View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    OT: mini rant of sort

In today's news ( or lack of ), assuming you don't know anything about these two companies, who do you think is or should be valued at $40 Billion here.

1. Car sharing taxi ride company ( of course with better experience )

Or

2. Genome at the tip of your fingertips available instantly , which btw could revolutionize patient treatment of various illnesses of hundreds of millions of people around the globe. This courtesy of a secure smartphone.

Financial irony ??.... I know i know, it's all about making money. There are tons of synergy involved, etc.etc. Perhaps Uber is better positioned to make gazillions of $ now. Yeah that maybe true but they're pissing off a lot of small time cabbies.

rant over!
    Last edited by La Emperor; 12-07-14 at 10:37 AM.
    12-04-14 04:20 PM
    OT: mini rant of sort

In today's news ( or lack of ), assuming you don't know anything about these two company, who do you think is or should be valued at $40 Billion here.

1. Car sharing taxi ride company ( of course with better experience )

Or

2. Genome at the tip of your fingertips available instantly , which btw could revolutionize patient treatment of various illnesses of hundreds of millions of people around the globe. This courtesy of a secure smartphone.

Financial irony ??.... I know i know, it's all about making money. There are tons of synergy involved, etc.etc. Perhaps Uber is better positioned to make gazillions of $ now. Yeah that maybe true but they're pissing off a lot of small time cabbies.

rant over!
    Well speaking as a medical person

Neither are worth that much

Uber practical useful fun to use

Genome on a phone. Pointless. Not useful. Pie in the sky. I don't need to or want to see a genome to do my job. Knowledge of the genomes relationship to most diseases is near nil and utility in finding treatments much less than that. We are very far from this being of any use to most people. Not sure this billionaire doc is much more than a great promoter and his web of companies seems pretty foggy. Might be smart for Blackberry to stick a toe in that pond but so far medical informatics has been all hat no cattle.

But a ride using Uber might be nice and is used.

Don't let gene be a magic word like solar

Posted with my flash Passport
    laketrout73 likes this.
    12-04-14 05:01 PM
    If you say so Ken. You're the expert.

No fan of Uber here as I like train rides, so I'm biased...
    Last edited by La Emperor; 12-05-14 at 08:54 AM.
    12-04-14 05:23 PM
    Ken, you're fine upstanding fellow, but I don't want you to be my doctor. I want my doctor to use any and all data/technology they have at their disposal, and it seems to me that being able to pull up my genome (or X-ray or MRI or chart or whatever) on the Passport's high-resolution display wherever they may be would be useful. Nothing against Uber. I use it once in a while, but it's unlikely to save my life.
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    12-04-14 05:51 PM
    BES12 has been downloaded over 5million times for Android.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20141204_184503.png

In contrast, mobile iron has only been downloaded between 500 000 and 1 million times.
    12-04-14 05:53 PM
    Guys sorry I've been meaning to comment on this all day but I've had this darn thing called work...in any case here is what happened.

This interview was taped, as guessed by others, months ago for a new once a week show called "Studio 1.0" that Emily Chang started only on/about Sept 29th and airs a new one once a week. The premise is they get a lot of Silicon Valley Tech folks to come through their area - the very first show was Reid Hoffman of Linkedin more to come. I have been watching this trailer on the daily Bloomberg feed for some time and wondered when they would finally get to airing the Chen interview

Bloomberg's 'Studio 1.0' With Emily Chang: Promo - Businessweek

The questions asked were appropriate to the time (back in July) and they released some of this back then as a tease saying more would come when the new show Studio 1.0 was released. I believe they put quite a few of these "in the can" for future release as these folks pass through their studios.
    There was no guessing to it. Corbu posted the link on July 28th.

Not one of the published articles did I see any reference that the news was over 4 months old.

I'll stick to my version, thanks.
    Corbu, cjcampbell, rarsen and 4 others like this.
    12-04-14 06:39 PM
    Not a fan of personalized medicine, eh?

I'm curious to see what the app looks like and whether a lot of what it does can be done just by using existing web sites.

Well speaking as a medical person

Neither are worth that much

Uber practical useful fun to use

Genome on a phone. Pointless. Not useful. Pie in the sky. I don't need to or want to see a genome to do my job. Knowledge of the genomes relationship to most diseases is near nil and utility in finding treatments much less than that. We are very far from this being of any use to most people. Not sure this billionaire doc is much more than a great promoter and his web of companies seems pretty foggy. Might be smart for Blackberry to stick a toe in that pond but so far medical informatics has been all hat no cattle.

But a ride using Uber might be nice and is used.

Don't let gene be a magic word like solar

12-04-14 06:41 PM
    Is someone toying with the SP in AH trading? Or did bungaboy's post #75314 just go viral?

Attachment 318751
    I fixed it. LoL

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-nasdaq-dec-4-2014.jpg
    lech31, sidhuk, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    12-04-14 06:54 PM
    White Passport sold out on Canadian Shop Blackberry site!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-whitepassport.png
    12-04-14 07:01 PM
    OT, but relevant.. we support and use Blackberry because of its security, but what are we doing to be secure?? Myself as an example.. I knew Home Depot has been hacked and has serious security issues besides switching to the iPhone as their commo medium. This last weekend while not thinking, I made a purchase at Home Depot with my debit card. Three days later my card was compromised and now I'm waiting for a new card to be mailed to me and do not have access to my money in that bank. Luckily I have several accounts plus cash under the mattress ( careful, I'm a redneck and have guns and ammo). Bottom line is.. even though we use a great device we can make mistakes ourselves. I won't use a card at Home Depot again.

Sent using my Q10!
    12-04-14 08:58 PM
    I feel your pain. Glad this time it was another griping about this true statement.

I settled my frustrations by calling it a common 'buying oportunity'.
    12-04-14 09:07 PM
    Kinda OT, but if we're doing the cyclical thing hopefully bb phones are next...

Flip Phones Are The Newest Fashion 'It Item' | StyleBlazer
    Mr BBRY and bungaboy like this.
    12-04-14 09:20 PM
    @ baconmunchers... it's never the device or software alone... we as users and developers are ultimately responsible. I made a stupid and careless mistake and would never throw that mishap on the device I use or their software. We as individuals are ultimately responsible for our situation. I'm just happy that we have this venue to share our experiences in the hopes it helps others. This is an awesome forum and I really feel the founder (SuperFly) should receive some sort of international recognition.

Sent using my Q10!
    12-04-14 09:44 PM
    So I decided to look into the other MDM companies purely on Android downloads. Here are the findings:

BES12 - 5 million +
    Mobile Iron - 500k+
    Airwatch - 500k +
    Good - 1 million +
    Amtel - 5k +
    Dell EMM - 500+
    Citrix - 5 million +

Considering BES12 has only been available for a month, I would say the uptake has been nothing but remarkable. Citrix is notable but nothing surprising there as their client has been available for years. BES12 numbers started on Nov 13. One month download rate of over 5million brings a smile to my face.
    sidhuk, INTz, morganplus8 and 16 others like this.
    12-04-14 10:36 PM
    I can't even count the number of times over the last 2 years I have said Blackberry is a software company with phones and not a phone company with software. There will be a day when all companies reach out for better security and the best offer will be Blackberry. Hold on to what you have gang, your day will come.

Sent using my Q10!
    12-04-14 11:02 PM
    Ken, you're fine upstanding fellow, but I don't want you to be my doctor. I want my doctor to use any and all data/technology they have at their disposal, and it seems to me that being able to pull up my genome (or X-ray or MRI or chart or whatever) on the Passport's high-resolution display wherever they may be would be useful. Nothing against Uber. I use it once in a while, but it's unlikely to save my life.
    But gogo you actually dont want that. You want the right amount of the right tests. A bad doc orders everything which compounds the chances of errors. One day our genomes will tell us a lot but not soon. We are still earning how to properly use imaging tech.

Its cool conceptually but nobody really knows how to use it yet.

12-04-14 11:40 PM
    Actually a quick drive to an ER is more likely to save you life thane having a copy of your genome in you pocket.

12-04-14 11:44 PM
    So I decided to look into the other MDM companies purely on Android downloads. Here are the findings:

BES12 - 5 million +
    Mobile Iron - 500k+
    Airwatch - 500k +
    Good - 1 million +
    Amtel - 5k +
    Dell EMM - 500+
    Citrix - 5 million +

Considering BES12 has only been available for a month, I would say the uptake has been nothing but remarkable. Citrix is notable but nothing surprising there as their client has been available for years. BES12 numbers started on Nov 13. One month download rate of over 5million brings a smile to my face.
    Citrix ... where you looking at Citrix's MDM solution or Citrix Receiver?
    12-05-14 12:30 AM
    But gogo you actually dont want that. You want the right amount of the right tests. A bad doc orders everything which compounds the chances of errors. One day our genomes will tell us a lot but not soon. We are still earning how to properly use imaging tech.

I'm curious ...

So how do doctors know at birth I'm a carrier but not afflicted with Sickle-cell anemia and yet know it ONLY affects Black people?! Would you think the genome causing this could be cured amongst many other diseases and genetic setbacks for millions of people? I'd think knowing the root cause of something aids in finding a cure for it and less medications to deal with the symptoms and issue once known vs NOT knowing?

Of course what do I know, honestly I don't so I'm curious.
    12-05-14 12:39 AM
    Something a little more qnx & IoT related

"Car Insurers Promise Discounts to Monitor Your Driving" - Car Insurers Promise Discounts to Monitor Your Driving - Bloomberg

I honestly think that smart watches are next with health insurance company's with HMO being affected. Be very careful stating illnesses or addictions (smoking) in your health apps and emails.

BlackBerry - Accept no substitute. Period!
    I figured a light follow-up to my perception of this ...

NFC AND APPLE PAY

Apple Watch includes support for NFC, which allows it to integrate with Apple's new mobile payment initiative, Apple Pay. According to Apple, the watch will be able to be used to make payments at retailers that accept Apple Pay.

The built-in heart rate monitor will be used to ensure secure payments through skin contact. When the Apple Watch is first put on the wrist, a user enters a PIN code to authorize Apple Pay. After that point, the watch monitors skin contact and if removed from a wrist (in the event of a theft, for example) the device is no longer able to make payments until the PIN is reentered.
    Source: Apple Watch: Everything We Know | MacRumors

What is there to say Apple changes this in the near future to subsitute PIN ('pins are insecure, think how we revolutionized credit card payments' we're now replacing for) heart rate rhythms ... from calm to slightly excited as some do with certain purchases and festive times of the year (Christmas, Chanukkah - very sorry this is mispelled everyone, honestly I've seen this spelled 3 ways and I just don't know which is correct).

But honestly ... this is the VERY FIRST device to even come close to processing a wireless payment aside from our phones ... and with Force Touch ... Crystal Display on the eye end models ... VERY appealing from a technological standpoint but honestly VERY scary!
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    12-05-14 01:03 AM

BES12 - 5 million +
    Mobile Iron - 500k+
    Airwatch - 500k +
    Good - 1 million +
    Amtel - 5k +
    Dell EMM - 500+
    Citrix - 5 million +

BES12 on Google Play was previously BES10. Most reviews, download numbers,... come from BES10 downloads. I check this on a daily basis. The number has been 5-10 million for many months now

Posted via CB10
    12-05-14 02:04 AM
    12-05-14 05:12 AM

You do want that under certain circumstances, such as cystic fibrosis and various cancers consisting of specific genetic mutations that respond to specific drugs. Personalized medicine is becoming a fashion now, but I am not sure how far that will go.

Posted via CB10
    rarsen, sidhuk and La Emperor like this.
    12-05-14 06:11 AM
    I'm curious ...

So how do doctors know at birth I'm a carrier but not afflicted with Sickle-cell anemia and yet know it ONLY affects Black people?! Would you think the genome causing this could be cured amongst many other diseases and genetic setbacks for millions of people? I'd think knowing the root cause of something aids in finding a cure for it and less medications to deal with the symptoms and issue once known vs NOT knowing?

knowing the genomic mutation causing the disease doesn't immediately suggest a treatment strategy. And from a biochemical perspective, that is not the root cause of the disease. The root cause would be the dysfunction of the protein that is derived from that mutated gene (that is why you can have a sickle-cell mutation in your gene, but do not have the disease because the other copy of your gene is producing a functional protein). A treatment would constitute restoring protein function or inhibiting it's toxic effects. Hope this helps.

Posted via CB10
    cjcampbell, Mr BBRY, jxnb and 6 others like this.
    12-05-14 06:30 AM
    I'm curious ...

Very OT but your question includes all of the problems with this idea of the genome. Firstly. Yes you can diagnose an inheriteted disease without. Knowing your genome like you can walk to school as a child without GPS. Also only some gene mutations cause problems most do not. Also some mutations might confer advantages that we don't know about. It seems a single sickle cell gene provides some malaria resistance but two causes disease. Its not clear that getting rid of all "bad" genes is a good idea. And how to do that?

In any event most disease is not genetic so effort might be better spent elsewhere.

Here's a potential area though. Cholesterol and heart disease. Now we treat about 1000 people to prevent 5-10 heart attacks. Perhaps the genome can focus treatment and help us find those who really need it. Big Pharma won't like it though. Keep in mind as soon as this is known the insurance companies will know it too.

Bon fin du semain

Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    12-05-14 07:19 AM
113,256 ... 30103011301230133014 ...