1106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

693 62.66%
  • No

413 37.34%
    Oops, ignore.
    09-26-14 11:16 AM
    Oops, ignore.
    Are you in "painting business"? LoL. usualy one coat is enough.
    09-26-14 11:21 AM
    Bummer that Blend creates a windows XP error when I loaded it with my new shiny Passport!
    And no, I refuse to replace my old faithful XP for my work laptop, so I will need a workaround. Lol.
    BTW anyone else notice that the capacitive keyboard does not work with the CB app? That is my only complaint with this phone so far!
    Bold 9900, Z10, Z30, Passport
    Set a virtual Win7 into your XP ?
    It's now really unsafe to run XP. I understand some of your motivations, yet ... it's time for a new laptop !
    09-26-14 11:28 AM
    iPhone 6 vs. BlackBerry Passport: The Difference Is Fascinating

As I write, two iPhone/Apple problems are going viral. The first is now being called Bendgate and Bendghazi. The second doesn’t have a cute name yet; it relates to the latest iOS 8 update, which apparently has broken enough phones that it had to be pulled. This update had been rushed out to fix a group of problems with the initial 8.0 update, but created a different set of more annoying problems. If Apple were an IT company, we’d likely be chatting about how it was going out of business with this foolishness.

Conversely, BlackBerry launched its Passport phone this week with a steel frame, better antenna placement (no antenna gate), better battery life, better security, and a solid feature set focused on business. If I were to say that in a vacuum, in other words to someone who didn’t know Apple was dominant, they’d likely assume that BlackBerry was the market leader. That makes this a very strange market at the moment. Let’s contrast the two vendors’ approaches to the market with a focus on business this week. We are IT Business Edge, after all.

iPhone 6 and 6 Plus

Apple’s focus is on design, ease of use, and having the largest margin the market will bear. Its phones are like the popular person in school that you wanted to marry, then ran into at the reunion only to find they have a record number of marriages under their belt and haven’t aged well.

When you combine the primary goals of being attractive and inexpensive to build, you’ll make some ugly tradeoffs. That is what Apple did with the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. To keep costs down and still have an attractive, light, skinny phone, it had to go all-aluminum, but aluminum isn’t very rigid. The phone, when placed in a back pocket in tight pants, is going to come out looking like the mirror image of your ****. The bigger the phone, the better the image, which is why mostly iPhone 6 Plus folks are complaining at the moment.

And focusing on getting the product out the door on time over getting the product right is what we saw with the latest iOS update. Apple made the date, but the offering wasn’t ready, creating a nasty set of problems for users of Apple products.

To make matters worse, all of this comes at about the same time researchers have showcased that the fingerprint reader on the iPhone 6 can be easily bypassed.

BlackBerry Passport

The BlackBerry Passport is the first product that really showcases BlackBerry’s new business-first strategy. If people want a phone like an iPhone, BlackBerry will wrap that phone with its secure messaging and management products. If they are professionals and want a phone designed for them, BlackBerry will build a phone that meets their unique needs; the software will be fully tested and the phone will be robust. On this last point, because the phone uses Android apps from the Amazon store, many of which haven’t been fully vetted for the BlackBerry platform, folks are reporting some minor problems, but this is far from the catastrophe Apple experienced at the same time.

The phone format is square, like a monitor, and now panoramic, like a movie screen. The frame is stainless steel, focused on strength, not aluminum, which is focused on weight and low cost. The antenna is optimally positioned and the phone is designed around that requirement; it’s not an afterthought that was forced in after the phone’s case was created. It has a physical keyboard with sensors (so you can swipe on it without blocking or smudging your screen) and a 25-hour battery because folks who work want this focus and are willing to give up the weight savings to get it. It is designed to be secure, which makes it a little harder to get into but far safer in use.

It takes time to become proficient with its unique user optimizations, like the dual-mode keyboard that has sensors so you can swipe on it and gain access to special efficiency features. But that also makes it less valuable to steal because it can be easily bricked by the user who owns the phone (or the IT department).

Most users don’t want to spend the time learning new ways of doing what they already do. But professionals will spend the time because they know their time is important and they are willing to spend time learning a specialized tool to get a competitive advantage and maybe give up some of the consumer stuff in exchange.

The BlackBerry is the person you met in school that you should have married because, while they weren’t the most attractive or popular, they were attractive enough and they always had your back.

Wrapping Up: Matching the Tool to the Professional

What BlackBerry is trying to do is create tools that professionals will uniquely want. The Passport is an example of that effort. It doesn’t even try to be an iPhone. Apple will always be better at building those and BlackBerry really isn’t a consumer-focused vendor. The contrast between the Passport and iPhone, particularly with the problems being reported this week, showcases Apple’s focus, and it isn’t on getting work done. The Passport showcases that this is BlackBerry’s focus.

In the end, both products showcase two things: some of the dangers of using a consumer product for business and that this isn’t a one-size-fits-all market. It never really was, despite Apple’s hope that it could convince us otherwise.
    We don't know how much BB is getting for each of those high-end Passports sold .
    Then bendable I phone is costing about $240 +/-.
    Passport has lower volume discount and some odd shaped custom parts and very few royalty payments. IMO it shouldn't cost more than $270 +/-.
    bungaboy likes this.
    Thanks very much Morgan for your take! You deserve a great deal of credit for your accurate predictions... even though you were off by a whole $.03 on your EPS! I was wondering what the heck was happening with the stock in PM this morning, but your explanation regarding the service revenue decline nailed the reason the shorts started to pile on earlier. Either way, I'm very pleased with all other aspects of the quarterly results and I'm glad the stock appears to be heading in the right direction. I think we are perfectly set up to continue the climb through the end of the year. I'm very interested in hearing what you come up with after you have the chance to dive into the results further. Keep us informed.

Side note: Make it 200,001 Passports sold. I ordered mine today on Amazon. I waited to see if Verizon was going to sell the phone and it doesn't look like they will happen any time soon. It turns out that Amazon is sold out so my Passport is on backorder until... get this... November 11th!

Posted via CB10
    MR BBRY!!

While we are watching the stock drop back to its 50-dma here, I should mention that had they used the expanded amount of stock, including the Bond conversion (125 MM additional shares) as they did in Q1, we would have almost broke even on EPS!! So I would have been out by almost $ .04/shr a share if they used comparable numbers. Big deal, at least I put it to those analysts who bashed the company with such low targets on EPS!! Yeah.

Where I went wrong was on the Services, oops there, totally got that wrong in a terrible way. Then, I saw a bigger uptake in the Z3, that is a pre- Foxconn phone where the margins are much better so that was a shock to my revenue as well. It looks like Venezuela is back on track, there were really no additional non-cash charges (bond adjustment is non-cash and always will be) so the numbers are very clean for the first time. I also mentioned that they could revert back to handsets shipped versus handsets sold to the end-user and that worked big time. So, to me, I really liked the numbers aside from those revenues numbers. Now, Chen stated that those revenue numbers should level out for the next ER and I thought we would see this occur based upon my Z3 calculations. We are getting there, almost had a whopping breakout day today but missed by just one important number!

Let's watch the stock at support.
    09-26-14 11:34 AM
    I did!
    Yeah, you can thank me now. I saw the SP going up on wed so I bought some more. My desired effect happened and the SP came down for you guys.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-26-14 11:39 AM
    Nothing can move this stock accept the shorts this is making me barf
    CDM76 likes this.
    09-26-14 11:47 AM
    Got the Passport today.
    Have to wait for my son to gift it to me tomorrow before I can open it.

Great birthday gift from Mr. Chen, by the way !!!
    I just got the Passport today too! I will share pics later.
    09-26-14 11:52 AM
    Business Insider reporting that Chen mentioned software revenue would double next year!

I don't think I have ever been so bullish on Blackberry.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-img_20140926_125720.png

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 12:02 PM
    And to quote a new user of the Passport:

Honestly, I bought this device because its different. I wanted to try something different, I was getting bored of the android interface. I was a bit skeptical about buying this phone since everyone says BB is dead. My surprises that this phone is pretty good...

From an Amazon review....pretty much sums up what we are seeing in the market place! Nice
    09-26-14 12:03 PM
    The Passport is also sold out on the websites of Best Buy and Future Shop. The DESIRE of having a Blackberry Passport is getting stronger and stronger!! It's like when most of you guys run out of cold beer and you can't find one, you go crazy, and I seen it in the past!!
    More likely that BestBuy and FutureShop had very limited quantities. Dont get me wrong..... it's good that they are sold out, but it doesn't necessarily mean large numbers sold there. I'm more impressed that shop.blackberry is sold out!

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 12:10 PM
    What is going on with thisss SP lol
    09-26-14 12:11 PM
    Passport arrived at home according to FedEx, I'm currently out on the lake fishing but can't wait to get home and play with it, btw looks like sp tested Morgan's support and is going back up now, called it again black wizard

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 12:14 PM
    09-26-14 12:21 PM
    Business Insider reporting that Chen mentioned software revenue would double next year!

I don't think I have ever been so bullish on Blackberry.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140926_125720.png 
Views:	882 
Size:	184.3 KB 
ID:	300727

Posted via CB10
    He did, and before doing so, he reiterated the policy on forward looking statements lol.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 12:22 PM
    And to quote a new user of the Passport:

Honestly, I bought this device because its different. I wanted to try something different, I was getting bored of the android interface. I was a bit skeptical about buying this phone since everyone says BB is dead. My surprises that this phone is pretty good...

From an Amazon review....pretty much sums up what we are seeing in the market place! Nice

If you are implying that the Passport is the new iPhone, I'm going to have to return mine!!!
    09-26-14 12:22 PM
    If you are implying that the Passport is the new iPhone, I'm going to have to return mine!!!
    Hahahaha

Posted with my soon to be Passport
    09-26-14 12:29 PM
    Chen stands behind BlackBerry's turnaround

Appearing on "Squawk Alley," Chen said he's "very confident" with the company's software business and is "pretty sure we'll grow," especially as the company readies to release its BES12 operating system on November 13.

Chen also expects a continued uptick in hardware revenue thanks to strong sales of its Passport smartphone and the upcoming release of its Classic smartphone "in a couple of months."

In turn, Chen said the company's cash flow will at least break even in the near term, only to grow later on.
    Either way, Chen said he plans to run BlackBerry for "as long as it takes to get this company doing well."
    09-26-14 12:33 PM
    JC on BNN:

BlackBerry plans to double software revenue by 2015: CEO
    http://www.bnn.ca/News/2014/9/26/Bla...d-quarter.aspx

09-26-14 12:43 PM
    According to John Chen on the conference call, they only make 200k units a launch, but there is a much larger shipment coming on Wednesday Oct 1.
    09-26-14 12:46 PM
    BlackBerry Q2 earnings: Convincing evidence the company is back on the road to success | CrackBerry.com

edit ; Umi, full force, like we like him.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 09-26-14 at 01:30 PM.
    sidhuk, bungaboy, Mr BBRY and 3 others like this.
    09-26-14 01:19 PM
    Really thinking of getting a passport.

In the last 18 months I bought a bold, z10, z30.

How can I justify this? I think I have a problem!

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 01:20 PM
    You are not alone!!!

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR, bungaboy and rarsen like this.
    09-26-14 01:29 PM
    Really thinking of getting a passport.

Posted via CB10
    By showing it off to your friends, saying "I told you so!" when they get one, and reaping the rewards of your shares after the next ER
    09-26-14 01:32 PM
105,968 ... 28762877287828792880 ...