View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    We should indeed be keeping a regularly updated track record of our analyst friends, with both pre and post-ER results... Great idea!

Let's see how these guys shape up in the long run.
    Last edited by Corbu; 06-24-15 at 01:07 PM.
    06-24-15 12:20 PM
    Related stock / Competitor

So, now 3 times the volume of yesterday ... is that an indicator (I saw no news about MOBL, nor good nor bad) ?
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png

Edit : Hey, Corbu, did I forgot to mention how valuable your quotes, comments and research are too ?
    Another thanks forya
    06-24-15 12:22 PM
    Egads! I turn my back on the thread for a few days, and you give me 15 pages to catch up on!

From my point of view, I can't see many people left that can say straight -faced that BlackBerry is dead; that is a fool's game at this point.

Just some spit-balling here, but I do wonder if Chen was sand bagging this ER to purposely hold the stock down, in order to buy back on the cheap. I am not saying he lied about anything. That would be illegal. I am just saying that due to current circumstance, he is positioning towards stock stability, and knowing how frugal he is, it makes some sense.

Can we ask someone in the know to advise on when/how we will know if BlackBerry starts the buying? Will they buy a one-time and disclose through filing process, or do they buy block-by-block? I would think they would do a one-time.
    06-24-15 12:26 PM
    Sry if posted already

In the report Scotiabank noted, "We believe the fact that BlackBerry was able to receive license fees from a powerful company, such as Cisco, implies other deals are likely to follow. The IEEE ranks BlackBerry's patent portfolio as 6th most powerful in the communications space. Using a recent IP transaction, we believe BlackBerry's patent portfolio can be worth over $2B."
    BlackBerry (NASDAQ:BBRY), Cisco Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ:CSCO) - BlackBerry's Balance Sheet Buys Time Despite Lack Of Software Traction, Scotiabank Says | Benzinga

Edit : For those willing details about IEEE ranking
    http://spectrum.ieee.org/static/inte...014#anchor_cie
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-patent-power.png
    06-24-15 12:32 PM
    Egads! I turn my back on the thread for a few days, and you give me 15 pages to catch up on!

From my point of view, I can't see many people left that can say straight -faced that BlackBerry is dead; that is a fool's game at this point.

Just some spit-balling here, but I do wonder if Chen was sand bagging this ER to purposely hold the stock down, in order to buy back on the cheap. I am not saying he lied about anything. That would be illegal. I am just saying that due to current circumstance, he is positioning towards stock stability, and knowing how frugal he is, it makes some sense.

Can we ask someone in the know to advise on when/how we will know if BlackBerry starts the buying? Will they buy a one-time and disclose through filing process, or do they buy block-by-block? I would think they would do a one-time.
    I'm not going to even suggest Chen is somehow working the stock for a better buy. I actually think he should take the time to convince a bond holder or two to retire bonds or convert them (on the next rally of course) so that we stop paying interest on that ongoing cost. He could step in at anytime and start buying shares and that usually involves a percentage of the daily average volume at the time. You will see the difference because those shares come out of the market versus the constant churning of the same shares over and over again. Buying 2 - 3 million each day will make a big difference for sure. The 12 MM shares are well over the allotment he needs to offset stock option issues along the way. God knows they have the funds to do this although I heard from Faucette that they are running out of cash too ...............................
    Corbu, sidhuk, rarsen and 6 others like this.
    06-24-15 12:37 PM
    Thanks for the additional clarification Morgan. It is pretty funny that without a press release stating the name Cisco, they probably could have been more detailed in their reporting. Perhaps they decided to go for great PR (long term patent deal with a player like Cisco) to please investors and raise awareness among analysts and partners/competitors..

And the reason you need to repeat yourself is because I was playing the devils (Faucette's) advocate a little. Anyway, can't wait until Q2 results come out :-) We'll know it was Cisco, and hopefully have proof that MDM is gaining traction by then! Again, thanks Morgan!

Posted via CB10
    06-24-15 12:54 PM
    That's why I like the patent deal with Cisco and ? . It took about a year since the BTS announcement of last year.

New BlackBerry unit to capitalize on patents - The Globe and Mail

BBRY has tremendous leverage with the depth of their patents . With the announcement yesterday, it serves signal to the tech and other industries that BBRY is now collecting licensing fees and it's time to pony up. If you resist paying, a lawsuit maybe forthcoming. However, if you have an MDM/EMM in place or are considering one, perhaps you can consider switching or using BES 12 and we can work out some sweet deal for you.
    morganplus8, lech31, jxnb and 11 others like this.
    06-24-15 12:55 PM
    FWIW, I have been doing a bit of research on the cross-licensing agreements,

It seems that terms are never disclosed and that they generally have the same obvious purpose: to remove concerns about patent litigation.

On the recent BBRY-Cisco deal:
    BlackBerry and Cisco ink long term deal | Computer Dealer News

After reporting a Q1 loss, Waterloo, Ont.-based smartphone vendor BlackBerry Ltd. struck a long term deal with networking powerhouse Cisco Systems Inc.

Cisco and BlackBerry have signed a patent cross-licensing agreement that covers most of the two company’s technology portfolio.

In a statement, Cisco’s Dan Lang said cross-licensing is an effective way for technology companies to assure freedom of operation and help remove concerns about patent litigation. The agreement recognizes Cisco’s patent portfolio, one that is regularly rated among the strongest in the telecommunications and networking industry.

Lang is the vice-president of intellectual property at the San Jose, Calif.-based Cisco. He added that the company looks forward to continuing to innovate to meet the needs of respective customers with BlackBerry.

Buoyed by stronger than expected software sales in Q1, BlackBerry gets part of the cross-licensing agreement with Cisco. BlackBerry confirmed it will receive a license fee from Cisco.

Dr. Mark Kokes, vice president of intellectual property and licensing at BlackBerry said the agreement with Cisco underscores the value companies place on BlackBerry’s broad and foundational patent portfolio. They too echoed Cisco’s view saying the two companies can focus on innovation and continued technical cooperation, allowing Cisco and BlackBerry more freedom to create leading products and services for customers without the potential for patent disputes.
    On a deal between Samsung and Cisco:
    Samsung, Cisco Sign Cross-License Pact for Tech Patents - WSJ

Samsung Electronics Co. signed yet another agreement to safeguard against future litigation risks over technology patents, this time with Cisco Systems Inc.

The cross-license agreement with Cisco, the biggest maker of networking equipment, gives the two companies access to each other's existing patent portfolios as well as those filed over the next 10 years, covering a broad range of products and technologies, the companies said in a joint statement Wednesday. Financial terms weren't disclosed.

Such deals have become increasingly popular lately, designed less to make money than to give technology companies freedom to develop products without fear of patent suits. They are favored mainly by companies that don't use patents as a primary source of profits.

[…]

For Samsung, the deal hints at the South Korean company's need to remove any potential threats in wireless technology, which is valuable not only in smartphones but increasingly in consumer-electronics devices, cars and other products.

This is Samsung's third cross-licensing deal this year, highlighting the company's desire to avoid other potentially costly court battles.

[…]

Separately, Samsung signed a long-term cross-licensing pact with Google Inc., reducing the likelihood the two might face each other in future court battles over intellectual property. Samsung and Google have been cooperating closely on mobile devices, with the South Korean company being the dominant maker of smartphones running Android. Some analysts said the deal will help Samsung in developing wearable devices such as Google Glass.

Cisco forged a separate patent deal with Google earlier this week. The company has been particularly outspoken against litigation and other actions by companies that exist only to reap money from patents.

"By cross-licensing our patent portfolios, Cisco and Samsung are taking important steps to reverse the trend and advance innovation and freedom of operation," said Dan Lang, vice president for Cisco's intellectual property, in prepared remarks.
    Related:
    Press Release | The Network
    Cisco and Google enter patent cross-licensing agreement | VideoNet

Plus this, previously posted, taken from BBRY's latest Form 6-K:

Software and Technology Licensing
    Revenue from licensed software and value added services is recognized upon delivery or rateably over the license or subscription term and in accordance with industry-specific software revenue recognition accounting guidance. When the fair value of a delivered element has not been established, the Company uses the residual method to recognize revenue if the fair value of undelivered elements is determinable. Revenue from software maintenance, unspecified upgrades and technical support contracts is recognized over the period that such items are delivered or those services are provided.

As part of the Company's announced business strategy related to technology and patent licensing, the Company began to monetize its patent portfolio.

The Company's outbound patent licensing agreements provide for license fees that may be a single upfront payment or multiple payments representing all or a majority of the licensing revenue that will be payable to the Company. These agreements grant (i) a limited non-exclusive, non-transferable license to certain of the Company’s patents, (ii) a covenant not to enforce patent rights against the licensee, and (iii) the release of the licensee from certain claims. Revenue from patent licensing agreements is recorded when the four major criteria of revenue recognition noted above are met. These criteria are generally fulfilled upon mutual signing of the license agreement.

From time to time the Company may sell patents, which are typically non-strategic to the Company’s product and patent portfolio. These patent sales are a part of the technology and patent licensing strategy, and therefore represent a component of the Company's major or central operations. Revenue from patent sales is recorded when the four major criteria of revenue recognition noted above are met. These criteria are generally fulfilled upon closing of the patent sale transaction.
    06-24-15 01:22 PM
    Am I alone with this equation ?

BlackBerry + Cisco = IoT.
    And the personal thinking : "we only see the ice of the iceberg".

That'll be all for today guys !
    Have a nice evening/night
    SF
    06-24-15 01:32 PM

SF

Nope!
    Look at this. They see it too....lol
    Mackenzie Health event ? June 24th | Inside BlackBerry for Business Blog

This morning, BlackBerry CEO John Chen joined the “Partnering for Innovation: Healthcare in the Digital Age” keynote discussion at an event commemorating the launch of Phase Two of the Mackenzie Health Innovation Unit. John joined Altaf Stationwala, President and CEO of Mackenzie Health, to discuss the role mobility can play in providing better patient experience and patient outcomes for healthcare providers. They also talked about the importance of security and privacy as healthcare organizations shift to connecting medical devices, also known as the Internet of Healthcare Things (IoHT).

BlackBerry is proud to be a part of this discussion and support the Innovation Unit project. The Innovation Unit is a wing of Mackenzie Richmond Hill Hospital where Mackenzie Health tests new innovations and technology in a live environment with real doctors, nurses and patients. The goal is to create a smart hospital environment where everyone can quickly see where staff are within the Unit, anticipate and respond to patient needs, and route information to the care providers that need it in a quick and efficient way.

Phase One of the Innovation Unit project involved the installation of smart beds and sensors so data and alerts can be generated to facilitate patient care and track compliance on items such as hand hygiene. Phase Two of the project consolidates all of the notifications and alerts from these sensors into an application from ThoughtWire that will push the notifications over a Cisco wireless network to nurses on their BlackBerry 10 smartphones. The ThoughtWire solution ensures that the alert is going to the right care provider. For instance, if a patient in room 101 is calling their nurse, the request is routed to the nurse overseeing their care. This reduces a problem that’s all too common in hospitals, known as “alert fatigue.” Alert fatigue occurs when all the alerts go to all patient staff, regardless if they are responsible for responding. Intelligent alerts enable nurses to focus on their patients and only respond to the alerts that are relevant to them. This allows them to spend more time at patients’ bedsides and ultimately provides a better patient experience.

BES12 is the secure platform that Mackenzie Health is using to deploy the ThoughtWire application to BlackBerry 10 smartphones, as well as to manage the smartphones themselves. They chose BES12 to make sure that they are able to comply with the strict privacy and confidentiality regulations all healthcare organizations must comply with, without sacrificing the productivity of the staff.
    06-24-15 01:39 PM

SF
    Or, as Cisco would say...
    BlackBerry + Cisco = IoE!

Internet of Everything

Thanks for having created this thread, Superfly_FR!
    06-24-15 02:08 PM
    Gang, I'm in talks with Mark Sue, does anyone have his handset projections going into this Q? Thanks

PS. I heard it was 700,000 units but I need it verified. Thanks again.
    06-24-15 02:17 PM
    you are correct 700k

Sue further estimates smartphone sales at 700k units, representing a 46 percent sequential decline and a 56 percent y/y decline, reflecting slowing Classic/Passport sales and the lack of a full quarter for the Leap. BlackBerry could report its EPS at a loss of $0.07, higher than the Street's ($0.03), assuming opex of $305M.

BlackBerry (NASDAQ:BBRY) - RBC: BlackBerry Classic/Passport Sales 'Aren't Great,' Revenue Outlook 'Well Below' Wall Street Consensus | Benzinga

Gang, I'm in talks with Mark Sue, does anyone have his handset projections going into this Q? Thanks

PS. I heard it was 700,000 units but I need it verified. Thanks again.
    Corbu, La Emperor, lech31 and 7 others like this.
    06-24-15 02:21 PM
    That's because M+8 has been on fire with his analysis and commentary since ER!! What a phenomenal resource we have!!!

Like BlackBerry with all their Security tech.....

M+8 is our (the threads') crown jewel !!

Just as an aside to all chatter re: Software Services, JC mentioned in one of the post ER video interviews how "HealthCare and Financials" are the next big verticals to come..... which reminded me....

The "Hbox" collab with NantHealth, (that was mentioned at CES 2015), will be implemented in conjuction with the BlackBerry Software!!!

Remember, the Hbox is for home use.

Then there is DeviceConX.... the unit for data control in the hospitals...

And let's not forget cOS!!

Also...

what about "WorkLife" and...Movirtu "ManyMe".....both offerings on the carrier front...

this should popular....ESPECIALLY since California Law recently passed and announced :

"California employers that require employees to use their personal devices to conduct business as a condition of employment will need reimbursement plans or face litigation risk."
    06-24-15 02:40 PM
    you are correct 700k

Sue further estimates smartphone sales at 700k units, representing a 46 percent sequential decline and a 56 percent y/y decline, reflecting slowing Classic/Passport sales and the lack of a full quarter for the Leap. BlackBerry could report its EPS at a loss of $0.07, higher than the Street's ($0.03), assuming opex of $305M.

BlackBerry (NASDAQ:BBRY) - RBC: BlackBerry Classic/Passport Sales 'Aren't Great,' Revenue Outlook 'Well Below' Wall Street Consensus | Benzinga
    Thanks my friend!

I needed that verified and I had zero time to keep up with the conversation and NOT make a mistake. I'll publish my notes being careful not to incur a legal issue. This thread is fantastic for digging into a person's media work and calling them on it.
    I'm in talks with another individual who is outspoken in their thoughts regarding BB.

Back to BBRY - the stock is even, the market sucks, we are hours away from finding out if Greek Salads will ever be available in North America going forward. For once, the heat is off BBRY! LOL
    06-24-15 02:49 PM
    Do you mean the growth rate? I am pretty sure he mentioned something like this on one interview or something. The software revenue last quarter was 67 Mio. USD (or something close to this). So I just applied the growth rate to it (quarter over quarter).

In my opinion it makes a lot of sense. But well that's just me! ;-)
    06-24-15 02:58 PM
    Short positions:

6/15/2015 90,906,659
    5/29/2015 87,104,418
    06-24-15 03:11 PM
    Latest Price Targets:

Never sure about these "sources" but FWIW...

Credit Suisse set a $6.00 price target on BlackBerry (NASDAQ:BBRY) in a research note issued to investors on Wednesday. The firm currently has a a sell rating on the smartphone producer’s stock.

BlackBerry (NASDAQ:BBRY) had its price target reduced by Deutsche Bank from $9.00 to $7.00 in a research note issued to investors on Wednesday. The firm currently has a hold rating on the smartphone producer’s stock.

CIBC set a $6.25 price objective on BlackBerry (NASDAQ:BBRY) in a report released on Wednesday. The firm currently has a a sell rating on the smartphone producer’s stock.

BlackBerry (TSE:BB) had its target price trimmed by Scotiabank from C$12.50 to C$12.00 in a research note released on Wednesday morning. They currently have a sector perform rating on the stock.
    rarsen, bungaboy, jxnb and 9 others like this.
    06-24-15 03:42 PM
    Or, as Cisco would say...
    BlackBerry + Cisco = IoE!

Internet of Everything

Thanks for having created this thread, Superfly_FR!

Sorry I see it as

BlackBerry/QNX = IoE or IoT
    BlackBerry + Cisco = IoE/IoT + Marketing = HUGE recognition & perpetual revenue.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-24-15 04:11 PM
    Something of interest where end users SHOULD think more about personal security and the security of others! Something I feel BlackBerry NEEDS to immediately capitalize on.

Regina Police Department asks the city's iPhone users to stop asking Siri about 9/11 | MobileSyrup.com

SIRI FAILS!
    n the span of two hours on Sunday morning, Regina’s 911 call centre received 114 hangup calls. According to the city’s police department, it’s all because a rumour started to circulate on websites like Twitter and Tumblr, suggesting that Siri had an amusing response to queries about the September 11th terrorist attacks in 2001. In reality, Apple’s personal assistant simply calls 911. This came to a shock to many people, who hung up their phones when Siri started dialling 911 for them.
    This is about the personal security and safety of your Fellow Man/Woman/Child. In this day of the "Social Media" stupidity like this is like teenagers drinking late night in a park tossing the glass bottles into the grass. No concious thought about the safety of others who desperately NEED to call 911 services. - is this just 1 reason to choose iOS/Android, like really now?!

Twitter and Tumblr, whomever stated this crap needs a force KICK in the head!

I'm disgusted!
    rarsen, sidhuk, zyben and 3 others like this.
    06-24-15 04:17 PM
    BlackBerry Considers Bacteria-Free Device for Hospitals - Bloomberg Business

BlackBerry Ltd. may design a bacteria-free smartphone as it bids to become the secure mobile choice for the health-care industry, Chief Executive Officer John Chen said.“Health-care workers have to be worried about one less thing to wipe down” with a bacteria-free handset, Chen told reporters Wednesday at a hospital north of Toronto where BlackBerry unveiled a clinical alerts pilot project. Chen said BlackBerry is not developing the clean phone yet.
    The Canadian mobile manufacturer is partnering with ThoughtWire and Cisco Systems Inc. to provide nurses and doctors in a Mackenzie Richmond Hill Hospital unit with a portable messaging and alert system. BlackBerry will be providing the software and devices. It wouldn’t disclose how much it’s spending on the project.

Transfer of infections and bacteria between patients in hospitals is a “huge issue,” said Dr. Aviv Gladman, chief medical information officer at Mackenzie Health. Medical equipment in patient rooms, including mobile phones, can carry bacteria through the hospital, he said.
    Gladman said medical professionals are supposed to wipe their phone with alcohol before entering and exiting a patient’s room. A study published in the Journal of Applied Microbiology found that about 20 percent to 30 percent of germs transfer between a phone and a fingertip.
    Hospitals don’t know how effective alcohol wipes are at removing bacteria from phones and medical professionals don’t always wipe, he said. Gladman said hospital-acquired infections are one of the top reasons patients die in hospital.
    BlackBerry, based in Waterloo, Ontario, has switched its focus to high-security software as it has struggled to compete with Apple Inc. and Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. as a device manufacturer.
    So NOW you'll know why the next BB10 device is taking a bit longer to develop than your fashionable
    06-24-15 04:35 PM
    BlackBerry/Cisco partnership to push healthcare towards digital age | Computer Dealer News

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-mi2mackenziehealthws.png

Richmond Hill, Ont. – Packed hospital waiting rooms are a common occurrence at Ontario healthcare facilities. People waiting in these areas are typically unaware that nurses and Doctors along with other hospital staff are bogged down with paperwork which is a factor in hospital wait times.

According to the Province of Ontario, nine out of every 10 patients with minor conditions will wait more than four hours in anyone of Ontario’s 126 Emergency Rooms and Urgent healthcare units.

Altaf Stationwala, president and CEO of Mackenzie Health, said making clinical decisions is core to what healthcare providers do on a daily basis. However, providers are delayed in advancing key steps in the process because of lack of data and workflow that leads to long hours for patients.

Mackenzie Health, a regional healthcare provider for Southwest York region operating the Mackenzie Richmond Hill Hospital, is looking to change the workflow of nurses, Doctors and staff and have entered into a partnership with technology vendors BlackBerry Ltd., and Cisco Canada.

Today, Mackenzie Health introduced the second phase of its innovation unit called MI2 (Mackenzie Innovation Institute-squared). Phase two will see Mackenzie Health deploy smart mobile clinical messaging and alerting system in an Internet of Healthcare Things approach.

Phase one saw the healthcare provider implement smart beds and badges.
    rarsen, bungaboy, zyben and 10 others like this.
    06-24-15 04:50 PM
    It's not all doom and gloom...
    A smaller, software focused BlackBerry is likely to succeed, says Cormark - Cantech Letter

Cormark analyst Richard Tse thinks the various strains of BlackBerry’s (TSX:BB, Nasdaq:BBRY) software business will collectively result in a revamped but smaller player that has a good chance of dominating certain niches.

Yesterday, BlackBerry reported its Q1, 2016 results. The company earned (U.S.) $68-million on revenue of $658-million. The company’s revenue from software and technology licensing came in at $137-million, a 150-per-cent bump over the same period last year.

“I am pleased with the strong performance of our software and technology business. This is key to BlackBerry’s future growth,” said CEO John Chen. “Our financials reflect increased investments to sales and customer support for our software business. In addition, we are taking steps to make the handset business profitable. We believe these actions are prudent and necessary to grow the business, and we believe the remaining milestones in our strategic plan are achievable.”

Tse says that while the street was unimpressed with BlackBerry’s software numbers, he thought they were decent. The analyst notes that the company delivered 2,600 enterprise wins in the quarter, 40% of which were outside its EZ Pass upgrade program. He points out that competitors MobileIron and Good have a total of 8500 and 6200 enterprise customers, respectively.

“When it comes to BlackBerry’s Q1/F16 results, it was somewhat of a head fake,” says Tse. “While the initial view on the results was that BlackBerry was seeing significant momentum in software revenue, using the company’s software assumptions provided on its conference call, it appears “core” software revenue was flat (down slightly) on a sequential basis with the bulk of the upside coming from technology licensing deals which are viewed by the market as “one-offs” and non-recurring. That is why the stock did a U turn yesterday post conference call. But was software really that bad? We do not believe so; the reality is that the financial results are improving and many initiatives continue to be underway for BlackBerry to hit its targets.”

Tse says Blackberry’s QNX also has the potential to drive growth, particularly in the Internet of Things market.

In a research update to clients today, Tse maintained his “Buy (Speculative)” rating and one year target price of $14.00 on BlackBerry.
    06-24-15 04:54 PM
    Indirect Topic: Visionary on BlackBerry's Soul‎

Hugh Herr: The new bionics that let us run, climb and dance!

‎I�ve always had a passion, dreaming of bionics and how to enable the world. Please take the time to watch this and see � KNOW and FEEL how THIS can be the very SOUL of BlackBerry � QNX and the Health Industry! This � with medical and telemetry (even in the medical field can truly transform lives and with no doubt in the patients mind would security safety and TRUST should EVER be in doubt. I see no other company aligned in this nature in all aspects! *‎
    Donovan

Posted via CB10
    06-24-15 05:23 PM
    If that will be the case, then so be it.
    As long as I see one touch and one keyboard phone with good specs per year, and software on a rocket path, the stock will settle and climb.
    I for one would be content with that.

Besides, who other than Bunga goes through 4 phones per year?
    06-24-15 05:32 PM
113,256 ... 34313432343334343435 ...