View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    It is inexcusable for companies like Netflix to not support Blackberry via Android runtime. All they had to do was to submit the app to BlackBerry World. Why would they limit their own customer base like that? There was definitely some anti-competitive and unethical deals going on. Alec Saunders even offered to send some software guys to Netflix for free!

The way I see it, the competition couldn't beat Blackberry with innovation so they decided to play dirty and hurt them early on(BB10) to keep them down.

Moving forward, security and encryption is a global concern. Not only is BB10 the best OS and the most productive, it is the most secure.

BES12 and QNX will be cash cows for the company in FY2016. With Chen confirming that Blackberry is making money on every device, we can expect lower hardware revenue but higher profit margins on the hardware. I don't believe this is a risky investment at all. I have no idea what shorts could possibly be thinking.

Posted via CB10
    sidhuk, La Emperor, rarsen and 6 others like this.
    01-25-15 11:45 AM
    I've talked to several people at Netflix about this, and the answer is they invest in devices that are normally connected to TVs, and platforms that they believe are growing. BB10 is not a platform that everyone thinks is growing. And BB doesn't have a device that you would normally see connected to a TV all the time.

On the banking side, I'm not quite sure what Chen is asking us to do. If he's asking that we use HTML5 to make our apps, that is sort of pointless since we already have a mobile site that our customers can access. Packaging that same site into an app doesn't make sense for us or our customers.

Instead we make proper native apps with features we can't make in HTML. Are we choosing which platforms we do this for? Of course we are. We also don't have ATMs in every shopping center in every country where we have customers. We choose the locations where we have enough customers to justify the ATM. Similarly, we choose the platforms and devices where we have enough customers to justify the maintenance of a native app.

Again, I'm not quite sure what Chen is asking. If he's saying our user experience on iOS should be no better than what we offer BB10 users, then that makes no sense. More than 75% of our high value customers use iOS. Overall 99% of our customers use either Android or iOS. Why wouldn't we offer the best possible service to the vast majority of our customers where the cost is easily justified on a per user basis?

I think people don't realize that for a top 5 international bank, it costs many tens of millions of dollars every year to publish, maintain, and monitor apps. To add another platform is not a small cost. We can't just hire some kid in a basement to take care of that for us. With so few BB10 users, it would be cheaper for us to just hire private bankers to work with those few users personally and attend to their every needs! (Especially since 83% of our BB10 users are in one country. 56% are in one single metropolitan area!)

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    If a company like netflix doesnt think that it is economically justifiable to serve 10million plus blackberry 10 devices or more like 40 million plus blackberry devices, then Blackberry should have a way to invest their own money to develop for these companies, including instagram.
    if blackberry or any other company if chooses to do so, under the netflix or instagrams given guidelines. there should be way to have the access to, when something becomes essential by quantities, specially when neither netflix nor instagram and the banking apps charge any money for their apps.
    this is some what a scenario of windows IE issue which Europeans thought had advantage over other browsers because browser is an essential part of services. JC makes the same point but with a futuristic twist.
    01-25-15 11:58 AM
    If a company like netflix doesnt think that it is economically justifiable to serve 10million plus blackberry 10 devices or more like 40 million plus blackberry devices, then Blackberry should have a way to invest their own money to develop for these companies, including instagram.
    So first of all, the BBOS users are totally irrelevant. Even BlackBerry is not going to invest in trying to make Netflix work on BB7. So we're really just talking about 10M BB10 devices. The question is how many of those users have other devices that they can use with Netflix? How many actual people are not subscribed today, but would subscribe if only Netflix supported BB10? I suspect that number is pretty tiny.

Allowing BB or any other third party to develop a fully functional app would mean sharing access to their systems, private APIs, DRM and roadmap. It would involve coordination with a third party as they evolve their product. These are not trivial things. And again, the question any Netflix exec would ask is "how many actual subscribers will this either add or retain for us?"

awindsr and StormieTwo like this.
    01-25-15 12:06 PM
    My opinion is that the consistently negative people in these forms (there are about 2 dozen of them of so) are either a) paid and/or have a hidden agenda or b) are epic freaking losers, that live in their mom's basement. No sane or mature person would bother to make their way to someplace to get a rise out of the faithful, you have to have a few screws loose. I've known a few people that had this type of behavior in other forms, I traced much of it back to the fact they were grossly picked on in their youth and this is how they lashed out....sad really.

Is what it is thou, the powers that be seem content to keep the status quo, some even join in or back up the naysayers. One of the reasons I spend a lot less time in the forms (tend to stay in here)

CB10'n it....via da Z30
    This is definitely the best place to be. No bull!

I find it interesting how what is said on the Web is exactly opposite to what people say in person.

Ex. Last week, I had boardroom meetings with all kinds of senior and experienced IT personnel. The purpose of the meetings were specifically related to multimedia issues we are experiencing on Apple products. Safari browser issues, QuickTime issues, media playback issues on ipads, Macs etc... The group had Web experts, software experts, media streaming experts, network experts.. the guys that can charge $1000/day for their experience. Absolutely everyone ridiculed Apple for being overpriced useless garbage.

Step foot into a mainstream tech site and you'll hear the opposite.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 12:10 PM
    So first of all, the BBOS users are totally irrelevant. Even BlackBerry is not going to invest in trying to make Netflix work on BB7. So we're really just talking about 10M BB10 devices. The question is how many of those users have other devices that they can use with Netflix? How many actual people are not subscribed today, but would subscribe if only Netflix supported BB10? I suspect that number is pretty tiny.

Allowing BB or any other third party to develop a fully functional app would mean sharing access to their systems, private APIs, DRM and roadmap. It would involve coordination with a third party as they evolve their product. These are not trivial things. And again, the question any Netflix exec would ask is "how many actual subscribers will this either add or retain for us?"

This is a ridiculous argument!

Having outside people developing for a company should not be an issue as far as sharing private API's (especially for something as trivial as Netflix). NDA's solve most concerns and having an outside firm contracted to develop apps is common place. Most companies I know don't keep app development staff on hand, vast majority are done by 3rd party, how is BlackBerry acting as a 3rd party any different?

Most CIO's I know would jump at the chance to have someone develop apps for free for them. Heck I wish BlackBerry would contact my CIO (I work for a $15 billion/year corp). We are in the process of developing new mobile platforms and apps to allow access to our internal servers and we are paying a 3rd party to do it. Knowing our CIO, he would roll out the red carpet if someone came in and said, let us develop and app for free for you for our platform. I fail to see any downside

CB10'n it....via da Z30
    theRock1975, 3MIKE, sidhuk and 4 others like this.
    01-25-15 12:31 PM
    I've talked to several people at Netflix about this, and the answer is they invest in devices that are normally connected to TVs, and platforms that they believe are growing. BB10 is not a platform that everyone thinks is growing. And BB doesn't have a device that you would normally see connected to a TV all the time.

Next time ask them why they refuse to invest resources in developing an app but go out of their way to intentionally block BlackBerry users in downloading their app from Amazon.

Posted via CB10
    theRock1975, 3MIKE, sidhuk and 5 others like this.
    01-25-15 12:35 PM
    Alec Saunders even offered to send some software guys to Netflix for free!
    "Hello, it's Neflix, here, we've got a big update being pushed out next month and we need your software guys to come back to update the BB10 version of our app. They aren't there anymore? Let me talk with Alec Saunders. He's not there anymore? What do you mean nobody who does that works there anymore, and we're on our own?"
    awindsr and alludba like this.
    01-25-15 12:35 PM
    "Hello, it's Neflix, here, we've got a big update being pushed out next month and we need your software guys to come back to update the BB10 version of our app. They aren't there anymore? Let me talk with Alec Saunders. He's not there anymore? What do you mean nobody who does that works there anymore, and we're on our own?"
    Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, I give you exhibit "A" of what I was referring to from my earlier post.....

CB10'n it....via da Z30
    01-25-15 12:40 PM
    This is definitely the best place to be. No bull!

I find it interesting how what is said on the Web is exactly opposite to what people say in person.

Ex. Last week, I had boardroom meetings with all kinds of senior and experienced IT personnel. The purpose of the meetings were specifically related to multimedia issues we are experiencing on Apple products. Safari browser issues, QuickTime issues, media playback issues on ipads, Macs etc... The group had Web experts, software experts, media streaming experts, network experts.. the guys that can charge $1000/day for their experience. Absolutely everyone ridiculed Apple for being overpriced useless garbage.

Step foot into a mainstream tech site and you'll hear the opposite.

Posted via CB10
    Anyone that knows a thing or two about multimedia can tell you Apple's "multimedia" products are a joke. Their iPod was great, but did they really need to create their own music codec? Everything for Apple is "how can we corner this and make money from it?" and with all due respect, it's worked wonders for them; look how many iPads and iPods they've sold to date, and those things can't even run the most basic and oldest video/audio codecs. I feel like the better multimedia centers or products should play whatever I chuck at it, and Apple products won't let me do so.

Such is business and for some reason, people like giving their business to Apple.

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE, La Emperor, sidhuk and 5 others like this.
    01-25-15 12:42 PM
    On recent trip to the USA, some knew that it was blackberry passport, some were like," holly frick, is that a blackberry?". All I heard was praised about blackberry which are very promising. Now getting the phone available to the public is another story. I for one, still think that all the carriers had/have purposely ganged up on BlackBerry. So did the companies like netflix, hullu etc. People have BS argument that why would these companies spend their money on developing for BlackBerry because they don't have market share?
    Blackberry will develop apps for netflix etc on their own cost but these companies refuse to let them in.
    I believe there are paid BlackBerry bashers on this site who have a job to bad mouth BlackBerry no matter what.
    Why would some one spend their entire day bashing something or praising something if don't have any interest?
    I for one come here because I believe in this company and I have invested money in BlackBerry. I want this company to succeed.
    Bashers on the other hand come here to speak the "truth" lol. They spend their entire day bashing BlackBerry for months and years, singing songs of BlackBerry death just cause they want to defend the "truth" and they have no "other" interest? Lol
    But yet, BlackBerry refuse to die.

Posted using BlackBerry passport.
    I think that they might be coming over here now to try and ruin this thread now.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-25-15 12:42 PM
    My eldest sister is testing one of my spare Z30's. She's had an iPhone 4 for about 4 years. My youngest sister, I gave my Z10 to about 8 months ago and she can't live without it now.

Whilst giving it to her, I thought of it as an experiment: to put a BlackBerry 10 device into the hands of a teenager. She tells me her friends are always asking what type of phone she has and how's she able to listen/watch YouTube whilst performing other tasks on her phone.

Posted via CB10
    Apple/android don't do that?!?!?

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 12:43 PM
    This is a ridiculous argument!

Having outside people developing for a company should not be an issue as far as sharing private API's (especially for something as trivial as Netflix). NDA's solve most concerns and having an outside firm contracted to develop apps is common place. Most companies I know don't keep app development staff on hand, vast majority are done by 3rd party, how is BlackBerry acting as a 3rd party any different?

Most CIO's I know would jump at the chance to have someone develop apps for free for them. Heck I wish BlackBerry would contact my CIO (I work for a $15 billion/year corp). We are in the process of developing new mobile platforms and apps to allow access to our internal servers and we are paying a 3rd party to do it. Knowing our CIO, he would roll out the red carpet if someone came in and said, let us develop and app for free for you for our platform. I fail to see any downside

CB10'n it....via da Z30
    Some businesses give full API access to 3rd parties. Some don't. Some only give partial access. You work for a company that would invite 3rd party devs. I work for a company that gives only very limited access. An NDA is very weak protection and doesn't address the coordination and evolution issues at all.

Netflix wants to own their customer experience on all platforms that they support. They want control over the presentation and quality. They want to manage the QoS over different platforms which they support. They want to control how new features are introduced. They want consistent customer service (they don't want to have to transfer a user to BlackBerry if a user is having trouble and that trouble is due to a bug in the app)

Amazon, Disney and Apple are the same way when it comes to their media services. So it's not as if Netflix is different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    awindsr likes this.
    Good luck with your investments kid. I hope that alleged MBA works out for you.
    Next time ask them why they refuse to invest resources in developing an app but go out of their way to intentionally block BlackBerry users in downloading their app from Amazon.

Posted via CB10
    Because they don't want to invest in making sure the app works correctly on that platform over time. What happens when a user on a BB device can't stream a show? Whom does that user call?

01-25-15 12:45 PM
    some people eat to live, some people live to eat. you argument doesn't address both. are you making fun of Alec Saunders? or you are here to get people on this thread to get in trouble with the MODS?
    you have been asked many times to back up your previous FUd that you posted here about what JC said? but you never clarified it.
    I have no idea what you trying to create? obviously you know how to get away from MODS rules and get others in trouble who bite on your baseless claims.
    01-25-15 12:47 PM
    Apple/android don't do that?!?!?

Posted via CB10
    Apparently not. Even one of my friends was surprised that I was doing so on my Z30. The YouTube app stops playing when you get off the app.

However, I think the YouTube app for Android has received an update recently which allows you to do so, although not confirmed.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 12:48 PM
    Because they don't want to invest in making sure the app works correctly on that platform over time. What happens when a user on a BB device can't stream a show? Whom does that user call?

Nah I don't buy that. The app is unofficial and off the record. Maybe this is not the best analogy but would anyone steal satellite TV then call the provider when the service goes down? BlackBerry virtually offered to pay for the development for god sakes!

Posted via CB10
    sidhuk and bungaboy like this.
    01-25-15 12:54 PM

Roku sold about 8 million devices between 2008 and 2013. BB10 is doing much better based on those sales. i dont think that every one who bought Roku has netflix subscription? there are many other examples that i can see just do not make this argument valid that BB10 is irrelevant.
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2460778,00.asp
    La Emperor and bungaboy like this.
    01-25-15 12:54 PM
    Some businesses give full API access to 3rd parties. Some don't. Some only give partial access. You work for a company that would invite 3rd party devs. I work for a company that gives only very limited access. An NDA is very weak protection and doesn't address the coordination and evolution issues at all.

Netflix wants to own their customer experience on all platforms that they support. They want control over the presentation and quality. They want to manage the QoS over different platforms which they support. They want to control how new features are introduced. They want consistent customer service (they don't want to have to transfer a user to BlackBerry if a user is having trouble and that trouble is due to a bug in the app)

Amazon, Disney and Apple are the same way when it comes to their media services. So it's not as if Netflix is different.

They can own it even if they don't write the app. Corporate and social guidelines for apps can be set, vetted and tested. Predetermined update and service cycles can also be dictated. I have no doubt BlackBerry offered all of this and for free non the less. They did the same for Instagram, not only did they offer to write the app. They went ahead and made a working app to offer and demonstrate.

It certainly raises an eyebrow....i go by the old saying that you never look a gift horse in the mouth

CB10'n it....via da Z30
    sidhuk, bungaboy and Shanerredflag like this.
    01-25-15 12:56 PM
    I think that they might be coming over here now to try and ruin this thread now.

Posted via CB10
    MARS ATTACKS !! Lol
    bungaboy and Shanerredflag like this.
    01-25-15 12:56 PM
    Nah I don't buy that. The app is unofficial and off the record. Maybe this is not the best analogy but would anyone steal satellite TV then call the provider when the service goes down? BlackBerry virtually offered to pay for the development for god sakes!

Posted via CB10
    I don't think satellite providers actually enjoy people stealing their service.

You're asking why Netflix didn't allow BB to make their app. Would those users then call BB if something is wrong? How much do you really trust BB to make fixes and get those fixes out to users? If I were Netflix and wanted to make an app, I would make it myself and have control over it. Others may disagree, but apparently Netflix feels like I do on this. (At least that is true for the few people I know there)

A bad user experience ultimately reflects poorly on Netflix. So the answer from netflix is to kindly use their service on your iPad or android or PS4 or laptop, etc. Then Netflix can fully stand behind the experience.

awindsr likes this.
    01-25-15 12:57 PM
    Roku sold about 8 million devices between 2008 and 2013. BB10 is doing much better based on those sales. i dont think that every one who bought Roku has netflix subscription? there are many other examples that i can see just do not make this argument valid that BB10 is irrelevant.
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2460778,00.asp
    If BB sold 8 million devices that were connected to TVs in living rooms, you can be certain Netflix would make an app for it. Mobile is a retention issue for Netflix, but the living room is and always has been their long term goal.

01-25-15 01:00 PM
    I don't think satellite providers actually enjoy people stealing their service.

You're asking why Netflix didn't allow BB to make their app. Would those users then call BB if something is wrong? A bad user experience ultimately reflects poorly on Netflix. So the answer from netflix is to kindly use their service on your iPad or android or PS4 or laptop, etc. Then Netflix can fully stand behind the experience.

How can you be so certain that BB10 will certainly have bad netflix app experience?
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-25-15 01:03 PM
    How can you be so certain that BB10 will certainly have bad netflix app experience?
    I would flip that question around. The real question is how do you know BB users would have a good Netflix experience, equal to that on other platforms? That's the question Netflix should be asking. Look at how poor BB's Facebook experience is compared to the real app.

awindsr likes this.
    01-25-15 01:06 PM
    Is what it is thou, the powers that be seem content to keep the status quo, some even join in or back up the naysayers. One of the reasons I spend a lot less time in the forms (tend to stay in here)

CB10'n it....via da Z30
    Agree 100%. I've gotten into a "discussion " with a mod because I called another forum member an "id iot". He Was straight out trying to entice a argument and lying even when shown proof to contrary by other members. So because I insulted him I got an infraction but he was allowed to keep going. I know being a mod isn't easy but it's a little lacking on this "fan" site (didn't Kevin say a couple years ago that he wanted CB to be the "#1 BlackBerry Fan Site" ?)

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-25-15 01:07 PM
113,256 ... 31583159316031613162 ...