View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Okay, before it gets out there through BGR, I want to state to everyone that, yes, I'm going to acquire BlackBerry too, I own more shares than Xiaomi does, about .0002 % of the company and I will continue to buy more shares. There, it is out there. (Now the stock is dropping on my news ........... darn it)
    rarsen and Superfly_FR like this.
    06-04-15 09:13 AM
    Okay, before it gets out there through BGR, I want to state to everyone that, yes, I'm going to acquire BlackBerry too, I own more shares than Xiaomi does, about .0002 % of the company and I will continue to buy more shares. There, it is out there. (Now the stock is dropping on my news ........... darn it)
    I'd be ok with them buying the handset division and have bbry license bb10 to them
    06-04-15 09:18 AM
    Updated version of previous BGR story (post #85007):
    Xiaomi BlackBerry merger: Xiaomi president claims it?s happening | BGR

A post on Weibo from Xiaomi’s president seems to be saying that his company “will acquire BlackBerry,” although it turns out that is not the case at all. G for Games points us to remarks made by Xiaomi president and cofounder Bin Lin in which he flat-out states that Xiaomi will buy BlackBerry. Skeptical of a Google translation of the Xiaomi president’s remarks, G for Games looked at the original text and broke it down word by word and, lo and behold, it seems he really did say that his company would be buying BlackBerry. However, a closer inspection reveals this is not what the Xiaomi exec actually said.

Instead, it seems that the quote about Xiaomi buying BlackBerry was from another Weibo user who stated the BlackBerry-Xiaomi deal as fact. In response to this statement, Bin Lin said that “we do not pass rumors,” according to a Google translation. In other words, the executive was simply telling someone that he would not spread any rumors.

And frankly, we had a very, very, very hard time believing the governments of North America would ever sign off on such a sale even if it were real. After all, BlackBerry still provides critical secure mobile communications services for several western governments — U.S. president Barack Obama, U.K. prime minister David Cameron and German chancellor Angela Merkel, for instance, all still use BlackBerry devices. Rumors from last year indicated that Chinese company Huawei was interested in buying up BlackBerry but officials in both the U.S. and Canada said they would never sign off on such a deal.

Because of this, it’s virtually impossible to see North American governments giving the green light to a BlackBerry-Xiaomi merger, especially since Xiaomi’s reputation for mobile security is even dodgier than Huawei’s is.

UPDATED TO CLARIFY: This original report took G for Games’ translation of Bin Lin’s remarks at face value since the website typically offers accurate translations of news posted by Asian publications. After looking into the matter a little more deeply, we decided that G for Games was way, way off on its original interpretation and corrected the story to reflect this.
    bungaboy, zyben and 3MIKE like this.
    06-04-15 09:26 AM
    Rumour good for 2% gain for 10 minutes. Now we can restart the day up a penny.
    06-04-15 09:26 AM
    I'd be ok with them buying the handset division and have bbry license bb10 to them
    I would be out of this stock so fast if they sold the handset business to anyone outside of North America, the brand is what holds this company together and BlackBerry phones would die in their hands over night. I like Amazon as an acquirer but I prefer BB stick with handsets and continue to promote security. If you listened to MS, you would have lost a bundle on MOBL, so why not hold tight and see where that market goes, it is moving toward one of the major players and I like to think it is BB.
    Corbu, spike12, W Hoa and 13 others like this.
    06-04-15 09:27 AM
    No, Xiaomi is not buying BlackBerry | TechRadar

If you're seeing reports claiming Xiaomi is eying up BlackBerry, don't get carried away - we've had confirmation from the Chinese firm that is definitely not the case.

Xiaomi's President Bin Lin took to his Weibo page to ask people not to spread rumours about his firm buying BlackBerry, but a translation error has seen the message misinterpreted by some who claim the purchase could well go ahead.

TechRadar was told by a Xiaomi spokesperson "this claim is not true at all" and the correct translation for Mr Lin's post reads: "Everyone, please don't spread rumours" in response to someone who said "Xiaomi is going to acquire BlackBerry."
    zyben, bungaboy, Mr BBRY and 3 others like this.
    06-04-15 09:31 AM
    Rumour good for 2% gain for 10 minutes. Now we can restart the day up a penny.
    Don't worry, they are just doing makeup and hair on another suitor, be patient. Let's admit it, BB is worth talking about as a company to be acquired, this is going to happen many times until a real deal takes place. We know the price, we just don't know the structure of that deal. We are basing out, we shouldn't have given up the 50-dma this week on old news, we'll pop higher and rally on nothing again soon.
    06-04-15 09:32 AM
    more news publications with proper titles (with a short video):

Ford rolls out the Blackberry-powered Infotainment system this summer

Wed, Jun 3:
    The Sync 3 software is made for Ford using a system owned by Blackberry that allows its users to access voice recognition and touch screen features. Nicole Bogart reports.

Ford rolls out the Blackberry-powered Infotainment system this summer | Watch News Videos Online

06-04-15 10:00 AM
    Sorry guys, I'm no expert AT ALL, so please forgive me if this has been covered a million times. Is the general consensus now that it's a matter of time before BlackBerry is bought out? If so, is there a company that would be 'best'? I mean from out point of view, as BlackBerry fans. Sorry if this is a dumb question!

Posted via CB10
    06-04-15 10:07 AM
    OT: HALO

Hi Morgan - what's your take on HALO at this level? We've been on a nice run and the RSI is getting a bit high. Thanks in advance!
    06-04-15 10:15 AM
    OT: HALO

Hi Morgan - what's your take on HALO at this level? We've been on a nice run and the RSI is getting a bit high. Thanks in advance!
    The stock is bullish, new all time high, well above its 3-ema, great news and plenty of institutional buying lately. It will follow the IBB Index so watch that closely, as the Index is just holding onto its 3-ema and that sector has done so well. Also, watch the DOW, it keeps dropping down to its 50-dma and looking like it wants to roll over for the Summer. The stock itself is excellent but there are other market factors to consider so watch the IBB index for a clue as to where it could go, a healthy correction is for both to drop until the IBB Index touches its 50-dma . GL
    06-04-15 10:29 AM
    All hail our new owner!

Tim Smith from my Z10 on Rogers
    06-04-15 11:01 AM
    You've got to love these guys... An hour later, this:

BlackBerry (NASDAQ:BBRY) - No, Xiaomi's President Didn't Say He 'Will Acquire' BlackBerry | Benzinga

Another day, another Blackberry Ltd. rumor. Comments from Xiaomi president Bin Lin on Wednesday sparked rumors that the Chinese firm would be acquiring BlackBerry.

A post by the executive on Weibo, according to Google Translate, seemed to say that his company "will acquire Blackberry." BGR reported, however, that the original post actually came from another Weibo user who stated the acquisition as a fact. Bin Lin simply responded to the message by saying that his company "[does] not pass rumors."

Shares of BlackBerry responded on Thursday morning. Shares spiked to a high of $9.94 around 10:04 a.m. ET.

Indeed, the deal would have been unlikely even if the rumors about Bin Lin's comments were true. As BGR noted, BlackBerry still handles secure communications operations for several western governments, including the United States. These governments would be loath to let BlackBerry hand the reigns over to Chinese control. Last year, when rumors surfaced that Chinese company Huawei was interested in absorbing the mobile phone maker, U.S. and Canadian officials said they would not approve such a deal.

BlackBerry has been at the center of many M&A rumors over the past few years. Obviously, none have come true.
    Mr BBRY, bungaboy, rarsen and 3 others like this.
    06-04-15 11:02 AM
    "Create" a rumor then spin it wow. Thanks Corbu for helping us have all these "news"
    Corbu, CDM76, bungaboy and 2 others like this.
    06-04-15 12:08 PM
    Hey fedakd !!

...Now if only I could get The Kid to start posting pics of his trips to the East again ..........................

Well I am not The Kid, but until he Antes up. I'll take a shot at it:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-chinese-woman-laughing.jpeg

Should hold you over until then.
    06-04-15 12:16 PM
    OT:
    Privacy
    At Facebook Summit, Little Consensus on Privacy - Digits - WSJ

At Facebook’s first-ever privacy summit Wednesday, experts were divided on nearly every topic at hand — including the definition of privacy itself.

The confab, dubbed Privacy@Scale, yielded few practical guidelines on how companies should treat users’ data. Instead scholars, privacy lawyers and engineers from Facebook and elsewhere spent the day debating the basics.

For example, what exactly is “personally identifiable information”?

“It means a million different things to a million different people,” Wendy Mantell, a privacy and product lawyer for online-video service Hulu, said of the term during a panel. “People talk about it as though they know what they’re talking about. But nobody knows what anybody is talking about.”

Wednesday’s summit reflected a broader effort by the social network to bolster its privacy credentials. Facebook has come under fire for not adequately disclosing how it used information from its users in the past. In 2011, it entered into an agreement with the Federal Trade Commission, requiring it to ask permission before changing how it handles users’ personal information. The company is currently under scrutiny in Europe over its use of “like” buttons to track Internet browsing habits, among other things.

Facebook says it’s trying to be more open and clear about its policies. Last year, it introduced a simpler, shorter description of how it uses data and an interactive tutorial called “Privacy Basics.” It has also hired more privacy experts. There are now between 50 and 60 people, including engineers and lawyers, focused solely on privacy at Facebook.

The summit at Facebook’s headquarters in Menlo Park, Calif., took place a day before a larger conference of privacy scholars at the University of California, Berkeley beginning Thursday. Facebook employees said little on stage, largely ceding the floor to academics and lawyers who debated the ethics of disclosure and rights of users and the purpose of ads.

But some panelists and attendees criticized Facebook for not doing more to guard users’ information and questioned why Facebook didn’t allow consumers to pay for an ad-free experience.

“We talk about notice and choice, why shouldn’t users be able to choose not to have ads?” one attendee asked. “Why isn’t it easier for users to choose not to be tracked?”

Steve Satterfield, who joined Facebook eight months ago as manager of privacy and public policy, replied that the company believed the ads were useful to Facebook users.

“One of the points that you made is that advertising is effectively a tax on users,” Satterfield said. “We disagree with that…We think you can create an advertising experience that can actually create real value for people.”

During a session about how to convey privacy policies on devices other than smartphones or computers, Allison Hoff Cohen, managing counsel for Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A. was asked about the kind of info Toyota collects and why Toyota doesn’t give consumers access to the raw data.

Cohen said consumers wouldn’t be able to make sense of the raw data collected by Toyota’s vehicles. There might be 150 data points about your brakes alone, she added. This view was immediately criticized by another panelist, a senior design researcher at IDEO, as “inherent paternalism.”

If there was one point on which everyone agreed, it was this: collection of data about people, their social contacts, their activities and their habits will only increase, particularly in an era of “smart” gadgets. For example, self-driving cars might cut down on accidents, but collect huge stores of data.
    06-04-15 01:07 PM
    06-04-15 01:25 PM
    Well I am not The Kid, but until he Antes up. I'll take a shot at it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chinese-Woman-Laughing.jpeg 
Views:	2194 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	356004

Should hold you over until then.
    Thanks but the last thing I'm going to be doing is sleeping with my cousin! Those days are over.

We are doing well today, flat on a day when the DOW is looking weak along with gold, currencies etc.. We need a bidding war with 6 companies that fails as soon as we all cash out together. Now, please stay away from Cirque du Soleil for all of your investment needs! LOL WOW!!
    06-04-15 01:57 PM
    Thanks but the last thing I'm going to be doing is sleeping with my cousin! Those days are over.

We are doing well today, flat on a day when the DOW is looking weak along with gold, currencies etc.. We need a bidding war with 6 companies that fails as soon as we all cash out together. Now, please stay away from Cirque du Soleil for all of your investment needs! LOL WOW!!
    I will support your call for Kid's pictures.
    06-04-15 03:22 PM
    OT : Investment related

"Guy Who Did Avon Hoax Was Terrible at Hoaxes" - http://bv.ms/1eRNSgo

So I guess the SEC does actually investigate false take over news and false news releases...... just not as the relate to BBRY ???

Posted via CB10
    06-04-15 04:43 PM
    Hey fedakd !!

I know you are around and so glad to hear you are making money! I wouldn't normally comment on an off-topic message like this but you did such a good job of summarizing HALO that I felt I would add a couple of more comments to the mix so that everyone is up to date. Their deal with Janssen was potentially worth $ 566 Million with a $ 15 MM up front payment. The payments are getting larger with each deal and so are the potential milestones and, as you so rightly pointed out, this is just Enhanze and not PEG. The second point that I would make is their short position, it was similar to BlackBerry and today it isn't much farther off, at 20 MM shares short, was it the driver for this rally but it is still in the very high 10 MM area now and that is bullish. The best news of all is that they can sign 100 of these deals over the next 2-years!

On a side note, I mentioned recently that I sold my wife out of HALO in the $ 17.00's, I told her about it a couple of days ago and she promptly said that, "no, I sold me out, and she would like me to transfer my shares to her as soon as possible to make up for the error in her account". Looks like she might get her way and now I'm looking for those shares for myself. LOL

The goal here was to get followers to own more than one stock, so that we don't hear from more CB'ers who .... "had everything in BlackBerry and lost". I don't mind waiting for BB's turn to rally knowing I'm doing well with several other stocks. In addition, money from trading HALO allows me to obtain record holdings in BBRY so that's good too. By following the daily ups and downs of HALO, we are getting to see a window into what it will be like when BlackBerry starts to recover, we don't want investors getting out of BBRY just when it starts to follow revenues North of here do we?

Now if only I could get The Kid to start posting pics of his trips to the East again ..........................
    Morgan - I only have invested in BlackBerry and would like to invest in others. What is the best way to follow you?

I remember you were going to open BBM Channel but never heard anything about it. I can't follow CB forum due to busy schedule but with BBM Channel I can set notification and be alerted when you post.

What you think?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-04-15 04:56 PM
    Morgan - I only have invested in BlackBerry and would like to invest in others. What is the best way to follow you?

I remember you were going to open BBM Channel but never heard anything about it. I can't follow CB forum due to busy schedule but with BBM Channel I can set notification and be alerted when you post.

What you think?

GiveMeTheLootMP8.com

Posted via CB10
    06-04-15 06:15 PM
    OT: Not sure if there are any DARA Pharma shareholders here but I bought a bunch near the 52 week low and they just announced a proposed acquisition agreement with Midatech Pharma PLC. Not sure whether to sell or let the acquisition go through and have Midatech Pharma in my portfolio with the 4:1 stock switch? Can anybody chime in on this please as I do not hold any Euro stocks. Thank you. Ben

PS: Been busy sorting out insurance and rebuilding my Pcar since I totalled her on April 17th..
    06-04-15 06:24 PM

What you think?

Lucky2010,

Thanks for thinking of me regarding your investments. I have been with this thread for a couple of years now, and some of you know that I have suffered from a viral infection while in Mexico and that infection is similar to a flesh-eating disease. I found out that I had it while trying to fly home from Cancun. Since that time, I have undergone 6 major head operations that where needed to stem the dissolving of certain areas of the brain. I have one more major operation to rebuild some damage left by the virus, and at that time, I might be able to get back some of my life.

And so I'm not able to communicate as I once did, I have severe restrictions on what I can do until we are certain the virus is irradiated and the damaged areas are completely rebuilt again. For instance, within three weeks of coming home, I had lost all of my ability to hear. The components that make up my hearing process have been reconstructed and I'm at about 50% and improving with additional surgery. I won't go into all the other issues but there are some serious ones that we are going to address in the months ahead. What this means is that I have restrictions on what I can do, I limit myself to one thread on CB, this one, I don't take phone calls and try to deal with issues when they arise as best that I can. I can't operate my 3 BBM channels right now but I do plan on taking them live within the next 12 months. That's the best that I can do, if you want to talk about stocks on another thread, I can't participate in that right now. This is the only thread where you can reach me for the balance of this year I'm afraid.

Now things are looking up here, I went from not being able to walk to repurchasing a motorcycle this week! I wasn't really suppose to be here after Christmas but I fooled some Docs and now I'm making a big comeback so it just takes time and discipline to see this through. If you know of someone who has had flesh eating disease, you know what I have been going through. It's all located in my head and not any where else in my body but that's not a good thing as my nervous system sends all kinds of distressful signals out to my heart and reflex system. That's my story, things are improving now and we are hoping this year will see a complete recovery after one more complicated surgery in the Fall sometime. That's all I can do for now so feel free to ask questions, I try to answer them all. GL
    06-04-15 07:09 PM
    Lucky2010,

Thanks for thinking of me regarding your investments. I have been with this thread for a couple of years now, and some of you know that I have suffered from a viral infection while in Mexico and that infection is similar to a flesh-eating disease. I found out that I had it while trying to fly home from Cancun. Since that time, I have undergone 6 major head operations that where needed to stem the dissolving of certain areas of the brain. I have one more major operation to rebuild some damage left by the virus, and at that time, I might be able to get back some of my life.
    I had no idea. I am so sorry to hear of your misfortune. I am glad that you are bouncing back. But this is just terrible thing to have happened to you. Wish you best of health and spirits, Morgan!

Posted via CB10
    06-04-15 07:14 PM
113,256 ... 33973398339934003401 ...