via CB10
    Welcome Orest!

Posted via CB10
    03-13-13 01:15 AM
    In terms of S4 launch, remember BB almost hit 52 week high before launch and then crashed after knowing that it will not launched in USA so same thing can happen to Sammy. They are just announcing the phone, not ready to ship/sell this week so that could help BB and Apple. It could take weeks/months depending on how much Sammy bribed executives to prioritizethe testing .
    Also if S4 is same old plasticy, anroid OS without any new appealing features it can also help BB. We just never know what is gonna happen. I think BB is under valued and beaten down so sammy is threat to Apple and apple share holders. Remember Media is also on Apple side so they will look for anyting to bash Sammy..Oh I never liked video/computer games but seems like I am part of some game here..all fun
    Well, BB launch is different. People were looking for anything huge, as well as show stoppers. The fact that nothing really "big and new" was announced. Then they went on to say the phone wouldn't be available in the US for 2 months kind pointed towards BB's downfall as they were already kind of in trouble and losing marketshare and losing customers.

Samsung is different. Their GS3 is still doing well. Anything new is gravy. Also, Samsung has many different divisions, from smartphones, to TV, to LCD screens, etc, etc. BlackBerry really only 2 divisions which so far rely on each other, smartphones, and mobile management.
    You're not really comparing oranges to oranges here.
    03-13-13 01:19 AM
    No reason for the stock to go up today. But some indicators that I look at seem to point to this stock going for a run up soon... So im in the middle for what it will do today.
    03-13-13 05:43 AM
    My prediction for today.

Stock drops abit at open. Then starts to climb and finishes over $15.10 on the TSX

Please don't use this as actual information im just guessing like everyone else!!
    03-13-13 05:48 AM
    No reason for the stock to go up today. But some indicators that I look at seem to point to this stock going for a run up soon... So im in the middle for what it will do today.
    What indicators?
    03-13-13 05:54 AM
    If there is a surprise announcement by Verizon for march 15th the stock is going to go up strong.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    03-13-13 05:54 AM
    If BB thought the government and corporations left them in droves, they would see what left leave in the hands of the Chinese. This is not just hardware like Lenovo and Thinkpads, this would be the secure servers as well. It would be the end of BBRY.
    03-13-13 07:08 AM
    Security is important to some.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 8:35 PM GMT

Google agreed to pay a $7 million fine in the United States on Tuesday for stealthily collecting data from private Wi-Fi hotspots in a mapping service slip that irked an array of countries. . . . . . .

In a legal settlement with attorneys general in 38 states, the Internet giant also agreed to ramp up employee training about data privacy and back a nationwide campaign to teach people about securing wireless networks. . . . . .

. . . . . . Nonprofit group Consumer Watchdog dismissed the fine and conditions in the agreement as insignificant for the multi-billion-dollar company.

"The $7 million penalty is pocket change for Google," said Consumer Watchdog privacy project director John Simpson.

"Asking Google to educate consumers about privacy is like asking the fox to teach the chickens how to ensure the security of their coop." . . . . . .
    03-13-13 07:45 AM
    Where is the media outcry . . . . . . .

HTC to miss target for One roll out, pushes it to April instead

Tech Radar

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 10:30 PM GMT

Mobile retailer Clove revealed today that it won't start selling the HTC One in the U.K. on March 15 as previously announced, and in the process opened up a Pandora's box of revelations about the phone's global availability.

Turns out the delay affects all global shipments - all, that is, except O2 in Germany.

"We will start fulfilling pre-orders by end of March in certain markets and will roll out to more markets as we approach April," HTC said in a statement sent to TechRadar.

Clove's announcement pinned the phone's U.K. launch on March 29, though HTC offered no specific shipping date for pre-orders.

HTC's brief statement and Clove's website-posted words gave nothing by way of explanation for the April roll out. The only clue we have to go on comes from Clove, signaling that the root of the issue stems from the phone maker:

"We apologise for this delay, but you will appreciate that this is out of our control," read Clove's post.

March was pegged as the target time for the One to reach a number of markets, however an exact U.S. release date was never revealed.

Investment bank KGI Securities claimed to have information that certain components of the new phone, including its signature camera module, were in short supply.

Supply issues for the camera or other parts are likely the culprit here, but we'll update this story when and if we receive official word.

They no press is bad press, but with Samsung's impending Galaxy S4 launch, HTC might want to stir up some positive news for its new phone ASAP.
    03-13-13 07:47 AM
    Hardly a peep about this . . . . .

Microsoft Is Currently Experiencing Hotmail, Outlook And SkyDrive Service Disruptions

TechCrunch

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 1:31 AM GMT

As we reported last month, Microsoft decided to start migrating its old-school Hotmail users over to its shiny new Outlook service. That migration process might not be going so well, as users have flooded sites like Twitter with reports of downtime to the tune of three hours. Its migration approach was to be a slow one, with the move being optional at first.

Regardless of the reason, three hours is a long time to not be able to check your email. Upon visiting the Outlook status site, the message looks grim, but doesn’t call it a full outage, with Outlook and SkyDrive being affected as well:

The Hotmail and Outlook issues are described as an issue with displaying all of your emails, while SkyDrive is having file-editing problems. These are important features for these products, obviously. The status site also shows that a Calendar issue was recently resolved, with the only details provided being that the issue had to do with “maintenance.” Perhaps this was the migration that we were all waiting for. Oops.

Not happy right now. #hotmail is down and has been for hours. Anyone know why?
    03-13-13 07:48 AM
    A nice distraction.

Android Owners Aren't Real Smartphone Owners

Business Insider

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 1:57 PM GMT

Compared with iPhone owners, Android owners are less likely to shop with their phone, use it to browse the Internet, or watch video with their phone.

Why do Android owners even bother buying smartphones?

Probably because they don't actually buy them.

Well, they do, but it doesn't feel like it.

It's very easy to walk into an AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint store and walk out with a fully subsidized Android phone.

Want to know how easy?

Do a Google search for "Free Android Phone" sometime.

I just did, and amid all the offers from carrier I even found this ad from Domino's pizza:

Anyway, all this is why it can be stupid to compare Android and Apple market share.

You can get an iPhone free, but most people who get them don't. They spend money to get a personal computer in their pocket.

Android owners, for the most part, are just looking for a new cellphone, and will take whatever is handed to them at the store that doesn't cost any extra money. These days, that's usually an Android phone.
    03-13-13 07:51 AM
    BlackBerry Z10 Being Received Very Well: Singh: Video - Bloomberg

fantastic interview

I'm leaning towards some kind of a deal with Lenovo in a near future.
    03-13-13 07:56 AM
    From the Motley Fool. Kind of positive actually.

What to Watch for in BlackBerry's Earnings Report

What to Watch for in BlackBerry's Earnings Report (BBRY)

By Adam Levine-Weinberg
    March 12, 2013

At this time last year, virtually everybody had left BlackBerry (NASDAQ: BBRY ) for dead. Repeated delays in launching phones running the new BB10 operating system left BlackBerry far behind Apple's (NASDAQ: AAPL ) iOS, as well as Samsung and other competitors using Google's (NASDAQ: GOOG ) Android operating system. Even Nokia's new Lumia smartphones beat BB10 to market and exceeded sales expectations last fall.

However, BlackBerry got back into the game this year, officially unveiling the Z10 and Q10 smartphones on Jan. 30. Anticipation of that launch event drove BlackBerry's stock up from its September low of $6.22 to more than $18.

Since then, the stock has receded somewhat amid renewed debate over the platform's likely success and competing views on initial sales trends. Investors will get some early insight into BlackBerry's trajectory when the company reports earnings in two weeks. Here's what you should look for.

Z10 Sales
    BlackBerry's all-touch Z10 smartphone went on sale in the U.K. the day after the launch event, and has since gone on sale in Canada and a number of smaller BlackBerry markets. (U.S. sales are expected to begin later this month.) There is a great deal of uncertainty about early Z10 sales trends. Analysts have been throwing out very low sales estimates -- typically under 1 million units -- for Q4, which covers the first month or so of shipments. Anything greater than 1 million units sold last quarter would be a very strong result, while a total less than 500,000 would be somewhat troubling.

However, early Z10 sales figures will not tell the whole BlackBerry story. The upcoming Q10 smartphone is likely to appeal more to BlackBerry's traditional base, and could therefore be more popular initially. By contrast, the Z10 is attempting to woo consumers away from the iPhone and various Android devices. Given the strength of those two franchises, it would be naive to expect the Z10 to gain traction immediately.

Sales mix
    While BlackBerry is not going to challenge Apple or Samsung for smartphone dominance any time soon, CEO Thorsten Heins has stated on several occasions that many Z10 buyers are coming from other platforms. Such "conquests" made up as much as 45% of early Z10 sales. It will be important to listen for any comments on the earnings call about whether this high rate of conquest sales has continued. The iPhone and Android user bases dwarf the current BlackBerry user base, so convincing some people to switch is critical for the platform's success.

Balance sheet
    Of course, BlackBerry's financial results are also important. However, one-time launch costs probably weighed heavily on last quarter's profitability. The most important financial metric to watch, therefore, is BlackBerry's cash and investments balance. Surprisingly, BlackBerry was able to add nearly $1 billion of cash and investments to its balance sheet in the first three quarters of FY13, despite losing money, thanks to solid working capital management and restrained capital expenditures. However, BlackBerry now needs to use cash to build up inventory of BB10 devices and to market them. It will be important for the company to reassure investors that it has enough cash to do so; a cash and investments balance greater than $2 billion at the end of the quarter should be sufficient for that purpose.

Foolish conclusion
    BlackBerry investors should thus be looking for three things when BlackBerry reports earnings this month. First, did the company manage to hit 1 million Z10 sales (or close to that level)? Second, are iPhone and Android users continuing to switch to BB10? Third, does BlackBerry still have a cash cushion of at least $2 billion? If the answer to all three questions is "yes," BlackBerry investors could see nice gains this year.

Despite gaining an enviable lead with its Android operating system, the market isn't sold on Google. That's why it's more important than ever to understand each piece of Google's sprawling empire. In The Motley Fool's new premium research report on Google, we break down the risks and potential rewards for Google investors. Simply click here now to unlock your copy of this invaluable resource.
    03-13-13 08:03 AM
    BlackBerry Z10 Being Received Very Well: Singh: Video - Bloomberg

fantastic interview

I'm leaning towards some kind of a deal with Lenovo in a near future.
    From the way he was talking sales do seem really good. I'm pumped.
    03-13-13 08:06 AM
    03-13-13 08:12 AM
    Using "RIM" in the headline alone tells me they didn't do much research.
    StormieTwo likes this.
    03-13-13 08:16 AM
    Using "RIM" in the headline alone tells me they didn't do much research.
    AFAIK, Research In Motion is still the official company name but will be changed at the next shareholders meeting to Blackberry. The ticker symbol has changed, but I don;t think the company name has officially changed yet. I won't comment or vouch for the rest of the article....
    03-13-13 08:23 AM
104,878 ... 346347348349350 ...