1107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

693 62.60%
  • No

414 37.40%
08-18-18 07:18 PM
106,461 ... 3132333435 ...
tools
    I do think it was an act of faith, but I bought 100 shares when they were at 13.50. I knew I'd be in for the long haul, I knew there were tough times ahead, I didn't expect the stock to drop as low as it has. But, I may ride them to 0, I hope not. I believe in the product, the entire concept and the quality. I believe in BB10 though at present I'm using BB 5 on my Tour, I bought a PlayBook which remains an excellent product and I hope to make some money some day.
    I don't live by the fiscal quarter, I look down the road when I'm driving.
    Well that's really the way to go if you're going to be a small investor! I am not sure what the majority of investors in this thread are thinking, Some are acting like borderline day traders!

In any case, I hope you don't end up losing it as well. Things looks very grim, financially and from a strategic perspective, but there is a slim chance of long-term revival. The financials today, were exactly as expected, but as i mentioned yesterday, the cash balance was critical to me, and they have conserved it where it was...that's essential, and excellent news. They will need that liquidity to survive.
    Last edited by richardat; 09-27-12 at 05:02 PM.
    09-27-12 04:59 PM
    As of date, the poll results. If you haven't yet ... you can still vote.
    Let's extend it to "will you buy shares", if you agree.

09-27-12 05:04 PM
    I do think it was an act of faith, but I bought 100 shares when they were at 13.50. I knew I'd be in for the long haul, I knew there were tough times ahead, I didn't expect the stock to drop as low as it has. But, I may ride them to 0, I hope not. I believe in the product, the entire concept and the quality. I believe in BB10 though at present I'm using BB 5 on my Tour, I bought a PlayBook which remains an excellent product and I hope to make some money some day.
    I don't live by the fiscal quarter, I look down the road when I'm driving.
    Well this is advice after the horse has left the barn...
    but next time, also buy a put option to protect yourself against the big drop...
    09-27-12 11:18 PM
    TH is on CNBC at 8 eastern. Let's see what he has to say and how the street takes it in. The stock is vunerable for a pull back after the aftermarket trading run up. Hopefully he says the right things and keeps the gains the stock made last night.

$8.38 just before he goes on. Will update at open.

$8.26 now. I didn't get to see TH, but it must have been good. You'd expect that it would pull back some and few cents isn't too bad.

For me, the best thing is that RIMM finally didn't disappoint the street. Perhaps they figured out how to professionally manage expectations? As I recall (and my memory isn't great) RIMM had actually pre-announced in previous quarters and then still missed the lowered expectations, a huge gaffe on the street. To me this quarter's handling of the result shows institutional progress on this front, let's hope it is happening elsewhere in the company.
    Last edited by OMGitworks; 09-28-12 at 08:19 AM. Reason: typo/ update stock prices
    09-28-12 05:33 AM
    Why Research In Motion Is Still Cheap - Seeking Alpha

Research In Motion (RIMM) surprised everyone, including myself, by reporting a loss of "only" 27 cents per share. Analysts had been expecting a loss of 46 cents, so naturally, the stock shot up in after-hours trading. As of this writing (around 7:30 p.m. Sept. 27), the stock is trading at $8.52, up 19.5% from the closing price of$7.14, and a full 37% higher than its 52-week low of $6.22, set just three days ago. Already, the message boards are lighting up with "Short RIMM in the After Hours!!!! Trade of a Lifetime," and other posts to the same effect, but I'm not so sure about that.The company shipped 7.4 million of their smartphones this quarter, a full million above expectations. Where analysts seem to have underestimated the company most is its thriving markets in countries such as Indonesia and Venezuela, among others. It sold more and lost less than expected, and even with its loss managed to expand its cash on hand to $2.3 billion from $2.2 billion.
    Assuming last night's gains hold today, RIMM is still only trading at around $2.40 above its net asset value, which in theory only values RIMM's business itself at around $1.26 billion. The company's fundamentals look very appealing, with $4.38 per share of cash on hand, over half of the share price simply represents cash RIMM holds. The remainder of the share price represents the company's physical assets. It is also worth noting that the company holds no debt whatsoever.
    Even assuming an $8.50 open in the morning, the stock still only trades at 0.45 times tangible book value. What will make or break this company will be its ability to convince current Blackberry users to choose a new Blackberry 10 device come upgrade time. Let's be honest, virtually no smartphone users are going to ditch their iPhones or Androids for a Blackberry, and the company knows this. All the free cash will come in handy to market their new devices and to ensure a smooth rollout.
    While this stock is a bit of a gamble, the valuation alone makes it extremely cheap and worth a look. Theoretically, even if RIMM threw in the towel and liquidated its assets, the shares would be worth $6.00 or so. Therefore, the short-term downside is very limited (the company most certainly can run through its cash over time), and the upside potential of the Blackberry 10 greatly outweighs the downside risk.
    Well, can't say better. No sophisticated indicators or stats, just a solid sense of economical basics. (as a response to a former question) This is what I call an entrepreneur view.
    (and while I'm at it : Spiel = Gamble in German. It is an usual term in finance here, thought it was more international, since it's not French)
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 09-28-12 at 08:44 AM.
    09-28-12 07:34 AM
    As of date/time : Looks like the short players are back at this moment (see quote above).
    Big volumes but the stock holds around $8 ...
    09-28-12 08:43 AM
    As of date/time : Looks like the short players are back at this moment (see quote above).
    Big volumes but the stock holds around $8 ...
    Click to view quoted image
    Hey, where are you getting all this money to buy shares? The economy in France is worse than it is in the U.S.
    09-28-12 09:23 AM
    A good day today, finally.

No longer embarrassed to say I own RIMM shares.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-28-12 09:37 AM
    Hey, where are you getting all this money to buy shares? The economy in France is worse than it is in the U.S.
    I kidnap rich U.S kids
    09-28-12 09:55 AM
    I kidnap rich U.S kids
    I'd avoid this guy's kid

Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-28-12 10:00 AM
    I believe we can state that we are now in a "stable" situations.
    How many shorted RIM ? Probably a lot (volume is huge - can somebody find a detail on this ?). Will they gain ? Let's see that in a few days.

For now, my personal estimations ("over $1.8 Billion cash" - "Stock around $7") were under-estimated. Even die-hard-flawed fans can have some prudent "visions". Let's call it "the chance of beginner", sure it is.
    09-29-12 03:07 AM
    I believe we can state that we are now in a "stable" situations.
    How many shorted RIM ? Probably a lot (volume is huge - can somebody find a detail on this ?). Will they gain ? Let's see that in a few days.

Click to view quoted image

For now, my personal estimations ("over $1.8 Billion cash" - "Stock around $7") were under-estimated. Even die-hard-flawed fans can have some prudent "visions". Let's call it "the chance of beginner", sure it is.
    The volume is probably due to the HFT computer programs eeking out their fractions of a cent per trade...
    09-30-12 12:42 AM
    I'm tempted to buy, will watch it for a day or two then jump in. I'd be kicking myself if it hits $20 in a few weeks and I could have bought for $7.50 or so.
    09-30-12 06:27 PM
    I'm tempted to buy, will watch it for a day or two then jump in. I'd be kicking myself if it hits $20 in a few weeks and I could have bought for $7.50 or so.
    Highly unlikely, unless the company gets sold.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    09-30-12 07:04 PM
    You're not gonna see $20 this year.

I've bet a bottle of scotch with one of my tweeps that RIM will end 2013 over $20, though...
    Superfly_FR and Shanerredflag like this.
    09-30-12 08:06 PM
    I won't bet on that. For "us" tiny players, in a weekly range, transactions fees will probably cancel any gain. IMHO, such a target is a year range.
    10-01-12 02:30 AM
    More and more positive analysis (or at least non dramatic ones) on S.A.
    I found this one pretty interesting (see detailed explanations in full article):
    [...]
    Less speculation from here on end
    In my previous post I noted that there was a possibility that Research In Motion might go to zero, within the notion that our speculation time frame had a set limit. Since this is no longer a concern, much of the speculation, as far as the absolute worst case scenario is out of the picture.
    Bottom line: I am upgrading Research In Motion from a speculation play to a special situation play. The reasons are that we no longer have a limited speculation time frame, the cash burn is not of any concern at the moment and revenue for the most part on a quarterly basis, seems to have bottomed.
    The only other unknown variable at this point is, if the new BB10 platform will be a success or not.
    Research In Motion: From Speculation Play To Special Situation Play - Seeking Alpha
    10-01-12 02:33 AM
    Well if you are optimistic, you could go the call option route...
    But you might be better served if you go the put option route...
    10-01-12 02:36 AM
    Next step = $8 resistance ? let's track this for a few days.
    (reminder : I do not intend to sit my point of view with a day value - I try to put some markers (charts) when I believe there's something happening)

10-02-12 08:41 AM
    RIMM up 7% as of now 2:16

whats going on? why the surge?

I want to buy but not sure I want to at this price.
    10-02-12 01:17 PM
    It might be people thinking it would be a good takeover company now or that it would do OK if it partnered with some big company as some Canadian billionaire suggested.
    Or maybe people who shorted it are getting ansty.
    10-02-12 01:29 PM
    I'm happy to see it go up and down. That seems to indicate that it has a pulse. I still want to buy some more over the course of then next couple months so I don't want it to get over $8 for a long period of time.
    $7.50 or less in a week or two so I can buy at my target price.
    10-02-12 01:32 PM
    Well if you are optimistic, you could go the call option route...
    But you might be better served if you go the put option route...
    I have a good handful of options. Call options.

Hard not to when the Jan 2014s are being given away. 2015s should be coming in a month or two.

$50/share buys me a BMW 7 series. $100 share buys me a new house. $150/share puts my into early retirement. $0/share .... did it matter that I bought options and not stock?
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    10-02-12 08:29 PM
    It might be people thinking it would be a good takeover company now or that it would do OK if it partnered with some big company as some Canadian billionaire suggested.
    Or maybe people who shorted it are getting ansty.
    All the billionaires (fund managers and their buddys) are closing out their shorts as the hedge funds buy them. Big money is exiting the short game.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    10-02-12 08:31 PM
    I have a good handful of options. Call options.

Hard not to when the Jan 2014s are being given away. 2015s should be coming in a month or two.

$50/share buys me a BMW 7 series. $100 share buys me a new house. $150/share puts my into early retirement. $0/share .... did it matter that I bought options and not stock?
    Depends on your strike price you have for those calls and what the premium they charged you for them...
    10-03-12 02:45 AM
106,461 ... 3132333435 ...