Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    02-21-15 10:28 PM
    Cybersecurity Stocks Just Got Another Huge Buy Signal

BlackBerry not mentioned but it should be. Also I think BlackBerry has to use the new at least to me buzzword "CyberSecurity".
    CDM76, Superfly_FR, rarsen and 4 others like this.
    02-21-15 10:49 PM
    Until AT&T has proven that they have changed their attitude towards BlackBerry and actually try to sell it, I'd assume low stock, if stocked at all.
    BlackBerry would not have produced a special model without a purchase commtment. So ATT has some product to sell. PP is not expected to be a high volume product though.

Looks like all the US vendors want to sell Classic and Passport. That is progress

Posted with my flash Passport
    02-21-15 11:19 PM
    Wondering if BlackBerry will be able to capitalize with their virtual SIM technology with this issue. I didn't see any mention of BlackBerry being named.
    To me, this is bigger than the other data breaches that we have seen so far. Yes, that says "billions".

Wow.
    Spies from America and the UK hacked into the world�s biggest Sim card producer in a move that gave them unregulated access to billions of mobile phones around the world and looks ready to spark another international line up into overstretch by spying companies.

!http://www.hackersnewsbulletin.com/2...ll-phones.html
    rarsen, theRock1975 and bungaboy like this.
    02-21-15 11:48 PM
    Oops!
    (Insert smiley face here).

Have a safe weekend gents.
    bungaboy likes this.
    02-21-15 11:51 PM
    I have to say I have installed 10.3.1 on my Z30 now and it looks very polished. I have a passport too as I need two phones.

Since the update I have started to use my Z30 again more for doing things. The new OS looks great.

There is still the issue of apps a little bit, as we have to assume that the average user won't side load snaps.

On the whole we are getting to the stage where, just from a first glance, someone can see this is competitive.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 02:55 AM
    BlackBerry would not have produced a special model without a purchase commtment. So ATT has some product to sell. PP is not expected to be a high volume product though.

Looks like all the US vendors want to sell Classic and Passport. That is progress

Pretty sure BlackBerry had a minimum purchase commitment for the Z10 and Q10 as well. Didn't stop any of the carriers from failing to promote BlackBerry back in 2013.

I hope this time is different, but I'll wait and see.
    02-22-15 04:11 AM
  8. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Pretty sure BlackBerry had a minimum purchase commitment for the Z10 and Q10 as well. Didn't stop any of the carriers from failing to promote BlackBerry back in 2013.

I hope this time is different, but I'll wait and see.
    Difference is back then the z10 was so primitive in the OS and with problems and carriers don't like to see lots of returns and complaints!!..

This time I believe they wisely waited and Blackberry's OS 10.3.1 is very solid as is the Classic and Passport hw so I believe things could be much better in the USA...imo this year....

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 04:24 AM
    President Obama and his talk about CyberSecurity is a big endorsement for Blackberry, after all he does use a Blackberry.
    02-22-15 08:30 AM
    02-22-15 09:00 AM
    AT&T out of stock on line for Passport

Blackberry Passport -- AT&T
    Not just out of stock online. Here are the 20 closest retail stores to my area. ONLY 1 of 20 has stock left! And that store is not even in my state, and requires a ferry ride to get there! I am honestly shocked to see this. Oh but wait, each store probably only got 1-2 units and will have 3 units returned.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture1.pngThe BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture2.pngThe BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture3.pngThe BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture4.png
    morganplus8, sidhuk, jxnb and 8 others like this.
    02-22-15 09:04 AM
    In store availability is thin as well:

Of 52 AT&T stores in the 90210 area, Beverly Hills, only one store of 52 has a Passport available.

Of 54 AT&T stores in the 10007 area, Manhattan, only 5 stores of 53 have a Passport available.
    I was quick to post my reply after reading your previous post and doing a search in my area. How bout that! Looks to be consistent on the East and West coast US! This. Is. Very. Good. News! I'll bet AT&T is quite pleased with their US exclusive deal with BlackBerry right about now!

EDIT: I've since finished reading through the rest of the follow up posts to W Hoa's findings and see that some members have there reservations about the data presented and chose to throw cold water on the thought of successful sales in the US. Fair enough. We shall wait and see when the true numbers are released. Or I may try to venture out to some of those very large local retail outlets on my list of 20 to see what the reception is and how many devices each store was allocated. Kind of reminds me of that Seeking Alpha contributor, Michael Collins, who did extensive groundwork during the launch of BB10 devices in the UK. He reported some very favorable findings, which turned out not to represent the large scale roll out of the Z10 / Q10. It will be interesting to see if this time is different. Cheers gang!
    Last edited by Mr BBRY; 02-22-15 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Trigger happy
    jxnb, bungaboy, awindsr and 1 others like this.
    02-22-15 09:09 AM
    I was quick to post my reply after reading your previous post and doing a search in my area. How bout that! Looks to be consistent on the East and West coast US! This. Is. Very. Good. News! I'll bet AT&T is quite pleased with their US exclusive deal with BlackBerry right about now!

EDIT: I've since finished reading through the rest of the follow up posts to W Hoa's findings and see that some members have there reservations about the data presented and chose to throw cold water on the thought of successful sales in the US. Fair enough. We shall wait and see when the true numbers are released. Or I may try to venture out to some of those very large local retail outlets on my list of 20 to see what the reception is and how many devices each store was allocated. Kind of reminds me of that Seeking Alpha contributor, Michael Collins, who did extensive groundwork during the launch of BB10 devices in the UK. He reported some very favorable findings, which turned out not to represent the large scale roll out of the Z10 / Q10. It will be interesting to see if this time is different. Cheers gang!
    It's not necessarily "cold water " it's realistic. Without knowing how many the stores started with (if any) it's impossible to Infer if sales are good. It is possible that stores have not received stock yet. It's also possible all stores got 1-2. It's also possible each store got more than that. All these options tell a different story when we now look and see "out of stock ". So without more data we can infer anything. Guessing and making assumptions doesn't help anyone.

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE and BanffMoose like this.
    02-22-15 09:33 AM
    Pretty sure you are wrong. Vendors can usually return unsold product but if you ask for customization that is a different situation.

That's why the cautious supply chain and booking only sold to customer now

But the commitment would be pretty small for a company like ATT.

bungaboy likes this.
    02-22-15 10:34 AM
    It's not necessarily "cold water " it's realistic. Without knowing how many the stores started with (if any) it's impossible to Infer if sales are good. It is possible that stores have not received stock yet. It's also possible all stores got 1-2. It's also possible each store got more than that. All these options tell a different story when we now look and see "out of stock ". So without more data we can infer anything. Guessing and making assumptions doesn't help anyone.

Posted via CB10
    It is cold water because it is a pessimistic viewpoint on data that might be good news. That doesn't mean it's wrong. I chose to look at it optimistically. I cannot disagree with the case you outlined because until earnings or official announcement, it's anyone's guess. I chose to believe the scenario that supports my investment and hopes, but thank you for keeping my perspective in check. Can we agree to disagree for now?

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    3MIKE, bungaboy, awindsr and 2 others like this.
    02-22-15 10:41 AM
    I spent a portion of my day in airports yesterday have some tidbits to share. First, I was using BlackBerry Travel, of course, and was notified of my flight cancelation before the boards were. This allowed me to get in front of the other hundred or so people that were already through security to speak with customer service. Of course we all had to wait but it was nice to know super early.

While we were waiting, I got a message from Air Canada with a revised itinerary letting me know of the new flights I was now booked on. All those around me got nothing so I said I guess I'm special as I'm the only one using a BlackBerry lol. Of course I know the brand of phone made no difference but I took advantage of the situation as they wouldn't know any different.

I eventually went to the bar for breakfast... Yes, real breakfast, and the guy finishing up had his Z10 on the bar. As 11am came, so did my beer (you had to know) as did a new neighbor. He promptly sat down, ordered his beer, tapped out a message of some sort, then plopped his Q10 on the bar. We talked a bit and he said he likes it but will be getting a classic. Said he liked the Passport but was just a bit too big for his liking.

When I finally boarded, I was walking past first class and spotted two more. One was a 9900 and the other, another Q10.

After I finally reached my destination, I hopped in a cab for the final hour of my trip. I was busy letting people know I had made it, reading this forum, checking weather, taking pics, etc. The cabby looks over and asks what phone I've got. He went on to say how I seemed to be going from task to task so quickly. He then pulled out his iPhone and said he's been with them for about 4 years but will be looking into a BlackBerry soon as he's almost due for an upgrade.

Of course, this is purely anecdotal but still nice to see them in the wild and have others show a genuine interest in the new products.

Posted via CB10
    ibpluto, 3MIKE, jxnb and 28 others like this.
    02-22-15 10:53 AM
    I'm finding that people ask about my Passport, and say either it is really nice, or wow that is big (as in too big).

And then they say along the lines of "I'll probably just get an iPhone 6 when I upgrade".

And then I say I'd rather not worry about dropping the phone and having the screen break - I've dropped my Passport many times onto concrete, asphalt, naked no case, and it's picked up with some very minor scratches. I'm always using it. So it happens Also say to the iSheep I hardly ever have to look for a plug socket. And when I get 200 emails a day triaging is sooooo much easier - can you even search for email folder names in iOS? I don't think so. That is a non starter for me. Countless other features that are just better, faster, easier.

I mention these things and they listen, for sure. Maybe with some hidden envy. But in the end if they get an iPhone they can't be making the wrong choice because everybody else is getting one, right? And nobody wants a blackberry. There must be a good reason. So the safe choice is to follow the herd.

Sure hope word of mouth can slowly change the image.
    02-22-15 02:29 PM
    Back on topic of the US AT&T launch.

Does anyone think Chen is managing the quarterly numbers so closely that he moved up AT&T launch availability to November 20th from November 27th? He needed those initial US pent up demand sales to meet his target?

Hard to know how to read this. These are all high margin/profit hardware sales.

I think they are positive EPS this quarter, just barely, with lower revenue Q/Q (the bottom), and shares will go up when he forecasts growing revenue. But the shorts will still have these two last arguments: that revenue is still decreasing, and hardware sales (units) is decreasing (maybe even quite heavily Q/Q). Although I wouldn't be surprised if they have higher hardware revenue Q/Q with lower unit sales Q/Q (1.5M?).

Here's hoping to a big Samsung partnership announcement, better than expected ER, combining for a good stock pop to $13.50, and the start of the new glory days .... March 27th.
    3MIKE, morganplus8, Corbu and 8 others like this.
    02-22-15 02:39 PM
    I'm finding that people ask about my Passport, and say either it is really nice, or wow that is big (as in too big).

And then they say along the lines of "I'll probably just get an iPhone 6 when I upgrade".

And then I say I'd rather not worry about dropping the phone and having the screen break - I've dropped my Passport many times onto concrete, asphalt, naked no case, and it's picked up with some very minor scratches. I'm always using it. So it happens Also say to the iSheep I hardly ever have to look for a plug socket. And when I get 200 emails a day triaging is sooooo much easier - can you even search for email folder names in iOS? I don't think so. That is a non starter for me. Countless other features that are just better, faster, easier.

I mention these things and they listen, for sure. Maybe with some hidden envy. But in the end if they get an iPhone they can't be making the wrong choice because everybody else is getting one, right? And nobody wants a blackberry. There must be a good reason. So the safe choice is to follow the herd.

Sure hope word of mouth can slowly change the image.
    And. In 5 . . . 4 . . . 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . .
    3MIKE, sidhuk, cjcampbell and 2 others like this.
    02-22-15 02:54 PM

It'll be better to remember BlackBerry history and the lack of carrier support for BlackBerry in 2013 and 2014. Sentiment by reviewers may be changing slowly, but I don't think anyone has noted any change in carrier or salesperson sentiment since the Z10/Q10 launch. Did Apple drop their sales commitments from carriers? If not, why would carriers suddenly start to promote BlackBerry?

Verizon was the only US carrier to pick up the Z30 and they got wireless charging. AT&T is the only US carrier to pick up the Passport and they got wireless charging and round corners. Doesn't mean AT&T will fully stock all their stores or order phones in Bold 9000 quantities either.

Choosing to be optimistic is one thing but being cautiously optimistic is better, and being conservative in your expectations is better yet. I'd rather have upside surprise than a let down followed by finger pointing and vitriol.

Right now, there's nothing to indicate AT&T stores were well supplied or that sufficient quantities were made available for online launch sales. Just sit back and watch and hope for the best.
    3MIKE, ZayDub, rarsen and 5 others like this.
    02-22-15 04:04 PM
    I spent a portion of my day ...
    Cool story, loved reading it!!

Can't get my BlackBerry travel to work properly though. There is a post over in the PP forum with others having issues as well. Hope 10.3.1 resolves the issues.

Worked amazingly well with my Q10.
    02-22-15 04:40 PM

Never understood that. People seem to be ignorant. Put them side by side and they will see right away how they are. I think they assume the i6 is like the i5 in size...

The PP is the best pocket friendly BIG phone out there.

Putting up/dealing with tall phones is way more troublesome.
    02-22-15 04:48 PM
    One more week before all numbers come to a close for the quarter. Looking forward to see the figures they report on their ER call and to see how well their software side is picking up.

Does anyone have the street/analysts' expectations?
    bungaboy and 3MIKE like this.
    02-22-15 04:53 PM
    Had Raison D'Extra recently. In my top 5 beers.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/64/3089/

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag, 3MIKE and Mr BBRY like this.
    02-22-15 06:12 PM
    CJ, great tip on taking advantage of the resources available to you.
    Sounds like your day went a little smoother because of it.
    Nice.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 08:07 PM
113,256 ... 32143215321632173218 ...