View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

693 62.66%
  • No

413 37.34%
    A good Saturday morning read IMO
    Work Wide, On Your Desktop? http://utbblogs.com/media/work-wide-on-your-desktop/

Posted using BlackBerry passport.
    11-22-14 09:35 AM
    Think it's three weeks late as I ordered two additional Passports back then lol.

Passport'n stuff all day long.
    Try it!

"Great news for people that paid $299 for the z30. I called in and they will give a refund for the difference. They will escalate it to the refund department and it will get processed within 24 hrs. I asked the rep for an e-mail to confirm our conversation just in case. I put the order in on Nov 6."

[ShopBlackBerry] Discounts on select new unlocked Blackberry phones *Up to 55% - Page 49 - RedFlagDeals.com Forums
    Corbu, bbjdog, sidhuk and 5 others like this.
    11-22-14 09:47 AM
    OT: Nice read for a Saturday morning. Nothing that most people here do not already know, but may benefit the newcomers. Describe GM's new approach on the connected car ( very similar to Ford's ). Talks about what Google and Apple can and cannot do. The underlying message is Onstar would be the central focus of development from GM's perspective. It would be deeply integrated into the car system's health status. It would be performing complex sets of tasks the other OSes can't.

Chen describes this briefly during Investor's day. He didn't say whose cars though. But we already know who is powering up Onstar...

Anyway, I like this scenario. For the lifetime of the car, GM can package this service in the overall pricing. Big data, secure connectivity, software upgrades, analytics, etc.etc. Of course data plans are extra. They need to keep the carriers happy. :-)

The snippet below. A bit long but the main gist is here. BTW, the interviewee here is Mary Chan, GM's President of Global Connected Consumer.

"We always knew GM was going to use Android Auto and CarPlay in some form to buff up the content in its Chevy MyLink, Cadillac Cue and Buick/GMC IntelliLink systems. But the strategy Chan describes goes much further. With some exceptions, GM is basically handing over development of any app that isn’t directly tied to the vehicle’s core driving capabilities over to Apple and Google.

Take audio streaming apps, for instance. There are hundreds of apps delivering music, talk radio, podcasts, audio books and any other conceivable type of audio content. To bring all of those apps to every car’s infotainment system would be a nightmare for both developers and automakers, requiring direct integration and optimization of each individual app into dozens of different operating systems.

Those apps, however, are already in Google Play and the iTunes store, and since they require very little of the car’s hardware resources to function — basically the display and audio speakers — only a few development tweaks would be necessary to optimize them for potentially hundreds of vehicle makes and models using CarPlay or Android Auto. And since they would run on the phone and use its radios for internet connectivity, customers could use them without subscribing to a separate connected car data plan.

“Those types of applications are great applications to be brought into the car with the smartphone,” Chan said. “The types of apps we want to focus on are the ones that require a much deeper integration with the vehicle.”

Those apps are the services that need to delve into GM’s connected car APIs, accessing engine data, taking readings for the car’s growing bevy of sensors or tapping into its telematics systems. GM’s OnStar Remote Link is a perfect example: it tracks the health of the car, monitors fuel or battery levels and supports features like remote door unlock and engine start from a smartphone. CarPlay and Android Auto’s limited integration with the car means it can’t perform those complex tasks. "

https://gigaom.com/2014/09/11/gm-mak...le-and-google/
    11-22-14 11:04 AM
    CarPlay and Android Auto’s limited integration with the car means it can’t perform those complex tasks. "[/HL]
    I'm sure that the this will be true at first. How difficult will it be, eventually, to allow users to access these functions via their mobile devices? How about fleet or rental vehicles? Do you really think that you will always need to be sitting in the car in order to access this data?

I'm sure the auto industry still wants to keep the nav, media, and connectivity services on the dashboard and sell the services, however, they are already caving into consumer's desire for CarPlay and Android Auto. If and when consumers decide they want mobile access to these other services, it's only a matter of time before whatever appears on your dash unit will be available on your mobile screen. I'm sure there's plenty of technology that will go into the vehicle sensors but there's absolutely no reason the data needs to stop at the dash unit. It'll probably just require an app to show up the screen interface of CarPlay or Android Auto.
    mornhavon likes this.
    11-22-14 11:23 AM
    I'm sure that the this will be true at first. How difficult will it be, eventually, to allow users to access these functions via their mobile devices? How about fleet or rental vehicles? Do you really think that you will always need to be sitting in the car in order to access this data?

I'm sure the auto industry still wants to keep the nav, media, and connectivity services on the dashboard and sell the services, however, they are already caving into consumer's desire for CarPlay and Android Auto. If and when consumers decide they want mobile access to these other services, it's only a matter of time before whatever appears on your dash unit will be available on your mobile screen. I'm sure there's plenty of technology that will go into the vehicle sensors but there's absolutely no reason the data needs to stop at the dash unit. It'll probably just require an app to show up the screen interface of CarPlay or Android Auto.
    But for now it's not. Lets see what happens. Besides I can't answer you. The quote you replied to was from the article. I have limited idea on this.
    11-22-14 11:40 AM
    Why are we reading material about Car play and Android auto? We all know that they are partners with QNX.
    Here is a good quote from an article.

"A key to maintaining the lead is QNX’s track record in running safety systems, crucial in situations where a software freeze could mean a car accident."

The thought of me connecting my cell phone to my cars OS makes me sweat. What I really want is what this video clip will show you.

QNX in Action: Audi FPK Driver Information Display - YouTube
    Corbu, bungaboy, CDM76 and 2 others like this.
    11-22-14 12:23 PM
    What I really want is what this video clip will show you.

QNX in Action: Audi FPK Driver Information Display - YouTube
    Agreed! Already available in the 2015 TTS, if I am not mistaken... Goodness starts around 1:30...

11-22-14 01:10 PM
    That's what I want to see...awesome display with real functionality...

cjcampbell, Corbu, bbjdog and 4 others like this.
    11-22-14 01:14 PM
    Okay now I can go back to sleep and dream of the Audi TT and its partnership with QNX!
    Corbu, bungaboy, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    11-22-14 01:55 PM

The thought of me connecting my cell phone to my cars OS makes me sweat. What I really want is what this video clip will show you.
    Maybe I'm just paranoid but I don't even want my car connected to the Internet. Fears of hacking my car are foremost on my mind when people mention connected vehicles.

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, rarsen, Corbu and 2 others like this.
    11-22-14 02:27 PM
    Maybe I'm just paranoid but I don't even want my car connected to the Internet. Fears of hacking my car are foremost on my mind when people mention connected vehicles.

Posted via CB10
    I agree with you 100%, but that's why I trust Blackberry and QNX. That's the space John Chen is focusing on (IOT/Ion).
    Blackberry/QNX must lead in this space, make right acquisition which they have done, and they must continue. Security plays a big part in my consumer behavior.
    11-22-14 02:55 PM
    Just ordered my passport. Couldn't resist the black Friday deals!

So excited!

Posted via CB10
    11-22-14 05:14 PM
    I agree with you 100%, but that's why I trust Blackberry and QNX. That's the space John Chen is focusing on (IOT/Ion).
    Blackberry/QNX must lead in this space, make right acquisition which they have done, and they must continue. Security plays a big part in my consumer behavior.
    Agreed about trusting BlackBerry and QNX but even they are only as strong as their weakest link. So if Apple or Google is supplying the overlaying software and it is that software that manages the connection to Internet well my trust is zilch ......

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag, bungaboy and bbjdog like this.
    11-22-14 08:36 PM
    Good article from PhoneDog

http://www.phonedog.com/2014/11/22/b...blackberry-yet

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag, rarsen and bungaboy like this.
    11-23-14 01:23 AM
    Yes!
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-img_20141123_142537.png
    rarsen, bbjdog, bungaboy and 9 others like this.
    11-23-14 07:26 AM
    I've started the streaming some minutes ago and that's the first image I saw ;-)
    Mr BBRY likes this.
    11-23-14 07:28 AM
    Agreed about trusting BlackBerry and QNX but even they are only as strong as their weakest link. So if Apple or Google is supplying the overlaying software and it is that software that manages the connection to Internet well my trust is zilch ......

Posted via CB10
    What are the potential of a sim card with two numbers and the company called Secusmart?
    11-23-14 09:10 AM
    What are the potential of a sim card with two numbers and the company called Secusmart?
    In enterprise strong I think, it's certainly a unique option. I was playing in sim settings last night, a duel sim enables ability to smart tag some things too...I suppose that could be door access controllers or just about anything else which requires authentication.

CDM76, Mr BBRY, bbjdog and 1 others like this.
    11-23-14 09:22 AM
    OT: this is a part of the interview with Lewis Hamilton on Inside blackberry.

Halliwell:Any last messages for #TeamBlackBerry and all the Inside BlackBerry readers out there?

Hamilton: "I would like to say to BlackBerry, I know you?ve have had some tough times over the last few years, and I admire how you keep going and keep pushing, striving to do better and never giving up. We?re all seeing the results of that and I respect how you?re going about it."

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 09:56 AM
    Let's Mr Chen renew the contract with Mercedes NOW!!
    11-23-14 10:16 AM
    A different level of BlackBerry Balance for BES customers comes to mind. Truly two phones in one. I'd be interested of someone with better technical understanding could elaborate or counter...

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    11-23-14 10:45 AM
    Let's Mr Chen renew the contract with Mercedes NOW!!
    BlackBerry did get great exposure with team Mercedes. I'm also assuming they received great feedback from this partnership. Unless major changes happen at Formula 1, in regards to car design and components, Mercedes should dominant again.

Posted via CB10
    smart548 and Superfly_FR like this.
    11-23-14 12:25 PM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-_79213183_459455140.jpgThe BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-_79213981_lewishamilton.jpg

bbjdog, rarsen, bungaboy and 5 others like this.
    11-23-14 02:02 PM
    11-23-14 02:07 PM
    Hello everyone. Thought I'd drop in and say hello before the football games begin.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 02:11 PM
105,637 ... 29922993299429952996 ...