View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

694 62.52%
  • No

416 37.48%
    Actually decent article from Yahoo Tech with some pretty positive comments. I love the keyboard/trackpad combo

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/the-touch...286819979.html
    09-24-14 11:18 AM
    Love the BBC headline.....

Blackberry Passport introduces dual-control keyboard

http://m.bbc.com/news/technology-29328135
    09-24-14 11:32 AM
    Grrrrr!@? I want it!!!

Attachment 300020
    Don't hate me !

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR and Shanerredflag like this.
    09-24-14 11:41 AM
    Went to Telus and they had one on display, so I gave it a whirl. First impression is that the screen is nice and it is going to be pleasant to use daily, for many things. The size is not too bad, I can see how one can get used to it.

Was taken back by the keyboard as it is much larger than my Z30, but I also felt I'd get used to it. Now the capacitive keyboard is pretty cool, so that is going to be a winning feature for sure.

As for the uneducated sales rep that was there, not only did he not know anything about the passport, even thought he was the one that had just unboxed it to put on display, but he said that was way to large to hold in your hand, to which I replied that BBRY was targeting professionals, and I left it at that.

All in all seems to be well build. I'm guessing many of you will be getting your own soon, so we will hear way more shortly.

I can't wait to try out Blend!
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-img_20140924_122254.jpg

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 11:42 AM
    My impressions of the launch event (live stream):

1. Nothing that wasn't already known (to fans) was announced. In fact, BlackBerry Classic etc that we all know were missing from announcement.

2. BlackBerry, even under John Chen, does not know how to hold launch events. Apple is in it's own league but even Microsoft, Samsung do a better job of event-management. You've to look at launch events like hosting the Oscars, I guess. I mean - that's the level of event-management that should go into it. But then that's just my personal opinion. John Chen, in fact, started off the event with an apology (justification) of sorts for Passport's big size.

Overall, underwhelmed by the event (presentation).

Now as for content of the event (instead of how it was presented): A+ . I mean, I love Passport's look and functionality, love the new key board, and downloaded Blend even before it was announced on stage (unfortunately, Blend doesn't work with 10.3 leaked OS on my Q10 yet). I'll be getting a Passport in next 2-3 months.

Stock market action - disappointed that we didn't go up in double percentages
    09-24-14 11:44 AM
    Another positive review:

Bottom line: this is a great phone. It’s admittedly a bit heavy, and will be awkward for people with small hands to manage, but the functionality is solid, the feature set comprehensive, and performance strong. It definitely puts BlackBerry back in the game.
    BlackBerry Passport review: Square phone with QWERTY keyboard puts it back in the game | Financial Post
    Mr BBRY, rarsen, jxnb and 6 others like this.
    09-24-14 11:45 AM
    Stock market action - disappointed that we didn't go up in double percentages
    Why would you expect BB to go up 10%+ when, as you said earlier, that Nothing that wasn't already known was presented?
    09-24-14 11:49 AM
    Why would you expect BB to go up 10%+ when, as you said earlier, that Nothing that wasn't already known was presented?
    BBRY used to be a lot more volatile. During events, it'd go up/down 10+% a few times in course of a single trading-day! I
    09-24-14 11:51 AM
    BBRY used to be a lot more volatile. During events, it'd go up/down 10+% a few times in course of a single trading-day! I
    Let's just wait for Friday for that
    09-24-14 11:53 AM
    So have a nice day then. We'll just have to live with the results.
    Just want to say this, if you are a long term investors holding for several years do not pay attention to daily movements. If you are a trader but gets spooked over several percentage points either gain or loss you shouldn't be trading, you're going to have a panic attack everytime. Health first

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 11:55 AM
    NYT:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/25/te...hone.html?_r=0

BlackBerry, Under New Leadership, Unveils Its Newest Smartphone

OTTAWA There are plenty of signs suggesting that John S. Chen, chief executive of BlackBerry, should sprint as fast as possible away from making phones.

Handsets drove the companys initial success, but they then brought the company to the edge of financial ruin, also-rans behind Apple and Samsung. Even Mr. Chen, who was brought in last November to salvage BlackBerry, has made it clear that the companys future lies mainly in selling mobile data management security and services to governments and corporations.

But on Wednesday, BlackBerry reached for smartphone magic once more, introducing the Passport, the first major BlackBerry device since Mr. Chens arrival. If the phone fails, it will likely signal the end of BlackBerrys handset business instead of its revival.

The company presented the phones on Wednesday at big events in London, Dubai and Toronto. Yet in an interview earlier this month, Mr. Chen suggested that BlackBerry has comparatively modest goals for the Passport, which features a novel square display and a physical keyboard that doubles as a touch sensitive track pad.

And his support for BlackBerrys handset business was not unconditional.

It could be extremely important to me in the turnaround as part of the strategy, but it does not have to be it, he said. As long as it does not lose money, this will not affect my turnaround plan in a negative way.

He added: We will make money on the handset if we dont, well have to get out.

Mr. Chen plans to aim sales efforts for the Passport toward BlackBerrys traditional customers base regulated industries like banks, health care and governments, particularly law enforcement and the military. The security concerns of such users makes them far less concerned about price than many buyers.

But some analysts say that BlackBerry must overcome several significant hurdles to re-establish its phone business with the Passport and a second model, the BlackBerry Classic, which has not yet been released.

I do wonder how they can actually have an impact, said Nick Spencer, a mobile-devices analyst with ABI Research in London who once worked for BlackBerry. Its an awfully long way back for them.

Making the hardware business at BlackBerry simply break even will be a difficult balancing act between cost and price.

Unlike, say, makers of sports cars, BlackBerry cannot sell the Passport as an executive phone that commands an unusually high price. Apple, most analysts agree, has set the ceiling for smartphone prices. The Passport, when bought without a carrier subsidy or large corporate buyers discount, will cost $600 in the United States, $50 less than the basic iPhone 6.

But smartphones, like all electronics, are a product for which large-scale manufacturing brings significant savings and scale is something the much-diminished BlackBerry lacks. IDC, a research company, estimates that Apple shipped 32.5 million iPhones during the second quarter of this year while BlackBerry moved only 1.5 million handsets.

Continue reading the main storyContinue reading the main storyContinue reading the main story
    Mr. Chen said he was confident there were ways to find cost savings. For low-cost phones intended for developing nations, BlackBerry has partnered with Foxconn Technology Group, the Taiwanese contract manufacturer that also builds several Apple products. It has relieved BlackBerry of inventory costs related to those phones.

But to meet American and Canadian security requirements, the Passport is built in Mexico by another contract manufacturer. Still, Mr. Chen said, all is not lost.

By Mr. Chens estimate, 70 percent of the parts inside the Passport are common to all smartphones from all companies, somewhat mitigating, he said, the higher costs that come from smaller production runs.

**** James, a senior technology analyst with Chipworks, a company in Ottawa that reverse engineers hardware and software for patent lawyers and others, agrees that most of the parts inside many BlackBerry phones are commonly found in all other smartphones. But he said that the Passports two most obviously unique pieces of hardware, the square screen and the touch sensitive keyboard, are also among its most expensive parts.

They wont have scale, so their costs are going to be higher than the other leading-edge phones, said Mr. James, who had yet to acquire a Passport for dismantling. This phone will be lucky if it hits a million total.

Even more significant than the hardware costs, said Mr. Spencer of ABI Research, is maintaining and developing the niche BlackBerry 10 operating system. Mr. Chen has ambitious, if not fully formed, plans to extend the use of the BlackBerry 10 operating system into areas like automobiles and retailing, but such uses do not require most of the software features smartphone users demand.

Makers of Android phones, Mr. Spencer added, get much of their software free, significantly reducing their costs.

Mr. Chen and other BlackBerry executives contend otherwise, but Mr. Spencer said that he did not see the companys continued commitment to phones as a benefit to Mr. Chens software and services plan.

Id thought by now John Chen would have come up with a bit more of a strategy, Mr. Spencer said. I dont mean to be harsh, but it seems to me that theyre still muddling along.

Ramon T. Llamas, a smartphone analyst with IDC, has used a Passport for several weeks and found it a notable improvement over previous BlackBerry 10 phones. Theres some added maturity to this one, he said.

One crucial factor in determining the Passports success or failure, Mr. Llamas said, will be BlackBerry finding a way to sell the phone directly to its target audience rather than relying on wireless carriers sales forces whose members tend to be far more familiar with Apple and Android phones.

Many longtime BlackBerry users in the industries that Mr. Chen is focusing on disliked the initial BlackBerry 10 phones so much that BlackBerry was forced to restart production of phones that used its aging BlackBerry 7 operating system. Mr. Llamas said he believed the Passport could win over many of those die-hards. It may also, he added, be enough of a success to keep BlackBerrys phone business alive, if not fully well.

You can fault me for being an eternal optimist, he said. But I dont think this is the last stand.
    09-24-14 12:04 PM
    Superfly, I recognized the box-opening technique from a different video. Does this happen to be you??

CDM76, Mr BBRY, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    09-24-14 12:04 PM
    Toronto Star:
    BlackBerry unveils new square Passport phone | Toronto Star

Phone aimed ‘squarely’ at the 30 per cent of the market interested in productivity and purpose, Chen tells Toronto audience.

BlackBerry drew on the star power of hockey legend Wayne Gretzky for its launch Wednesday of the unusually contoured Passport smartphone, a device the company says it squarely aimed at mobile professionals.

Gretzky, who told a crowd at a sports bar near the Air Canada Centre in Toronto that he is a long time BlackBerry fan, said he was impressed by the business features of the Passport, which features a 4.5 inch square screen and a “touch enabled” physical keyboard with three lines of characters.

Chief executive John Chen told reporters the device “is squarely aimed at the 30 per cent of the user base that likes a keyboard and long battery life. The device is packed with power.”

Product and brand marketing executive Jeff Gadway said the wide-screened Passport makes business documents such as spreadsheets easier to read than on devices from rivals including Samsung and Apple.

He also said the BB 10.3 operating system update loaded on the Passport provides hundreds of new features including the BlackBerry Assistant that can access data from secure work containers, unlike Apple’s Siri and Google’s Now.

Chen acknowledged that the Passport may be viewed as “big,” but said the device fits easily into a pocket or purse.

The Passport is BlackBerry’s first major new device slated for a global introduction — including events in Toronto, London and Dubai today -- since Chen was named CEO in November, the same day that a planned buyout of the company collapsed. The Passport is geared toward professionals, part of Chen’s plan to ditch the company’s flagging smartphone sales among consumers and instead concentrate on higher-margin services for corporations.

With a 4.5-inch (11.4-centimeter) screen and a physical qwerty keyboard that doubles as a touch-sensitive swipe pad, the Passport is focused on work productivity. That stands in contrast to Apple Inc.’s new iPhone 6 and larger iPhone 6 Plus that cater to video consumption for the consumer market.

BlackBerry is facing a shift in the business world with more workers using their own devices instead of employers providing them, meaning companies aren’t trying to buy new handsets in mass, said Ehud Gelblum, a New York-based analyst with Citigroup Inc.

“There’s this concept that’s been created about this being a seminal moment and this is the turning point,” Gelblum said in a phone interview. “This is just yet the next step.”

The Passport’s target user base of “power professionals” refers to people who are educated, well-paid and employed in security-sensitive industries like health care and finance, said Marty Beard, BlackBerry’s chief operating officer.

“Everything that we’re doing at the company is pointed towards this segment -- all of our marketing activity, our sales activity, our partnering activity,” Beard said in a briefing.

Professional users make up almost 10 percent of the global smartphone market, according to the company’s research, Beard said.

“That’s a lot of smartphones, especially in the premium space,” he said, declining to provide specific sales targets.

The phone goes on sale today in Canada, France, Germany, the U.K. and the U.S., and will be available in more than 30 countries by the end of 2014. The Passport will also be available through Amazon.com.

BlackBerry will sell the new handset at a “special introductory rate” of $599 in the U.S. without a mobile plan, undercutting the iPhone 6, which went on sale last week for $649. The phone will cost $699 in Canada, 649 euros ($834 U.S.) in France and Germany, and 529 pounds ($867 U.S.) in the U.K.

The global unveiling is taking place two days before the company releases second-quarter earnings results. It’s all part of Chen’s plan to reach break-even cash flow by the end of this fiscal year and return to profitability during the year that will end in early 2016. For the quarter that ended Aug. 31, analysts are projecting BlackBerry will report a net loss of $120.2 million on revenue of $948.5 million.

If the Passport doesn’t sell well, Chen says that won’t derail his effort to save BlackBerry.

“It’s just going to make the turnaround a little more difficult, but it’s not going to stop the turnaround,” Chen said. “This is going to do well.”

Chen said he canceled some devices under development when he joined the company. The Passport, on the other hand, was more innovative with its unique form, he said.

Since taking the helm, Chen has outsourced manufacturing to Foxconn Technology Group and focused BlackBerry’s efforts on selling device management and messaging software to security- conscious companies and governments. The Waterloo, Ontario-based company’s software is now available on iPhones and Android devices, and Chen said such enterprise services are the most important part of his turnaround plan.

BlackBerry shares had risen 63 per cent through yesterday since he was named CEO, giving the company a market value of about $5.6 billion. It’s still a far cry from the company’s peak of $83 billion in 2008.

The company is trying to win back business users as its market is shrinking because more employees are opting to bring their own device to work, Gelblum said. He estimated the number of employer-provided phones bought each quarter to be about 1 million to 1.5 million, down from about 3 million four years ago.

“We therefore believe the success of the device business is once again in the hands of BlackBerry’s consumer fans, counter to CEO Chen’s enterprise first strategy,” Gelblum wrote in a note to clients this week.

There’s stiff competition to win over consumers these days. BlackBerry shipped 1.5 million smartphones in the quarter ended June 30, according to research firm IDC, giving it a 0.5 per cent share of the global smartphone market.

Apple sold a record of more than 10 million iPhones last weekend, the first weekend that its two new versions with displays of 4.7 inches and 5.5 inches were on sale in stores.

The tech giant is moving into business services, too. The company, based in Cupertino, California, announced a partnership with International Business Machines Corp. in July to get more iPhones and iPads into businesses and expand IBM’s mobile services.

BlackBerry says the Passport’s square screen and new keyboard for professional customers offer better views of Excel spreadsheets, higher resolution to examine X-ray images and BlackBerry Assistant to get stuff done while you’re driving.

“BlackBerry’s CEO’s attempts to convince Enterprise CEOs and CIOs to give BlackBerry a second chance is bearing some positive results,” Mark Sue, an analyst at RBC Capital Markets, wrote in a note this week. “The improvements in the balance sheet and restructuring in the business is providing the challenged company much needed time to turn things around.”
    09-24-14 12:10 PM
    09-24-14 12:15 PM
    Best advice i can give anyone who has a iphone 6 and doesnt want it to bend
    "Well, if you have an iPhone, you probably already have a purse."
    09-24-14 12:15 PM
    09-24-14 12:16 PM
    09-24-14 12:18 PM
    09-24-14 12:20 PM
    Ordered my Black Passport directly from the BlackBerry shop in Canada!
    09-24-14 12:24 PM
    Is ridiculous that they are selling for 100$ more in Canada. Especially since it's a Canadian company.

Posted via CB10
    kfh227 likes this.
    09-24-14 12:30 PM
    Is ridiculous that they are selling for 100$ more in Canada. Especially since it's a Canadian company.

Posted via CB10
    So what...???....dont buy it now and wait 3 months...Geez!
    Corbu, sidhuk, _dimi_ and 4 others like this.
    09-24-14 12:38 PM
    Ordered mine from the US BlackBerry site.
    09-24-14 12:46 PM
    I just bought the Blackberry Passport--overnight shipping!
    09-24-14 12:47 PM
    Regarding apple launches. They take a long time to say very little.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 12:52 PM
    So what...???....dont buy it now and wait 3 months...Geez!
    Even then, sales where available in USA but not Canada. Not that $100 makes a significant difference but is still frustrating.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 01:06 PM
106,800 ... 28622863286428652866 ...