Voters
1110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

694 62.52%
  • No

416 37.48%
    Apple China sales slowing:

APPLE 3Q GREATER CHINA SALES $13.23B, DOWN 21% VS 2Q $16.82B
    To be fair, the second quarter included the Chinese New Year, which is the single largest spending holidays for the Chinese market. It is estimated few times larger than Black Friday in the US market.
    theRock1975 and sati01 like this.
    07-21-15 05:13 PM
    On the security file:

FTC says LifeLock lied and failed to protect consumers again. Shares fall 50%

How bad it can get? Hacking incidents are multiplying and a company that watches over consumers is being investigated for data insecurity.

Its getting ugly out there for consumer data safety.

Not only are hackers stealing data left and right, but Lifelock, a company that claims to guard customers personal information, has been called out for the second time over deceitful ads and shoddy security practices.

On Tuesday, the Federal Trade Commission announced it is taking action against LifeLock LOCK -49.10% for allegedly lying about its identify protection services (again), and for failing to follow earlier orders about how it must treat consumer data.
    FTC accuses LifeLock of violating settlement over data services - Fortune
    Corbu, bungaboy, zyben and 6 others like this.
    07-21-15 05:17 PM
    To be fair, the second quarter included the Chinese New Year, which is the single largest spending holidays for the Chinese market. It is estimated few times larger than Black Friday in the US market.
    I thought Singles Day (November 11) was supposed to be the big day for phone sales.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, zyben, sidhuk and 1 others like this.
    07-21-15 05:44 PM
    Do you not think the analysts know this?

"Apple Inc.’s iPhone shipments for the fiscal third quarter and the company’s revenue forecast for the current period missed analysts’ projections, raising questions over whether demand for the device has peaked. Shares fell as much as 8.8 per cent in extended trading."
    07-21-15 05:49 PM
    I thought Singles Day (November 11) was supposed to be the big day for phone sales.

Posted via CB10
    Haha, heard that it was the big day for Momo before and now Uber.
    07-21-15 05:50 PM

"Apple Inc.’s iPhone shipments for the fiscal third quarter and the company’s revenue forecast for the current period missed analysts’ projections, raising questions over whether demand for the device has peaked. Shares fell as much as 8.8 per cent in extended trading."
    If you had follow the call, AAPL intentionally did not stuff the channel in order to compress the revenue recorded this quarter and push it to balance out the next one.
    07-21-15 05:51 PM

If you had follow the call, AAPL intentionally did not stuff the channel in order to compress the revenue recorded this quarter and push it to balance out the next one.
    Huh? It seems you are just pulling stuff out of the grab bag of scripted excuses . . .
    sidhuk, zyben, La Emperor and 3 others like this.
    07-21-15 06:00 PM
    07-21-15 06:08 PM
    Huh? It seems you are just pulling stuff out of the grab bag of scripted excuses . . .
    Lol, I am the only one who accuses AAPL of squeezing this quarter to pat next quarter by not stuffing the channel.
    07-21-15 06:14 PM
    Its not just the software it's the underlying data. They are one of the few companies with their own underlying data formerly known as Navteq. I believe they, TomTom and Google are the only ones with this kind of sophisticated data. That data has to be collected street by street and doesn't come cheap.
    Where do Garmin and Magellan get their info? Just curious.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-15 06:20 PM
    Ok ... some of the regular posters in this thread are misbehaving almost as badly as the, uh, irregular ones.

Remember, only you can keep this thread on topic.

CDM76 and Superfly_FR like this.
    07-21-15 06:29 PM
    Lol, I am the only one who accuses AAPL of squeezing this quarter to pat next quarter by not stuffing the channel.
    Based on their rumored run numbers for the next iphone, they're planning on stuffing channels for the entire next fiscal. The hard truth, in my opinion, is that all smartphone markets are saturated. New phones are getting shorter and shorter purchase run durations. Apple is getting ready for the big dump.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, zyben, Mr BBRY and 1 others like this.
    07-21-15 06:31 PM
    OT: (kinda)

Hackers Remotely Kill a Jeep on the Highway—With Me in It

kinda long, so here is the link instead and the video:

Hackers Remotely Kill a Jeep on the Highway?With Me in It | WIRED

http://dp8hsntg6do36.cloudfront.net/...580efelow.webm

will this be the new reality?

Will the BB product be in more demand ?
    07-21-15 07:34 PM
    Where do Garmin and Magellan get their info? Just curious.

Posted via CB10
    Garmin I pretty sure still gets their mapping and their real time traffic data from Navteq (Nokia)

Magellan used Navteq until 2010 when they switched to Tele Atlas (Tom Tom)

Thats why the valuation is so high. Duplicating that information is extremely expensive.
    07-21-15 08:12 PM
    Sorry gang, been busy with work. LOL.
    Just want to share some bad pictures from my BlackBerry Passport. Its great to be disconnected for ten days!!!!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-img_20150713_114743.jpg

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-img_20150713_112631.jpg

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-img_20150714_200811.jpg

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-img_20150719_211340.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-img_20150713_112635.jpg  
    07-21-15 08:50 PM
    OT: (kinda)

Hackers Remotely Kill a Jeep on the HighwayWith Me in It

kinda long, so here is the link instead and the video:

Hackers Remotely Kill a Jeep on the Highway?With Me in It | WIRED

[video]http://dp8hsntg6do36.cloudfront.net/55ad80d461646d4db7000005/531bc5de-3185-49d1-ae1d-2e4acb580efelow.webm[/url]

will this be the new reality?

Will the BB product be in more demand ?
    Last I read, Chrysler UConnect 8.4 systems using the 8.4" screens are QNX based. UConnect 5.0 systems using the 5" screens are Microsoft based. The article didn't say which version of UConnect they compromised.

There are too many OEM suppliers involved in making a car. Even if QNX was found to be "unhackable" a vulnerability could've been introduced by another OEM supplier's product or by the auto manufacturer's programmers themselves. Hard to point fingers here.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-15 09:22 PM
    It was achieved through firmware rrewrite in the CAN bus...basically a distribution protocol... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controller_Area_Network

I'm not an engineer but don't believe it's a QNX (or whomever) issue.

Classically Posted.
    bungaboy, zyben, rarsen and 4 others like this.
    07-21-15 09:35 PM
    Is this where BlackBerry IoT come into play, to help secure these "connections"?

As this one person stated on their BB review of all the new software offerings.... (I'm paraphrasing)

"BlackBerry is like the glue that is required for all these connected points"
    07-21-15 10:06 PM
    OT:
    On the Nokia Mapping Service deal:
    Audi, BMW and Daimler Near Deal to Buy Nokia Mapping Service - WSJ

Audi, BMW and Daimler Near Deal to Buy Nokia Mapping Service
    Car makers see potential for location-based services to become new revenue stream

BERLIN—A group of German auto makers agreed to pay slightly more than €2.5 billion ($2.7 billion) for Nokia’s digital mapping service, prevailing over Silicon Valley bidders in a battle for a key enabling technology for self-driving cars.

German luxury car makers Audi, a unit of Volkswagen AG, Mercedes-Benz parent Daimler AG, and BMW AG have agreed in principle to purchase the telecommunications group’s digital mapping service Nokia Here, according to a person familiar with the situation.

If a deal is struck, which isn’t yet certain, the German auto makers plan to invite other automotive companies such as Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV, Renault SA, PSA Peugot Citron, Ford Motor Co., Toyota Motor Corp. and General Motors Co. to invest in Nokia Here, two people familiar with the situation said.

“The goal has always been to run the service as an open platform for everyone,” one person said. “The final signing could take place in the next few days.”

Nokia Here generated more than half its €970 million in 2014 sales from the auto industry, and the rest from location-based services. The deal price might be less than Nokia hoped to achieve. Nokia built the business out of Navteq, a mapping service that it bought in 2008 for $8.1 billion.

Nokia declined to comment. Audi, Daimler and BMW also declined to comment.

The German car makers entered the bidding after Nokia announced in April that it was considering a sale in the wake of its acquisition of Alcatel-Lucent and its plan to focus on its telecom-equipment business.

The car makers feared that Nokia Here’s technology—the most advanced digital map of the world’s major road networks—could fall into the hands of Google Inc., Uber Technologies Inc. or Apple Inc. That would put auto makers at risk of losing control of information systems inside the car that are vital to self-driving cars and future automotive safety systems.

Separately, German auto-parts supplier Robert Bosch GmbH and the Dutch digital mapping company TomTom NV agreed to work together to develop high-definition digital maps needed for self-driving cars, the companies said on Tuesday.

“We will only be able to have self-driving vehicles on the highway in 2020 with highly accurate maps,” said Dirk Hoheisel, Bosch general manager, in a written statement.

Bosch said it will provide technology to make TomTom digital maps more accurate and better able to incorporate data produced by the automobile’s systems.

“We want to have highly accurate maps for self-driving vehicles of all highways and similar roads in Germany by the end of 2015,” said Jan-Maarten de Vries, a TomTom automotive division vice president.

Car makers say the car could become a platform for generating income—from location-based services that find nearby restaurants or parking garages, or to book hotels and other services that turn the data generated by the car into profits.

Uber, the car-hailing service, initially joined with Chinese technology company Baidu Inc. But the Uber-led consortium fell apart and Uber dropped out of the bidding last month. Uber bought digital navigation technology and hired employees from Microsoft Corp. in a bid to lessen its dependence on Google and Apple, whose mapping technologies help power Uber’s ride-sharing app.

That left a group of private-equity investors and the German car companies as the remaining bidders.

By early July, Nokia was holding exclusive talks with the German car makers. Talks have been bogged down in details, from how much Nokia Here is actually worth to patents on intellectual property. But people familiar with the situation say the two sides are close to finishing a deal.

The battle over Nokia Here has put a spotlight on an obscure part of the technology industry that will play a significant role in the future development of cars, trucks and other forms of transportation.

Today, many people use Google Maps or another navigation service to get to their destination. But once cars become even partially self-driving, the car’s computer will need infallible information about the road ahead and traffic around the car in real-time. That is why the digital mapping business has taken on such importance.

“We are not just building a map,” said Floris van de Klashorst, in charge of Nokia Here’s connected driving business, during a recent interview. “We are creating a 3D high-definition digital representation of the world in real-time.”

Digital mapping services have shifted from an old model of providing a static map that is stored on the car’s navigation system to a dynamic system that provides drivers with information about traffic and road conditions in real time.

Nokia Here and its rivals are developing collaborative systems that would allow each car to upload data to a cloud-based computer network as it cruises down the road. This information is then available in real time for users of their systems. “That’s why we need more car companies involved,” said Mr. van de Klashorst. “The more cars providing information the better the map.”
    07-21-15 10:52 PM
    On the Jeep Cherokee hack:
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/hackers-...kee-1437522078

Hackers Show They Can Take Control of Moving Jeep Cherokee
    Using a wireless communications system, researchers manipulate the SUV’s electronics

Two computer-security researchers demonstrated they could take control of a moving Jeep Cherokee using the vehicle’s wireless communications system, raising new questions about the safety of Internet-connected cars.

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV, owner of the Jeep brand, on Tuesday blasted the researchers for disclosing their ability to hack into the sport-utility vehicle’s software and manipulate its air conditioning, stereo controls and control its speed by disabling the transmission from a laptop many miles away.

The hackers, one of whom works for Twitter Inc. and is a former analyst for the National Security Agency, counter they are bringing attention to an issue auto makers have for too long ignored.

Nearly all modern automobiles, not just those manufactured by Fiat Chrysler, feature computer controls that are potential targets for hackers.

The problem has caught the attention of most major car companies. General Motors Co., for example, has been working with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration on ways to protect the loads of data that a vehicle carries, and fortify a car’s control system from outside tampering.

Auto executives generally admit the industry is behind in tackling car cybersecurity. Consulting firm Booz Allen Hamilton is pushing them to develop common security measures.

The Jeep manufacturer, in touch with the hackers for months, released a software patch last week that it said can fix the security flaw. Consumers must either take their vehicle to a dealership or use a USB stick to obtain the update.

The cyberattack demonstration comes amid concerns over how susceptible U.S. automobiles are to hackers taking control of vehicles or accessing motorists’ private information. Other researchers next month plan to show how they can hack a Tesla Motors Inc. vehicle.

Tesla said members of its security team would attend a conference in Las Vegas to discuss its security, but it isn’t making a vehicle available to hackers. Last year, it sent a manager to the Def Con hacker convention in Las Vegas to recruit hackers to test its vehicles.

It isn’t clear how many vehicles are affected by the Jeep security flaw. Fiat Chrysler this year through June 30 sold more than 105,000 Jeep Cherokees, according to Autodata Corp. The researchers believe their hack would work on any late 2013, 2014 or early 2015 vehicle with Fiat Chrysler’s Uconnect system.

“Under no circumstances does FCA condone or believe it’s appropriate to disclose ‘how-to information’ that would potentially encourage, or help enable hackers to gain unauthorized and unlawful access to vehicle systems,” the auto maker said in a statement.

The two hackers, Charlie Miller, a Twitter employee based in St. Louis, and Chris Valasek, a director at the security firm IOActive, demonstrated in an article and video published in technology magazine Wired their ability to wirelessly access a vehicle’s systems. The researchers, who have been probing vulnerabilities in connected automobiles for years, previously could only take over a car by hacking from a laptop connected by cable to a moving vehicle.

Mr. Miller defended releasing the information, arguing he is improving auto safety by drawing attention to the issue. “We both want the same thing, to keep drivers safe from a cyberattack,” said Mr. Miller, who used to work on hacking tools for the NSA. “All I can do is point out flaws in their vehicles, get other researchers working on this issue and make suggestions.”

Messrs. Miller and Valasek have kept some of the flaws they uncovered under wraps to prevent copy cats from wreaking havoc on the highway. But they do show in a video that they can effectively disengage a car’s transmission or, when it is moving at slower speeds, its brakes. The two researchers say they will show more details during a talk at the Black Hat hacker conference next month.

In February, staff for Sen. Edward Markey (D., Mass.) released a report claiming that nearly all cars and trucks on U.S. roads feature wireless technology prone to hacking or privacy intrusions. The report queried more than a dozen manufacturers in light of studies demonstrating how hackers can infiltrate vehicles to gain control of steering, braking and other functions. The report also raised concerns about companies sweeping up information from navigation systems and storing data with third parties.

Sens. Markey and Richard Blumenthal (D., Conn.) on Tuesday introduced legislation that would require NHTSA officials and the Federal Trade Commission to develop standards for securing vehicles and protecting consumers’ privacy.

The legislation would also create a “cyber dashboard” ratings system to inform consumers how well a vehicle protects against hackers.

“Drivers shouldn’t have to choose between being connected and being protected,” Sen. Markey said in a statement. “We need clear rules of the road that protect cars from hackers and American families from data trackers.”
    morganplus8, bbjdog, zyben and 5 others like this.
    07-21-15 10:56 PM
    Well that Jeep has a QNX OS, so that is a disappointing set of hacks to be allowed by Blackberry. Sure they are just supplying the OS and aren't do the other software parts. But Blackberry might have to insist on providing security assistance before its name brand is hurt by exploits such as this.

The car CANNOT be vulnerable to an internet accessed hack. That is unacceptable for everyone involved.
    rarsen, TimJohnSmith and sati01 like this.
    07-21-15 11:20 PM
    Well that Jeep has a QNX OS, so that is a disappointing set of hacks to be allowed by Blackberry. Sure they are just supplying the OS and aren't do the other software parts. But Blackberry might have to insist on providing security assistance before its name brand is hurt by exploits such as this.

The car CANNOT be vulnerable to an internet accessed hack. That is unacceptable for everyone involved.
    Wouldn't it depend on what specs and parameters were set forth by the auto makers design team? I happen to own a 53 page patent on a safety device system relating to the auto industry, so I can at least contribute to the fact that QNX probably has nothing to do with handling the cloud credentials verification process for that Jeep. I would bet that QNX only under pins all the OS functioning for Quality of Service and Assurance of reliability.

This does though bring up potential monetization for BlackBerry in the future... BlackBerry may want to increase their NOC servers now!
    07-21-15 11:32 PM

1) As noted before, Jeep has UConnect models that run QNX or Microsoft. Was it a QNX model?
    2) the hackers got in wirelessly through the telematics system and rewrote the firmware for the CAN bus. Does the CAN bus run on QNX? Many tier 1 suppliers supply parts to the telematics system. Why are you assuming BlackBerry/QNX is responsible for the entire telematics system or that a BlackBerry/QNX piece allowed the intrusion?

I'm don't have anything to hang a hat on here, but the article says the hackers "rewrote the firmware". My impression of QNX was that they had means of preventing parts of the Neutrino OS from being rewritten. Therefore I personally doubt BlackBerry or QNX was compromised here. It's possible though.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-15 11:47 PM
    Wouldn't it depend on what specs and parameters were set forth by the auto makers design team? I happen to own a 53 page patent on a safety device system relating to the auto industry, so I can at least contribute to the fact that QNX probably has nothing to do with handling the cloud credentials verification process for that Jeep. I would bet that QNX only under pins all the OS functioning for Quality of Service and Assurance of reliability.

This does though bring up potential monetization for BlackBerry in the future... BlackBerry may want to increase their NOC servers now!
    I think this is indeed a great monetization opportunity for BlackBerry. Can't point to any particular links right now but basically BlackBerry hypervisor comes into play here. I believe their approach is to provide all the subsystems of a car in one virtualized place thus allowing for better security.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-15 11:48 PM
    Maybe BB can talk about this (if it is not too late) or shed some light at the Security Summit?
    bungaboy, rarsen and morganplus8 like this.
    07-21-15 11:51 PM
107,408 ... 34723473347434753476 ...