View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

693 62.66%
  • No

413 37.34%
    For anyone that has an insight on the matter, but has the Canadian Dollar dropped in value? I was getting more for my shares when I bought at $9.01 compared to what BB is at right now. Just a bit odd.

This is CAD to GBP, btw

Posted via CB10
    07-17-14 12:11 PM
    The Economist's take on things

Nothing really new but for reference. Fairly long, I apologize.

Big Blue Apple

A novel alliance may reshape mobile computing for companies

WHEN he was the boss of Apple, Steve Jobs made little secret of his contempt for selling to big businesses. Once he even referred to their CIOs as chief information “orifices”, through which all orders must pass. Jobs felt that the best way for Apple to prosper was to focus on the consumer. But his successor, Tim Cook, has struck a much friendlier tone about corporate buyers, regularly boasting that Apple’s products are now used by almost all of the world’s largest companies.

They could soon be in use at many more firms. On July 15th Mr Cook and Virginia Rometty, the boss of IBM, said their companies were working together to develop more than 100 business-specific mobile applications for Apple’s iPhones and its iPad tablet computers. IBM’s employees will also serve as a sales force for Apple’s gear inside firms and provide on-site service for its devices.

The deal does more than bring together two companies that were once bitter foes: in the 1980s Apple’s advertising for its Mac personal computers portrayed Big Blue as an evil Big Brother figure. It also underlines the way in which devices developed for consumers have caught on in the corporate world. And the alliance piles pressure on other technology companies, from Apple’s rivals in devices and mobile operating-systems to IBM’s competitors in supplying software and services to businesses.

The rise of smartphones and tablets—and people’s desire to have one device for both business and personal use—has created a new market for corporate gadgetry and apps. Lots of companies have their eye on it, but none has conquered it. BlackBerry, a Canadian firm once synonymous with the corporate smartphone, has been swept aside by the demand for devices made by Apple or powered by Google’s Android operating system.

Despite the trend for people to bring their own devices to work, those corporate information orifices still have plenty of say. John Delaney of IDC, a research firm, says that the proportion of European companies saying they do not intend to let staff use their own devices has stabilised at around 40%. At the same time, some IT departments that have clung to BlackBerry—still the “gold standard” in security and device management, says Mr Delaney—are seeking alternatives.

Breaking Windows

One firm likely to be discomfited by the alliance of Apple and IBM is Microsoft (which was expected to announce big job cuts as we went to press). Its software is almost ubiquitous on corporate desktops, but it has been slow to adapt to a world of mobile workers. Its boss, Satya Nadella, is determined to fix this and said so in a long memo to staff on July 10th. Its mobile operating-system, Windows Phone, is a distant third behind Android and Apple’s iOS. A recent upgrade to Windows Phone introduced features that should make it more attractive to companies than older versions were, says Mr Delaney, but the deal between Apple and IBM will be a blow.

Google and Samsung of South Korea, the biggest maker of Android smartphones, which has been pushing into the enterprise market, will also have to get a move on. To overcome worries about Android’s security, Samsung has built a system called Knox into its devices. Last month Google said that it would embed the software elements of Knox in the next version of Android, which should help the operating system as a whole.

Thanks to the sheer popularity of its devices, Apple was probably better positioned than either Microsoft or Google and its allies already. But IBM’s distribution network and prowess in areas such as big-data analytics will give it an extra edge. The deal will allow Apple to focus mostly on making gadgets with consumer appeal, while ensuring corporate sales are not neglected. This matters now that businesses and governments spend $11 billion a year on iPads alone—about a third of Apple’s tablet sales, estimates Forrester Research.

An alliance with a strong consumer brand helps IBM, which has reported year-on-year declines in revenue for the past eight quarters. It also means that IBM’s rivals in supplying complex IT packages to big companies, such as Hewlett-Packard and Fujitsu, have some thinking to do. How much thinking may depend on how tight the relationship between Apple and IBM (where Mr Cook began his career) eventually becomes. Big Blue’s rivals may have to pursue similar deals—if not with Apple, then with Microsoft, Google or even BlackBerry. The scramble for corporate tech dollars has entered a new phase. Apple and IBM have given themselves a good chance of emerging on top.
    Corporate computing: Big Blue Apple | The Economist
    07-17-14 12:18 PM
    For anyone that has an insight on the matter, but has the Canadian Dollar dropped in value? I was getting more for my shares when I bought at $9.01 compared to what BB is at right now. Just a bit odd.

This is CAD to GBP, btw
    This may help:
    Canadian Dollar: CURRENCY:CAD quotes & news - Google Finance
    Bilaal, sidhuk, bungaboy and 1 others like this.
    07-17-14 12:35 PM
    Wondering about the '(un)cool effect' ?
    The verge's starting the dance ...

Watch Apple lay into IBM over the years | The Verge
    rarsen, sidhuk, bungaboy and 2 others like this.
    07-17-14 12:52 PM
    Is the Apple and IBM Partnership a Blessing in Disguise for Blackberry? (BBRY)

While this news may look bad for MobileIron and BlackBerry, it might actually be a blessing in disguise, at least for the latter.

MobileIron has no operational edge or other segments to protect it from the rise of larger competitors. Therefore, its stock losses and concerns could be very real. However, BlackBerry remains highly diversified with a large hardware business, a messaging platform with 100 million users that will be used with mobile payments, and a big data initiative called Project Ion that creates services from analytics. Plus, BlackBerry has $3.1 billion of cash and a patent portfolio worth billions, meaning the company has more than just MDM.
    07-17-14 01:02 PM
    Wondering about the '(un)cool effect' ?
    The verge's starting the dance ...

Watch Apple lay into IBM over the years | The Verge
    Told ya.
    07-17-14 01:04 PM
    07-17-14 01:27 PM
    Sorry for bombarding you guys, but more stuff on Africa (a pet peeve of mine):

Ventures Africa | Blackberry Fights Back With Z3 , But Can It Win?

I still have some reservations about what seem to be the Z3's pricing out there but time will tell.
    07-17-14 01:31 PM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-c0001db0d_47eaf260-0de1-11e4-a0f4-0200ac11f41f.jpg

Eye candy...
    sidhuk, bungaboy, Mr BBRY and 2 others like this.
    07-17-14 01:47 PM
    I just read on CNN ticker that Microsoft is going to do 18,000 layoffs, and most will be from the Nokia division. Making room for Blackberry, Microsoft?
    Last edited by JLagoon; 07-17-14 at 02:14 PM.
    sidhuk, bungaboy, Mr BBRY and 4 others like this.
    07-17-14 02:03 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C0001DB0D_47eaf260-0de1-11e4-a0f4-0200ac11f41f.jpg 
Views:	737 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	285554

Eye candy...
    Frick that's a nice looking tool...cant wait.

Eazzy Peazzy
    sidhuk, bungaboy, Mr BBRY and 2 others like this.
    07-17-14 02:12 PM
    Apologies if already posted...great read :
    http://berryflow.com/2014/07/apple-i...medium=twitter

Eazzy Peazzy
    rarsen, sidhuk, bungaboy and 2 others like this.
    07-17-14 02:24 PM
    More eye candy:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-blackberry-passport-spreadsheet-productivity.png

Eazzy Peazzy
    Corbu, sidhuk, bungaboy and 2 others like this.
    07-17-14 02:25 PM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-passport_bbryflow.jpg

Slick.

Not to belabor the point but does anyone really doubt the fact that if this device had been produced by Apple for say, their newfound friends - the IBM Enterprise Customers - people would be clamoring that it is revolutionary, outstanding, cool, etc.?
    07-17-14 02:34 PM
    All of these negative comments about Apple and IBM will do nothing to help the plight of Blackberry as that "whistling noise" is the air going by BBRY's ears as it falls even farther.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    07-17-14 02:44 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Passport_BBRYFLOW.jpg 
Views:	1373 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	285559

Slick.

Not to belabor the point but does anyone really doubt the fact that if this device had been produced by Apple for say, their newfound friends - the IBM Enterprise Customers - people would be clamoring that it is revolutionary, outstanding, cool, etc.?
    I humbly disagree. I believe if Apple came out with this phone, you would see quote after quote from the Isaacson book on what Jobs thought of BlackBerry and physical keyboards (a word that would get me a warning at the very least if I used it here) and how far Apple had strayed from his vision. I submit the iPad mini and how many times I read what Jobs said about 7" tablets as proof of my belief on this.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-17-14 02:51 PM
    All of these negative comments about Apple and IBM will do nothing to help the plight of Blackberry as that "whistling noise" is the air going by BBRY's ears as it falls even farther.
    Sensitive are we? Lol

Eazzy Peazzy
    07-17-14 02:54 PM
    Apple is down ...OMFG..is that a whistle sound???

Eazzy Peazzy
    bungaboy, sidhuk, jxnb and 5 others like this.
    07-17-14 02:57 PM
    Analyst Actions: Wells Fargo Keeps Market Peform Rating, US$11.30 Target on Blackberry After Apple/IBM Deal
    bungaboy, sidhuk, rarsen and 12 others like this.
    07-17-14 03:06 PM
    If you put lipstick on a pig, would you marry it?

That's what Apple just did with IBM.
    07-17-14 03:21 PM
    This news posted earlier seems either very convoluted, or I am not intelligent enough to decipher:

Stephen Elop's email to employees

Stephen is all over the map with this, but some seems to be a la John Chen playbook, and other blurbs are screaming "I don't have a clue, but we are going to just wing it and see"....

Either the CEO is a genius, or is delusional. Six Months in to this 'strategy' should answer the question.
    FWIW, Elop isn't the CEO of Microsoft. He's the head of the device division. Nadella, the CEO, laid out the vision not too long ago focusing on cloud and mobile.
    rarsen likes this.
    07-17-14 03:22 PM
    BlackBerry and Microsoft Partnering on ‘The Future of Mobile’

BlackBerry and Microsoft will be partnering as co-sponsors for ‘The Future of Mobile’ event held by Tech in Motion.

Their mobile summer series have invited a panel of mobile developers to discuss what the future holds for all things mobile. Panelists include:

Ryan Johnson, VP of Mobile Engineering at Buzzfeed

Ryan Johnson is the Vice President of Mobile Engineering at BuzzFeed, where he is in charge of the iOS, Android, and Mobile Web teams. Prior to BuzzFeed, Ryan was the Director of Technology at Hyper IQ and the VP of Engineering at Red Stamp. After being featured by Starbucks and Apple, Red Stamp was acquired by Taylor Corp in 2013. Passionate about mobile development, Ryan has been developing for the iPhone for the last five years

Manny Elawar, Blackberry Developer Evangelist at BlackBerry

Manny travels the globe in the hopes of finding talented developers eager to pursue new opportunities on the new and exciting BlackBerry 10 Platform. Manny’s technical background primarily includes C/C++ development for simulation tools, specifically in the areas of Mobile Device Management, BlackBerry Enterprise Server, and VoIP. He has an educational background in Software Engineering and Business Administration. Manny loves to travel, play music, organize social events, and spend time with friends and family. Fun Facts: Manny has been skydiving multiple times, traveled throughout Europe, and can solve a Rubik’s cube in under a minute…track him down and get him to show you!

Charles Schulze, Principal Engineer at Yahoo!

Charlie Schulze is a principal engineer currently working with Yahoo in NY on their new mobile products. Previously Charlie was with HBO working on the team that originally created and built HBO GO in NYC. Whenever there is an opportunity, nights and weekends are spent prototyping, tinkering, and developing mobile games. Over the past 14 years, he has had the opportunity to develop mobile and desktop applications for many of the worlds top brands including EA Games, Bloomberg, Puma, Harvard, AOL, HBO, ESPN, Adobe, and more.

Henry Kirk, Senior iOS Developer at Audible, an Amazon Company

Henry has been working on the iOS platform since Apple released the first SDK in 2008. Henry joined Audible’s iOS team in 2013, contributing to the company’s flagship iOS apps, as well as the new Audible integration within the Kindle iOS app. Prior to joining Audible, Henry had built nearly 50 apps, most notably SpeechBox for iPad, an app designed for children with speech and language disabilities. In 2013, SpeechBox was recognized by 148Apps as the “Best App Ever” in the Special Needs category. In his spare time, he enjoys spending time with his family and exploring Apple’s upcoming iOS 8 SDK.

Lee Edwards, Engineering Manager at Groupon

Lee is an engineering manager at Groupon in New York, responsible for GrouponLive, the ticketed event part of the business that includes concerts, theatre, sports, and family activities. Previously, he was the lead engineer at SideTour, which was acquired by Groupon last September. Groupon’s mobile business accounts for more than half of its transactions globally. Its native app has over 80 million downloads and is one of the top 25 all-time apps in the App Store. Groupon has also recently launched Gnome, a tablet-based platform that helps merchants run their businesses more effectively and understand their customers better.

The panelists will be moderated by Kaja Whitehouse, Technology Editor at The New York Post. Sponsors include BlackBerry, Microsoft, Syncano, and Applico.

The New York City portion of the summer series is being held tonight at 6:30pm. You can find out more details here.

BlackBerry and Microsoft Partnering on ‘The Future of Mobile’ | N4BB
    07-17-14 04:33 PM
    Frick that's a nice looking tool...cant wait.

Eazzy Peazzy
    That's what she said

Posted via CB10
    07-17-14 04:36 PM
    That's what she said

Posted via CB10
    And then I woke up. Lol

Eazzy Peazzy
    07-17-14 04:42 PM
    Very OT re: how high frequency trading is still alive and well on Wall Street:

Http://www.nanex.net/aqck2/4661.html

Nanex gives a time line of 24,800 shares of Ford offered for sale and a trade to buy 20,000 of those shares. About half the shares offered are canceled within 2 milliseconds and the trader only gets 12,133 of the shares filled.
    bungaboy, rarsen, zyben and 5 others like this.
    07-17-14 05:10 PM
105,494 ... 27372738273927402741 ...