694 62.52%
  • No

416 37.48%
    03-20-15 09:08 AM
    What a pity.....so difficult to stay green, even in an up market

Posted via CB10
    03-20-15 09:33 AM
    What's keeping QNX busy these days?
    A good summary from the recently concluded CES and some tidbits of things to come from the auto industry. It's a bit of a read but quoting what caught my attention.

The QNX booth also features an Internet of Things (IoT) demonstration by BlackBerry focused on the automotive industry. Highlights include remote browsing of vehicle data, log and fault analysis for software troubleshooting and performance optimization, vehicle data and application management, software downloads, and a key fob app that allows a driver to control designated vehicle functions from a smartphone. A second BlackBerry IoT demonstration for asset tracking provides an interface that tracks thousands of truck containers, displays current location and shipping history, and plays back a selected trip segment.

BlackBerryOS.com - QNX Helps Automakers Gear Up For Integrated Driving Experiences At 2015 CES
    03-20-15 10:02 AM
    OT: Sync3 integrating with Nest. Now that is intelligent..

Ford?s new Silicon Valley lab isn?t all pie-in-the-sky - SlashGear
    03-20-15 10:45 AM
    Earnings Preview: BlackBerry Q4 2015 (BBRY) | Selerity Global Insight

Outliers & Strategy

Key measures:

Adjusted Earnings Per Share (EPS): The Street estimate is -$0.04 (range -$0.15 to $0.10) (source: Yahoo! Finance). Analysts have increased their consensus from -$0.06 three months ago.
    Earnings Per Share (EPS) from Continuing Operations: If an Adjusted EPS figure is not available, this value would compare with forecasts.
    Revenues: Analysts expect a decline of 17.8% y/y to $802.29 mln (range $661.19 mln to $1.06 bln).
    Price/Book of 1.5 compares to a 5-year average of 1.8; Price Sales of 1.4 is above the 5-year average 1.0. Cash flow turned positive.
    Analysts view BlackBerry with 3 Buy, 17 hold, and 7 sell ratings. (source: Analystratings.net)
    BlackBerry results could impact other mobile phone companies, such as Apple (AAPL), Google (GOOG), and Nokia (NOK).
    BlackBerry shares have a 1-day average price change on earnings of 9.96%. Options are pricing in an implied move of 9.85% off earnings.

Summary

BlackBerry remains in a turnaround phase but has become cash flow positive as expected this year. Analysts are optimistic about the move away from the consumer market but question how many of the corporate user trials can be converted into paying customers. The company has beaten earnings estimates by 6c to 47c the last four quarters, mostly due to analysts overly negative expectations. Analyst consensus is less negative this quarter. The company probably needs to report breakeven or better on revenue closer to $910 million to gain a positive reaction from market participants.
    bbjdog, bungaboy, Corbu and 5 others like this.
    03-20-15 11:19 AM
    Complete bs, if we have 9xx in rev we will blast off.

I do thank you for posting the article so I did not have to give them a click

Posted via CB10
    03-20-15 11:29 AM
    BlackBerry Says World Leaders Can Trust Its Security

March 19, 2015 By Nick Waddell

"In an article for Politco yesterday, reporter Joe Marks looked at whether Hillary Clinton’s Blackberry was more or less secure than her colleagues in government, concluding that it was probably the latter.

BlackBerry has always touted that its devices offer more security straight out of the box than rivals such as Apple, but the article explored the extra levels of security that are available to organizations that consider their data to be extremely valuable, such as multinational corporations and governments. The encryption offered by the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, says Marks, is an expensive solution that makes a BlackBerry Bold, Classic or Z10 acceptable to the needs of most enterprise clients.

Clinton last week was at the centre of a mini-scandal when she admitted that she used her personal BlackBerry for state department use, a practice critics suggested could have put valuable data at risk.

“I opted for convenience to use my personal email account which was allowed by the State Department because I thought it would be easier to carry just one device for my work and for my personal emails instead of two,” Clinton said. “Looking back it would have been better if I had simply used a second email account and carried a second phone but at the time, this didn’t seem like an issue.”

The test of whether or not BlackBerrys are secure is an important one for the Canadian company because CEO John Chen has placed its hopes squarely on the enterprise market. What has come to light with the Clinton saga is the varying levels of protection available to those for whom securing their data is of utmost importance.

The most famous BlackBerry user in the world is U.S. President Barack Obama. But his device, from the inside out, bears little resemblance to the one you or I might use.

Obama’s BlackBerry will reportedly only accept emails from a pre-approved list of addresses and he can only phone those colleagues whose phones have a security protocol that matches his. That protocol, reportedly, is called SecurVoice, and was developed by a company called The Genesis Key, which is believed to have worked in conjunction with BlackBerry engineers to supply Obama with a device that, to the outside world, looks like an ordinary BlackBerry.

Obama’s Frankenstein-like smartphone was reportedly deemed necessary by the Secret Service, NSA, and The White House Communications Agency. Other world leaders who use the devices include German Chancellor Angela Merkel, Denmark Prime Minister Helle Thorning-Schmidt and British Prime Minister, David Cameron.

Since John Chen took over as CEO, BlackBerry is never far from the hot button issues, which are often expressed on it own blog. Yesterday, in the wake of the Clinton scuttlebutt, the company’s Matt Young penned an article entitled “Two Affirmations for BlackBerry Security: UK Prime Minister David Cameron and Reaction to Hyper-Secure SecuTABLET”.

The article cited an interview with David Cameron, who praised BlackBerry last year, and again in an interview with BuzzFeed recently.

“Wherever I am in the world, I am always within a few feet of a BlackBerry and an ability to manage things should they need to be managed,” he said.

Young points out that BlackBerry has earned more than seventy security certifications and approvals from governments, which he says is more than any other device maker.

BlackBerry is clearly the choice of world leaders, and it is unlikely that the issues around Hillary Clinton’s use of hers will have any affect on that status. But BlackBerry users who pick up the device because Obama uses one should know that their BlackBerry is a BlackBerry the same way James Bonds’s Jaguar XKR is a Jaguar XKR. It is, but it isn’t.
    "

BlackBerry Says World Leaders Can Trust Its Security - Cantech Letter
    03-20-15 11:36 AM
    From last 10-Q:

Overall Cash Flow and Rev 'guidance':

"The Company reached its target of break-even cash flow results in the third quarter of fiscal 2015 and continues to anticipate breakeven or better cash flow from operations. The Company continues to target sustainable non-GAAP profitability sometime in fiscal 2016. The Company anticipates a challenging fourth quarter of fiscal 2015 in terms of revenue, followed by revenue stabilization and eventual return to revenue growth sometime in fiscal 2016"

Software Rev Guidance:

"The Company expects to realize approximately $250 million in software revenue in fiscal 2015 from BES, technical support, and other value added services. The Company expects software revenue to increase beginning in the second quarter of fiscal 2016 and expects approximately $500 million in software revenue in fiscal 2016. The Company expects to generate this revenue from monetizing existing and forthcoming products, including as described above in “Overview - Strategic Initiatives and Products and Services Update"

Services Rev Guidance:

"In the second quarter of fiscal 2015, the Company stated its expectations that service revenue would decline in the third quarter of fiscal 2015 by 10 to 15%. Service revenues for the third quarter of fiscal 2015 decreased by approximately 13% compared to the second quarter of fiscal 2015. The Company expects service revenue to decline in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2015 by approximately 15"

Not much for hardware guidance:

"The Company expects the average selling prices of its devices to increase in the next several quarters due to the higher selling price of the Passport and Classic"

Posted via CB10
    So they are forecasting $73M for software, $313M for Services totalling 386M (corrected!)

Take your guess for hardware and other.
    Last edited by spiller; 03-20-15 at 01:31 PM. Reason: no morning coffee = bad math
    Munx, Superfly_FR, zyben and 3 others like this.
    03-20-15 11:51 AM
    I saw a Amber Kanwar piece in which she claims that while at CES in January, Chen was talking analysts down on the revenue figure for this quarter. Her delivery left me with the impression that it was thirdhand info.

How much credence would you give to this reporter? I only started following her after the Evercore rumor.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-15 12:18 PM
    totalling 376M.
    isn't that 386 or I miss the meaning of the sentence ?
    03-20-15 12:30 PM
    I saw a Amber Kanwar piece in which she claims that while at CES in January, Chen was talking analysts down on the revenue figure for this quarter. Her delivery left me with the impression that it was thirdhand info.

How much credence would you give to this reporter? I only started following her after the Evercore rumor.
    Please share the link. Thanks.
    bbjdog likes this.
    03-20-15 12:35 PM
    Please share the link. Thanks.
    Must be multiple people on this board that saw it...no BlackBerry feed goes unseen by this crew.

No comment on her bias or credibility?

Posted via CB10
    03-20-15 01:16 PM
    isn't that 386 or I miss the meaning of the sentence ?
    Thank you sir
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    03-20-15 01:31 PM
    OT:

The Next Cybersecurity Target:
    Medical Data
    The health industry is not immune to cyberattacks.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technolog...l-data/388180/

Posted while peeking and flowing on my incredible BBQ10! 
    03-20-15 01:47 PM
    OT: Any thoughts on the HALO dump today M8?
    q649 likes this.
    03-20-15 01:47 PM
    Interesting blog from GSX:

I spend most of the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona in the office that BlackBerry had reserved in one of the towers adjacent to the trade show. I have to confess that I was glad I could avoid having to go through the huge crowd that visited the trade show. We heard that more than 80,000 people attended this years edition. The intensity and scale of the show speaks for the intensity of the mobile industry. Attendees were from every country, region and probably even planets you could possibly imagine. The organizers and the city of Barcelona have to be congratulated for coping quite effectively and succesfuly with such a massive venue.

This being said, the purpose of this blog was more to give you a feedback of the time we spent with the BlackBerry team. We met a lot of the executive management and had the opportunity to take a step back after the launch of our partnership. Most importantly, this represents more than 60 projects of GSX Monitor & Analyzer for BES 12 since the beginning of the year. In other words, this is a follow-up of my earlier post on BlackBerry has a strategy.

BlackBerry has assets and IP which are not all physical: the BES Suite is on my iPad and iPhone (and my Passport but given that BlackBerry is device agnostic, this does not really matter). I access my email via the secure workspace and internet links open in the secure browser. BBM interface is a bit bloated but BBM Meetings is very simple and stable. What I want to say is that now, the reality of the Enterprise Software at BlackBerry is not limited to a simple MDM solution. There is a coherent suite of products that fits well the industry and play on their strength. BlackBerry CEO did a press conference that spoke about all upcoming devices. Press like devices and Enterprise Software do not make newspapers' front pages, but we in the IT industry, understand why it matters. And now, BlackBerry has real Software to adress the Enterprise Market.
    BlackBerry has people: It is striking that the Executive Management all come from Sybase. They get Software, they really get it. Some of the former pre-John Chen BlackBerry-tes (is this a word) may get it but some will not. I was at IBM when Louis Gerstner replaced John Akers and some guys got it while some believed that the mainframe renaissance was around the corner. There are many parallels with today's BlackBerry. The turnaround will both come from products as well as changing the employees' mentality. But what is most striking is that the new guys really get it.
    BlackBerry has momentum: All of this needs to be translated into action. BlackBerry closed their fiscal year in February. A big part of the work of the Enterprise team was focusing in the EZ-Pass program and migrating of BES5 and BES10 to BES12. They are now entering the real active phase of pilots of BES12. But what difference can three months make?Back then, many of the people with who I discussed this, associated BlackBerry to a declining family of devices that they wanted to phase out. There is now a much greater understanding of the value of BES12 and the emerging Software suite. I cannot say more but many large pilots are taking place as we speak and we are involved in many projects all around the world (and I am writing these lines from Singapore )

It takes time for companies to adopt new Enterprise Software so it will take maybe a couple of quarters for the scale of the efforts to bear fruit. But as someone who has made a conscious bet on BlackBerrys turnaround, let me tell you that while there is much to do, I am in no way regretting my decision.

BlackBerry feedbacks after MWC Barcelona
    03-20-15 02:08 PM
    OT: Any thoughts on the HALO dump today M8?
    Sorry for the delay, I just got in the door here. I think there might have been a leak on that second fast tracking drug combo in front of the FDA. That is a pure guess and mainly based upon the volume and it breaking its 50-dma. I figured if they didn't get fast track, the stock would fall back to $ 14.00 and we are close now. I sold a large block as my range for HALO was $ 14 - $ 16 without the second fast track approval. So now it is time to get back in next week. I don't see any news but I would think the rumour mill would be able to know if the meeting with the FDA went well. I'll see what I can find out here.

I see BBRY couldn't hold onto its $ 9.65 level today on light volume. Maybe all of that bashing is paying off for GS/MS?
    03-20-15 02:29 PM
    Please Chen please get off the anti free market exchange and or sell BlackBerry to anyone who isn't anti free markets and democracy . I would rather chen sell to samsung for $11 vs $15 to an American company. That's how much I dislike those who hate democracy and free markets.

Posted via CB10
    BanffMoose likes this.
    03-20-15 03:12 PM
    Please Chen please get off the anti free market exchange and or sell BlackBerry to anyone who isn't anti free markets and democracy . I would rather chen sell to samsung for $11 vs $15 to an American company. That's how much I dislike those who hate democracy and free markets.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks David

#BBFactCheck
    farmwersteve likes this.
    03-20-15 03:34 PM
    BMO Capital Bullish On BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY) Stock, After 4QFY15 Earnings Preview

In a report published on Friday, BMO Capital previewed the BlackBerry Ltd's (NASDAQ:BBRY) fourth-quarter fiscal 2015 (4QFY15) earnings, which are scheduled to be released next Friday, March 27. The sell-side research firm expects the Canadian telecommunication and wireless equipment company to beat consensus estimates on revenue significantly. BMO reiterated a Market Perform rating with a price objective of $10 on the stock.

BlackBerry is expected to announce a loss of three cents per share on revenue of $802 million for the February quarter, as per market consensus. However, BMO Capital expects an 8.5% beat on revenue, while its earnings estimate is similar to other analysts. The sell-side firm anticipates BlackBerry to report $870 million in revenue, primarily driven by early signs of software growth.

BMO Capital analyst, Tim Long, noted: We will be looking for management to comment on the initial BES12 rollout, as early results could set the tone for longer-term expectations for the software business. We expect management to keep its target of doubling software revenues to $500 million in FY2016, although the $100 million in BBM revenues may be taken off the table.

Mr. Long also sees some downside to his prior sales estimates for smartphone units, given the recently launched carrier limited availability with major US carriers during the quarter. However, the device numbers is not as significant. It is the software traction that is most relevant to the stock price, he concluded.

The price target is based on a sum-of-the-parts (SOTP) analysis, and indicates a 6.7x price-to-cash flow per share (P/CFPS) on 2015 estimated $1.46 CFPS. BMO models losses of 15 and 15 cents per share during financial years 2015 and 2016, respectively.

The Street is mostly Neutral on BlackBerry stock. Out of the 36 analysts who cover the stock; five suggest a Buy and 20 recommend a Hold. The 12-month average target price for the stock is $9.45.
    03-20-15 03:54 PM
    03-20-15 03:54 PM
    870 would ignite afterburners!

CB10'n it....via da Z30
    03-20-15 05:00 PM
    870 would ignite afterburners!

CB10'n it....via da Z30
    Agreed it really would but I don't like this. It's putting the bar way to high.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and CDM76 like this.
    03-20-15 05:33 PM
  24. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Agreed it really would but I don't like this. It's putting the bar way to high.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed!... I am more interested in the projections / guidance going forward AFTER this quarter.... CEO Chen did allude to likely further drop this quarter before transition starts to build momentum and take effect.... this quarter could be turbulent before clear skies start to emerge... it's a LONG journey! (pun intended)... stay calm...

Posted via CB10
    03-20-15 05:45 PM
    Agreed!... I am more interested in the projections / guidance going forward AFTER this quarter.... CEO Chen did allude to likely further drop this quarter before transition starts to build momentum and take effect.... this quarter could be turbulent before clear skies start to emerge... it's a LONG journey! (pun intended)... stay calm...

Posted via CB10
    Also agree that BES uptake and guidance is going to be incredibly important. The concern is a particularly poor revenue figure may outweigh any positive guidance given the need to build from a lower base. Here is the video in which the reporter alleges Blackberry was talking analysts down on revenue for the quarter (2 min mark):

BNN - Watch TV Online | BlackBerry?s future: Prem Watsa vs. Goldman Sachs
    03-20-15 06:42 PM
107,103 ... 32743275327632773278 ...