<a href="http://bbmobile.me/CBKEY2BLtopic?utm_source=cb&amp;utm_medium=topicblock&amp;utm_campaign=navigation" target="_blank">Shop BlackBerry KEY2</a>

View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

693 62.60%
  • No

414 37.40%
    OT: European Parliament preparing to call for Google breakup

European Parliament preparing to call for Google breakup - The Globe and Mail

The European Parliament is preparing to call for a break-up of Google Inc. that would separate its search services from its other businesses, the Financial Times on Friday cited a draft motion as saying.

European regulators are increasingly concerned about Google’s and other American companies’ growing dominance of the Internet industry, and have sought ways to curb Google’s perceived power. A public call for a breakup would be the most far-reaching action proposed.

“Unbundling (of) search engines from other commercial services” should be considered as a solution to Google’s dominance, the FT cited the draft motion as saying.

Parliament lacks the authority to break up corporations, but a public motion will step up the pressure on the European Commission to act.

In November, Europe’s new antitrust chief said she would take some time to decide on the next step of a four-year-long investigation into the Internet search leader, after her predecessor had scrapped a proposed settlement with the company.

European Competition Commissioner Margrethe Vestager, who took over from Joaquin Almunia on Nov. 1, said she would take a representative sample of views from parties involved in the case and check on latest industry developments before taking any action.

Rivals such as Yelp Inc., most of them significantly smaller than Google, argue that the company is squeezing them out in Internet search results.
    11-21-14 03:30 PM
    OT: Was reading this earlier and thought I'd share. GM pushing hard to roll out connected cars. Available now on 2015 fleet models. A snippet from the article and link to the article below the snippet.

"GM’s connected cars will also “phone home” once a month—connect to a GM diagnostic service that reports back to owners on whether the car has any problems or needs maintenance. There’s no extra charge for those services during the first five years of ownership. (GM hasn’t decided what to do after that.) "

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/here-s...212120801.html

And here's something from months ago.

QNX based OnStar will turn your GM car into another device with 4G LTE
    https://www.linkedin.com/groups/QNX-...31251853660162
    GM's New OnStar 4G LTE Wi-Fi Stakes Lead In Connectivity - Forbes

Given the nature of car connectivity turning it into 4G LTE device , being hotspots et al and able to transmit critical info of car status it would not be too far fetch to think that there needs to be some sort of device management that would be able to secure this connectivity to the highest level. Just like BYOD/COPE devices. The info needs to flow from the car back to GM encrypted and fully protected from hackers. Of course for obvious reasons.

This is out of my league but could this be a role for BES 12? We have heard of rumors with Ford awhile back and nothing has transpired.

I remember a year or two ago, ( almost like eternity ) when Heins launched Z10 with BB10 he described a scenario like this. That updates would be happening on cars firmware/software. All you need to do is park your car, download the firmware/software OTA and you're updated. You don't need to do the costly roll of your your car into the service station.

Anyway, just want to hear other peoples thought on this. Maybe we have some experts in house who could give us a better insight.

TIA.
    Last edited by La Emperor; 11-21-14 at 04:14 PM.
    bungaboy, bbjdog, sidhuk and 9 others like this.
    11-21-14 03:33 PM
    OT: Makes me proud to be a Canuck hoser!

(Atta go Leaf's fans! )

11-21-14 05:05 PM
    Go Leafs GO!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-obamaberryleaf.jpg
    11-21-14 05:52 PM
    This is out of my league but could this be a role for BES 12? We have heard of rumors with Ford awhile back and nothing has transpired.

I remember a year or two ago, ( almost like eternity ) when Heins launched Z10 with BB10 he described a scenario like this. That updates would be happening on cars firmware/software. All you need to do is park your car, download the firmware/software OTA and you're updated. You don't need to do the costly roll of your your car into the service station.

Anyway, just want to hear other peoples thought on this. Maybe we have some experts in house who could give us a better insight.
    Hopefully it's still in the works as some sort of yet unannounced Project Ion/BES12 service BlackBerry is working on.

Back in January 2013 just before the BB10 launch, Allpar.com reported that the 2013 Ram 1500 and 2013 SRT Viper were coming equipped with Chrysler's UConnect 2 system. They reported (UConnect Access Via Mobile, dealer-activated nav | Allpar Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep News)

This morning, Chrysler launched a new update to UConnect: UConnect Access Via Mobile. It builds on Chryslers philosophy of sensible connectivity which has been all the more appreciated after Ford and BMW went for feature lists and ended up with harshly criticized (and, in Fords case, buggy) systems. The system is based on QNX, and many programmer interfaces are shared with BlackBerry OS 10; POSIX compliance should also make it easier to port from Android and IOS.

[...]

Chrysler also re-announced the ability to activate a navigation system on a car that was not ordered with one. According to Marios Zenios (Vice President of Uconnect Systems and Services), this is an industry first, a no-customer-left-behind attitude. The move will be especially handy for used-car buyers.
    On a separate write up about UConnect 2, they wrote: (2013-2014 UConnect 2: the next generation)

The UConnect system is now able to get application updates over the air; and owners can download updates or new applications directly, via the 8.4-inch touchscreen. Some buyers can also get their non-navigation UConnect upgraded to include navigation, after they buy the car.
    (Emphasis mine)

All that sounded to me like a BES-related machine-2-machine service that BlackBerry was working on. IIRC, Allpar even had photos of a UConnect screen that had a BB World icon on it.
    11-21-14 06:24 PM
    OT for afterhours from the Related Technologies and Security files, we are definitely exposed to attacks (including backdoors for future) on the major Utilities electricity grid but haven't yet reached sufficient pain levels before serious action is taken:

DHS: Hackers targeted the grid 79 times this year | Utility Dive

http://money.cnn.com/2014/11/18/tech...rgy-grid-hack/

Hackers managed to break into the systems of 37% of the nation's energy companies between April 2013 and 2014, according to a survey from ThreatTrack Security reported by CNN. 2014 State of the Electric Industry survey found that energy company executives and managers list grid cybersecurity near the bottom of their list of major concerns.
    Last edited by rarsen; 11-21-14 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Included the CNN report
    11-21-14 06:39 PM
    Rick Mercer and his Blackberry Bold

Rick at Niagara Falls - Rick Mercer Report - CBC Player
    CDM76, rarsen, bungaboy and 2 others like this.
    11-21-14 08:25 PM
    ShopBlackBerry.com has Passport on sale for $499 and Z30 for $225.
    bungaboy and Soumaila Somtore like this.
    11-21-14 11:46 PM
    ShopBlackBerry.com has Passport on sale for $499 and Z30 for $225.
    Canadian. $599 and $249.

Posted using BlackBerry passport.
    rarsen, bungaboy and La Emperor like this.
    11-22-14 12:07 AM
  10. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Canadian. $599 and $249.

Amazing prices! ... amazing opportunity for those who have not already purchased....

Posted via CB10
    11-22-14 12:15 AM
    Hopefully it's still in the works as some sort of yet unannounced Project Ion/BES12 service BlackBerry is working on.

Back in January 2013 just before the BB10 launch, Allpar.com reported that the 2013 Ram 1500 and 2013 SRT Viper were coming equipped with Chrysler's UConnect 2 system. They reported (UConnect Access Via Mobile, dealer-activated nav | Allpar Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep News)

On a separate write up about UConnect 2, they wrote: (2013-2014 UConnect 2: the next generation)

(Emphasis mine)

All that sounded to me like a BES-related machine-2-machine service that BlackBerry was working on. IIRC, Allpar even had photos of a UConnect screen that had a BB World icon on it.
    The BES 12 press release talks about how the architecture of the software wasn't just expanded to allow for Windows phone and legacy BlackBerry but also includes the ability to manage: industrial equipment, medical devices and automobiles.

"Design for the Internet of Things: BES12 is the first BES platform that will extend beyond smartphones and tablets to support the management of things, including medical diagnostic equipment, industrial machinery and automobiles.
    Read more at http://www.stockhouse.com/news/press-releases/2014/11/13/blackberry-delivers-industry-s-broadest-enterprise-mobility-support-with-bes12#ghrVeHUbVdP7F1Qf.99"

Posted via CB10
    11-22-14 12:56 AM
    OT....Nico P1 Lewis P2 for tomorrow's race.

Passport'n stuff all day long.
    11-22-14 08:02 AM
    OT....Nico P1 Lewis P2 for tomorrow's race.

OT related to the OT:
    The banner near the driver doesn't show 'Blackberry', but 'BlackBerry Passport' ;-)
    11-22-14 08:09 AM
    The BES 12 press release talks about how the architecture of the software wasn't just expanded to allow for Windows phone and legacy BlackBerry but also includes the ability to manage: industrial equipment, medical devices and automobiles.

"Design for the Internet of Things: BES12 is the first BES platform that will extend beyond smartphones and tablets to support the management of things, including medical diagnostic equipment, industrial machinery and automobiles.
    Read more at http://www.stockhouse.com/news/press-releases/2014/11/13/blackberry-delivers-industry-s-broadest-enterprise-mobility-support-with-bes12#ghrVeHUbVdP7F1Qf.99"

Posted via CB10
    BES12 indeed is one of a kind innovation. Market should recognize that fact. There is nothing else out there with those kind of wide capabilities. And sad part is that BlackBerry is not getting a full credit for that in SP as if it was a startup because some brokers working hard to keep SP down. Only weaker hands getting screwed here.

bbjdog, rarsen, bungaboy and 5 others like this.
    11-22-14 08:16 AM
    2:53 minutes

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-rickmercerbbnov21.jpg
    11-22-14 08:17 AM
    Not sure if it will be anything we don't know already but, GM is have the big launch of their platform at CES:
    http://www.cesweb.org/Press/Press-Ev...e-Connect.aspx

11-22-14 08:26 AM
    Some interesting after hours quotes from Warren Buffet:

http://www.fool.ca/special-offer/war...9tabads0060008
    bungaboy, bbjdog, dusdal and 5 others like this.
    11-22-14 08:31 AM
    Hey gang, have you folks read about the special offers for the Blackberry passport? BlackBerry should go worldwide with the promo of offering easy installment payment system on unlocked phone. I keep reading in threads that it's the reason people go with their phone carriers. What do you think about the promo?

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, Corbu, sidhuk and 6 others like this.
    11-22-14 08:34 AM
    11-22-14 08:40 AM
    Hey gang, have you folks read about the special offers for the Blackberry passport? BlackBerry should go worldwide with the promo of offering easy installment payment system on unlocked phone. I keep reading in threads that it's the reason people go with their phone carriers. What do you think about the promo?

Posted via CB10
    Think it's three weeks late as I ordered two additional Passports back then lol.

bungaboy and bbjdog like this.
    11-22-14 08:41 AM
    Think it's three weeks late as I ordered two additional Passports back then lol.

It's also late for me too. They should have introduced it at launch day . But it's never too late, if it can help sales. Can't win.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-14 08:46 AM
    I personally think the Paypal Credit option offered in the US is a very good idea which should be extended to other countries. Don't know whether it is feasible, though.
    11-22-14 08:47 AM
    Nice but...is it just me or is that UI cartoon and kid like? I much prefer other skins we have seen, but the functionality is cool.

bungaboy, bbjdog and La Emperor like this.
    11-22-14 08:48 AM
    Man this app video is impressive. Even Micheal Clewley at his blackberry channel is praising this.
    http://crackberry.com/increase-your-...berry-passport

11-22-14 09:04 AM
    I personally think the Paypal Credit option offered in the US is a very good idea which should be extended to other countries. Don't know whether it is feasible, though.
    That's a good question about feasibility. I'm assuming that they can offer it after the black Friday sale. When the price goes back to normal price. I really don't know the numbers for such a program, maybe someone here can help us.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-14 09:21 AM
106,454 ... 29912992299329942995 ...