View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

694 62.52%
  • No

416 37.48%
    Well BlackBerry did confirm that they had several offers and one being for over 7 billion, weather it was from Samsung or not who knows? What I can take from this is that the people that are inside BlackBerry and that are in the know, figured that BlackBerry was worth more than that and rejected the offer. At lease it gives me conference that the stock will be going higher.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 11:48 PM
    Have you noticed these rumors always come out when the stock is dropping in $9 range. Remember last time it was reported Lenevo was ready to "make an offer as early as this week." It sent the stock flying back up above 10. Same thing again.

I think someone, maybe management, wants to keep this stock above $10. Maybe a tactic by JC to keep shareholders optimistic. If the stock is doing well, media support, more likely a company is willing to invest in BlackBerry products and services.
    3MIKE and sati01 like this.
    01-15-15 12:06 AM
    Have you noticed these rumors always come out when the stock is dropping in $9 range. Remember last time it was reported Lenevo was ready to "make an offer as early as this week." It sent the stock flying back up above 10. Same thing again.

I think someone, maybe management, wants to keep this stock above $10. Maybe a tactic by JC to keep shareholders optimistic. If the stock is doing well, media support, more likely a company is willing to invest in BlackBerry products and services.
    It is just as likely to be the shorters doing this , since the rumors tend to be rather short lived and there also tends to be a bit of a sell off after being exposed as a rumor, giving them a chance to buy back some of their shorted stock.

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE likes this.
    01-15-15 12:14 AM
    Wow that was fun.

So we have an article from a respected writer saying Samsung proposed a purchase at about a 40% premium. She has seen numbers on paper. Doesn't say when but does say it was an opener for discussion

Stock price follows this as if it was an offer

BlackBerry later responds no offer. No discussion going on.

Samsung follows with. Not trying to buy and mentions many reasons focus is elsewhere.

These two statement are definitive. So nothing happening now and nothing expected.

SP reserves but not all the way back.

And it is revealed this isn't the only such recent proposal.

Boils down to. Samsung and others have made proposal and all were rejected as the BoD is confident BlackBerry is worth much more. Which means the blocks of shares and debentures Watsa controls see much higher than $15.

Of course it also means Samsung and othes see currebt SP as under valuing BlackBerry.

In for the long haul

.... so who showed that reported those documents. Whoever did knew the proposal was rejected without any negotiating but left that part out

Posted with my flash Passport
    01-15-15 12:22 AM

Not to discount your post, as it is completely plausible, I also agree RE the shorts. It is a lot more dangerous and easily discovered if a company pumps false news like that rather than an influential "investor." If BlackBerry and Chen got caught doing that, no headlines could save that stock.

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE likes this.
    01-15-15 12:23 AM
    The Statement issued by Blackberry:

BlackBerry said it's "aware of certain press reports published today with respect to a possible offer by Samsung to purchase BlackBerry," according to a statement. "BlackBerry has not engaged in discussions with Samsung with respect to any possible offer to purchase BlackBerry."

The missing hidden words in the statement:

BlackBerry said it's "aware of certain press reports published today with respect to a possible offer by Samsung to purchase BlackBerry," according to a statement. "Blackberry received a proposal from Samsung and the board were reviewing the proposal and did not make any decision yet. For this reason, BlackBerry has not engaged in discussions with Samsung with respect to any possible offer to purchase BlackBerry."
    I think the important missing words in BlackBerry's response is that they explicitly state "purchase BlackBerry". So as shown in many reports, BlackBerry is NOT for sale, especially at these paltry offers. BUT, their can always be a large strategic investment in the company. Samsung has so much to gain from BlackBerry, and the same vice versa. I think the key point BlackBerrys top brass want to drive home is that they are not for sale! They don't want to scare potential BES, QNX, device customers away with this uncertainty and inconsistency. Thats why they made the statement almost immediately after Reuters story to clear that air.

Now with that said, it doesnt mean that they arent or havent been in discussions about deep partnerships with these potential suitors (Samsung now, Lenovo before, etc). I think this the key takeaway from BlackBerry's almost instant response today.

Posted via CB10
    georg4BB and bigbbrybeliever like this.
    01-15-15 12:39 AM
    I called it way way way back in 2013! Quoting my posts from April 2013!!!

As I posted few weeks ago, Samsung acquiring or partnering with BlackBerry makes most sense. Here is why -

Alternative OS / Reduced dependence on Android -
    1. Samsung has been trying to develop an alternative OS to Android. They are trying to reduce their dependence on Android. Instead of introducing a new OS (Tizen), they can simply acquire or license BlackBerry 10 OS which already has a decent (and improving) app systems. No need to invest billions on Tizen. Buy or license BB 10.

Security -
    2. BlackBerry 10 OS is proven as a brand and already has security related certifications for enterprise and sensitive government clients. No need to invest on knox. Get BlackBerry 10. BlackBerry also owns key patents in cryptography (such as elipitcal curve etc.)

Ability to build cheap hardware -
    3. Samsung manufactures and owns a lot of components that go inside a smartphone. They can build BlackBerry for much cheaper. BlackBerry already sells hardware at top-tier pricing. Samsung can reduce pricing a bit and at the same time reduce cost a bit. This will help them keep decent profit margins.

BlackBerry Messenger - Text, Voice, Video and Channels -
    4. Once cross-platform BBM is launched, it has potential to go viral and become as big as Skype. Any tech company would love to have that.

Cars, Nuclear Plants etc.
    5. QNX gives them entry to those (growing) market! This may not be worth a lot of revenue right now but these markets are growing.

Patents / Legal Wars -
    6.It seems like Samsung is constantly fighting patent law suits. BlackBerry's patents will make them very strong from legal standpoint.

Marketing dollars -
    7. One of the reason we don't see BlackBerry going all-out crazy with marketing is simply because they want to preserve their cash. If they spend a $500M in marketing and don't immeditately gain it back, their share value will be further eroded. So, they are in a very tough situation. Dipping into existing cash reserve (for marketing) without guaranteed returns (in the very short term) is risky for them. But Samsung has huge cash reserves. They can acquire BlackBerry and spend a BILLION dollar from BlackBerry's own cash-reserve and launch incredibly huge marketing campaign.

----
    I think (for similar reasons), Lenovo also makes sense as a potential partner.
    I think Samsung would make an offer. Because -

1. They own most components that go inside a smartphone. From cpu to memory. They can produce devices very cheaply and yet make profit.

2. Their Tizen OS is unlikely to gain traction. With acquisition or partnership with BlackBerry, they can get a headstart; and reduce their reliance on Android. Not only that, but QNX/BlackBerry 10 is (from what I have heard) far superior to Tizen and already has very many apps. Samsung can easily kill Tizen and replace it with (almost mature) BlackBerry 10 OS.

3. This gives them entry into many govt and security concious customers.

4. With Samsung's money/marketing and existing relationships with carrier partners, they can push sales of Samsung-Berry devices easily. They were very effective in countering Apple iPhone ads.

Posted via CB 10 app on my Q10!
    01-15-15 01:00 AM
    BB 2015.01.15 4:50 AM ET*

BB Germany*
    6.61 to 10.95 USA, *+14%+
    48,000 shares
    BLACKBERRY LTD (RI1:Frankfurt): Stock Quote & Company Profile - Businessweek

BBRY USA
    10.60 to 10.80 USA = 12.69 to 12.93 CDN
    26,000 shares
    After hours close was 10.78
    BlackBerry Limited (BBRY) Pre-Market Trading - NASDAQ.com
    Currency Calculator (US Dollar, Canadian Dollar) - X-Rates

Rest assured there will be massive short covering when the stock markets open at 9:30 AM ET.*

Lots of red in the indices overseas and futures markets*World Markets For Mobile | Financial Quotes

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2015-0...-proposal.html

Here's Why Samsung Would Want to Buy BlackBerry http://www.businessweek.com/articles...?alcmpid=gtech
    Last edited by Highlander01; 01-15-15 at 05:11 AM.
    01-15-15 04:04 AM
    Perhaps shorts will be more calm now; well for a couple of days

Hopefully I wasn't in yesterday night (France), and I just saw the reports and stock this morning. That's better for my old heart
    3MIKE, bspence87 and bungaboy like this.
    01-15-15 04:05 AM
    I think this was the only place that received the Classic in India so far?

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-img_20150115_023955.png

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/blac...ssic/703728648

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR, rarsen, jxnb and 4 others like this.
    01-15-15 04:40 AM
    I'm in the "signal" period, for several reasons.
    What I remind from yesterday's rollercoaster is that the $11-14 valuation is highly plausible for most.
    And that'll be enough to make my day.

Stay clear from tricks, you all saw how fast it was yesterday. We (the tiny ones) can be crushed in no time.
    GL to all.
    rarsen, bungaboy, bbjdog and 4 others like this.
    01-15-15 05:19 AM
    Perhaps shorts will be more calm now; well for a couple of days

Hopefully I wasn't in yesterday night (France), and I just saw the reports and stock this morning. That's better for my old heart
    wooaat ? Another old Frenchie aboard ? Welcome Christophe !
    01-15-15 05:20 AM
    I called it way way way back in 2013! Quoting my posts from April 2013!!!
    Sorry to burst your bubble but you were wrong then and now. Samsung is not interested in BB10. They can neither use the OS for itself nor manufacture phones for it as part of the Google led Open Handset Alliance as the BB runtime is considered an incompatible Android fork.
    The OHA is a group of companies committed to AndroidGoogle's Androidand members are contractually prohibited from building non-Google approved devices. That's right, joining the OHA requires a company to sign its life away and promise to not build a device that runs a competing Android fork.

For OEMs, this means they aren't allowed to slowly transition from Google's Android to a fork. The second they ship one device that runs a competing fork, they are given the kiss of death and booted out of the Android familyit must be a clean break. This, by design, makes switching to forked Android a terrifying prospect to any established Android OEM. You must jump off the Google cliff, and there's no going back.
    01-15-15 05:29 AM
    Sorry to burst your bubble but you were wrong then and now. Samsung is not interested in BB10. They can neither use the OS for itself nor manufacture phones for it as part of the Google led Open Handset Alliance as the BB runtime is considered an incompatible Android fork.
    OHA seems clear, but how come it didn't prevent Samsung from developing and implementing Tizen.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 05:36 AM
    OHA seems clear, but how come it didn't prevent Samsung from developing and implementing Tizen.

Posted via CB10
    Tizen does not ship with Android app compatibility. The user must install it and its kludgy much like early BB runtime.
    01-15-15 05:39 AM
    Tizen does not ship with Android app compatibility. The user must install it and its kludgy much like early BB runtime.
    So, hypothetically, it would be okay if Samsung install BB10 on their phones with Android runtime disabled?

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8 likes this.
    01-15-15 06:00 AM
    Well, there doesn't seem to be any reason Samsung couldn't make phones running BlackBerry 10 that have nothing to do with Android. A Samsung phone running BlackBerry 10 would likely sell better in some markets than a BlackBerry phones running the same. I don't like anything about the idea, but it doesn't seem impossible, though I doubt it.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    01-15-15 06:01 AM
    They ought to drop Tizen and adopt BB10 if that's the case. Let the user install the runtime or whatever needs to be done. Lord knows the Android Runtime on BB10 has come a long way. I'd be surprised if the Tizen Android Runtime works any better than BB10's AR if not worse.

A simple download Android Runtime for BlackBerry 10 from BlackBerry World is....simple.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 06:02 AM
    OR, all of this can be canned and the two can just work out how to own IoT. I don't like this phone talk at all, unless Samsung are willing to make some of the hardware (specs), while leaving them as BlackBerry phones. Anyway, we will have to wait and see.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 06:23 AM
    Ach, not a good day to be short BB, trading pre-market now at $10.90 USA = $12.96 CDN 300k shares, massive short covering will be in play pre-market and at the open. Enjoy!

Bonus, indices and futures are now green http://www.investing.com/

BlackBerry Limited (BBRY) Pre-Market Trading - NASDAQ.com

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-ba-aw029_burnt__g_20110617184556.jpg
    3MIKE likes this.
    01-15-15 06:31 AM
    They ought to drop Tizen and adopt BB10 if that's the case. Let the user install the runtime or whatever needs to be done. Lord knows the Android Runtime on BB10 has come a long way. I'd be surprised if the Tizen Android Runtime works any better than BB10's AR if not worse.

A simple download Android Runtime for BlackBerry 10 from BlackBerry World is....simple.

Posted via CB10
    Samsung is trying to build a platform. They're going to ship Tizen in all their products. So, if a developer wants to sell an app or a game for the Samsung's TVs, they have to develop for Tizen. If a developer wants to target Samsung's smartwatches they have to develop for Tizen.

Besides, Tizen is more efficient than BB10, It can run well in low end hardware, that helps a lot in the race to the bottom of the smartphone market.
    01-15-15 06:53 AM
    Volume is pretty high AH+PM yet we float above the $10.5 mark.
    Seems that this focus on $BBRY may have some interesting side effects for a "out fo the radar for most" stock ...
    Let's see what happend when the bell rings and the famous coffee break at 10:30 ...

For later reference, the past 5 days chart.
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-capture.png
    bungaboy, 3MIKE, rarsen and 4 others like this.
    01-15-15 07:16 AM
    Chen said in an interview recently that a 15 bid is much too low. So he wants more time to show growth which will bring the stock to 20 then he can get a 30 buyout.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 07:16 AM
    And add this to the mix

http://www.financialpost.com/m/wp/ne...ate=2015-01-15

And good idea to get out of the Letter-Number naming thing. Whose bright idea was that?

Posted with my flash Passport
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-15-15 07:17 AM
    Samsung is trying to build a platform. They're going to ship Tizen in all their products. So, if a developer wants to sell an app or a game for the Samsung's TVs, they have to develop for Tizen. If a developer wants to target Samsung's smartwatches they have to develop for Tizen.

Besides, Tizen is more efficient than BB10, It can run well in low end hardware, that helps a lot in the race to the bottom of the smartphone market.
    For the devices you mentioned, BB10 is not involved. QNX + project ion are (provided there's "someone" to build the UIs).
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 01-15-15 at 07:20 AM. Reason: added project ion + Mhhhooos
    bungaboy and rarsen like this.
    01-15-15 07:17 AM
106,783 ... 31313132313331343135 ...