View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

694 62.52%
  • No

416 37.48%
    Boys, the security exchanges probably called them and they had to go public with the matter. They also wanted to know if they should halt the stock, but the time ran out and the stock market closed.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 07:39 PM
    Good point about listing on the TSX for Canadian companies. Thanks for sharing that.

Posted via CB10
    Corbu and bungaboy like this.
    01-15-15 07:43 PM
    Speaking to a friend today and he told me his colleague switched from an iPhone 5S to the BlackBerry Passport. He specifically mentioned how he was "raving about it"

It's nothing wow, but the Passport is making its rounds slowly but surely.
    Friend, I almost have my work buddy on a blackberry device. He's looking over the BlackBerry website instead of dealing with the local store salespeople. I got him on BBM and he's hooked! Just needs to grab a device now, as he's currently on Motorola.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 07:46 PM
    That's freakin awesome buddy!! Any special photo opportunities please send me way. Lol. Enjoy yourselves and keep us posted. Dang that's a nice picture!

Posted via CB10
    Absolutely Lenny... we just got here so will update as the festivities unfold...thank God for some British drugs (Solpadine) we took. When in the UK buy this *hit....it fixes everything...not legal in NA..haha.

Posted by my fabulous Passport
    01-15-15 07:50 PM
    Don't let the title fool you, this kid is awesome "complaining" about the Blackberry Passport.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 09:37 PM
    Let's watch this again.
    http://www.bnn.ca/Video/player.aspx?vid=531412

Posted using BlackBerry passport.
    morganplus8, lcjr, bbjdog and 4 others like this.
    01-15-15 09:50 PM
    Hello all late night rocket scientists. Need assistance here with a BBM question.

I found this link and it opens up, but can't find how to access it from within BBM.

It's BBM Airtime Topup.

http://berryflow.com/2014/10/bbm-int...ed-transferto/

Anybody heard of this or better, used it?

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 10:13 PM
    Go to BBM shop when inside BBM app. Scroll through and you should find it.
    bungaboy, rarsen and lcjr like this.
    01-15-15 10:39 PM
    Oh and I've used it and it worked great.
    bungaboy and lcjr like this.
    01-15-15 10:43 PM
    Ah, thanks friend. For some reason I was thinking this would be an app. It's in the shop which suggests it would be a download, but it just opens from within the shop. Weird. Thanks again for your quick response and have a fantastic evening.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 10:45 PM
    Tizen is so Samsung doesn't have to pay patent fees to MS who is making more from Android than it will ever make from WinPhone. When you add IoT to 10s of millions of appliances, a per device fee estimated to be $3.81 or over a 1B over a fiscal year is large potatoes for any corp. Samsung isn't going away from Android, in fact...

Are you an analyst?
    01-16-15 12:56 AM
    Friend, I almost have my work buddy on a blackberry device. He's looking over the BlackBerry website instead of dealing with the local store salespeople. I got him on BBM and he's hooked! Just needs to grab a device now, as he's currently on Motorola.

Posted via CB10
    That's what I like to hear!
    01-16-15 01:56 AM
    So I guess we'll have to sit through this weather in the markets ! I hope today is the last day and no bad news.
    bbjdog likes this.
    01-16-15 05:34 AM
    Can't remind who asked about the $15 "way undervalued" by Chen.
    (TW was ok, but ...) Here you go : BNN - Watch TV Online | John Chen: $15/share for BlackBerry is 'way undervalued'
    bbjdog, bungaboy, rarsen and 5 others like this.
    01-16-15 05:42 AM
    Are you an analyst?
    Not sure what Ment thinks, but I prefer to be known as a 'vaginalist'...

Posted via CB10
    01-16-15 07:23 AM
    Blackberry Classic import data as per Zauba.com

https://www.zauba.com/import-classic...1-hs-code.html
    rarsen and Soumaila Somtore like this.
    01-16-15 08:26 AM
    Do you know what means (INR)?
    01-16-15 08:56 AM
    Engadget just published a rather good synopsis of BlackBerry and Samsung. The best I've seen from those guys lately with regards BlackBerry.

Here's the thing about the Internet of Things market: It's young. It hasn't solidified yet. There's no clear market winner.... But BlackBerry? That's a company with rebounding clout, and one of the most ardent, devoted and possibly craziest fan bases you'll ever see. Alas, both companies have buttoned up on the matter, so we might not ever know what they saw in each other. One thing's for sure, though: This isn't the last time you'll hear these rumors. Everything old is new again.
    This isn't the last we've heard of Samsung buying BlackBerry
    01-16-15 08:59 AM
    Indian rupee (roupie indienne)
    01-16-15 09:00 AM
    India rupee

#BBFactCheck
    01-16-15 09:04 AM
    Indian rupee (roupie indienne)
    You just had to answer it!

Who cares about the INR, I care about the quantity, because it's a good measure of sales. Especially when India is buying the phone.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-15 09:05 AM
    Engadget just published a rather good synopsis of BlackBerry and Samsung. The best I've seen from those guys lately with regards BlackBerry.

This isn't the last we've heard of Samsung buying BlackBerry
    I agree with your assessment - was about to post the same with the same comments
    W Hoa and La Emperor like this.
    01-16-15 09:10 AM
    Interesting article on what's involved in getting approval of a BlackBerry sale for we who are not Canadian:

Canada Spies Seen as Biggest Obstacle in BlackBerry Bid
    By Theophilos Argitis Jan 15, 2015 4:47 PM ET 0 Comments Email Print

Photographer: Hannah Yoon/Bloomberg
    An attendee demonstrates a BlackBerry Ltd. Passport smartphone during a product... Read More

Related
    Why Samsung Would Want BlackBerry
    Canada’s spies may be the biggest obstacle to any sale of BlackBerry Ltd. (BB)

A foreign acquisition of the Canadian smartphone maker would trigger a national security review, largely by a secret committee of senior officials that includes the heads of two spy agencies. The committee would determine whether Canada can trust the buyer with government communication.

“The government has shown interest in national security in telecoms” and information technology, said James Musgrove, co-chair of the competition practice at law firm McMillan LLP in Toronto. “I expect they would show a very high degree of interest in this transaction.”

Questions over whether the federal government would allow a foreign takeover of BlackBerry resurfaced yesterday after Reuters reported Samsung Electronics Co. had proposed a potential acquisition. Both BlackBerry and Samsung denied the report, sending the stock down 20 percent today in Toronto, erasing most of the gains from a day earlier.

The regulatory hurdles for any buyer would be lofty, and largely opaque, competition experts say.

The government amended its foreign-takeover law in 2009 to add national security to the list of issues that can trigger a review. While it has outlined some steps in the process, it hasn’t revealed any details of the security review committee or described how it weighs risks. Among the initial steps of any review would be to gather detail on what patents, technologies and operations of BlackBerry are critical to government operations in Canada and other key security allies.

Those security concerns probably eliminate from contention most state-owned suitors and increases the regulatory complexity of transactions from bidders, like Samsung, that aren’t based in the U.S. or U.K., Canada’s two main security partners. BlackBerry markets itself as a secure communications platform in a world filled with hackers and prying governments. The company’s phones are used by world leaders including Barack Obama, David Cameron and Angela Merkel.

Potential Threats

Before any approval, the government would seek to safeguard government secrecy. The bar is higher for companies based in countries considered potential threats.

Canada cited security concerns in 2013 by rejecting Manitoba Telecom Services Inc.’s (MBT) C$520 million ($477 million) sale of its Allstream unit to an investment firm co-founded by Egyptian billionaire Naguib Sawiris.

Canadian officials discouraged Waterloo, Ontario-based BlackBerry from pursuing a deal with Chinese computer maker Lenovo Group Ltd. last year on the grounds it could compromise security, a person familiar with the matter told Bloomberg at the time. Harper said in an Oct. 18 interview that BlackBerry should be wary of potential takeovers that present security risks.

“The first filter is whether the buyer is state-owned; the second filter is whether the country is a friend or not,” said Walid Hejazi, who studies foreign investment at the University of Toronto.

Nexen Bid

The Canadian Security Intelligence Service warned in 2012 that some foreign state-owned enterprises may represent a threat to national security. Later that year, Canada banned state-owned enterprises from acquiring businesses in the nation’s oil sands outside of “exceptional circumstances,” after approving Beijing-based Cnooc Ltd.’s (883) purchase of Nexen Inc. of Calgary. At the time, the government said it would also “carefully monitor” transactions involving foreign state-owned firms throughout the economy.

There would also be additional hurdles, including a separate review that seeks to determine whether a foreign acquisition has a net economic benefit to Canada. That means the buyers may be required to commit to maintain investment and research spending in Canada and employment levels, especially in this election year when a foreign takeover of one of Canada’s most iconic companies would be a campaign issue.

“I would imagine that there would be significant undertakings required” for any approval of a BlackBerry takeover, McMillan’s Musgrove said.

Potash Blocked

Even U.S. buyers are not immune. In 2008, the government blocked the sale of MacDonald Dettwiler & Associates Ltd.’s space business to Minneapolis-based Alliant Techsystems Inc., marking the first rejection under the Investment Canada Act since the law was created in 1985. Harper also denied Melbourne-based BHP Billiton Ltd.’s (BHP) hostile bid to buy Potash Corp. of Saskatchewan Inc. in 2010.

In BlackBerry’s case, it might come down to whether the Canadian government believes the smartphone maker can operate as a standalone company.

“If they believe BlackBerry will fail without this injection, they will allow it,” University of Toronto’s Hejazi said. “If they think it can succeed, they’ll have more flexibility.”

To contact the reporter on this story: Theophilos Argitis in Ottawa at targitis@bloomberg.net

To contact the editors responsible for this story: David Scanlan at dscanlan@bloomberg.net Sarah Rabil

Canada Spies Seen as Biggest Obstacle in BlackBerry Bid - Bloomberg
    01-16-15 09:29 AM
    Superfly
    I was really glad to see you post on the MarketWatch blog.
    "@superfly_FR: $BBRY don't sell BlackBerry !
    http://t.co/n0m0NB3NlC"@blackberry why doesn't this video play on my Passport?
    We need many people like you spread the word.
    Thank you!!
    Can't remind who asked about the $15 "way undervalued" by Chen.
    (TW was ok, but ...) Here you go : BNN - Watch TV Online | John Chen: $15/share for BlackBerry is 'way undervalued'
    01-16-15 09:47 AM
    Oppenheimer Comments On Meeting With BlackBerry's CFO - BlackBerry (NASDAQ:BBRY) | Benzinga

Andrew Uerkwitz of Oppenheimer on Thursday summarized in a note details of a recent meeting with BlackBerry Ltd's Chief Financial Officer James Yersh.

Uerkwitz notes that the executive denied the speculation of a takeout bid by Samsung, but did talk about creating strong partnerships with Samsung to unlock further value. The analyst does add his belief there Is potential interest in BlackBerry as an acquisition target but “do not expect anything immediate.”

Uerkwitz notes that the company has plenty of liquidity and is steadfast in executing its the strategy and creating value for shareholders.

Yersh touted the early success of the company's turnaround and pointed out that recent product launches, including the Passport and the Classic were received well based on customer feedback. However, the analyst does state that he is cautious on the hardware segment but has become more confident in the company's ability to execute its software strategy.

Bottom line, Uerkwitz believes that fiscal 2016 will be another transition year for the company due to “multiple moving parts” and that a downside risk exists for Software revenues due to shrinkage in installed base.

Shares are Perform Rated with no assigned price target.
    01-16-15 09:58 AM
106,816 ... 31373138313931403141 ...