View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Look at it this way:

1. Android OS with BlackBerry Experience skin: consumers; to be sold via retail, carriers etc.
    2. Android OS with BlackBerry Experience skin + BES: enterprises; to be sold via retail, carriers etc.
    3. BlackBerry 10 OS + secuvoice + BES = NATO, Military, President of the United States, Chancellor of Germany etc. and whomsoever wants it; to be sold direct from BlackBerry to buyer at high premium (I think secure Z10 was sold for over $2000 a piece to German govt)
    4. BlackBerry 10 OS + BES = security conscious enterprises (eg: defense manufacturers, probably some banks etc); to be sold direct from BlackBerry to buyer at high premium

Just imagine the reviews. All the reviews that (irrationally) HATE BlackBerry and diss it for lack of XYZ apps would have no excuse left.

Hardware-wise: it'd be like Samsung Galaxy Edge - which has received rave reviews. So, reviewers wont be able to fault BlackBerry Slider from hardware prespective.

Software-wise: it'd be Android, capable of running full Google Play and all apps AND AND it'd have BlackBerry hub, bbm etc preloaded as a skin.
    What would reviewers complain about now?

Worst case scenario: They'll de-emphasize BlackBerry part of it, take away credit and just call the Slider the new Galaxy. They'd grudgingly rate Slider among top 3 (if not top 1) Android device on the market. They'd withhold praises to BlackBerry. That's the worst case.

I think our shares are going to rock next year!!!! Or if some more news leaks out leading-up to Slider launch, we might see significant uptick in share price this year itself. But definitely after Slider is released with full Android + hub, bbm etc., we'd get all the FREE marketing we need! Most reviewers would be forced to rate it as top Android device because they have ALREADY rated similar hardware (Galaxy Edge) and same software (Android) as # 1 before!!!!
    Last edited by chrysaurora; 06-12-15 at 09:46 PM.
    06-12-15 09:34 PM
    06-12-15 09:43 PM
    OT: I think BB10 is on maintenance mode and we're beginning to see where Chen is maneuvering BlackBerry devices to keep that division alive.

We are really getting all sorts of opinions on this latest rumour... which has been very widely covered around the world.

More food for thought with some interesting bits here:
    BlackBerry on Android? It makes perfect sense ? The Register

But the answer I got was that BB10 needed maintenance work to run on newer chipsets. Ah.

<<SNIP>>

�One thing that philosophically changed a lot from 16 months ago: we�re committed to making software as a business,� Chen told a gathering of analysts and press at MWC. �Our software technology roadmaps address everybody�s phones and everybody�s end points. An end point is more important than �phone�.�

The difficulty with developing on Android and iOS � assuming BB10 is gradually put into maintenance mode � is the dispersal of resources. That isn�t the only obstacle.

On Android, it would be easier to integrate Blackberry's software into the shell; the Hub would most likely be the shell. iOS is so locked down, the Hub would need to be a standalone app.

BB10 is pretty distinctive, and its portfolio of tools now quite rich; differentiating it from the pack of cheap �droids shouldn�t be difficult, particularly if it builds on an AOSP base and is free of the Google-ware. (Samsung has it own app store, and would surely be happy to help.)
    IMHO, the writing has been on the wall. Until BlackBerry completes it's turnaround and becomes profitable, BlackBerry is placing BB10 into maintenance mode. The way forward, to more "modern" hardware, may be through a BlackBerry version of Android.

The Register's quote about maintenance mode jives with this thread here on CB back in March:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/bb-10-d...uture-1010596/

Synopsis: BB10 was built on Qt4.x. Qt4.x will be end-of-life by the end of December 2015, and it sounded like the EOL deadline was already extended a year. According to the quoted Qt software engineer, BlackBerry hadn't indicated they were updating BB10 to Qt5 so Qt is marking the BB10 platform as "unsupported." BlackBerry indicated they are sticking with the Qt4.x platform. There were other threads that indicated BB10 was hacked onto Qt4, while Qt5 matured as a platform. Qt5 is now matured, but moving from 4 to 5 would take an investment that BlackBerry hasn't been in the position to make. BlackBerry's moves to take down the developer flightboards for native development, closing down the Sweden office (that built BB10), as well as laying off hardware developers all are in line with placing BB10 on maintenance mode and looking for options. Android/Samsung and the slider appear to be the first option to manifest itself to us interested spectators.

Chen said that as outsiders, he and his leadership team have no sacred cows. Hopefully Chen sheds more light on device product plans during the annual meeting. I really want a new BB10 flagship all touch device! But a true BB10 slider will do too.

Btw, QNX is on Qt5.
    jxnb, kadakn01, Mr BBRY and 10 others like this.
    06-12-15 09:44 PM
    Thanks Corbu!

They should stop preaching and just do it!

"The Obama administration meanwhile announced further measures to beef up cybersecurity on Friday."
    06-12-15 10:03 PM
    Do we have dooms day filter in CB?
    06-12-15 10:07 PM
    Blackberry needs to create a cyber threat meter. That goes from blue to red in increasing threat. And collect all these hack articles there.

Posted via CB10
    Mr BBRY, Corbu, bungaboy and 2 others like this.
    06-12-15 10:38 PM
    The only problem with blackberry doing android is that it is essentially a hardware specifications race. They will need to have a real flagship.

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag and zyben like this.
    06-12-15 10:52 PM
    The only problem with blackberry doing android is that it is essentially a hardware specifications race. They will need to have a real flagship.

Posted via CB10
    Only in the short-term. This would give them immediate cash injection (help push out more devices, gain more revenue) and in the meanwhile, like most companies invest in R&D, they can continue working on BB10 among other things.

I am 100% sure BB would not just bet the farm on Android. It'd be a temporary measure for them while they ready something else for prime-time.
    06-13-15 12:25 AM
    Ballsillie is a MUCH better speaker than Lazaridis could ever DREAM to be. He's actually a Very GREAT public speaker. Look up the interview with George Strombolopoulus (I hope I got that right) with CBC circa 2008. I was there in person and in no way seemed like he had issues speaking publicly. even during the break the banter was fluid between those two seemed like it never stopped.
    06-13-15 12:39 AM
    Only in the short-term. This would give them immediate cash injection (help push out more devices, gain more revenue) and in the meanwhile, like most companies invest in R&D, they can continue working on BB10 among other things.

I am 100% sure BB would not just bet the farm on Android. It'd be a temporary measure for them while they ready something else for prime-time.
    Maybe an entirely separate product/brand for consumers alone. Delegate BB10 for corporate ONLY and securely?
    CDM76 likes this.
    06-13-15 12:42 AM
    Maybe an entirely separate product/brand for consumers alone. Delegate BB10 for corporate ONLY and securely?
    Yep. That's what I suggested in my earlier post.

(Android+BBskin = consumers;
    Android+bbskin+bes= most enterprises;
    BB10(no android)+bes = some enterprise, some gov department;
    BB10(no android)+bes+secuVoice = sensitive govt departments like NATO, cia, world leaders and sensitive enterprises)

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 03:28 AM
    Whether it is :

Android OS on a BlackBerry

Or

BlackBerry OS (apps/experience suite) on Android

This sounds like it will definitely have a quick and positive impact on the SP.

Based on what they had announced before, re: BlackBerry Experience Suite for other platforms....will this include the "swiping"???

The swiping is what makes the BB10 OS so fast, a multitasking king, and makes the whole user experience waaaaaay more engaging when using the phone.
    bungaboy, 3MIKE, Mr BBRY and 2 others like this.
    06-13-15 07:33 AM
    IBM and Samsung tops in innovation so far this year

From January through May of this year, the top two companies receiving patents were IBM (3059 patents awarded) and Samsung (3052). After those two tech giants, the number of patents received by companies drops off sharply with LG in fourth place with 1484 patents to its name during the first five months of this year. Google finished fifth with 1083 patents awarded.

So where did Apple place? The company, usually found near the top of the patents granted list, is having a tough start to 2015. For the first five months of 2015 Apple was awarded 780 patents, which put it in 11th place. Chip maker TSMC finished 16th with 620 patents. Other notables include BlackBerry (23rd place, 461 patents) and Hon Hai (29th place, 408 patents).

When it comes to patent applications filed, Samsung led the way from January through May of this year with 2487 submitted. That was 723 more than runner-up IBM. LG was fourth with 856 applications. Snapdragon producer Qualcomm was sixth with 617 patent applications sent in. With 279 filings made in the first five months of the year, Apple was number 23rd on the list.
    CDM76, rarsen, morganplus8 and 7 others like this.
    06-13-15 07:39 AM
    06-13-15 07:45 AM
    Seriously Corbu, where would this thread be now without you ?

The concept and participation of the thread when first created was (and is) excellent... then when you began to participate with ALL the amazing info links catering into the theme of the thread...... have made it unbelievable.

You have seriously given this thread legs. To paraphrase RedBull ... you give it wings !!

As a BB enthusiast and investor, I began to navigate the site and stumbled on this thread.... and immediately found myself completely immersed with the info in here (because of your posts, and of course, the comments of the participants).

Your links/info keep the conversation going and inspire others to post here.

I can see why others have selected to make this thread their sole go to point for BB related news.

In fact, comparing the whole site to this one thread.... this thread by far has waaaaay more relevant info !!
    It's all in one place !! (the good and not so good) (and usually first to post about it too !!)

The "News Section" of this site should follow your lead !

(and hire you.. )

[[ Raises my glass to you ]]
    06-13-15 10:06 AM
    Thanks Back-2-Black! I really appreciate it. But as you say, everyone contributes here: that's what is really awesome about this thread. It's a collective effort. I try to bring what I can to this endeavour. Hoping that one day we can all benefit from it and celebrate this turnaround both financially as well as by having become wiser. I, for one, could not have learned elsewhere what I have learned from all the long time contributors to this thread as well as from Morgan and all of you who are so much better at the analysis and investing side of things than I am.

I have also learned something else from this interest in BlackBerry, its underdog status and this thread. It is a lesson that can be applied to many more things in life: whether it is facing some health issues, going through a hard time personally, professionally or in a relationship, one needs to apply oneself, be patient, resilient and tough. We have all been able to share a lot in this thread and that is not so common. All the more reason to defend it and keep its spirit alive.

Let me raise my glass to you as well! Cheers, man!
    06-13-15 12:06 PM
    And a toast to the Mods too...they keep the place clean and tidy...free of the less than desirables.

Classically Posted.
    06-13-15 04:37 PM
    And a toast to the Mods too...they keep the place clean and tidy...free of the less than desirables.

Classically Posted.
    They must drive . . .

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-ford-troll.jpg
    Shanerredflag and zyben like this.
    06-13-15 04:44 PM
    OT: Shane, a great read!!!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-oddballtroll-hunter.jpg
    06-13-15 05:01 PM
    LOL....A philosopher might say: "How prophetic"

Classically Posted.
    bungaboy, Mr BBRY, zyben and 1 others like this.
    06-13-15 05:13 PM
    Good laugh Bunga!

B2B stop praising Corbu, he doesn't deserve praise until he buys me a beer! Lol

Joking aside thanks for everything gang.
    06-13-15 05:15 PM
  22. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    http://mobile.reuters.com/article/id...50612?irpc=932

BlackBerry move to embrace Android may bring unexpected reward

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 05:22 PM
    Good laugh Bunga!

B2B stop praising Corbu, he doesn't deserve praise until he buys me a beer! Lol

Joking aside thanks for everything gang.
    There you go bbjdog!

06-13-15 05:52 PM
    There you go bbjdog!

That just quenched my thirst! Should have asked for 24 bottles and my choice of beer. How stupid do I feel now! Lol
    06-13-15 06:29 PM
    That just quenched my thirst! Should have asked for 24 bottles and my choice of beer. How stupid do I feel now! Lol
    Consider it done! One day...
    morganplus8 and bungaboy like this.
    06-13-15 06:37 PM
113,256 ... 34073408340934103411 ...