1110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

694 62.52%
  • No

416 37.48%
    You know John Chen is sat up in his office right now like
    Attachment 327377
    He just gave shorts a taste of their own rumor medicine. cheers
    ZayDub, gvs1341, bungaboy and 6 others like this.
    01-14-15 04:41 PM
    thank goodness i sold, day traders rule

BlackBerry (BBRY) Not in Talks with Samsung
    Great!!!

(At least for the users not liking the idea of Galaxy  devices, or worse)

CB10 @ Q5
    01-14-15 04:43 PM
    I for one am happy there not selling for 13-15, I was hoping to cash out in the 30's in a couple years time

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 04:43 PM
    Some Shorts/Haters/Trashers doing "The Dance" maybe?

Yes I am!!

Z10
    bbjdog likes this.
    01-14-15 04:44 PM
    Beer Thirsty!!
    Having one right now cheers everybody !!

Z10
    01-14-15 04:44 PM
    Lol so now we are at the same price when the markets opened the day after new years, nothing to celebrate here

Posted via CB10
    ZayDub likes this.
    01-14-15 04:46 PM
    I would have hoped BlackBerry would refute the story in the morning. Down 14% AH now.
    bbjdog likes this.
    01-14-15 04:46 PM
    I hope that scared the shorts even if it was just a rumor !

Z10
    01-14-15 04:48 PM
    Wow that was strange. Who made out big on that.

Was about to post the whole thing didnt add up. It would've ended the hardware business and knocked the service business off balance. The debenture holders would need to be in agreement. The patents have never been valued high enough for this to make sense.

And the offer was less than Watsa break even. And he controls the debentures as well for the most part.

Get 3B cash, which they dont need. Pay out the debentures or maybe not. Cripple hardware and service business. All to get a patent portfolio.!!!

Hoping some of the lift persists

Coincidently my break even SP is similar to Watsa. Still in for the long haul

Posted with my flash Passport
    Lol! Glad I sold off 75% of my holdings! Tomorrow will be a great time to back up the truck and reload!

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Passport
    Shanerredflag and StormieTwo like this.
    M8, my first request to you. What does your buddy Prem thinks about this, pop on rumor and then settle back down, or is this the beginning of a sustainable rally? I am torn on what to do tomorrow (sell and buy back on dips or hold), so I would like to hear your opinion on this, if you don't mind.
    Thanks man.
    Hi plasmid_boy !!

So I was reading all of the comments, and wasn't going to say anything but I feel I should make some observations before everyone goes to far here.

Prem Watsa holds about 93 MM shares at an average price of $ 13.50/shr today. He got there by owning the stock too high at $ 17.68/shr for 52 MM shares, but added to his position below $ 8.00/shr and of course he holds 50 MM shares at $ 10.00 via the bond issue. When you remove his loss on the 9 MM that he sold at $ 10.60/shr, you then add in the $ 70 MM in interest from those bonds and when the dust clears, he is in this for $ 13.50/shr ... not anything higher. He wouldn't be interested in selling out below at least $ 17.00/shr in my mind but I do think he would like to move on.

John Chen has options for 8.5 MM shares at $ 8.85/shr, I believe, you can look that up but I think we're close there. He is going to make a ton of money and add to his resume big time if the company is sold for $ 17.00/shr. The parts of the whole are probably worth that to some companies too so that number is one that I like right now.

When a company makes an offer, they can just start talks with the other party or they can start a purchase program and at anything over 9.9% ownership, they have to declare their interest in the purchase. Samsung has done none of this as we haven't had the kind of volume or run-up in the stock price that suggests they are going after the company. It is far more powerful if a company has to declare it holds greater than 10% of another company, obviously, they have a vested interest in that company and stand to lose money like the rest of us.

What we are seeing today then is some news that Samsung has talked to BlackBerry about a possible offer. What we don't know is the date of that talk, did it occur prior to them signing a deal with BlackBerry for security? If that is the case, this rumour is not going to last. The end result of those talks might just be what they are partnered to do today.

I don't think that John Chen, Watsa or any other BB investors want to close the books on BB just yet. If they get it right in the next 4 years, the stock will be worth many times what Samsung would be willing to pay today. So on that note, and the fact that the stock hit my target of the top of my channel on this run, I would be inclined to sell some call options, take a bit off the table and in any case watch what is said in AH and prior to when the market opens tomorrow.

The best news is a formal offer, that didn't happen, the next best thing is purchases of common voting stock in the open market and then declaring an interest in the company. We didn't see either of those two things today. So do be careful, the shorts are in a world of hurt so buy them a coffee tomorrow and watch every moment of the news and the stock itself to see what others are thinking. I would definitely not purchase stock at these levels.

Best of luck to all, you investors deserve a break like this!

Update: Looks like the company has spoken. Let's see how far we drop back as those shorts must have been covering.
    01-14-15 04:50 PM
  12. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    the shorts will be working the rumour mill in their favor tonight .. "oh no such offer .. old news etc... rumour denied by Blackberry" etc ....

SA articles in 3.2.1..... so predictable they are ..
    01-14-15 04:53 PM
    Thank you M+8. I fully agree with you. I held portion of my position just in case something actual gets confirmed. Cheers!

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Passport
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    01-14-15 04:55 PM
    I see samsungs interest in not just patents but mainly in QNX/IoT. They're going to be the king of connected devices around your home: fridge, tv, washer/dryers, etc. They want BB to be the link that connects them all.

Imagine consumer BES12 for your home to manage all your connected devices.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 04:58 PM
    It's interesting listening to the different opinions regarding this story. Are most of us here just for the money, or will you be disappointed if you make some money, but see BlackBerry erased from the map as a result? I'm not making any judgements - just asking.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 04:58 PM
    Haha...okay, okay...that was funny. Next thing you know Sammy will make the bid anyways. This one was brought in by major media, not your typical pump (ho) house pre-expiry antics

Posted via CB10
    sidhuk, bbjdog, bungaboy and 2 others like this.
    01-14-15 04:59 PM
    With the company coming out and declaring there were no discussions with Samsung, you have to think we would be trading back at $ 9.40/shr so the AH pricing isn't that bad at all. It would be a huge win if we can hold onto any gains made today under these conditions. Interesting indeed.
    01-14-15 05:00 PM
    I'll say it now, Samsung should just sign off on using QNX/IoT for all of their devices courtesy of BlackBerry and let BlackBerry rake the money in.
    01-14-15 05:02 PM
    FWIW, the timing from the story on when they potentially met.

"Executives from the two companies, which are working with advisers, met last week to discuss a potential transaction, the source said, asking not to be identified because the conversations are private."
    01-14-15 05:03 PM
    Omg....LOL

BlackBerry Responds to Media Report

"WATERLOO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Jan 14, 2015) - BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ:BBRY)(TSX:BB) ("BlackBerry") is aware of certain press reports published today with respect to a possible offer by Samsung to purchase BlackBerry. BlackBerry has not engaged in discussions with Samsung with respect to any possible offer to purchase BlackBerry. BlackBerry's policy is not to comment on rumors or speculation, and accordingly it does not intend to comment further."
    If the policy is not to comment on rumors, why did they feel the need to come out to deny the romor?!
    ZayDub, iamagod, CDM76 and 1 others like this.
    01-14-15 05:03 PM
    If the policy is not to comment on rumors, why did they feel the need to come out to deny the romor?!
    Exactly what I was thinking...

Tour 9630 > Bold 9650 > Q10 > Classic or Passport???
    01-14-15 05:05 PM
  22. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    its only natural that they (Blackberry) will deny such discussions .. while privately .. a different story unfolds ...
    Andy_bb_king, rarsen and Mr BBRY like this.
    01-14-15 05:05 PM
    01-14-15 05:06 PM
    It's interesting listening to the different opinions regarding this story. Are most of us here just for the money, or will you be disappointed if you make some money, but see BlackBerry erased from the map as a result? I'm not making any judgements - just asking.

Posted via CB10
    I'm in this to make money but want to see BlackBerry recover and become a driving force in the technology world (again). They are still the no. 2 spender on research and development $ in Canada and I for one want to see that maintained or grow. A full purchase by Samsung would not be in the best interests of Canadians. Perhaps a partial purchase by Samsung or a strengthened partnership would be the best outcome for all parties.

Sent from my awesome Z30
    01-14-15 05:10 PM
    The takeover rumors would likely be seriously damaging to a number of Blackberry's businesses.

A large number of Crackberry forumers already predict the discontinuing of BB10 under Samsung.
    jxnb likes this.
    01-14-15 05:11 PM
107,106 ... 31273128312931303131 ...