View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

694 62.52%
  • No

416 37.48%
    From BNN: Time to be bullish on Blackberry?

Not a fun segment but the guest likes Blackberry, the cash, the drive into auto, Bes12 device etc..

http://www.bnn.ca/Video/player.aspx?...0ebb70f11324aa

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 06:08 PM
    Well you should not have to order 1million bottles, but the manufacturer should not have excess production runs in case of unforseen orders come through....

Chrysaurora, cool that you worked there (I think), how do they handle orders? JIT ...but ship directly to each store, or is handled through DCs? Who places the orders, who receives it?
    How are the forecasts handled, and how accurate are they?

Yes, didn't use the phrase build to order by definition, was just using the term to make the point. Would be ideal though!

What I have experienced when dealing with even from reputable established customers,is that their forecasts and ordering patterns suck!!
    Now Is it up to the manufacturer to tell the customer what to order based on historical data?
    Should the manufacturer take a risk, which means $$$ exposure with no guarantee or confirmation....

During this transition phase where costs are supercritical I would not take that risk. You can call it a miscalculation, but I would call it cautious selling and minimizing the risk as best as possible.
    bbjdog likes this.
    02-23-15 06:48 PM
    BBM : show me the money !!!
    http://crackberry.com/bbm-beta-black...-no-ad-options

*Yes* *dancing*

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 07:03 PM
    Uh? Is that a joke ?

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 07:07 PM
    Bono is such a *wat!

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 07:34 PM
    Sorry I didn't read the fully story (my bad)
    Just wanted to share the part that made me lough [B]People who are unlucky enough NOT to own a BlackBerry device at all? [B]
    Some of them have something called an ‘iPhone’. These poor souls wander aimlessly] from power socket to power socket.
    Uh? Is that a joke ?

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 07:52 PM
    Sorry I didn't read the fully story (my bad)
    Just wanted to share the part that made me lough [B]People who are unlucky enough NOT to own a BlackBerry device at all? [B]
    Some of them have something called an iPhone. These poor souls wander aimlessly] from power socket to power socket.
    Shucks Just as I was putting a like on your post it disappeared !!
    bungaboy and Soumaila Somtore like this.
    02-23-15 08:04 PM
    I think Bono and the Internet just don't mix well. Kinda like salt in my morning coffee. It wasn't funny, totally embarrassing for a adult to write something so childish. Period. I'm really scratching my head on this one.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 08:20 PM
    Chrysaurora, cool that you worked there (I think), how do they handle orders? JIT ...but ship directly to each store, or is handled through DCs? Who places the orders, who receives it?
    How are the forecasts handled, and how accurate are they?

Yes, didn't use the phrase build to order by definition, was just using the term to make the point. Would be ideal though!
    Worked in R&D so I am unable to answer questions you asked. I know about JIT because we were given factory/JIT facility tour a few times. Besides this was back in 2008 so I've forgotten a lot of things; I remember tour of factory though where JIT process was explained.

What I have experienced when dealing with even from reputable established customers,is that their forecasts and ordering patterns suck!!
    Now Is it up to the manufacturer to tell the customer what to order based on historical data?
    Should the manufacturer take a risk, which means $$$ exposure with no guarantee or confirmation....

During this transition phase where costs are supercritical I would not take that risk. You can call it a miscalculation, but I would call it cautious selling and minimizing the risk as best as possible.
    I only partially agree with you. I think its good to not manufacture 1 million devices in advance and have unsold inventory problem but its really bad to turn-away customers by frequently showing 'out of stock' messages. That is just bad. Lot of customers come to the site excited to make a purchase, find it's out of stock, and there is no way to place a back-order nor does it show estimated in-stock date so these customers go away. Some of them never return - they buy something else!

If you know you are going to have another production run (say, in 3 weeks), then there is no reason to turn-away money! Let customer place the order and show estimated-ship date! I am not suggesting manufacture 200,000 devices to avoid out-of-stock messages but damn it, don't turn away customers that are ready to make a purchase. Let them go through the order-process, commit money!

As MollyMorton said, if frequent sell-outs represent continued miscalculation. Even without producing excess inventory, there are better ways of dealing with the situation. For instance (as I said earlier): instead of turning away customers, accept back-orders! Frequent sell-outs only show that BlackBerry is either unable or (more likely) unwilling to deal with the situation. They recently did a revamp of ShopBlackBerry -- and it still kind of sucks! For instance:

1. They need to accept orders even if product is out of stock. Show estimated ship date.
    2. ShopBlackBerry Online Store - BlackBerry Passport - Black -- look at it yourself, and compare it to any other Smartphone buy-page!
    - https://www.google.ca/nexus/6/
    - iPhone 6 - Buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus - Apple Store (Canada)
    or even pages for budget phones like:
    - Phones - ZenFone 2 (ZE551ML) - ASUS
    - 3rd party store (not even official manufacturer's store) Buy Xiaomi Mi3 64GB | XiaoMi Mi3 Price | XiaoMi 3 Phone | XiaoMi Mi3 Comprar
    Look at how well marketing material, images, benefits, features are presented/explained. Compare this to ShopBlackBerry page for Passport, Classic etc.
    These are really the basics. BlackBerry does a very poor job of selling and dealing with problems.

We, the fans/enthusiasts of BlackBerry, do a far better job of selling BlackBerry than they do themselves. In fact, BlackBerry (with such poorly presented webpages, frequent sell-outs,significantly delayed availability of colors) works against us! We manage to sell devices to friends, family, colleagues through word-of-mouth against the tide!!
    Last edited by chrysaurora; 02-23-15 at 08:43 PM.
    02-23-15 08:26 PM
    Chrys, I hear you guys, and agree as a fan that it sucks to "potentially" lose a sale....

But how are these orders coming through?

Can't really comment on their marketing tactics, just speaking from the manufacturing perspective.

It sucks to "potentially" turn away a sale, but you can't potentially schedule production. Once you commit to scheduling a run, you have spent the money and then have to convert it all to sales. Don't think JC is making batches and just putting then on the shelf in hopes of selling them all. He has to be more careful now.

Of course, as a fan, it sucks to see sell out stuff happening, but it doesn't work that way from the manufacturing side.

If you have the firm sales/orders, then you can schedule production.

Being able to capture back orders is a good idea for their own online store, and should have some system in place to capture back orders with their customers (like AT&T).

Is AT&T placing the orders?

Because if they are, then people should be looking at them as the bottle neck in this process....not BB
    bbjdog likes this.
    02-23-15 09:03 PM
    I have alot of money(thousands of shares) invested in blackberry and want to help advertise for free. Does anyone know where you can get a company hat from? Free advertising is the best! I haven't looked that hard but so far my 2 minute search yielded nothing and I'll even buy the hat.
    bungaboy and Soumaila Somtore like this.
    02-23-15 09:05 PM
    I have alot of money(thousands of shares) invested in blackberry and want to help advertise for free. Does anyone know where you can get a company hat from? Free advertising is the best! I haven't looked that hard but so far my 2 minute search yielded nothing and I'll even buy the hat.
    Buy a hat you like, get BB logo embroidered on it. BB isn't going to come looking to sue you. I think, recently, someone got a zippo lighter engraved with BB logo.
    ZayDub, thebroph and bbjdog like this.
    02-23-15 09:14 PM
    Bla1ze has some (had?). PM him and ask who to talk too.

Classically Posted.
    02-23-15 09:58 PM
    Embedded World Starting tomorrow should be some news on QNX.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 10:22 PM
    Don't think I have articulated my point well, and may have caused some confusion.

A customer places an order with lead time. The manufacturer makes this order within the agreed lead time and aims to ship the order in full, and on time.

The customer is AT&T. They require these items for their own customer (end user).

They have to place accurate orders to BB in order to meet their end user sales.

It sounds like to me, that they (AT&T) are not ordering correctly and misjudging their own customer sales. (hence the up down movement of inventories being reported).

BB is not going to absorb AT&T's ordering deficiency by just making a whole bunch of extra stock "just in case". (this is what I was trying to say and I believe this was the error from the past with the write downs)

It's like when you go into McDs and order fries. McDs says they don't have any more fries for that day. The end user is pissed.... at McDs for not having fries....... not the maker of the fries (McCain or Cavendish Farms).

McDs is responsible for determining how many fries they are going to sell each day, and make sure to order enough (from the manufacturer) to meet their sales.

So BB sells product to stores who are ultimately responsible for their own inventory to satisfy their sales.

People seem to be blaming BB for what is AT&Ts responsibility.

BB also has their own store (shopblackberry). Capturing Back Orders on their site store would be good as chrys mentioned and/but stores like AT&T should also consider that for their own customers.
    02-23-15 11:10 PM
    Regardless of inventory, I think BlackBerry should accept back-orders and provide an estimated ship-date. If there is no inventory, sure, let me still place an order and say "order will ship on X date, as a token of whatever, we'll upgrade your shipping to overnight shipping for free".
    EXACTLY. But I think it's AT&T who would need to accept the back orders

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 03:42 AM

[/B] but its really bad to turn-away customers by frequently showing 'out of stock' messages. That is just bad. Lot of customers come to the site excited to make a purchase, find it's out of stock, and there is no way to place a back-order nor does it show estimated in-stock date so these customers go away. Some of them never return - they buy something else!

If you know you are going to have another production run (say, in 3 weeks), then there is no reason to turn-away money! Let customer place the order and show estimated-ship date! I am not suggesting manufacture 200,000 devices to avoid out-of-stock messages but damn it, don't turn away customers that are ready to make a purchase. Let them go through the order-process, commit money!
    Exactly what I was trying to say. You just were a lot more politically correct and able to explain it better. Thanks

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 03:47 AM
    I'm still waiting for BlackBerry stickers in with each device.......

This company needs to learn that "Marketing " is not a four letter word.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 03:48 AM
    Press release

QNX Wireless Framework Brings Smartphone-Caliber Connectivity to Embedded Systems

Latest QNX innovation enables rapid cellular and Wi-Fi integration and faster time to market for embedded system applications

"NUREMBERG, GERMANY--(Marketwired - Feb. 24, 2015) - Embedded World 2015, Booth 4-358, February 24 - QNX Software Systems Limited, a subsidiary of BlackBerry Limited, today announced the launch of the QNX Wireless Framework, a complete software solution that allows embedded systems developers to make cellular and Wi-Fi hardware changes without having to rewrite software applications or change how the applications run.

Modem technology for embedded systems is evolving quickly, creating demand for system designs that can rapidly and flexibly support the latest cellular or Wi-Fi communications hardware. The QNX Wireless Framework achieves this through an easy-to-use application programming interface (API) that remains consistent, regardless of the underlying cellular or Wi-Fi module or chipset. The API simplifies system design for today's medical devices, industrial controllers, and in-car infotainment units by managing the complexities of modem control. Further, the QNX Wireless Framework provides a rich feature set to enable a variety of useful vertical-specific applications.

"The QNX Wireless Framework was developed by a team of mobile wireless experts with hundreds of person-years of experience building advanced, carrier-grade mobile products," said Grant Courville, director, product management, QNX Software Systems. "Our latest innovation allows developers to experience best-in-class smartphone-grade technology already deployed in millions of BlackBerry devices and supported by hundreds of carriers worldwide and to apply*that connectivity to the embedded systems they are building in a simplified way."

The QNX Wireless Framework is highly flexible, providing customers with pre-integrated support for cellular and Wi-Fi modules from leading industry vendors, including Gemalto, Sierra Wireless, Telit Wireless Solutions, and u-blox AG. These vendors, combined, account for more than half of the module market share by sales (Strategy Analytics, "Cellular M2M OEM Module Vendor Market Share 2005-2014").

"Every day, thousands of new devices are being connected to the Internet, transforming and improving the way we live, work, and play. As the connected world spurs innovation, Gemalto's security solutions and Cinterion portfolio are helping drive mHealth, automotive, and smart energy programs," said Norbert Muhrer, senior vice president of M2M, Gemalto. "We are excited to work with QNX Software Systems; their rich history in software solutions, combined with our M2M portfolio, expands secure connectivity for embedded devices. We look forward to supporting the QNX Wireless Framework, the next advent in connected technology."

"The opportunity to support the QNX Wireless Framework is attractive because, like u-blox, QNX Software System is an established leader in the automotive, industrial, and medical markets," said Andreas Thiel, co-founder and executive vice president, wireless product development, u-blox AG. "We are eager to couple our wireless communications and modules with the innovative technology built into the QNX Wireless Framework."

This week, at Embedded World 2015, QNX Software Systems will showcase its latest product developments for embedded developers. Demonstrations will include the QNX Wireless Framework and its integration with the products of several module vendors. Visit booth 4-358.

Availability

Select customers are currently evaluating the QNX Wireless Framework 1.0. It is scheduled for general release in Q2 2015.

About QNX Software Systems

QNX Software Systems Limited, a subsidiary of BlackBerry Limited, is a leading vendor of operating systems, middleware, development tools, and professional services for connected embedded systems. Global leaders such as Audi, Siemens, General Electric, Cisco, and Lockheed Martin depend on QNX technology for their in-car electronics, medical devices, industrial automation systems, network routers, and other mission- or life-critical applications. Visit www.qnx.com, follow @QNX_News*on Twitter, and*visit facebook.com/QNXSoftwareSystems. For updates on the company's automotive work, follow @QNX_Auto and visit qnxauto.blogspot.com.

A global leader in mobile communications, BlackBerry (NASDAQ:BBRY)(TSX:BB)*revolutionized the mobile industry when it was introduced in 1999. Today, BlackBerry aims*to inspire the success of millions of customers around the world by continuously pushing the boundaries of mobile experiences. Founded in 1984 and based in Waterloo, Ontario, BlackBerry operates offices in North America, Europe, Asia Pacific and Latin America. Visit blackberry.com.

2015 QNX Software Systems Limited. QNX, QNX CAR, Momentics, Neutrino, Aviage, and BlackBerry are trademarks of BlackBerry Limited and are registered and/or used in the U.S. and countries around the world, and are used under license by QNX Software Systems Limited. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

QNX Software Systems Limited (QSS) is a subsidiary of BlackBerry Limited. Forward-looking statements in this news release are made pursuant to the "safe harbor" provisions of the U.S. Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 and applicable Canadian securities laws. When used herein, words such as "expect", "anticipate", "estimate", "may", "will", "should", "intend", "believe", and similar expressions, are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are based on estimates and assumptions made by QSS and/or BlackBerry Limited in light of their experience and perception of historical trends, current conditions, and expected future developments, as well as other factors that QSS and/or BlackBerry believe are appropriate in the circumstances. Many factors could cause QSS and/or BlackBerry's actual results, performance, or achievements to differ materially from those expressed or implied by the forward-looking statements, including those described in the "Risk Factors" section of BlackBerry's Annual Information Form, which is included in its Annual Report on Form 40-F (copies of which filings may be obtained at www.sedar.com or www.sec.gov). These factors should be considered carefully, and readers should not place undue reliance on QSS's and/or BlackBerry's forward-looking statements. BlackBerry and QSS have no intention and undertake no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by law. QSS and/or BlackBerry are not responsible for and assume no obligations or liability and make no representation, warranty, endorsement, or guarantee in relation to any aspect of any third-party products or services.

QNX Media Relations
    1-613-591-0931
    qnxmediarelations@qnx.com"
    rarsen, bungaboy, jxnb and 8 others like this.
    02-24-15 06:59 AM
    OT:
    T-Mobile And Mozilla Will Launch A New ?Privacy Phone? | TechCrunch

In a bid for more traction in the ever-saturated mobile market, Deutsche Telekom, the German parent of T-Mobile, and Mozilla are taking a step forward together. The two have developed a new “privacy phone”, built on Mozilla’s Firefox OS and compliant with privacy directives set by the two companies. The device is due to be formally unveiled next week at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.

The news of the “privacy phone” was buried in a longer article published today in the WSJ about data protection issues in Europe: specifically, regulators in Germany are cracking down on big tech companies as they try to enforce stricter policies around privacy, and consumers are also demanding more secure services.

We’re reaching out both to Deutsche Telekom and Mozilla for more information about the phone. The WSJ story describes the partnership as a joint venture — implying co-investment from both. It also notes that the phones will have preloaded features like location blurring — which means that apps and other services on the phone only pinpoint your location within a larger radius. And users will also be able to register for different services — such as “find my phone” apps — without registering details that identify themselves.

*[...]

Although T-Mobile has operations in several markets, its home market of Germany is ripe ground for more products built with privacy in mind. In addition to regulators cracking down on companies like Facebook and Google over their own privacy policies, consumers are also demanding more control and protection, particularly in light of revelations of activities from government organizations like the NSA in the US, on top of tracking from commercial interests for advertising purposes.
    02-24-15 08:01 AM
    From BNN: Time to be bullish on Blackberry?

Not a fun segment but the guest likes Blackberry, the cash, the drive into auto, Bes12 device etc..

http://www.bnn.ca/Video/player.aspx?...0ebb70f11324aa

Posted via CB10
    Link spitting up an "error loading this content". Hmmm....

*Edit - working

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    02-24-15 08:04 AM
    For those who choose to be overly optimistic about this past weekend's AT&T sellouts, please check out this thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1000091
    Munx and CDM76 like this.
    02-24-15 08:12 AM
    Yeah, I wonder if we should take a snooze on the sellout stories for a bit. There is not point complaining about unfairness if people don't care about BlackBerry. It was definitely unfair in the recent past when they were actively discouraging customers, but simply not knowing or caring isn't quite the same thing.

This is partly why I find the online sellout stuff so infuriating. We aren't in a position to be turning people away from a sale. In addition, every Passport sold equals hundreds of Passport 'sightings' in public - opportunities for people to see the phone, ask about the phone, and possibly buy their own.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    02-24-15 08:48 AM
    Hey the Blackberry p'9983 Porsche is out of stock at shop BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Mr BBRY likes this.
    02-24-15 08:57 AM
    For those who choose to be overly optimistic about this past weekend's AT&T sellouts, please check out this thread:

No enthusiasm from AT&T for Classic and Passport - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
    Try more fiber to your diet man. This was the first weekend that AT&T had devices. Lots of people are ordering online.

It will come. Give it time!
    Last edited by bungaboy; 02-24-15 at 09:24 AM.
    02-24-15 09:02 AM
107,411 ... 32163217321832193220 ...