Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Always have spare cash in your account for days like today
    03-10-15 02:03 PM
    Let's stand smart : that's the best way for us to demonstrate our confidence.
    Another bump on the SP price ? Ok: dust will settle.
    Wondering if institutional investors will pile-in if the SP goes under - say - $9.5 : thoughts ?
    Here's a snapshot for later reference :

Attachment 340160
    Superfly - This is looking like a good call. Lots of shares traded at 9.50.
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-10-15 02:12 PM
    OT - Alert!

M+8, just wanted to say congratulations on ACAD. I know you picked that one up for under $2/share a while back. You are very skilled my friend! Hope you aren't feeling too left out with the ladies down on the islands. Perhaps you should crack a few beers today to celebrate your ACAD successes!

Derek
    Corbu, lech31, bigbadben10 and 4 others like this.
    03-10-15 02:19 PM
    So I thought it was time to zoom in on our chart of that one year long blue uptrend line to see exactly where we are today. Normally we don't need to be so precise but a day like this one where the DOW is well below its support at the 50-dma merits a look. So here is the result if you only look at the one year absolute low and the two that came after it:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-march-10-2015.png

When we zoom into the chart and draw a much more acurate line, we see that the stock was only briefly below its blue line and picked up some pennies per share and moved right back above this line. All the while, the DOW continued to make new lows on the day, that's called good relative strength. So let's see where it closes. For those of you who purchased today, congrats as you bought stock in the storm and those prices look great so far. Also note that BBRY is getting very close to being oversold at $ 9.50, another reason to think we hit a bottom today. And now that all important close .......................
    03-10-15 02:24 PM
    OT - Alert!

M+8, just wanted to say congratulations on ACAD. I know you picked that one up for under $2/share a while back. You are very skilled my friend! Hope you aren't feeling too left out with the ladies down on the islands. Perhaps you should crack a few beers today to celebrate your ACAD successes!

Derek
    Thanks! It is having one heck of a day today, it is actually at my target price for this year! I think I saw it up $ 7.00/shr at one point today. I would have to look at it again to see where we go from here. There are some Coronas in the fridge cooling as we type! LOL

Oh yeah, I did buy 10,000 at $ .71/shr for my wife several years ago, so we own it cheap. My average is likely around $ 2.00/shr for a very large block of it. Congrats on staying with it so long, that's the hard part of investing!!!
    La Emperor, rarsen, Corbu and 9 others like this.
    03-10-15 02:29 PM
    I think we stay in a holding pattern until earnings. We either jump above 10 if there is no miss or we drop to 7-8. A big miss could mean doubt about the company's survival.

The guy who said spin off BBM starts to make sense to me. If bbry does not and it hits a wall with handsets, it could be forced to firesale it's assets. That would waste the value locked up in BBM.

If it's spun off, you get that value. Why does BBM need to be in house other than guaranteeing bbry has a good messaging app in the long term?

Posted via CB10
    03-10-15 02:30 PM
    Well, I couldn't resist today and I am back in. Cheers to all of you and GL.
    03-10-15 02:38 PM
    I think we stay in a holding pattern until earnings. We either jump above 10 if there is no miss or we drop to 7-8. A big miss could mean doubt about the company's survival.

The guy who said spin off BBM starts to make sense to me. If bbry does not and it hits a wall with handsets, it could be forced to firesale it's assets. That would waste the value locked up in BBM.

If it's spun off, you get that value. Why does BBM need to be in house other than guaranteeing bbry has a good messaging app in the long term?

Posted via CB10
    Sorry bro but that dude is clueless. BBM is an integral part of BlackBerry. His thoughts are so narrow minded. You need to be patient with the plan that John Chen has in place. Prem Watsa is in for the long haul. This guy knows how to make money. End of story. The low today was a good indication of our base.
    03-10-15 02:56 PM
    OT: Blackphone
    CEO William Conners sees Silent Circle's BlackPhone2 as part iPhone, part BlackBerry - Washington Business Journal

Silent Circle unveiled its Blackphone 2 and Blackphone+ tablet products last week at the Mobile World Congress trade show in Barcelona, Spain. The company has marketed the Android-based smartphone as a new-age BlackBerry, which includes software (also available for iOS and Android) for encrypted voice calls and text messaging. The first generation Blackphone has pulled in $750 million in orders worldwide since its 2014 debut, with about 75 percent coming from outside North America, according to the company.

I caught up with new CEO William Conners after his return to the Geneva-based company's National Harbor offices. Conners took the reins from co-founder Mike Janke in January, and is currently working to scale up the company's enterprise sales after a $50 million funding round from private investors.

On how the product takes cues from both Apple and BlackBerry: Apple made everything simple. They took out all the complexity, and that's what we're doing for security and privacy. BlackBerry was only enterprise, and they missed the consumerization of enterprise with iPhones and tablets. Apple is all about the consumer, and really doesn't give a crap about enterprise, because people like me just bring their iPhones into work. We're going to do both. We're going to hide the complexity, just like Apple did for the enterprise, but we're also the replacement for BlackBerry.

On the interest in the product from government agencies: Interestingly enough, while some governments are saying you shouldn't use it, a lot of those same governments are buying it. Trust is at an all-time low — trust in your government, in enterprises, and that is a direct correlation to privacy, because people don't trust anybody with their data anymore, because governments are looking at it.

On the potential for widespread consumer interest in "secure" products: If you go to the Mobile World Congress, you'll see a lot of phone makers saying, "Oh, my phone's waterproof," and "Oh, my phone's got a great wrapper," and "Oh, my phone's got these great new colors." But I think the consumer market is going to change because privacy and trust are the new features that are the deep vein for value, whether it's a consumer or enterprise model. Again, it comes back to the question: do you feel more secure and more private than you did a year ago? Every metric shows that needle rising, so that's the thing we want to focus on.

On global markets versus North American markets: Privacy is a much bigger market outside of the U.S. than it is in the U.S., but we see that starting to change with everything from [Edward] Snowden to Sony to the SIM card issue. It's growing, but it's still small relative to the rest of the world. In some of those countries it can mean personal safety, and can have more to do with security physically. We haven't gone aggressively after the U.S., but as we move from consumer to enterprise that will change the nature of the business here in the U.S., and I think Sony is the litmus test that's changing that.

On the recent buyout of Geeksphone's share in Blackphone: We really need to be able to control our own destiny and the speed of development. It really is about the intersection of the devices and the software. We really felt like we really needed to control the security and the operating system and the infrastructure. It wasn't about a disagreement between us and Geeksphone. It was a natural evolution of the joint venture. We decided we're better off with complete control of that asset.
    03-10-15 03:07 PM
    Short interest down a bit

2/27/2015 88,269,202
    2/13/2015 90,272,146
    03-10-15 03:17 PM
    OT - Alert!

Derek
    I'm starting to think that M+8 might just be able to afford his own island soon...
    03-10-15 03:25 PM
    nice little read from an old friend of BB

Summary: After using the BlackBerry Passport for five months, Matthew is more impressed with it than with any other phone in his collection.

Like fine wine, BlackBerry Passport gets better with age | ZDNet
    03-10-15 03:29 PM
    I'm starting to think that M+8 might just be able to afford his own island soon...
    And invite us all over to take amazing pictures on our blackberry's that will never be made public due to their amazing security features.

Posted via crackberry10 on my new Z30!
    03-10-15 03:49 PM
    OT: Blackphone... continued

In retrospect, I am not sure I should not have posted that previous article as some of you have or may have noticed that there are reasons to cast doubt on what that writer says...

More specifically, this:

The first generation Blackphone has pulled in $750 million in orders worldwide since its 2014 debut, with about 75 percent coming from outside North America, according to the company.
    $750 M??!! Really...

Consider this, from a week ago:

Though the company isn't yet disclosing sales numbers, Weir-Jones calls their grow rate, "astronomical." They've oversold every production run to date, he says, and expect to sell 10 million phones in the next two to three years.
    Blackphone CEO, Toby Weir-Jones, drives two more nails in Blackberry?s coffin: Blackphone 2 and Tablet+

So, as SF would say, to be taken "avec un grain de sel"!

My apologies.
    03-10-15 03:56 PM
    OT: Encryption/Privacy

"Just months after U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron said he wants to ban encryption and online anonymity, the country's parliament today released a briefing saying that the such an act is neither acceptable nor technically feasible."

U.K. Parliament says banning Tor is unacceptable and impossible
    03-10-15 03:58 PM
    Short interest down a bit

2/27/201588,269,202
    2/13/201590,272,146
    I have a feeling that thoses numbers have increased in the past couple days

Posted via CB10
    03-10-15 04:16 PM
    03-10-15 04:22 PM
    Only if we are as wealthy as you, bro. I was able to pickup only a few shares at $9.59
    03-10-15 04:26 PM
    Only if we are as wealthy as you, bro. I was able to pickup only a few shares at $9.59
    C'mon....I never stipulated how much cash...but any cash is good cash for days like today... I have a mortgage and car payment like the majority here. . Peace out!
    03-10-15 04:34 PM
    So I thought it was time to zoom in on our chart of that one year long blue uptrend line to see exactly where we are today. Normally we don't need to be so precise but a day like this one where the DOW is well below its support at the 50-dma merits a look. So here is the result if you only look at the one year absolute low and the two that came after it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BBRY March 10 2015.png 
Views:	888 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	340211

When we zoom into the chart and draw a much more acurate line, we see that the stock was only briefly below its blue line and picked up some pennies per share and moved right back above this line. All the while, the DOW continued to make new lows on the day, that's called good relative strength. So let's see where it closes. For those of you who purchased today, congrats as you bought stock in the storm and those prices look great so far. Also note that BBRY is getting very close to being oversold at $ 9.50, another reason to think we hit a bottom today. And now that all important close .......................
    Sold PSDV yesterday to get some BBRY 2017 options when it hit 9.95....and had to sell HALO today to get more 2017 options at 9.55.

But, I have to think MS has a report ready to hit the wires at just the right time. Say, Thursday afternoon? Then continue the raid into options Friday. Or will it be next week after a nice mini rally?
    03-10-15 04:35 PM
    I'd love to see an ad campaign like this for BlackBerry ... set on the Vegas strip with a group of friends having fun and taking pictures, pan to a week later with one of the group sitting at a computer freaking out because their icloud account with all the Vegas pictures on it got hacked side by side with another of the group being blackberry user smiling because all of their data is secure.

"Blackberry, making sure what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. "

I'd buy that based on that idea haha

Posted via crackberry10 on my new Z30!
    Last edited by helopilot06; 03-10-15 at 05:05 PM.
    03-10-15 04:38 PM
    C'mon....I never stipulated how much cash...but any cash is good cash for days like today... I have a mortgage and car payment like the majority here. . Peace out!
    We miss you and just playing with you bro.
    03-10-15 04:41 PM
    As the saying goes. You cannot be rich and have friends. I know I have friends

Posted via CB10
    03-10-15 05:25 PM
    +1
    We miss you and just playing with you bro.
    03-10-15 05:33 PM
    03-10-15 06:00 PM
113,250 ... 32523253325432553256 ...