• Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    BBRY just popped up!
    Mr BBRY likes this.
    05-15-15 01:48 PM
    Another Sybase connection?

Klaus J�rgen M�ller new General Manager for Enterprise Sales Central and Eastern Europe

J�rgen M�ller is the new General Manager of Enterprise Sales Central and Eastern Europe

J�rgen M�ller is the new managing director of the new Enterprise Sales Central and Eastern Europe. The region consists of 36 countries, including the German-speaking countries and Russia.

Experience:

04/2015 – MD Central/Eastern Europe, BlackBerry Deutschland
    04/2009 – 04/2015 Managing Partner, Advantecon
    03/2014 – 03/2015 Director Sales International, audius GmbH
    04/2010 – 02/2014 Director Business Development DACH, VeliQ
    10/2000 – 03/2009 Area VP EMEA, Sybase/iAnywhere
    01/1996 – 09/2000 Sales Manager Telecom, Sybase GmbH
    09/1986 – 12/1995 Sales Representative, GE Information Services
    In German:
    https://bb10qnx.de/2015/05/klaus-jue...und-osteuropa/
    La Emperor, jxnb, Mr BBRY and 6 others like this.
    05-15-15 01:49 PM
    ummm....wtf just happened? my stockdaddy turbo notified me with a > 2% daily price change. Now the SP is fluctuating fairly substantially?

Well, glad the app works for that!
    05-15-15 01:53 PM
    ummm....wtf just happened? my stockdaddy turbo notified me with a > 2% daily price change. Now the SP is fluctuating fairly substantially?

came here to ask the same question lol
    05-15-15 01:55 PM

It's all over the map

Posted via CB10
    05-15-15 01:55 PM
    Another day, another rumour. Today it's Microsoft. This is getting silly.

Quick, start a site and post a rumour - source below.

http://betaville123.blogspot.ca/
    CDM76, rarsen, bungaboy and 2 others like this.
    05-15-15 01:56 PM
    1.7M shares traded on the pop there? That's not chump change.
    05-15-15 01:57 PM
    Hoping for Samsung next. Not as rumor but for real. I just want a big company to make a legitimate official offer for $20 and set the friggin floor. I hate it when BlackBerry sinks to single digit. If someone were to make official $20 offer, atleast, single digit days would be gone for good.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    05-15-15 01:58 PM
    A pop indeed! Someone must have just had a pretty good reason to pick up 2.75MM shares in one block trade. Something is up...
    05-15-15 01:58 PM
    Well that may be the answer to my question earlier. I wanted to know what it would take to get to $11. We just hit $11.09. Let all the traders take their profit and run away and let's see where this thing settles. Some big volume at the moment. We might just close at $11 today.
    05-15-15 02:04 PM
    Thought I'd bet [some more] on black....

Grabbed some Sept $9 strikes now that it has settled back down near even. I have a good feeling about where we will be by September!
    05-15-15 02:22 PM
    the daily chart looks like the MMs side profile giving the middle finger to the rocker launch [rumour] buyers.
    05-15-15 02:23 PM

Subscription based.
    Am curious if it has a negative tone.
    The title and how the teaser portion ends doesn't seem overly promising.
    Anybody have access to the full article?

Remember when the BlackBerry was the last word in mobile security? Hold that thought

Nic Fildes meets the man charged with reviving one of the great must-haves of 21st-century business

John Chen is many things � global executive, turnaround expert, disarmingly humorous and, apparently, a bit retro. Unlike the thousands passing through London Bridge station below, looking abjectly at their iPhones, scrolling up and down with their thumbs, here he is, inside The Shard tower, sat bolt upright, holding a BlackBerry in two hands in front of him, tapping out emails on those familiar, tiny keys.

Turn the clock back ten years and you wouldn�t have noticed. BlackBerry was the must-have communications tool of any self-respecting lawyer, accountant, banker or business leader, but that was before it was crushed underfoot by .....

Posted via CB10
    Here you go:

Nic Fildes meets the man charged with reviving one of the great must-haves of 21st-century business

John Chen is many things � global executive, turnaround expert, disarmingly humorous and, apparently, a bit retro. Unlike the thousands passing through London Bridge station below, looking abjectly at their iPhones, scrolling up and down with their thumbs, here he is, inside The Shard tower, sat bolt upright, holding a BlackBerry in two hands in front of him, tapping out emails on those familiar, tiny keys.

Turn the clock back ten years and you wouldn�t have noticed. BlackBerry was the must-have communications tool of any self-respecting lawyer, accountant, banker or business leader, but that was before it was crushed underfoot by the march of a new generation of smartphones. The iPhone and the Samsung Galaxy not only took the consumer market by storm but also the office. The number of companies using BlackBerry has fallen from 80,000 at its peak to little more than 30,000. The Canadian company teetered on the brink.

Others toppled over. Nokia, Motorola and Palm have all failed and fallen away in their efforts to stay relevant. BlackBerry almost joined them when its previous management tried to tackle the iPhone head-on with a glitzy, consumer-oriented phone launch underlined by the recruitment of Alicia Keys, the singer, as its �global creative director�. It was a disaster and Mr Chen was drafted in at the end of 2013.

Two years later and BlackBerry is financially viable again, but it�s still shrinking. It sold less than eight million phones last year, compared with 51.5 million at its peak, and managed only 1.6 million in the first quarter. Apple sold 816,000 iPhones a day in the same period. For many, BlackBerry has disappeared from the market.

Yet that, in some ways, is the plan. Mr Chen is returning the company to its heartland of the office, with phones designed to meet the needs of a workforce, rather than a teenager obsessed with Instagram. First came the Passport, a giant square phone ideal for spreadsheets, before this year�s back-to-the-future �Classic� model that adapted the popular design of yesteryear.

Mr Chen is not expecting to sell hundreds of millions of Classic models. For him, it is more of a statement of intent that the days of BlackBerry arrogance � when it assumed that its legions of fans would follow its lead � are over.

The ace up his and BlackBerry�s sleeve is, he believes, its software and servers, not its phones. �We�ve slipped and fallen down and the three people in front of us didn�t get up. We have a different strategy. We are selling a platform � security and encryption. The phone is just the part of it. That gives us assurance we can get up. How well? I don�t know, but if I just had a phone business, then maybe not.�

In fact phones seem far from Mr Chen�s mind as he lays out his recovery plan. He spends a full half-hour talking about Blackberry�s software, security, billing systems, distribution and messenger products without once mentioning smartphones. He describes the mobile phone market as �finicky� and obsessed with making �sexy phones�. He freely admits that many of its customers are lampooned by trendsetters for still using a BlackBerry. �Many of our customers are asked: �Oh are they still around?�

But Mr Chen doesn�t want the trendsetters. �I�m focusing only on the very serious people. I�m OK with not being the sexy phone. This [phone] should be the status of a professional. If you care about your privacy, then you use a BlackBerry. If your entire life is on Facebook, you might not care.�

That�s not to say that it won�t pick up the odd trendsetter along the way, a lesson Mr Chen learnt at home. His daughter lost most of her savings when she was caught up in a cyber attack on Target, the American retailer. That incident made her much more security conscious. �She wasn�t using a BlackBerry then. Well, she is now!�

Indeed, Mr Chen, 59, is betting that the world is becoming more concerned with security and that it will play into his company�s hands. Sony started using a fleet of old BlackBerry phones after it was attacked by hackers, but Mr Chen is too coy to shout about it. �You don�t want to have a parade on your customer�s pain.�

Instead, BlackBerry has snapped up companies that can bolster its privacy ambitions. London�s MoVirtu, which allows users to create two identities on the same SIM card to separate work and personal functions, was acquired last year, followed by Secusmart, a German software company famously used by Angela Merkel, the German chancellor, to stop other governments snooping on her phone calls.

The market appears to have backed Mr Chen�s vision, with the shares back at levels last seen in mid-2012, when it started to come off the rails � and that means people with deep pockets are noticing BlackBerry again. Rumours have been rife that it could be snapped up, with reports that Lenovo and then Samsung were set to pounce. Mr Chen describes such reports as �insanity�, even if he is adamant that it is �both irresponsible and unwise� to say that it would never be sold. �Not too long ago, this company was worth $85 billion. The conversation was then the other way around, about which company we would buy. We have to put ourselves in a position where we never need to be sold. We are there today.�

That, he explains, is the difference between BlackBerry now and the business he inherited, which put itself up for sale but couldn�t find a buyer. �Never sell a company when you need to sell the company. You never sell the company � the company should be bought.�

Mr Chen�s frank style and keen sense of humour have befuddled analysts and investors alike. The stock is liable to move wildly over the course of an earnings call based on his quips and predictions. He told analysts to stop �poking me in the eye� on his first earnings call and notes that nobody believed him when he promised to turn the business profitable, which he achieved only a year after the business had bled billions in losses.

�Most people think we�re dead by now, anyway,� he says of his detractors, laughing. �It�s not going away � I�m really 99 per cent sure of that.�

Now he faces the task of hitting his target of more than doubling BlackBerry�s software this year to $600 million. It�s not necessarily a hard and fast target. �People are taking it very seriously. If we don�t get to $600 million but we get close, I will not jump off the building.�

That�s just as well, given that we�re halfway up The Shard.

Q&A

Who, or what, is your mentor? The book Animal Farm by George Orwell
    Does money motivate you? It is not in my top three, which are accomplishment, doing something challenging and working with very committed people
    Which person do you most admire? My dad
    What does leadership mean to you? Fairness
    How do you relax? By playing golf
    What is your favourite television programme? Mission Impossible (the original television series, not the movie)

CV

Born: July 1, 1955, Hong Kong
    Education: Master of science, electrical engineering (California Institute of Technology); Bachelor of Science, electrical engineering (Brown University)
    Career: 1979-90: Burroughs Group (Unisys): design engineer; general manager; 1991-95: Pyramid Technology: chief operating officer; 1995-97: Siemens Pyramid: chief executive and chairman; 1997-2012: Sybase, chief executive and chairman 2013: BlackBerry, chief executive and executive chairman
    Other interests: board of governors for the San Francisco Symphony; trustee of The First Tee and California Institute of Technology; board member Wells Fargo, Walt Disney Company
    Family: Married with four children
    05-15-15 02:25 PM
    Reading the RARE alert...why would anyone put money on a stock because of it?

let's see:
    1. microsoft may have asked IBs to vet a purchase (I'm sure all of the big players who might want to buy BBRY have already done this in the last year ....already!)
    2. they might pay 6-7B. Whoop-dee-doo. JC is not selling for 7B.
    3. the information is rumour and not vetted in anyway.

No manipulation there, seriously, that is just dumb folks putting big money on a rumour some kid could have made up playing hop scotch and high on ice cream.

We are on the way to 11...just need some kind of REAL news!
    05-15-15 02:29 PM
    I'll put my potential Apple partnership/patent licensing ideas on the table:

1. Apple Enterprise Sales starts selling BES12 cloud/on premise as EMM / MDM of choice....they increase the customer perception for iPhone security...and they take a cut of these contracts.
    2. Apple licenses the hard keyboard patents and offers an add on similar to the Typo keyboard. Or they make their own slider or PKB phone.
    3. Apple licenses QNX IoT software for their SmartHome products
    4. Apple licenses the Productivity Suite (doubtful, they would probably rather code their own communications hub themselves over 2 years than pay for it.... more likely Blackberry puts this as a paid app in the Apple Store and Apple allows it - don't they always change the rules to suit themselves? - and takes a bigger cut)
    5. Apple partners to use the NOC for Apple Pay and adds ECC encryption
    6. Apple adds a BBM variant into the stock OS supplanting iMessage, but they change the design a bit....but it's still BBM) and they make a huge push for BBM money e-transfers (to be known as 'ApplePay Transfer'). They cut out the banks. Apple has clout. But they are savage negotiators and JC is probably not letting them push their muscle around, he will want a fair offer (or a bit less than fair, but still doable).

Any others?

But still, if I'm Apple, I throw 20B hostile takeover for Blackberry and then resume the push to rule the world.
    awindsr likes this.
    05-15-15 03:34 PM
    My company did one of these. I got an email that I knew was a phishing scam, and it was a simple URL link (not an .exe/.bat/any script that could run). I was curious how "well done" the design was. So I know that on my Blackberry, it not going to get into the O/S to change any settings. I click the link and it directs to a page that says you fell for a phishing scam and need to be more aware.

For your average Joe, sure, maybe close enough. But I haven't fallen for it until I've entered my credentials into that page, otherwise there is zero harm. Peeved me right off how that 'test' was designed and what constituted being tricked.
    I get what you're saying, but just going to the website is probably going to give a determined hacker more info to work with to attack the system.

Here's a true story for you. One time I visited a certain tech company's website using my work computer. I only clicked a few links to read about that company's products. Two days later, I got a voicemail at my office from a sales person from that company, inquiring if I had any questions about what I read on their site or their products. My company has 1 public IP address and all our computers route through 1 firewall to get to the internet. My name and phone number are not published on my firm's website and I don't use social media. The guy knew to call *ME*. I figure something in my browser's cache gave me away.
    05-15-15 03:55 PM
    Another day, another rumour. Today it's Microsoft. This is getting silly.

Quick, start a site and post a rumour - source below.

http://betaville123.blogspot.ca/
    I agree somewhat, but how do we know (yet) if Microsoft and Apple are not in a bidding war?

We already know for fact that Lenovo has made the move, as did 'others' as Chen stated at that time, but MS and Apple are North American, and neither side has commented.

Hmmmm.
    Mr BBRY and zyben like this.
    05-15-15 04:03 PM
    I'll put my potential Apple partnership/patent licensing ideas on the table:

1. Apple Enterprise Sales starts selling BES12 cloud/on premise as EMM / MDM of choice....they increase the customer perception for iPhone security...and they take a cut of these contracts.
    2. Apple licenses the hard keyboard patents and offers an add on similar to the Typo keyboard. Or they make their own slider or PKB phone.
    3. Apple licenses QNX IoT software for their SmartHome products
    4. Apple licenses the Productivity Suite (doubtful, they would probably rather code their own communications hub themselves over 2 years than pay for it.... more likely Blackberry puts this as a paid app in the Apple Store and Apple allows it - don't they always change the rules to suit themselves? - and takes a bigger cut)
    5. Apple partners to use the NOC for Apple Pay and adds ECC encryption
    6. Apple adds a BBM variant into the stock OS supplanting iMessage, but they change the design a bit....but it's still BBM) and they make a huge push for BBM money e-transfers (to be known as 'ApplePay Transfer'). They cut out the banks. Apple has clout. But they are savage negotiators and JC is probably not letting them push their muscle around, he will want a fair offer (or a bit less than fair, but still doable).

Any others?

But still, if I'm Apple, I throw 20B hostile takeover for Blackberry and then resume the push to rule the world.
    Ok then.
    Get out of the hammock, put the bottle down, and get back to work!
    (Brown oxfords back on, etc).

=

PS - I'll substitute Microsoft in place of Apple for your speculative argument!
    05-15-15 04:09 PM
    05-15-15 04:51 PM
    AT THE 11 MINUTES MARK, QNX IS IN FORD SYNC 3.
    Ford will connect your phone's navigation app to Sync 3
    Thanks for sharing.

#BBFactCheck
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    05-15-15 05:21 PM
    An after the hard week stroll down memory lane:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013...n_2542103.html

I'll bet there is a super BlackBerry geek out there somewhere with an epic BlackBerry device website.

A virtual cold one on me, for all the rascals of the I support BBRY thread!
    05-15-15 06:26 PM
    Ah ha ha

Good to know Chen is willing to humour us to gain customers.

Attachment 352963

Posted via CB10
    I was expecting the Magenta version.
    I'm glad the boys are playing nice again.

On a side note ; that blue phone needs to be released with its tanned sibling, and is that a putting green ?

Posted via CB10
    CDM76, bungaboy, zyben and 1 others like this.
    05-15-15 09:28 PM
    I want to own bbry in 2020. No sale. I don't care if this goes to zero because if it doesn't it will be well north of $20.

Posted via CB10
    BanffMoose, sidhuk, Corbu and 8 others like this.
    05-15-15 10:11 PM
    Ah ha ha

Good to know Chen is willing to humour us to gain customers.

Attachment 352963

Posted via CB10
    Loving that even the CEO of BlackBerry still has a flip calendar on his desk.

Edit : anyone want to take a bet (one virtual beer) that the blue will be exclusive to T-MOBILE ????

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by CDM76; 05-16-15 at 12:19 AM.
    05-15-15 10:15 PM
    OT: Windows Phones now update OTA

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...its-own-hands/

Strong believer that BlackBerry needs to start updating direct to customers as well. Will reduce fragmentation and client frustration (as BlackBerry can fix problems faster without need for carrier testing).

Posted via CB10
    zyben, 3MIKE, spike12 and 5 others like this.
    05-16-15 09:11 AM
113,256 ... 33673368336933703371 ...