View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

693 62.77%
  • No

411 37.23%
    Give this man a cigar!

I could not have said it any better. He is so bang on in many respects... I love this piece. Had to share, though slightly OT.

Feast on this beauty!

I renounce Apple and all its works | Asia Times

I renounce Apple and all its works

BY DAVID P. GOLDMAN on JULY 18, 2015 in AT TOP WRITERS, SPENGLER

Ive had it in for Apple since the Ridley Scott 1984 commercial, which purports to show Apple as the champion of free-spirited individualism against the conformist world of IBM. Steve Jobs became a business legend by pitching to the Bobos, the bourgeois Bohemians in David Brooks canny phrase. Apple computers perform better in graphic arts applications, to be sure, but if better performance in a niche business was all the company had to offer, no-one would have heard of him.

All this bears on why Im returning a new Iphone 6, after six hours of wasted time on the phone with Apple support staff. This particular instrument of the Devil came into my hands unsolicited, as a corporate phone (I carry a Samsung for personal use and have no complaints). I work for a Hong Kong firm, and require a company phone with a Hong Kong number.

To download apps onto the Iphone, one requires an Apple ID. In Apples totalitarian dystopia, one has to turn over personal data and credit card information in order to download free apps, without which the Iphone is useless. The instrument itself is mediocre, and always has been. When the first Iphone appeared in 2007, Blackberry sniffed at it: the operating system was unstable, sound quality was unreliable, and the handset was fragile.

At the time I had a European exchange student staying at my home in the United States, and he cadged one of the first Iphones from a relative who worked for Apple. Something straight out of a horror movie ensued: He spent hours locked in his room with this alien implant, watching videos and listening to music, coming out only occasionally for food. What Apple understood (and Blackberry did not) is the network effect of cheap entertainment. Apple is there to hook you on its content delivery platform. It has become the affordable luxury per excellence, a status symbol in China something like sneakers in American inner cities.

I dutifully entered my credit card information to create an Apple ID. The Iphone refused to accept it. I tried several credit cards. My company tech took the phone and tried to follow the instructions on the screen. He didnt do any better. The first Apple support clone I spoke with couldnt understand why there might be a problem. Neither could the second, or the third as the query escalated up the chain.

Several hours later a supervisor opined that the problem might be the incompatibility of a Hong Kong phone number and an American credit card. Absurd as it seems, Apple guards its revenues against credit card chicanery so tightly that it wont let you pay for its Apple Store products from a Hong Kong phone with an American account. It wont even let you set up an ID.

I had wasted four hours in order to find this out. Another Apple tech called to announce that there was a workaround: If I downloaded Itunes onto a PC and created an account there, I could do so without a credit card. An hour later that didnt work, either. The Apple support clones were as courteous as they were ignorant, and had all the time in the world to chat. Sound quality on the Apple handset was so poor that it often was impossible to understand what the clones were saying, but that didnt matter, because they didnt know anything. After speaking to six of them, including two supervisors, I was advised to take the handset to an Apple Store and consult the clones there. I declined.

The Apple support people stand out for courtesy. Thats what makes them infuriating. They are like the fellow you dread meeting in a strange city who will give you wrong street directions because he is too polite to tell you that he hasnt a clue about your destination. Its all about the experience, just as it is (I am told) in the Apple Stores. Apple techs are trained to make you feel that you matter, in keeping with Apples corporate message: You are an individual! As the man said in Monty Pythons Life of Brian, Im not, not, at least, where Apple is concerned.

Im returning the Apple handset in favor of a Blackberry. I felt like the Edward G. Robinson character at the end of Soylent Green: The old man is about to be turned into a protein bar, but the soylent people make it a beautiful experience. I didnt want to be schmoozed by the clones. I happily would have paid to get my ID and be about my business, but Apple had no way to take my money.

My query was a bit unusual, to be sure, but it points up the problems that arise from Apples insufferable rapacity: to do anything with its handset you have to turn yourself over to its marketing machine. That would be less humiliating if the sound quality werent so poor, the battery life so short, and the basic functionality so clumsy (Android and Blackberry navigation are far more flexible and intuitive). I dont play computer games and I dont download music, so I cant speak to the bliss associated with having my pocket picked by the Itunes store. Apple has wasted enough of my time.
    Now, how can BlackBerry use many of these points to their advantage? There is path forward, somewhere... Cheers!
    07-18-15 08:45 PM
    OT: 6-inch, $200 smartphone: Bargain or bust?

"When you're knee-deep in tech like many in my line of work are, it can be easy to forget that the vast majority of consumers are not. Let's face it: Keeping up with an ever-changing marketplace like that of the modern mobile phone is a tall order. There are bills to pay and chores to do and fantasy teams that need tinkering with, after all.

Perhaps this is you. Perhaps you learn of the ZTE Grand X Max+ (MSRP $ 219.99)with its cheap price, its huge screen, and its month-to-month wireless plans via budget carrier Cricketand get excited. Its gigantic, affordable, and almost commitment-free.
    However, it's a bit more complicated than that. How much those complications mean to you is ultimately dependent upon your personal needs, but I'd be remiss if they werent examined.

Despite its remarkably long-lasting battery, the Grand X Max+ suffers from precisely the type of hardware issues one would expect from a 6-inch, $200 smartphone. Its processor and camera don't nearly make the grade, and its size and build combine for an inherently unwieldy package.
    The Grand X Max+s woes begin with how it feels. The back of the Grand X Max+ is outfitted with a glossy, reflective plastic that can best be described as slippery. Not only can the phone be tricky to hold onto, but itll often slide around if the surface its resting on isn't level.
    With that said, its the phones 6-inch bodynot the slippery, frictionless materialthats primarily responsible for its cumbersome nature. Fans of mammoth smartphones like the iPhone 6 Plus will likely feel right at home with a device this big, but if youve been hanging out with a more modestly sized phone for a while, the transition will be jarring.

This phone really is gigantic.

Overall, Im just not impressed with the ergonomics of the Grand X Max+. Even after several days, I never got used to using it in a way that made me feel as though I was in control.
    While the Grand X Max+s design leaves something to be desired, its battery is among the best weve ever encountered in our labs. Our usage test clocked the battery at a whopping 6.6 hours of active, intense use, which is nearly the highest result weve ever clocked. For comparison, the iPhone 6 clocked in at just 3.4 hours.

Unfortunately, theres a catch: The reason the Max+ is able to squeeze so much life out of its battery is because its wimpy 1.2 GHz quad-core processor is markedly underpowered. Video playback, gaming, and general multitasking are all sluggish when even slightly pushed.
    The Grand X Max+s standout feature is that whopping 6-inch screen, which is paired with a modest 720p display. For a $200 smartphone, you could do a lot worse. The Max+'s screen gets bright enough, so it's good for outdoor use, which makes up for its relatively low resolution.

The Grand X Max+ is equipped with Android 4.4or KitKatwhich isn't the newest iteration of Android OS. Given the hardware limitations, however, you're probably better off.

Simple tasksswiping through home screens, scrolling through menus, opening appsare carried out with the kind of jittery performance of much older smartphones. Slightly more complex tasks, like jumping from app-to-app and general multitasking, can try your patience.

The problem doesn't lay with KitKat. Instead, the lousy experience can be attributed almost exclusively to the clumsy size and crummy hardware of the Max+. Most of the time it feels like the phone is working against you.
    If a decent camera is something youre after, you'll want to pass on the Max+. Like most affordable smartphones, the camera was merely an afterthought.

What makes it so poor? Well, in addition to underperforming in every-day, bright light conditions, our tests revealed unforgivably poor low light performance.

As far as your shooting options go, don't hold your breath for much customization. ZTE defaults to Google's barebones camera app. And the Max+'s front-facing camera is a meager 5 MP, which is also something to consider if you do your fair share of selfie-taking.

The Grand X Max+ features a 13-megapixel primary camera.

Still photography isnt the only problem area for this ZTEs camera, either. Video playback reveals a host of additional issues that will undoubtedly sour your experience. Most notable is the cameras inability to render smooth, judder-free motion. It'll be fine in a pinch, but important life events deserve better.

With a 6-inch screen and a $200 price tag, the ZTE Grand X Max+ is tempting. After all, the very fact that a 6-inch smartphone exists for this price is incredible. Its battery is an absolute beast, too, able to go longer than a day with ease. But what's the point of those features if the rest of the phone leaves you wanting?

Even in the realm of budget smartphones, there are better phones available like Motorola's excellent Moto G if youre willing to pass on the gigantic screen.

Ultimately, the Grand X Max+ is not a long-term smartphone solution; it is a short-term compromise, and only fit for someone who wants a big screen, a long-lasting battery, and doesn't care about the camera. But if that sounds like you, the Max+ might be a proper suitor."
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-18-15 10:00 PM
    Weekend dreaming ...

Saw the Samsung G6 Active .. got me thinking I'd love those specifications in a Z30 Update, a REAL update ...

Exynos 7420 [Quad-core 1.5 GHz Cortex-A53 & Quad-core 2.1 GHz Cortex-A57 CPU], 3 GB RAM (Passport already has this amount of RAM), Corning Gorilla Glass 4, and finally ..

IP68 certified - dust and water resistant up to 1.5 meter and 30 minutes
    - MIL-STD-810G certified - salt, dust, humidity, rain, vibration, solar radiation, transport and thermal shock resistant!

^ I want to have NO WORRIES about whichever environment I carry the Z30+ to ... I want to drop it, freak out for second and pickup it up and ask is it ok and it to reply in hardware build quality "Neva betta!"
    menshawy likes this.
    07-18-15 11:30 PM
    ... officially obtaining Google Services through their hypervisor would be a big win for them...

I think you got it. If BlackBerry could have the Google services somehow run containerized (new word) for watchdog safety, then there could be something there.

I don't want to see the consumer-side of the market be shut off completely, I just don't see why people complain about the latest bb10. They simply don't know what they are missing. I run two businesses, and CHOSE BlackBerry over iPhone for obvious reasons. It's more than mere perception. It is more like "Well, my x-phone seems good enough, and lots of people have one, so I'll probably just play safe and upgrade to the same thing. Your new BlackBerry is really cool, but I am afraid to break away from the pack".

I do see the next phone with either an Android OS with a bb10-like layer (hub, keyboard, blinking light, certain gestures, perhaps corporate apps), OR stock bb10. It may be a user choice out of the box. I really don't see a dynamic dual-boot, like some have alluded too, because it just seems too messy, not to mention, how does BlackBerry manage that through link,etc?
    Last edited by Bacon Munchers; 07-19-15 at 02:10 PM.
    07-19-15 02:02 AM
    Kinda interesting...related to SaaS :

http://www.scmagazine.com/iot-lab-se...rticle/426366/

And here is Crowdstike's page:

http://www.crowdstrike.com/

Classically Posted.
    bungaboy, zyben and Mr BBRY like this.
    07-19-15 08:10 AM
    Let's review a few forum rules, as some of you seem determined to force the Modfia's hand, and receive infractions...

[WARN]Do not discuss members both past and present.

Do not quote posts from trolls. Report them and allow us the time to clean up the thread.

Do not request Moderator action in a post. Use the report button. The word "mod" in a post does not trigger an alarm we can respond to. [/WARN]
    07-19-15 09:15 AM
    Kind of Off-Topic:

I'm disheartened about the rumors of BlackBerry going down the Android path with Google. Even if BlackBerry can secure an Android from malware, I loathe the idea of Google's data mining happening on a BlackBerry phone. If I have to log into a Google+ account for a BlackBerry, I'm leaving the platform (even if others start flocking to it).

For me it's just simple risk management: for those who say that Google's business model depends on keeping my info secure and private, I'll agree... but I choose not to risk what would happen if Google management changes stances or they do suffer a breach or leak. They already view us as their products, not their customers. That's enough for me to avoid them.

I'd much rather see Microsoft and Cyanogen and others succeed in breaking Google's grip on Android apps by providing alternatives to Google Play Services. I wonder if BlackBerry has evaluated giving that option any support, or if it's too far off.

Posted via CB10
    I set up a Google account on my tablet using fake information, and use most of the Google Play functions right on my z30 through Cobalt's solution.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-15 09:23 AM
    I set up a Google account on my tablet using fake information, and use most of the Google Play functions right on my z30 through Cobalt's solution.

Posted via CB10
    I think that is what some do, but may be an issue for those who need to make purchases and have to provide their official details (for their billing account) ....
    07-19-15 11:27 AM
    I think that is what some do, but may be an issue for those who need to make purchases and have to provide their official details (for their billing account) ....
    For payment use a PayPal account with the absolute minimum amount of personal info linked to a burner / low limit or prepaid card that validates using minimal or fake billing info (it's harder to fake this part though....need to shop around). In any case, Google itself has nothing but a PayPal number and fake name,

Posted via CB10
    BACK-2-BLACK likes this.
    07-19-15 12:30 PM
    ,Has anyone got any other ideas?

Posted via CB10
    La Emperor likes this.
    07-19-15 12:30 PM
    For payment use a PayPal account with the absolute minimum amount of personal info linked to a burner / low limit or prepaid card that validates using minimal or fake billing info (it's harder to fake this part though....need to shop around). In any case, Google itself has nothing but a PayPal number and fake name,

Posted via CB10
    Wow! That is unsettling.

I want BlackBerry Payment system now!
    3MIKE and zyben like this.
    07-19-15 02:13 PM
    Since we're talking about payment systems, I just checked BBM Money in Google play and went to the reviews directly. But some background info first for those not familiar before I proceed.

- BBM Money is only currently available in Indonesia ( testbed ) and is an extension of BBM. BBM is still highly regarded and quite popular in the country. BBM Money runs on all 3 platforms, BB10, IOS and Android.
    - Android is the most popular platform in the country

Now back to the reviews, the most common complaint ( The ones in English anyway ) is that BBM Money will not work because their device is rooted. And I'm guessing these are the Android ones, maybe some IPhones too..???.

So, would it not make sense for BBRY to come up with a fix on this. An Android device by BBRY that could not be rooted to ramp up the the usage of BBM Money, etc. JC is harping constantly if he can secure it, he'll make one. Maybe that's one of the reasons. Me thinks, he needs to solve this first before he moves beyond Indonesia.

Link to reviews
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...bbmmoney&hl=en
    bungaboy, zyben and Bacon Munchers like this.
    07-19-15 03:46 PM
    Wow! That is unsettling.

I want BlackBerry Payment system now!
    Bacon, what's unsettling in particular? The lengths that I go to or the fact that Google's trade of your personal info might lead to a chain of trades that tosses it right into a criminal's lap? If it's the latter, sure, but honestly, where do people think it would go? Ultimately the criminal use proposition is going to pay more per unit than advertisers will, in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-15 03:55 PM
    Anyone have an idea why volume suddenly tapered off on Thurs-Fri?
    07-19-15 07:40 PM
    Anyone have an idea why volume suddenly tapered off on Thurs-Fri?
    Morgan plus 8 commented a page or two back concerning this...traders leaving he figures.

Classically Posted.
    Corbu and bungaboy like this.
    07-19-15 09:31 PM
    [QUOTE=Bacon Munchers;11797215]If you hit the jackpot, don't forget about us simple folk that have your back over on 'the thread'.

Welllll! It ain't over yet, my 40 $ investment turned out to be a free ticket for the next Friday draw (1 combination) . The big jack pot was won so now we're down to 35 million... which is still nice !

And don't worry M. Munchers, I will never forget you and and all the good folks on this this thread. I'm learning a lot here and still have a LOT to learn. ) You guys are awesome, when I started posting on this thread I never thought I would be hooked like this. I can't let a day go by without reading it !! (Maybe it's to much! lol).

One thing I'm looking forward to is the 100 $ party, I'm positive it's gonna happen and I will be there !!

No tears please it's just a little bit of ranting and not my "forte"
    07-19-15 09:34 PM
    Morgan plus 8 commented a page or two back concerning this...traders leaving he figures.

Classically Posted.
    Ah, thanks for the reply. I read that as well, was just wondering what would cause the traders to leave?

I saw a spike EOD Wednesday, thought that might've been a buyback purchase by BlackBerry (just a guess).
    07-19-15 09:39 PM
    OT:
    http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/fc78a...siteedition=uk

Apple, Samsung in talks with telecom groups to launch e-Sim card

Daniel Thomas in London and Tim Bradshaw in San Francisco

Apple and Samsung are in advanced talks to join the rest of the telecoms industry to launch electronic Sim cards, in a move could fundamentally change how consumers sign up to mobile operators.

The GSMA, the industry association which represents mobile operators worldwide, is close to announcing an agreement to produce a standardised embedded Sim for consumer devices that would include the smartphone makers.

The traditional Sim card locks in the user to a network but an embedded Sim would enable a smartphone, tablet or wearable user to avoid locking themselves into a plan with a single operator or sign up to switch instantly.

Networks expected to support the plans include AT&T, Deutsche Telekom, Etisalat, Hutchison Whampoa, Orange, Telefnica and Vodafone.

Anne Bouverot, chief executive of the GSMA, said all parties were heading towards an agreement for the common architecture.

However, with any deal still contingent on finalising the technical specifications it will be at least a year before any devices supporting the electronic Sim reach the market.

The GSMA said: With the majority of operators on board, the plan is to finalise the technical architecture that will be used in the development of an end-to-end remote SIM solution for consumer devices, with delivery anticipated by 2016.

Last year, Apple revealed its own Sim card for its latest iPads. However, it was supported by only a handful of operators such as T-Mobile and AT&T in the US, and just EE in the UK. Those familiar with its UK rollout said that it had not been widely adopted.

The electronic Sim is not expected to replace the Apple Sim, a piece of plastic that fits into a device and could be included in the next generation of iPhones.

The GSMA said it was continuing to work with Apple to secure their support for the initiative. While we are optimistic, a formal agreement with them is still in progress.

Apple declined to comment.

The GSMA has already come up with an embedded Sim standard for the management of connections in the machine to machine market, where physical SIMs might not easily be changed in devices such as utility meters, traffic lights or assisted living systems.

We have got everyone back on one point, with Apple and Samsung agreeing to be part of that specification, said Ms Bouverot. We have been working with them and others to create an industry solution for machines and will agree a solution for consumer electronics.

Ms Bouverot, who will step down as chief executive this year, said an industry-wide electronic Sim was one of several objectives established during her time in office.

She added that about 3.7bn people had a mobile phone about half the worlds population but that connecting the remainder would be a huge challenge for the industry.

Ms Bouverot also pointed to the service that allowed the phone to act as a single point of identity for multiple online services, but added that more work was needed on developing next-generation 5G mobile networks.
    jxnb, Shanerredflag, 3MIKE and 7 others like this.
    07-20-15 08:23 AM
    OT:

For rarsen, who keeps a tab on Website breaches...

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/07/...adison-hacked/

Infidelity site Ashley Madison hacked as attackers demand total shutdown | Technology | The Guardian

Site’s hackers claim 37m personal records have been stolen from notorious dating site, with Cougar Life and Established Men also compromised
    07-20-15 08:56 AM
    The horror...lol.

Classically Posted.
    3MIKE, Corbu, morganplus8 and 6 others like this.
    07-20-15 09:12 AM
    Bacon, what's unsettling in particular? The lengths that I go to or the fact that Google's trade of your personal info might lead to a chain of trades that tosses it right into a criminal's lap? If it's the latter, sure, but honestly, where do people think it would go? Ultimately the criminal use proposition is going to pay more per unit than advertisers will, in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    Partially OT response:

Hi DaScwantz. I was referring to Google. I am not a fan; not because they data mine, but because they do it with a weak means of security (unlike BlackBerry).
    In a benign situation, the use of compiled data mining simply improves customer service, but a criminal could use a fragment of all that user data for mal intent.
    As for the cost involved, I think that partially depends on who the 'bugs' are profiling.
    07-20-15 11:06 AM
    Ah, thanks for the reply. I read that as well, was just wondering what would cause the traders to leave?

I saw a spike EOD Wednesday, thought that might've been a buyback purchase by BlackBerry (just a guess).
    Can we also agree that large hands are still in?
    I am referring to Ontario teachers fund, and the Billionaires involved.
    I cannot understand why someone would sell when the stock drops 30%. Could they have been playing options all along and made their money that way!? It would mostly be short interest I think.

My rookie mind is a tad puzzled.
    07-20-15 11:14 AM
    Hello Hello,

Can you ask your source if it will have full Google Play services?

Thanks
    If blackberry commits to Android it will not be forked. Hope this answers the question.
    BACK-2-BLACK likes this.
    07-20-15 11:55 AM
    Another article...

Why BlackBerry Ltd. Will Win Big in the Driverless Car Market

By Benjamin Sinclair - July 20, 2015

"The idea of a driverless car would have seemed absurd 20 years ago. Not only was the technology nonexistent, but driving a car was a fantastic feeling that few would have been willing to give up.

Now the story is completely different. Rapid advances in driverless car technology have been achievedby most accounts, Google has made the largest stridesand millennials dont have that same emotional connection to driving that their parents do. In fact according to a recent survey, many millennials said they see driverless cars as a great place to throw parties.

Every year, we are seeing more and more signs that driverless cars are coming. On Monday a simulated city opened at the University of Michigan in which every vehicle will be driverless. The site will not only help driverless cars improve, but will also help legitimize the technology.

The day of driverless cars isnt far off, according to numerous insiders. Most major automakers have said theyll be available by 2020. Google has said that driverless cars will be available by 2018. The market will grow to US$42 billion by 2025 and will account for up to a quarter of global auto sales by 2035, according to the Boston Consulting Group.

So, that leaves one very important question unanswered: who are the big winners and losers from this technological revolution? Well, theres one big winner in particular worth highlighting: BlackBerry Ltd. (TSX:BB)(NASDAQ:BBRY).

Why BlackBerry wins

BlackBerry is already deeply involved in the automotive industry thanks to its QNX operating system. QNX is regarded as a best-in-class option for infotainment systems, and has been winning market share away from competitors (this is not a common story for BlackBerry). Of particular note, BlackBerry generated some major buzz last year when QNX displaced Microsofts Sync 3 system in Ford vehicles.

QNX is in other vehicle brands too, including General Motors, Audi and Mercedes. Thus, BlackBerry already has built solid relationships with key players in the automotive industry. This will prove vital as the company aims for a piece of that US$42 billion pie.

But theres another reason why BlackBerry stands to win: mobile security.

As we all know, security is becoming a top concern as more devices are being connected to the internet. Driverless cars are no exception. If a hacker were able to break in to a driverless car, then very sensitive information could be lost. A worst-case scenario involves a hacker being able to control the car itself.

This is where BlackBerry comes in. The company is still the world leader in securing mobile datanot even its competitors dispute that. So, BlackBerry has a key role to play in this market, one that will be made easier by its existing relationship with automakers.

This doesnt necessarily mean you should buy BlackBerry shares. But this opportunity is yet another reason why BlackBerry shareholders need to have a long-term view. So, if youre good at riding out short-term noise, this stock may be for you.

There are still some big concerns with BlackBerry. But not with this company.
    Last edited by BACK-2-BLACK; 07-20-15 at 01:09 PM.
    07-20-15 12:59 PM
    http://blogs.blackberry.com/2015/07/...e-homebuilder/
    BlackBerry Devices, BES12 Cloud Power Upscale Homebuilder
    07-20-15 01:27 PM
104,878 ... 34683469347034713472 ...