View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Lots of buzz at work about Blend. People who were issued BB10s got the 10.3.1 updates recently and everyone is excited.

This will translate to a lot of new BES12 licenses.

Posted via CB10
    I tried Blend. It's non special.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 10:49 PM
    Rio

Victoria/Visa - is probably that concept device that has retractable keyboard. When in closed position, one row of keyboard is still visible and can be used as trackpad. This may be the device that they are talking about. Let's see, I've only seen sketches so far.
    Victoria is my latest Dual Boot muse.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 11:07 PM
    This sucks! Tomorrow stock would crash yet again! We barely made 1% gain today and tomorrow we'll go down 5% based on this news.
    Sorry Chrys but I'll bet you 12 virtual beers that this does absolutely nothing. Another 12 that says we finish green tomorrow. You in?
    02-25-15 12:40 AM
    Or it's not a new device and we are going to be (yet again) underwhelmed. Despite poor marketing, BlackBerry occasionally manages to build some hype (recall, BBM4All campaign, original Z10 launch etc.) and then ends up not even coming close to the hype.
    Point taken, however, during that time, the hype machine was cranked to 10. This time, we have had a record time elapse since any real news has scrolled across our screens.
    Definitely seems different. I think Chen and crew are loading the canon this time....

Also, consider all the big hands now invested.
    CDM76, Mr BBRY, bungaboy and 1 others like this.
    02-25-15 01:44 AM
    02-25-15 04:04 AM
    BlackBerry will have fewer than 1 million users outside businesses in the UK by the end of the year, a radical slump from a peak of nearly 8 million in June 2012, according to new research from two companies.

Not really surprised, given the attitude of some of the mobile providers. I am with vodafone, and tried to get myself a Passport, only to be told they were ONLY available on a Business Contract. Could not even buy one outright !
    02-25-15 04:52 AM
    BlackBerry will have fewer than 1 million users outside businesses in the UK by the end of the year, a radical slump from a peak of nearly 8 million in June 2012, according to new research from two companies.

Not really surprised, given the attitude of some of the mobile providers. I am with vodafone, and tried to get myself a Passport, only to be told they were ONLY available on a Business Contract. Could not even buy one outright !
    Oddly, they say that, but as soon as I said I was leaving Vodafone, I got a call back offering me a deal on the Passport. Very odd.

Posted via CB10
    Andy_bb_king, 3MIKE, CDM76 and 1 others like this.
    02-25-15 05:47 AM
    The market tends to react to IDC reports from what I noticed. I think even Walt Mossberg made reference to a past report when interviewing Chen.

At any rate, this time around, the title seems to have a more positive spin to it, reassuring, and paints a good impression imo. Unlike their past titles about BlackBerry.....
    3MIKE likes this.
    02-25-15 06:34 AM
    Sorry Chrys but I'll bet you 12 virtual beers that this does absolutely nothing. Another 12 that says we finish green tomorrow. You in?
    I'd love for my prediction (of going down on UK news) to be wrong!
    doctor gonzo likes this.
    02-25-15 07:33 AM
    For quite some time now, there have been close to zero BlackBerry phones available (and visible) in stores in the UK. The online sellouts don't mean one toss. It shouldn't be a surprise that that trend is showing. The study does not, however, give any particular reason why numbers will continue to fall even though BlackBerry devices are now (or soon) reentering retail locations. I would guess that their predictions are going to be off by a huge margin on account of this. Carphone Warehouse staff in London are happily carrying Passports around the shops, and at least one was happy to tell me that it's more powerful than the iPhone 6.

I wouldn't worry about the study, just as long as BlackBerry are able to sort out their supply problems. The in-store staff, at least as regards the Passport, do not seem to be as negative as they were in the recent past. That being said, Carphone Warehouse is just one shop, and EE, Vodafone, etc are still likely to give you a puzzled expression of you even mention the name 'BlackBerry'. At least getting the Passport on display in EE, Vodafone, O2 et al locations would be a huge win.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    02-25-15 07:52 AM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20150225_075849_edit.png

Wake me at earning.

Classically Posted.
    Corbu, 3MIKE, rarsen and 7 others like this.
    02-25-15 09:00 AM
    On my TW feed this morning, thanks to ads personalization...

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20150225_102335.png

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 09:24 AM
    Guys, remember there's only 3 days left if you need some help to get a Passport... BlackBerry's of course
    PM and sorry it may take a while for answer.
    P.S: Ken and Doc : yes, you can now.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 09:31 AM
    About the Peugeot 208. I'm pretty much affirmative, as it uses Mirrorscreen.... it is QNX.

La fonction MirrorScreen initi�e sur 108 arrive sur 208. Elle permet de dupliquer l��cran de son smartphone sur l��cran tactile 7�� du v�hicule pour un meilleur confort visuel en donnant acc�s aux applications t�l�phone, musique, navigation, etc. - See more at: http://news.peugeot.fr/2015/02/nouve....6UvMlcMQ.dpuf

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 09:41 AM
    OT as Electric Vehicles for viewing after-hours:

7 Top Tesla Model S P85D Reaction Videos | CleanTechnica
    02-25-15 09:54 AM
    OT. Security related.
    utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign =Feed%3A+TheBoyGeniusReport+(BGR+|+Boy+Genius+Repo rt)

We�ve written extensively about security concerns in recent weeks, but this might be the most shocking development yet. Reddit user FallenMyst posted on Tuesday that he had recently started a new job with a company called Walk N�Talk Technologies.

At his job, he is asked to listen back to seemingly random bits of*audio*and provides feedback on how they match with the text that the device outputs when translating the audio � and you won�t believe where the audio comes from.
    Here�s a more in-depth description from one of his comments:

�I�m given an audio file (sound bite) and the corresponding text based translation (how the phone translated the speech). My job is to listen to the file, compare it to the text and provide feedback on how correctly the sound bite was interpreted by the phone. If the text and speech are a perfect match, I just move on. However, if the phone either translated something incorrectly due to a heavy accent or loud background noise, I note that in my evaluation.�
    Here�s where things get interesting � after working his way through*several of these sound bites, FallenMyst realized that much of what he was listening to were commands that mobile phone owners were giving to their personal assistants such as Siri and Cortana.

�I heard everything from kiddos asking innocent things like �Siri, do you like me?� to some guy asking Galaxy to [do something inappropriate and physically impossible]. I wish I was kidding,� writes FallenMyst.

Many commenters noted that you can find your entire log of recorded voice commands by heading to this page within your Google account. Unless you turn the setting off, everything you say can be recorded and apparently has a chance of winding up in the hands of a third party.

Posted using BlackBerry passport.
    02-25-15 09:57 AM
    ...Five Stocks With Most Capital Pouring Into Them in Q4

Finally, there is BlackBerry Ltd (NASDAQ:BBRY), in which the number of funds holding the stock advanced to 25 from 17 during the fourth quarter, while the value of the aggregate positions held by the funds that we track appreciated to $756.82 million from $631.18 million.
    JD.Com Inc (ADR) (JD), Yahoo! Inc. (YHOO) Among Five Stocks With Most Capital Pouring Into Them in Q4 - Insider Monkey
    02-25-15 10:34 AM
    About the Peugeot 208. I'm pretty much affirmative, as it uses Mirrorscreen.... it is QNX.

La fonction MirrorScreen initi�e sur 108 arrive sur 208. Elle permet de dupliquer l��cran de son smartphone sur l��cran tactile 7�� du v�hicule pour un meilleur confort visuel en donnant acc�s aux applications t�l�phone, musique, navigation, etc. - See more at: http://news.peugeot.fr/2015/02/nouve....6UvMlcMQ.dpuf

Posted via CB10
    Thanks Superfly. I was certain that it used QNX, good to have this reaffirmed.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 10:36 AM
    You read it here first, folks, yesterday!
    Hedge Fund Manager Jim Simons? Invests In Blackberry And the Internet of Things ? Jewish Business News
    Blackberry is leading the way in the internet of things

Blackberry has been given the raspberry by investors, but stock picker extraordinaire, Jim Simons, founder of the Medallion Fund, is buying shares of Blackberry on the company’s leadership role in the creation of the internet of things, as reported by Motley Fool.

Simon’s Medallion fund has returned an average of 35% annually since it was founded in 1982, so it is safe to say Simons knows a good stock when he sees one. Blackberry, however, has been a laggard behind Apple and other tech stars, but it may likely have its day in the sun once again. Regarding its day-to-day issues, the new CEO John Chen has improved the financial health of the company. The main focus, however, is on the Internet of Things or IoT.

The Internet of Things is the concept that many of the objects we consider as inanimate now may be connected to the internet in a few years. Just as we have a concept of a smartphone, we will someday soon have a smart diswasher, a smart heater, a smart car garage etc.. Blackberry has been at the forefront of the conversation about IoT with Project Ion, which will support an IoT ecosystem, support QNX software and pursue partnerships.

If Cisco predicts that by 2020, IoT will add $19 billion to the world GDP, the market for IoT products will grow threefold and more than 50 billion devices will be connected to the internet, versus 50 billion today. If Cisco is correct, and Blackberry will be one of the IoT pioneers, than no wonder investors like Simons are interested.
    http://www.fool.ca/2015/02/24/billio...d-you-buy-too/

Also (slow news day):
    BlackBerry Ltd. (USA) Wants Part of a $19 Trillion Market and You Should Follow Along | The Motley Fool Canada
    02-25-15 11:02 AM
    Guys, remember there's only 3 days left if you need some help to get a Passport... BlackBerry's of course

Posted via CB10
    can you hook a long time reader, only 71 time poster up?

2 years ago my work ditched blackberry for samsung. so i've paid for my blackberry out of pocket.
    02-25-15 11:21 AM

La fonction MirrorScreen initi�e sur 108 arrive sur 208. Elle permet de dupliquer l’�cran de son smartphone sur l’�cran tactile 7’’ du v�hicule pour un meilleur confort visuel en donnant acc�s aux applications t�l�phone, musique, navigation, etc. - See more at: Nouvelle Peugeot 208 : un concentr� d'�nergie ! - Peugeot News
    You certainly have a better grasp of this whole question than I do, SuperFly_FR, but I am trying to decipher what it is all about and this is my understanding. Those who know better/more will be able to correct me or to move the whole thing along..

What is MirrorLink?

MirrorLink is a device interoperability standard that offers integration between a smartphone and a car's infotainment system. MirrorLink transforms smartphones into automotive application platforms where apps are hosted and run on the smartphone while drivers and passengers interact with them through the steering wheel controls, dashboard buttons and touch screens of their car's In-Vehicle Infotainment (IVI) system.[1]

MirrorLink utilizes a set of well-established, non-proprietary technologies such as IP, USB, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Real-Time Protocol (RTP, for audio) and Universal Plug and Play (UPnP).[2] In addition, MirrorLink uses Virtual Network Computing (VNC) as the baseline protocol to display the user interface of the smartphone applications on the infotainment system screens and to communicate user input back to the mobile device.
    MirrorLink - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    What is MirrorLink�? | MirrorLink

So, MirrorLink would not be, per se, QNX.

QNX is a member, though:
    Member List | MirrorLink
    Use your phone to control your car using MirrorLink: | Car Tech News | TechRadar

Furthermore, QNX has teamed up with RealVNC to deliver MirrorLink to its QNX CAR Platform for Infotainment: RealVNC and QNX team up to deliver MirrorLink mobile-to-vehicle connectivity

Interesting QNX Auto Blog post about MirrorLink:
    QNX Auto Blog: MirrorLink misunderstood: 8 myths that need busting

Now, insofar as the Peugeot implementation is concerned:

"Citro�n C1 and the Peugeot 108 Offer MirrorLink�
    The New Citro�n C1 and the New Peugeot 108 offer MirrorLink� with Mirror Screen�. Read more (in French only)." [The link does not work, btw.]

Welcome to MirrorLink | MirrorLink

Further, from a French Peugeot Forum:
    Mirror Screen, MirrorLink , AppInCar & 108 - Questions techniques - Peugeot 108 - FORUM Forum-Peugeot

It would seem that the 108 owners will be able to download an update and that MirrorLink is available in the 208.

L'autre bonne nouvelle c'est que la MirrorLink est propos� sur 208 phase2. Donc PSA n'abandonne pas MirrorLink. Maintenant est-ce que les 108 auront droit � la mise � jour 1.1 ?
    Hope this helps. Fell free to update/correct/move it along. Cheers,
    W Hoa, morganplus8, sidhuk and 6 others like this.
    02-25-15 11:30 AM
    PM him!
    I am sure he will do is best to get you one.
    can you hook a long time reader, only 71 time poster up?

2 years ago my work ditched blackberry for samsung. so i've paid for my blackberry out of pocket.
    sidhuk, bungaboy and rarsen like this.
    02-25-15 11:52 AM

Posted via CB10
    See pm supafly

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 11:54 AM
    Just got done with a 2-day conference in NY hosted by Wells Fargo where I would say about 60-70% of the phones I came across were Blackberry. I was a little disappointed that only about 15% of those were BB10 devices (all Z10/Q10) and the rest were 9900s. I think Wells Fargo still issues Blackberry's to employees
    02-25-15 12:04 PM
    Not sure you all saw this over in the News Forum.

Guest speakers to note: JC and Patrick Soon-Shiong

http://lakenonaimpactforum.org/speakers/

Some notables on the list of speakers :
    Dr.OZ, Johnson & Johnson, CVS, Cisco, Garmin, etc...

http://lakenonaimpactforum.org/

"Overview

The Lake Nona Impact Forum is committed to unlocking innovation to create sustainable health communities and advance quality of life by exploring the intersections of wellness, sustainable living and education.

An invitation-only event, the Lake Nona Impact Forum convenes 200 thought leaders from business, academia, government and industry sectors who are driving creative, innovative health and wellness solutions, which move the needle on health care expenditures nationally and globally.

Drawing nationally recognized speakers, past events have included: Alex Gorsky, CEO, Johnson & Johnson; John Chambers, CEO, Cisco; Nancy Snyderman MD, Chief Medical Editor, NBC News; Jim Madara MD, CEO, American Medical Association; and Bill Frist, Former U.S. Majority leader.

Committed to Inspiring Health Innovation, the Lake Nona Impact Forum creates an intimate experience for thoughtful and collaborative conversation that can lead to action.

The event is set in Lake Nona, a 7,000-acre integrated community, which is home to one of the fastest-growing life sciences clusters in the nation and serves as*a model for the design of a comprehensive, healthy community.

Topics & Sub-Themes

The Engaged Patient�The New Drug?
    Retail Health�Enemy or Savior?
    High-Performance Sport and Population Health
    Drawing a Blueprint for Innovation Clusters in the 21st Century
    Quantified Self. Quantified Community. Quantified Value?
    Pharma Conundrum: Life-Changing Drugs, Life-Altering Costs
    Redefining How and What We Eat: Balancing People, Planet and Profits
    Building Healthy Communities and Healthy Populations
    A Different �Employer Mandate:� Driving Innovation in Employee Health and Wellness"
    Last edited by BACK-2-BLACK; 02-25-15 at 12:53 PM.
    morganplus8, Corbu, 3MIKE and 9 others like this.
    02-25-15 12:13 PM
113,256 ... 32193220322132223223 ...