1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    If you're going BRG, stick to the real deal
    http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/w...ps487d144b.jpg

My daily driver
    Very nice. How do you keep the hood ornament on it from being snatched?
    sidhuk and zyben like this.
    07-17-14 05:42 AM
    Thanks. I had to post the whole article here because it was such a good read!

BLACKBERRY: GAME OVER OR ADDED CREDIBILITY FOR ITS STRATEGY

Posted on July 16, 2014 by James Carlini | 6 Comments

With the announcement of the “partnership” of IBM (NYSE:IBM) and Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL), some dumped BlackBerry (NASDAQ:BBRY) stock overnight. Evidently, some don’t know the industry as well as they thought. Investors need to realize:
    ◾ Announcements are cheap. Deliverables aren’t.
    ◾ IBM/Apple partnership does demonstrate BlackBerry has right strategy and has identified a real niche.
    ◾ Competition is good. It moves the markets. Product development accelerates and consumers are the real winners.

Some BlackBerry investors got the message, “Game Over” when they should be looking at this announcement as, “Game On – this is a real market niche“. Take it one step further in analysis and you see major players saying, “We have to get into this game because it is critical for us”.

WEDDINGS ARE EASY. MARRIAGES TAKE TIME

An article stating that Apple and IBM are going to partner to provide a better enterprise-wide solution and better mobile security for business customers is a big announcement, but that’s all it is, an announcement.

IBM will provide services via Apple’s iOS including device management, security, analytics and mobile integration. IBM will also create 100 exclusive business applications for the iPhone (and iPads) to be sold to its business customers.

Where are the deliverables of this marriage and did customers buy into the products?

It is too early to measure any success, just like it is too early to measure the success of BlackBerry’s initiatives.

Reading through so many investor comments, who are both short and long, I see criticisms that had questioned BlackBerry’s strategy. Now, it seems as though two major players, IBM and Apple, are blessing that strategy and saying, “Yes, there is validity to that strategy and we have to come up with some solutions.” “I understand the market and have a product that fits” is a statement which is much further along than “We agree that there is a market niche and we will be building some products in the future”.

Building products takes time. Making sure they work takes more time. What will the “marriage” of IBM and Apple produce? Only time will tell. Maybe everyone should take a deep breath and remember a good quote from Hal Geneen, the former CEO of ITT:

In business, words are words, Explanations are explanations, Promises are promises, but only Performance is reality.

John Chen (CEO of BlackBerry) did not die. His vision is still viable. He needs time to execute his strategy just as much as IBM and Apple now have to have time to deliver on their big announcement.

This reminds me of when Apple first introduced the iPhone and there was both skepticism that it would sell along with those who looked at all the other phones in the industry and said, “Game Over”.(see article – wtnnews.com/articles/3612

Real competitors did not sit around. Real competitors came out with products that matched and surpassed Apple. The ones who really benefited from that competition were the customers and the overall industry.

NO ONE HAS A CRYSTAL BALL

No one has a crystal ball, so no one can say, “Game Over”. If anything, this announcement lends credibility to BlackBerry having a real market niche and the “big players” need to get into that game.

The big question should be, will BlackBerry partner up with someone else or continue on its own path? No one knows that answer except John Chen.

CARLINI-ISM: Just remember, you’re not an expert in the Smartphone industry because you bought one and now know how to play “Angry Birds” on it.
    07-17-14 05:50 AM
    On the Z3 in Nigeria:

I have been following the launch of the Z3 in Nigeria and it seems to be going on sale today at a price of 45,995 NGN (US$284)
    BlackBerry Z3 - Black

It had been available on preorder for 39,900 NGN (US$245)
    Blackberry Z3 | Konga Nigeria

I seem to recall the Z3 was priced around those levels in India. I hope it was priced right for launch. I suspect the price will progressively come down.

I haven't yet had the time to do a similar follow-up on South Africa and India.
    07-17-14 06:19 AM
    07-17-14 06:25 AM
    http://www.techtree.com/content/news...perfectly.html

Fair....couple unseen pics.

Eazzy Peazzy
    bungaboy, Corbu, sidhuk and 2 others like this.
    07-17-14 06:36 AM
    I wonder if this Apple /IBM announcement was the response to the German leak about a next generation Blackberry that can run a QNX desktop and technically run all POSIX compliant Unix apps.

The concept is very innovative and would be the must have device for any serious IT Professional.

This would clearly be the best tool for enterprise and Apple needed to partner with IBM to step it up as well.

What do you guys think? I think it was leaked and then brushed away. Specs were lowered and then Manitoba suddenly became a Z3 for north America. :s

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, jxnb, rarsen and 5 others like this.
    07-17-14 06:40 AM
    Never know. Lol

Eazzy Peazzy
    07-17-14 06:45 AM
    Also...this guy did a great job here, but, I wish they would stop with the perpetual "one final attempt" verbage.
    http://m.t3.com/news/blackberrys-pas...tyle-assistant

Eazzy Peazzy
    Bacon Munchers and zyben like this.
    07-17-14 06:46 AM
    Also...this guy did a great job here, but, I wish they would stop with the perpetual "one final attempt" verbage.
    BlackBerry's Passport phone to get its own Siri-style assistant | T3

Eazzy Peazzy
    "clawing at the roof of a coffin" . . . Depends on which side!
    07-17-14 06:57 AM
    "clawing at the roof of a coffin" . . . Depends on which side!
    I know eh...but the positive that I take away from the couple I posted here is there appears to be legitimate surprise how nice this strange bird really is. I'm thinking it will be hit.

Eazzy Peazzy
    bungaboy, sidhuk and zyben like this.
    07-17-14 07:11 AM
    Microsoft cutting 18k jobs. Yikes.
    bungaboy, rarsen, Corbu and 4 others like this.
    07-17-14 07:18 AM
    Yep, almost all in the Nokia departments.
    07-17-14 07:21 AM
    There is something odd with this Apple/IBM partnership.
    IBM wants to make business software for iPhone/iPad? Exclusively for Apple devices?
    This might be interesting for companies who already run an Apple-only strategy, but most companies have several platforms runnig, and IBMs competitiors will have a crossplatform-solutions, so why should an IBM customer narrow it's device strategy to Apple only? At the end of the day IBM needs to provide the same software for Android and other platforms. So why doe's this partnership make sense at all for IBM?
    Is IBM thinking, Apple products is what actually everybody wants, and this partnership will wipe Android and other platforms away, LOL?
    07-17-14 07:22 AM
    Indeed. Thanks. Was just about to post this:
    Ax Falls at Microsoft as Company Looks to Cut Up to 18,000 Jobs | Re/code
    rarsen, sidhuk and zyben like this.
    07-17-14 07:23 AM
    Yep, almost all in the Nokia departments.
    Definitely shows that Microsoft isn't interested in making devices long term imo.
    theRock1975 likes this.
    07-17-14 07:25 AM
    = ~14% of employees

Employees

Worldwide = 127,104
    USA = 61,313
    Puget Sound (Washington State) = 43,031
    07-17-14 07:26 AM
    Definitely shows that Microsoft isn't interested in making devices long term imo.
    Foxconn type deal?
    zyben likes this.
    07-17-14 07:27 AM
    Off the top of my head - about a 1/3 of the transferred nokia staff will be laid off (there were about 30,000 of them) - I would guess they will outsource mobile product.
    07-17-14 07:29 AM
    With all this major news being released about competition i hope BBRY is sitting on some big news
    07-17-14 07:31 AM
    Foxconn type deal?
    They still have some of their own hardware design but not as extensive as Nokia's. Also interesting, they're moving their Nokia X devices from Android to Windows Phone.
    07-17-14 07:39 AM
    Really moving means "killing" - Nokia X might hang around for a bit as a sub-brand of Lumia but I doubt for long.

Few more details here:

Stephen Elop's email to employees
    Last edited by cgk; 07-17-14 at 08:00 AM.
    Bacon Munchers likes this.
    07-17-14 07:50 AM
    Morgan,
    Any updated charts you can provide? Thanks in advance.
    07-17-14 08:14 AM
    OT: Privacy related

Rogers to require warrants for police requests

Rogers to require warrants for police requests - The Globe and Mail
    cjcampbell, zyben and sidhuk like this.
    07-17-14 08:23 AM
    If the apple/IBM deal is really soo bad for bbry and warrants a 12 percent drop then that would mean its a positive for ibm and apple and you'd seem that in there SP. This news was just used so they could push the price down nothing more. Smoke and mirrors at its best
    07-17-14 08:24 AM
    there is a huge backlog of trades building on BB.CA this morning, waiting for the market to open.
    sidhuk likes this.
    07-17-14 08:25 AM
113,250 ... 27352736273727382739 ...