View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

693 62.60%
  • No

414 37.40%
    selling off before the 2nd q report coming up and after the introduction of passport. must be confusing if you want to sell the news in between NR's, my guess a runup into the close at some point today...
    leaked ER? this is some heavy dumping the past 3 days or some heavy shorting. Someone knows something
    CDM76 likes this.
    09-25-14 08:58 AM
    leaked ER? this is some heavy dumping the past 3 days or some heavy shorting. Someone knows something
    That's my fear. It always seems the shorts are one step ahead with this stock....something seems fishy

Posted via CB10
    jake simmons3 and CDM76 like this.
    09-25-14 09:01 AM
  3. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    All stocks down this am.. Apple down 2 percent...

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 09:05 AM
    That's my fear. It always seems the shorts are one step ahead with this stock....something seems fishy

Posted via CB10
    They have been ahead of this stock for the best part of 3 years now. I guess they just found out this isnt the qtr where they get burned so they piled back into it
    09-25-14 09:07 AM
    I understand the use case for blend and think it's an innovative extension of the BlackBerry Bridge (and will use it). Now, your smartphone can act as a gateway into your work and personal content communicating through any PC or tablet. Authenticate once to your phone and the other devices don't need to be reauthenticated (at least, this is my understanding).

Unfortunately, I fear this will be a tough sell and not drive device volume. There are lots of innovative features on the bb10 os, but to-date, bbry has not done a good enough job identifying use cases and marketing then to their audience. People need to understand the value for it to change behavior.

I thought this was the poorest part of the launch event... the story was not compelling as to why someone needs this feature. I'd love to work with them to build out these use cases, since the technology is powerful. As a supporter, and long share holder, I want them to succeed. Hopefully, people will respond and all of us can meet up with bbry hits $100!

Posted via CB10
    Really? Blend solves a problem even my PC can't solve and that is one client that can access ALL my email accounts and calendars AT ONCE. On the PC it's still log in here, then there, then there. Oh, and btw, work restricts access to home email, blah, blah. It's beautiful and should be an easy sell as its value is easy to understand. Then add the security feature that once you log off of blend, *poof*, your data was never there.

Only, the cynic in me says a lot less work will get done if everyone can text, BBM all day from their desktop. Ha!
    09-25-14 09:10 AM
    For the record. Hatchet job by the WSJ:
    BlackBerry Passport Review: A Love Story
    Looks like a review that they knew the end result before testing the device.
    Corbu, bungaboy and zachgeo like this.
    09-25-14 09:14 AM
    Did anyone receive an email from BlackBerry indicating that the Passport is available? Bc I sure didnt...
    morganplus8 and Mr BBRY like this.
    09-25-14 09:15 AM
    close to a 10 percent drop in about 8 hours of trading with no negative news
    09-25-14 09:19 AM
    Did anyone receive an email from BlackBerry indicating that the Passport is available? Bc I sure didnt...
    I haven't and don't know anyone who has yet. Registered a long time ago...
    09-25-14 09:19 AM
    Passport Won't Stamp BlackBerry For Gains - Forbes

Struggling smartphone company BlackBerry has released its response to the “phablet” craze: the Passport. Designed like the boxy object for which it is named — “the universal symbol of mobility,” BlackBerry said – the Passport is a 4.5-inched square that BlackBerry touts has better resolution than Apple's iPhone 6 Plus or Samsung’s Galaxy S5. Yet for all the superlatives included in the Passport announcement, early Wall Street reviews have been quick to point out that the Passport might have trouble taking off.

Based on the details about the new phone that BlackBerry released Wednesday afternoon, the Passport is aiming to meet (and surpass) its competitors feature by feature while also amending the company’s previous missteps: Siri, meet BlackBerry Assistant. Struggling with that iOS 8 battery life? BlackBerry says its new phone has “the largest [battery] among the top selling smartphones and phablets and, when tested against a very active user, provides up to 30 hours of mixed use.” And for BlackBerry devotees who were shocked by the Z10′s missing keyboard, the Passport has brought the keyboard back.

“The BlackBerry Passport was created to drive productivity and to break through the sea of rectangular-screen, all-touch devices,” BlackBerry chairman and CEO John Chen said in a statement.

Unfortunately for Chen, early reviews indicate that the Passport might be too square to be hip.

“We believe the square shape of the screen could make the vast store of Android apps now available via the Amazon app store a disappointing experience as most were designed for a longer screen implying they would need to be redesigned,” wrote Citi analyst Ehud Gelblum in a note on Wednesday.

Gelblum also criticized BlackBerry’s pricing plan, which calls for the Passport to be available in the US (via Amazon) and in Canada (via Telus) for a “6-day exclusive for $200″ with a two-year contract, but that price will rise to $250 on October 1. Without a contract, the Passport will cost $599, but Gelblum said that BlackBerry has plans to raise that price, a move he called “an odd and not very customer-friendly decision.” As it is, the Passport is only $50 cheaper than the iPhone 6; it’s more competitive against the iPhone 6 Plus, which costs $150 more than the Passport.

The Passport announcement was not enough to move Citi’s price target or rating for BlackBerry; the investment firm reiterated its “sell” call and $8 price target.

Deutsche Bank analyst Brian Modoff was not quite as negative on the product as Citi’s Gelblum, but nonetheless was unimpressed. ”There was nothing that struck us as transformative with the device or the software update, but then again, it is possible that Blackberry does not need to be transformative at this point, just iterative enough to keep the faithful loyal,” he wrote in a note Thursday morning. “The Passport could help, but our thought is that the soon-to-be-released Blackberry Classic does a better job of appealing to their base.”

Modoff said that he attended BlackBerry’s launch event in Toronto, the theme of which was “Canadian Comeback.” But echoing Gelblum’s critique of the app experience within BlackBerry devices, Modoff wrote that he’s skeptical of BlackBerry’s ability to complete this comeback.

“We think it will be a challenge for this device to be the one that ‘brings Blackberry back’ or even attains meaningful traction in developed countries,” he said.

Deutsche Bank also reiterated its prior rating and price target for BlackBerry, saying that it maintains its “hold” and $8 per-share target.

Reviewers off Wall Street were equally skeptical. Consumer Reports said in a review that prospective customers may want to think twice about investing in BlackBerry hardware given the fact that its most recent introductions to the smartphone market — the Z10, Q10 and Z30 — were “middling performers.”

The consumer site allowed that “‘Crackberry’ addicts will appreciate the physical keyboard, which has the same look and feel as those on BlackBerry phones of the past,” but went on to say that “some people may will find one-handed operation with this wide-bodied phone, which measures 5.04 x 3.56 x 0.37 inches, impractical under most circumstances.”

Shares of BlackBerry, which closed down by about 0.5% on Wednesday, continued their descent in early Thursday trading; shares are currently down 2.95%. Year-to-date, however, the stock has reversed its abysmal 2013 performance (it lost 36% of its value in 2013 trading) and is up about 37%.
    09-25-14 09:21 AM
    Corbu, sidhuk and rarsen like this.
    09-25-14 09:22 AM
    All stocks down this am.. Apple down 2 percent...

Posted via CB10
    Seems that way.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-img_20140925_092216.png

BlackBerry Z30. The best smart phone.
    bungaboy, morganplus8 and CDM76 like this.
    09-25-14 09:22 AM
    BlackBerry Passport: Why it represents the 'crux' of CEO John Chen's strategy - Business - CBC News

CEO has done a good job, so far, in stabilizing BlackBerry's core business, analyst says

The BlackBerry Passport may have already been in the works before he came on board, but its release encapsulates the strategy chief executive John Chen has for the beleaguered company as it attempts to claw back market share in the smartphone industry.

"It's really the crux of his strategy," said telecom analyst Troy Crandall of MacDougall, MacDougall & MacTier. "This phone definitely seems to be moving along the strategy that Chen set out back when he became CEO and revamped the strategy for BlackBerry."

Chen, who took over the reins of BlackBerry in November 2013, is focusing on the corporate market — also known as the enterprise market — and targeting the regulated sectors that include health, finance, the military and government. All those sectors require high-level secure communications, and it's an area where BlackBerry is still considered an industry leader.

'Probably the direction they should go'

"It seems logical," Crandall says about Chen's strategy. "If it didn't seem logical, the stock would be well below where it currently is. So obviously the street also feels this is probably the direction they should go at this point."

The new Passport with its large square screen will certainly appeal to those in the financial sector needing to read spreadsheets, or to doctors wanting to look at X-rays or CT scans, Crandall said. And it also comes equipped with a physical keyboard, a feature much valued by its core audience.

"The Passport is very clearly a business-centric, productivity-centric device, and that sort of focus is a really good thing," Jan Dawson, chief analyst at Jackdaw Research, a technology research and advisory firm, said in an email. "BlackBerry spent just a few minutes talking about more consumer-centric features like the camera and the Amazon App Store, which will provide consumer-centric apps, but the whole rest of the time was all about business and productivity.

"That’s a recognition that that’s the one area where BlackBerry can compete now in smartphones, and that recognition is long overdue."

The smartphone launch comes days before the company reports on its second quarter earnings. BlackBerry continues to lose money and is expected to report negative earnings per share. And with the company still in its turnaround phase, revenues will continue to be down, Crandall said.

But technology industry analyst Jeff Kagan said Chen has done a good job so far in stabilizing BlackBerry's core business. The bad news, he said, is that that core business now has a market share of less than one per cent.

While Kagan believes that BlackBerry will never be a strong competitor to the Apple iPhone, or the Samsung Galaxy or other Android phones, it can still be a viable, smaller competitor. That's why he expressed some disappointment in the Passport, which he said is receiving mixed reviews and may alienate some of BlackBerry's core consumers.

"Blackberry could really have hit it out of the park if they focused on what their core really loved about their devices. I may be wrong, but I just don't see hardcore Blackberry users loving this strange little device," Kagan said.

'High-flying days have passed'

"The Passport will not help BlackBerry ride high once again," he said. "Those high-flying days have passed. The real question is will Passport capture enough market share to help Blackberry stay alive. We'll just have to wait and see."

Ultimately, Crandall said, BlackBerry wants most of its revenue coming from services, rather than the actual handsets, which are a fairly low margin device. (Chen caused a stir back in April when he suggested the company might exit the handset business — he later clarified his remarks).

But Chen has been putting more emphasis on BlackBerry's mobile device management (MDM) business, a collection of software that allows IT departments to manage different devices connected to their corporate networks.

He has emphasized BlackBerry's popular BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) application which is now also available on Apple and Android devices. And Chen has said his long-term plans for BlackBerry include competing in the burgeoning M2M or machine-to-machine business of connecting all manner of devices, from kitchen appliances to automotive consoles to smartphones.

"Future growth will come, if it comes at all, from growing the BBM base and MDM opportunity beyond just BlackBerry devices, and from M2M," Dawson said. "I think we might see modest growth at BlackBerry for a year or two, and then it’s a question of whether they can begin to capture a significant share of the new markets they’re going after.

"That’s pretty much up in the air at this point because they haven’t put a lot of flesh on the bones in terms of where they’ll take M2M and BBM going forward."
    bungaboy, jxnb, rarsen and 5 others like this.
    09-25-14 09:23 AM
    What's with the 50 cent drop? I thought things were going well? :S

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 09:25 AM
    09-25-14 09:31 AM
    What's with the 50 cent drop? I thought things were going well? :S

Posted via CB10
    I think this might explain it...

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-img_20140925_103404.png
    Last edited by bspence87; 09-25-14 at 11:22 AM.
    09-25-14 09:34 AM
    Given the Passport's resolution, does the Passport automatically letterbox apps that were written for 16:9 screens?
    09-25-14 09:38 AM
    More from the WSJ, from the girl who did the hatchet video.

Mostly for the comments, for anyone who has the time or any interest in reading them. Typical US reaction... This company is DEAD, etc. And a few more insightful people...

BlackBerry Passport Review: A Smartphone Aimed Squarely at Professionals - WSJ
    rarsen, Mr BBRY, zachgeo and 1 others like this.
    09-25-14 09:49 AM
    OT HALO
    Hey m8! do you think HALO would continue to trade within the $9-10 range for the next couple of months? because I was looking at the chart and its pretty consistent, with the trend right now it seems like it would fall back to low $9s soon, just curious about your thoughts cause I may play this ride. THanks m8!!
    Hi slipstream89 !!!

Re: OT HALO

Here's a chart on HALO, you will find a well defined pennant formation of sorts that has been climbing for months now. All the news on this stock has been 100% positive for the company and even the senior management have purchased shares at your support level of $ 9.00/shr.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-halo-sept-25-2014.png

In order to rally we need to breakout of that $ 10.30/shr ceiling that has been created for several months now. No matter what the news, they keep hammering the stock back into this formation. As you can see, the range is narrowing as we move along here and at some point, it is going to rally hard. I can't trade a stock that has this much upside potential, I don't want to try and make $ .30 - $ .40/shr and miss a multi-dollar jump when they announce a partnership with their cellulite drug for instance.

Today we are down on very light volume, the general market is getting hit really hard right now and none of my stocks are green. The moment the DOW starts to show signs of bottoming out, this one will be right back at it recent highs. So I can't recommend selling this one for pennies on the dollar knowing they have explosive news available to them at any moment. If you decide to trade the stock your maximum range is somewhere around $ 9.30/shr to $ 10.15/shr and that's not much room to merit a trade for me. GL
    bungaboy, sidhuk, Corbu and 6 others like this.
    09-25-14 09:50 AM
    Apple is down too? Oh my. How is that possible?

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-img_20140925_095314.png

BlackBerry Z30. The best smart phone.
    bungaboy, CDM76 and morganplus8 like this.
    09-25-14 09:54 AM
    What seems to be a far better (and too long to post) review of the Passport:
    Hands On With the New BlackBerry Passport Smartphone | CIO

Things to Love (And Hate) About the BlackBerry Passport: Conclusion

I like the BlackBerry Passport. I like it a lot. It's not a device I'll stop using after I'm done reviewing it. (The Land of Misfit Tech Toys is packed with devices I haven't touched since I finished evaluating them.)

The keyboard is great, if a bit oversized and unwieldy. Battery life is spectacular. It's built well, and its large display helps make me more productive on my mobile device. If you're a smartphone "power user" who values the ability to work on your handset over play, you'll find a friend in the Passport.

However, the software experience is lacking, largely due to general bugginess. The keyboard takes a while to get used to, and some of the keyboard-based gestures don't work as well as they could. The device is big, and it could definitely be too big for certain people. If you only want to carry one device, you could do better overall than the Passport.

That said, BlackBerry deserves some credit for creating a smartphone that's truly innovative, truly unique, and just different. The smartphone world is boring these days, at least from a hardware perspective. Major manufacturers blatantly copy each other. It's refreshing to see a new product such as the BlackBerry Passport.

The unlocked BlackBerry Passport (32GB) is available now for $599 in the United States via ShopBlackBerry.com. BlackBerry expects its wireless carrier partners to sell a subsidized version of the device some time this year for around $250 on contract.
    rarsen, jxnb, bungaboy and 2 others like this.
    09-25-14 09:54 AM
    OT from the Related Technologies file, for one of its not appreciated undocumented features

Apple to replace bent iPhone 6 Plus models | ZDNet
    09-25-14 10:07 AM
    I am going to grab some
    Bloody red opening
    sidhuk, bungaboy and Mr BBRY like this.
    09-25-14 10:15 AM
    Superfly, what I meant was is it only the blackberry phones that can act as a 'network hub' for blend?
    Yes software "intelligence" is actually on the BB10 device (Passport, Porsche as I write this).

Some of the Blend functionality exists in iOS/Android currently through apps like Pushbullet. More on iOS and Mac, the integration will go further with the Yosemite upgrade and the extensibility functions that it will offer to iOS users.
    I don't know these tools but I wonder if they really compare. What we have here with Blend is a client on the computer and a server on the device.
    This means all is processed, stored, secured and sent by/through the BB10 device. At the end of your session, there's nothing left on the computer. I mean it's not a "sync" (even RT) app.

Guys, my bad - hit me first - but we're wayyy OT and I know there are tons of threads with insightful members ready to answer all these questions
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 09-25-14 at 10:40 AM. Reason: added "sync"
    Corbu, sidhuk, morganplus8 and 5 others like this.
    09-25-14 10:28 AM
    hey a positive think about her review is that she was typing with ONE HAND at some point!!!
    For the record. Hatchet job by the WSJ:
    BlackBerry Passport Review: A Love Story
    09-25-14 10:35 AM
106,410 ... 28672868286928702871 ...