View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

694 62.52%
  • No

416 37.48%
    I know a lot of people who no longer are fans of their iphones. However there are a few problems here for BlackBerry.

1) they have multiple Apple products integrated. (ipad, macbook, apple TV, etc) so they want a new iPhone for that integration

2) iPhone is the first smartphone they ever had and as such they "love" the device.

3) those that are looking at other phones tend to look to android phones.

I know 2&3 are mainly consumer issues and not corporate / business concerns per say, but it doesn't change the fact that the average person is still not looking at BlackBerry. With BYOD and employees controlling what devices the employers buy (in some situations) the avg persons view of BlackBerry is still a serious consideration.

I was hoping that getting new BlackBerry devices into hands of Cdn and USA gov employees would be significant both in terms of sales and in terms of spreading word of mouth advertising. So far BB10 is not in use by either gov. Is ridiculous.
    Posted via CB10
    Actually, you're slightly incorrect my friend. Some of the Canadian Federal departments ( SSC, DFATD, DND ) started rolling out BES10 along with BlackBerry 10 handsets ( Q5, Q10, and Z10). All Canadian government departments have been mandated to upgrade to BES 10 by Treasury Board of Canada so it's just a matter if time (about a year) before all of them will complete the migration.

Posted via swift BlackBerry ? Z30!
    09-13-14 11:17 AM
    Actually, you're slightly incorrect my friend. Some of the Canadian Federal departments ( SSC, DFATD, DND ) started rolling out BES10 along with BlackBerry 10 handsets ( Q5, Q10, and Z10). All Canadian government departments have been mandated to upgrade to BES 10 by Treasury Board of Canada so it's just a matter if time (about a year) before all of them will complete the migration.

Yes I can confirm from the nation capital region. There are 300,000+ Federal workers in Canada. Most of the employees are located in Ottawa. I noticed a surge of Q5/Q10/Z10/Z30 in everyone's hands downtown this summer(mostly Q10). I posted this a few weeks back.

I think there will be a handset sale surprise in North America this quarter. Looking at Kantar numbers in the USA, the marketshare hit a high of 2% in June this year - over 3x what it was in January. It dipped a bit in July but there were some incredible great deals in August. I'm looking forward to those numbers.

Gartner did a lot of damage last year but there was a reversal. Good Technology ended up being garbage and many departments found out the hard way. Glad the Treasury board helped reverse this.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-14 11:59 AM
    09-13-14 12:30 PM
    Movirtu Limited some of the patents.
    Patent US20110059738 - Method and system to enable multiple virtual numbers across different mobile ... - Google Patents
    "Method and system to enable multiple virtual numbers across different mobile networks
    US 20110059738 A1
    ABSTRACT
    Disclosed is a system and method for enabling a subscriber who has multiple virtual or physical SIM identities across several networks to make and receive calls and messages on a single handset at the same time. Key features of the disclosure is the setup and management of multiple virtual IMSIs and MSISDNs, from different networks, or from the same network but different countries or regions, which exist in one or more servers which are able to manage inbound and outbound calls and messages enabling a subscriber to manage multiple identities without the need to swap or replace SIM cards."

Patent US20130095784 - Method and system for enabling shared mobile data usage - Google Patents
    Method and system for enabling shared mobile data usage
    US 20130095784 A1
    ABSTRACT
    Disclosed is a system and method for enabling personalized shared mobile phone usage when accessing data services within a wireless telecommunications network, including an illustrative example application of the invention as it relates to mobile subscribers who cannot afford a mobile phone handset in emerging markets. For instance, a prepaid wireless subscriber can have a personal phone number associated with their own billing account, which can be used to access data services on a wireless network without needing to purchase any hardware, such as a mobile handset or SIM card. Thus, the subscriber may access his account and use data services through a borrowed handset.
    Patent US20140050110 - Method and System for Enabling Shared Mobile Data Usage - Google Patents

Patent US20140128024 - Method and System for Enabling Usage of Mobile Telephone Services on a Donor ... - Google Patents
    Method and System for Enabling Usage of Mobile Telephone Services on a Donor Device
    US 20140128024 A1
    ABSTRACT
    A system and method can allow a first subscriber who is unable to use his mobile device due to theft, damage, loss, or any other reason to authenticate himself on a telecommunications network using a second subscriber's mobile device. The system and method can also allow the first subscriber to continue to make and receive calls and messages with the second subscriber's mobile device. Any charges incurred by usage of the second subscriber's mobile device by the first subscriber can be billed to an account associated with the first subscriber.

Here is apples Patent application. appears to be single line virtual sim.
    Apple introduces us to the Virtual SIM Card - Patently Apple
    On November 3, 2011, the US Patent & Trademark Office published a patent application from Apple that reveals that they're working on a possible future iPhone that will operate using a Virtual SIM Card. Apple states that it would be desirable to be able to provide improved ways in which to provide users with the ability to purchase and use wireless network services without the need of a SIM Card. According to Apple, a secondary benefit of switching to a Virtual SIM Card is that'll improve security while allowing Jony Ive and his team to do what they do best: Design an ever thinner, astoundingly beautiful, next generation iPhone

Updated 2:40PM MST: It should be noted that back in late 2010 The Financial Times reported that "some of Europe’s leading mobile operators are warning that they could take punitive action against Apple if it introduces a technological innovation on its iPhone. Of course the patent covers more than just smartphones and that has to be pointed out.
    09-13-14 12:36 PM

"Most won't be able to read the post so here is a rough translation

The German government has approved the BlackBerry with Secusmart encryption card for the protection of NATO RESTRICTED. Blackberries NSM's German sister organization, the Bundesamt fr Sicherheit in der Technik Information (BSI), has reviewed and approved the BlackBerry secure protection of classified speech. Approval is given for both the German level classified - Top secret (I think) and NATO RESTRICTED. The solution, SecuVOICE SNS for BlackBerry 10, composed of ordinary BlackBerry handset with BlackBerry 10 OS and encryption card in SD form factor from Secusmart. The chip is used to protect the key and perform cryptographic operations with this. Secusmart since approval has been acquired by BlackBerry. This level corresponds Norwegian LIMITED and NSM will be able to approve the application systems that use this solution for this level. Please contact NSM for further information for the establishment of comprehensive security concept, use and operating instructions, and requirements of other measures which must be implemented in order to apply for such approval. NSM has general solution functionally tested with good results over both mobile broadband and wireless LAN. With BlackBerry 10 BlackBerry Balance was launched. This is a "two-level"-like solution with two highly distinct partitions, "Work" and "Personal", where all applications and data during labor is synchronized encrypted and managed, while everything under Personal administered freely by the user. Secusmart chip can also be used to secure Labour partition, but this solution SecuSUITE for BlackBerry 10, is still under evaluation. Once this evaluation is completed, the solution will thus be able to handle both voice and graded graded data on Labour partition, while the user can install their vital apps (read: Facebook and Untappd) Personal partition. BlackBerry will thus become the first truly smart smart mobile phones that are accepted at this level."
    09-13-14 12:37 PM
    I have said it before these fads are short lived. The general populace need new toys and brands to focus on.

I think apple is now feeling the wrath of a consumer which constantly wants change.

My personal opinion is that these brands increase for a maximum of 5 years before they decline rapidly, that is after the initial adoption phase, again maximum 5 years.

Facebook, I think is another one of these. People are bored with it.

Apple's business model was based on 3 to 4 x margin of their competitors because they were the "in fashion " product. This is the first release that we ate seeing them out of favour.

Their major advantage now is that many people feel heavily invested one the ecosystem and so will not leave easily, clever move from apple. Even the chargers for their phone don't work on others.

I really like BlackBerry acquisitions, they all make sense and are in keeping with the overall strategy. They working on putting together ab end to end solution that will be unmatched.

Hacking concerns have also helped and are a real threat all aiding us. I think the new phones look great, really innovation with the passport. I don't care if we don't have mass adoption from the consumer, just have to win back all enterprise customers.

Good work Chen. I will be holding onto my shares. I don't think this quarter will be stellar but I am looking further down the line.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-14 12:57 PM
    Great news, just wished they would have waited to release the news Monday to give the stock a boost. Let's see if the news can hold for the weekend and give the SP a boost. Be a good way to start the week

CB10'n it via da Z...30
    09-13-14 12:57 PM
    This is a good read!

http://forums.crackberry.com/bbry-f3.../#post10821218

"MW UPDATE: Why Apple exemplifies everything that's wrong with Silicon Valley
    Sep 09, 2014 12:51:00 (ET)
    By Tim Mullaney

Let us now overpraise famous companies.

Later today, Apple (AAPL) is expected to drop its long-awaited iWatch, loaded with features Silicon Valley has been dying to sell us, from mobile payments to a heart-rate monitor. And the advance press is as rapturous as always. The iPhone 6, due the same day, is supposed to be bigger than the last one! And it's, it's bigger! And yet ...

It's much harder to get excited about the Valley today if you look critically at what's funded, and how innovative (or not) it actually is. The state of Valley innovation and disruption is not as good as advertised -- not hardly. Apple 's roll-outs are as good a time as any to point out that this tech boom is built mostly around the easy and the glib, far more than around innovation that matters.

The problem with social networking and mobile technologies driving this boom is exactly the paradox Nobel Prize-winning economist Robert Solow saw in early personal computers in the 1980s: You can see their impact everywhere but in the productivity statistics, and the economic growth and rising standards of living that higher productivity would allow -- if only today's Valley were contributing to it much.

Say it: I'm a hater, I'm a faker, I'm a shameless click-baiter. I'm also right.

Productivity growth is amidst its worst four-year stretch since 1982, less than a quarter as fast as in the late 1990s. No wonder real median incomes are close to flat and still below pre-recession levels, after rising 15% in the 1990s. If this tech boom feels different, and less than sufficient, it is. No matter how much you like your iPhone, or how many of them Apple sells.

The truly odd thing about this boom is how little serious use corporations have found for technologies underpinning it. Scholars have looked for corporations exploiting social networking but found mostly minor gains. Yammer, the corporate social-networking software leader, sold itself to Microsoft (MSFT) rather than go public. Kleiner Perkins' iFund for mobile-app companies hasn't generated notable initial public offerings, either.

Mobile hasn't had nearly the impact on the economy that e-commerce, search or open-source computing did. Even with Facebook's (FB) huge valuation, everyone knows from common experience that social is mostly for goofing off. In 2010, then-Groupon (GRPN) Chief Operating Officer Rob Solomon predicted a "Facebook economy" of startups living on referrals from the social network. Its test case was video-game company Zynga (ZNGA), whose stock is down almost 80% since 2012. That was supposed to be Groupon's wave as well.

Now the hype is that Uber will remake distribution of physical goods, taking on FedEx and UPS (UPS) and growing into its recent $18 billion venture-capital valuation. That, plus Airbnb is supposedly disrupting lodging, which you can see everywhere but in hotel-occupancy rates, forecast to hit all-time highs next year. I'll take the under on both companies until we see public numbers.

Think of the trail of butts Amazon.com (AMZN), Google (GOOG) and Wal-Mart (WMT) (a remarkably smart technology user in the day) kicked, and are kicking still. Think of how much more efficient every survivor had to get to deal with them. Now look at Marriott (MAR) and FedEx (FDX) shares and tell me Airbnb and Uber, let alone Zynga and Groupon, are the same thing.

But the money has been good, because these companies are cheap to start and generate good returns even if they're only sold to Facebook or Google, which want their engineers. That encourages ever-more ridiculous companies, culminating in New York magazine's piece about startups (plural!) vowing to "demolish laundry." Whirlpool (WHR) stock shows a certain lack of investor terror.

That, friends, is how we get to the Valley going wild over a watch whose big innovations are that it will do a lot of what a $99 Fitbit does and will let you pay for coffee with your phone. Long-promised phone-based wallets will indeed change your life: You'll reach for your front pocket, not the back, at Starbucks (SBUX).

It's been years since the most critical new tech came from the Valley. The most wealth-creating, new technology of the past decade was hydraulic fracking, which also cut coal use and attacked global warming than all of Kleiner Perkins poobah John Doerr's green portfolio put together. The big disruption now is not in laundry, but in health care, where the combination of IT-enabled management, the Affordable Care Act and other changes are keeping cost growth to a 50-year low while insuring millions of working-class families.

The iWatch will probably sell, but the hard work of health-care IT is led by doctors, hospitals and software companies in Kansas City and Madison, Wis. The iWatch isn't even the Valley's biggest 2014 health-care innovation. That's Gilead Sciences' (GILD) drug to wipe out hepatitis C, which neither Re/code nor TechCrunch, which are Frick and Frack in today's fanboy media, have covered at all.

So excuse me if I don't get excited. If Big Tech gives me tools to be more productive, or save the time and money that Internet search, supply-chain management and e-mail did, I'd be duly impressed.

And we'd all, finally, begin getting richer again."
    09-13-14 01:53 PM
    BlackBerry acquisition lets cellphones have office, personal phone numbers | IT World Canada News

"Movirtu has several products: WorkLife, which lets operators offer enterprises the ability to have two phones numbers on a devices; ManyMe, which lets multiple phone numbers be assigned to a single phone; and CloudPhone, which enables calls over Wi-Fi from tablets and laptops without a SIM card."
    isn't that HUGE ?
    Oh dear ...
    bungaboy, Korepab, sidhuk and 3 others like this.
    09-13-14 01:56 PM
    OT:

RIM co-founder Jim Balsillie put Franklin ship hunt in motion

RIM co-founder Jim Balsillie put Franklin ship hunt in motion - The Globe and Mail
    morganplus8, sidhuk, W Hoa and 3 others like this.
    09-13-14 02:50 PM
    More slightly OT stuff to bounce off your voice blog. Hey! Anything that stands to raise our stock price, right?

[Blurb from BlackBerry Developer blog]:

"With the launch of the 10.3 Gold SDK, I am very excited to announce several improvements to our Phone APIs. With user?s direct permission, these APIs will provide better control over a phone call, access to call logs, and access to the phone audio channel for call recording.

When it comes to call control, previously we had the ability to only initiate and end calls. To provide better control over ongoing, incoming and outgoing phone calls, the Phone class is now equipped with several new functions. If you need to put a call on hold, you can now use holdCall and to resume a call you can use resumeCall. You can also split a conference call into two calls with splitCall as well as merge two calls by calling mergeCall. Combining previous APIs such as initiateCall, encCall and sendDTMFTones, I think this pretty much completes the Phone APIs when it comes to controlling phone calls. Oh, and before I forget, 10.3 also introduces initiateVideoCall to start a video call such as BBM Video."
    End./

There is more, but this summarizes some really nifty control features that again, will set us apart from the others.
    09-13-14 03:07 PM
    I know a lot of people who no longer are fans of their iphones. However there are a few problems here for BlackBerry.

1) they have multiple Apple products integrated. (ipad, macbook, apple TV, etc) so they want a new iPhone for that integration
    Isn't that a fallacious argument though? We're talking tech here and all things tech change. The change to the lighting charger didn't dissuade apple users from upgrading to newer apple devices despite their "massive" investment in all things apple with the original charger. They may have grumbled a bit but buying something new and tossing out "incompatible tech" wasn't too hard.

It's like saying I won't upgrade to CD because I invested thousands of dollars in LPS and phonographs. Or DVDs from VHS tapes.

Most Apple users aren't Apple fanatics. They just bought into Apple because they didn't know better and Apple was a safe choice. Doesn't mean they've invested in all things Apple and can't escape.
    09-13-14 07:56 PM
    Happy Saturday evening gentlemen:

09-13-14 08:36 PM
    Isn't that a fallacious argument though? We're talking tech here and all things tech change. The change to the lighting charger didn't dissuade apple users from upgrading to newer apple devices despite their "massive" investment in all things apple with the original charger. They may have grumbled a bit but buying something new and tossing out "incompatible tech" wasn't too hard.

It's like saying I won't upgrade to CD because I invested thousands of dollars in LPS and phonographs. Or DVDs from VHS tapes.

Most Apple users aren't Apple fanatics. They just bought into Apple because they didn't know better and Apple was a safe choice. Doesn't mean they've invested in all things Apple and can't escape.
    I think the OP was trying to reference the fact that the majority of people are tied to an ecosystem as a result of owning various products from the same manufacturer like Apple or relying heavily on services from a single source like Google.

Hence, this makes it difficult to either switch to another platform all together or switch to other products.
    09-13-14 08:37 PM

Thank you!!!! My Dept, my mother's and my father's ALL are not using BB10 yet. This is great news. Would only be better if they ditched the Z10 and only distributed the Z30 as still so many issues with Z10. But it is good news so thanks for sharing

Posted via CB10
    09-13-14 11:30 PM

True, but I feel it means that those with Apple TV, I pads, apple stereo docks, etc may take longer (one or two product life cycles) to switch over, than those with just a phone itself.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-14 11:48 PM
    Thank you!!!! My Dept, my mother's and my father's ALL are not using BB10 yet. This is great news. Would only be better if they ditched the Z10 and only distributed the Z30 as still so many issues with Z10. But it is good news so thanks for sharing

Posted via CB10
    Actually, I used to blame the Z10 too, but after upgrading the OS, it became obvious that the majority of heating, rebooting, and poor battery came from the original OS being mostly a dud.
    Today, my Z10 rips along with no issues. Admittedly, the battery was on the iPhone side of capacity, but I always had it plugged in while driving, so it was never an issue for me.

Just sayin'.
    09-14-14 12:07 AM
    ... Some more weekend OT munchies. Seems that even BGR is down on Apple coming up with much innovation:

"Apple CEO Tim Cook told Charlie Rose on Friday that there are products we're working on that no one knows about, yes that haven't been rumored about yet.

While Cook would obviously not go into any details about what these products are, it's safe to say that not everything that Apple is making in its laboratory will ever see the light of day. Typically we start hearing rumors about a product that Apple's been working on when the company feels confident enough in it that it starts telling outside sources. This was definitely the case with the iPad and the Apple Watch, although there have been some rumored products such as the aforementioned iTV and the iRing (ugh, remember that?) that seem confined to the fevered dreams of analysts.

That said, anyone looking for signs that an iTV might be coming in the future can take solace from the fact that Cook also told Rose that TV is one we continue to have great interest in,largely because Cook thinks that television sets are still ?stuck back in the 70s.

SOURCE:
    RE/CODE

End LOL/.
    09-14-14 12:44 AM
    I'm gonna drop 7000-10000$ on BlackBerry stock this week. Feeling good. Oh yeah baby!

Posted via CB10
    09-14-14 07:33 AM
    Fleece me! Fleece me!

"Bell has raisied prices for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus $5 across the board.

The iPhone 6 is now 264.95/374.95/484.95 for the 16/64/128GB versions...
    the iPhone 6 Plus is now 374.95/484.95/594.95 for the 16/64/128GB.

Telus and Rogers have also followed suit."
    09-14-14 09:38 AM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-1410701843161_964355.jpeg

"Movirtu purchase gives BlackBerry a whole new CloudPhone platform to infuse into their service offering.

Learn Up > http://berryflow.com/2014/09/blackbe...ices-strategy/

Awesome snag Chen. We'll be discussion the purchase in depth on Upstream tomorrow evening!"

BlackBerry Z30. The best smart phone.
    09-14-14 09:39 AM
    Fleece me! Fleece me!

"Bell has raisied prices for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus $5 across the board.

The iPhone 6 is now 264.95/374.95/484.95 for the 16/64/128GB versions...
    the iPhone 6 Plus is now 374.95/484.95/594.95 for the 16/64/128GB.

Telus and Rogers have also followed suit."
    I guess the demand is there and that 50 bucks is going to go right into there pockets and not apples

Posted via CB10
    09-14-14 11:39 AM
    I guess the demand is there and that 50 bucks is going to go right into there pockets and not apples

Posted via CB10
    Wait. Is that the on contract price or the full purchase price?

BB10 4 ME
    09-14-14 12:13 PM

BB10 4 ME
    Judging by the prices, I'd say price of phones on contract, I believe.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-14 12:18 PM

BB10 4 ME
    Those are the contract prices. The off contact prices are :

6 - $749/$859/$969
    6+ - $859/$969/$1079

These prices are the same at the big three.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-14 12:28 PM
107,433 ... 28352836283728382839 ...