Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    The stock is creeping back up, slowly. $10.84
    07-16-14 07:42 AM
    ON CNBC NOW...Treas. Sect. Lack Lew at SA conf. speaking about internet security concerns.
    Corbu, Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    07-16-14 07:43 AM
    Wells Fargo defending BBRY " thinks blackberrys base is defensible since those who choose to continue to use blackberry use it for specifice reasons like security, the keyboard,lower roaming costs, etc...
    morganplus8, Corbu, rarsen and 6 others like this.
    07-16-14 07:48 AM
    ON CNBC NOW...Treas. Sect. Lack Lew at SA conf. speaking about internet security concerns.
    What Jack Lew is saying is a SCREAMING endorsement of BBRY.
    07-16-14 07:52 AM
    OT, again
    I apologize for this OT stuff but I thought this worthwhile for those of us with an interest in biotechs, etc.

In a separate monetary policy report released as part of the Fed's semi-annual testimony in front of Congress, the Fed wrote: "Valuation metrics in some sectors do appear substantially stretched - particularly those for smaller firms in the social media and biotechnology industries, despite a notable downturn in equity prices for such firms early in the year."
    BBC News - Federal Reserve warns of overvalued social media stocks

Back to regularly scheduled programming...
    07-16-14 08:12 AM
    crackerdoodle, I believe this is the link to Jack Lew on CNBC

Challenges of cybersecurity: Lew - CNBC

Transcript:

without a doubt, the internet has revolutionized the way we conduct our lives and the way we do business. from making a bank deposit, buying a book and providing a medical diagnosis to restocking the shelf of a grocery store, filing tacks, and trading stock. but this transformation, which has spun incredible waves of innovation and entrepreneurship spun new waves. we have to fortify against these dangers. it will be a central test going forward how well we do that. everyone in this room knows cyber intrusions are not some hypothetical event on the horizon. they were real. and they're happening every single day. these incidents represent a direct threat to our economic and national security, perpetrated by state and non-state actors around the world with growing intensity and increasing sophistication. and while many are just gearing up their defense, some banks are already spending as much as $250 million a year to strengthen their cyber security. the consequences of cyber incidents are serious. when credit card data is stolen, it disturbs lives and damages consumer confidence. when trade secrets are robbed, it undercuts america's businesses and underpines u.s. competitiveness. and successful attacks on our financial system would compromise market confidence, jeopardize the integrity of data and pose a threat to financial stability. cyber intrusion is far reaching consequences, recently, cyber criminals stole credit cards from retailers like target, neiman marcus and michaels affected more than 100 million customer accounts. hackerings accessed a.p.'s twitter account and announce as false alert saying there had been an attack on the white house, which drove down the dow down three minutes temporarily erasing roughly $130 billion of value from u.s. stockmarkets. since 2011, we have seen more than 250 distributed denial of service attacks against u.s. banks and credit unions overwhelming systems, and forcing some websites to go offline. the united nations government assesses these denial of service attacks represent a sophisticated threat, almost certainly intended to disrupt the u.s. financial system. it does not take much to imagine the impact of those attacks on u.s. banks, if they have penetrated core operational functions rather than temporarily disrupting websites and examiner log-in pages. cyber attacks on our financial system represent a real threat to our economic and national security. but a ma less cyber actor can cause psychological damage to our financial system without wage attacking a bank. risks to the system can be found at the vendors, suppliers and contractors who keep our financial system running. they can be found in industries that underpin the marks like telecommunications and energy and they can be found across the physical infrastructure that supports the economy like our entertainment system and water supply. these related companies, industries and utilities rely on a network of computer systems and an incursion at a strategic point along the network could lead to market disruption and massive harm. from our experience with accidental failures, we know the stakes are high. for instance, the largest power disruption in person history occurred in 2003 after a computer system malfunctioned in the control room of an ohio based electric utility company. 50 million people were plunged into dark ness as cascading power overloads caused the shut down to spread from toledo, loichlt to new york city. the outage contributed to the death of 11 people. it shut down trading and exchanges and it cost workers and investors more than $4 billion in wages and income. while this blackout was not the result of a cyber attack. it demonstrates our exposure and the importance of strengthen computer defenses.
    07-16-14 08:18 AM
    Just a reminder: The next short numbers to be released on the 24th of July are upto yesterday's close. (does not include Aapl/ibm) news.

Posted via CB10
    rarsen, bungaboy, zyben and 1 others like this.
    07-16-14 08:25 AM
    Yes it is, thank you. Kramer also asked about risks of security in the IOT and how someone can crash a tessla remotely from their cell phone.
    07-16-14 08:26 AM
    crackerdoodle, I believe this is the link to Jack Lew on CNBC

Transcript:
    While BlackBerry is all about security and secure data transmission, there is a huge difference in most of the systems he talked about and BlackBerry. And right now I don't trust my Z10 to keep my contact straight, I sure wouldn't want BlackBerry to be in charge of 100 million customer accounts....

Part of what he talked about was reliability.... BlackBerry has had their own outages too, that took longer to fix and was even more preventable. And opened the eyes to many about the dangers of being tied to a single network.
    07-16-14 08:30 AM
    While BlackBerry is all about security and secure data transmission, there is a huge difference in most of the systems he talked about and BlackBerry. And right now I don't trust my Z10 to keep my contact straight, I sure wouldn't want BlackBerry to be in charge of 100 million customer accounts....

Part of what he talked about was reliability.... BlackBerry has had their own outages too, that took longer to fix and was even more preventable. And opened the eyes to many about the dangers of being tied to a single network.
    Yada yada yada on the contacts thing...there is a fix available, you know there is a fix available and yet use every opportunity to bring up old news...

The contacts issue is a legacy of having to integrate with "other " email providers systems...they got caught sleeping...old news.

Question...which OS platform are you going to trust with your banking info?

Eazzy Peazzy
    07-16-14 08:45 AM
    IBM/ a p p le will fade into obscurity...per cnbc
    07-16-14 08:45 AM
    When Apple and IBM step up, it puts pressure on Microsoft, Google and SAP. Blackberry will become more attractive candidate for them to acquire.

I was trying to buy more with a limit-buy order set at 10.46. Will see the order can be filled today or not.
    07-16-14 08:49 AM
    I said ages ago that it would be folly for BlackBerry to retreat into the enterprise castle and hug the silver while kingdom burns all around them. Thank goodness they don't seem to be doing that.

Of course other big players are going to go after BlackBerry's turf. If BlackBerry launch and sell great devices, as well as provide great services, they'll remain flexible and safe, and there won't be any reason to fear Apple, who won't be trusted outside of the US by the really big companies/countries.

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag and laketrout73 like this.
    07-16-14 08:51 AM
    Bbry holds the trump cards in the form of ECC and QNX... Apple is just gonna have to fake enterprise with their software driven kernel with AES security. Listening to the news this morning, suggests the media is still ignorant of BlackBerry's strengths.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-14 08:53 AM
    We are officially out of the overbought territory on the 3-month chart!
    zyben and Mr BBRY like this.
    07-16-14 08:55 AM
    07-16-14 09:02 AM
    What Jack Lew is saying is a SCREAMING endorsement of BBRY.
    Well if our government is smart enough to endorse Blackberry all must be fine . . . . .Oh WAIT!
    07-16-14 09:26 AM
    IBM/ a p p le will fade into obscurity...per cnbc
    CNBC should know all about "fading into obscurity"
    Bacon Munchers likes this.
    07-16-14 09:28 AM
    Price seems to be holding steady as people try to digest the news...
    07-16-14 09:29 AM
    Is All of Apple's Good News Actually Good?

Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) is rising sharply in pre-market action on two pieces of news, one definitely positive and one possibly positive:

1. Yesterday after the close, Apple and IBM (NYSE:IBM) announced a partnership to promote IBM software, big data, and cloud services on iOS devices within the enterprise. IBM will create more than 100 industry-specific enterprise solutions, including native apps for iPhone and iPad. IBM will also optimize cloud services for iOS, including device management and security initiatives. A new AppleCare service and support offering will also be created.

And very importantly, IBM will sell iPhones and iPads directly to clients as part of industry-specific solutions. This is great news because it gives Apple a new sales channel that complements Apple's existing enterprise and bring-your-own-device (BYOD) presences.

BlackBerry (NASDAQ:BBRY) is getting beaten up on the news; it's down about 5% in pre-market trading, presumably because people think this news will push BlackBerry out of more enterprises.

However, expectations for BlackBerry were already extraordinarily low, and plenty of enterprises still need to support BlackBerry and Google (NASDAQ:GOOG) Android devices. Nothing's going to change overnight as a result of this press release.

BlackBerry is also increasingly being perceived as an Internet of Things play. That adds two elements to the story: a potential new growth opportunity, and appeal as an acquisition target.

I'm considering going long BlackBerry this morning -- I'll update on the Buzz & Banter should I take action.

Is All Of Apple's Good News Actually Good? | From The Buzz & Banter | Minyanville's Wall Street
    07-16-14 09:30 AM
    Yada yada yada on the contacts thing...there is a fix available, you know there is a fix available and yet use every opportunity to bring up old news...

The contacts issue is a legacy of having to integrate with "other " email providers systems...they got caught sleeping...old news.

Question...which OS platform are you going to trust with your banking info?

Eazzy Peazzy
    Yada, yada, yada.... will you please start sharing that fix with all of us. There are usually a post or two in the Unanswered Thread section every day or so about contact issue - I image with the Verizon update there will be more. I'm sure users would appreciate your helping them solve their problem.

Does what OS Platform I use matter more than, who I hand my credit card to at a restaurant? I don't know anyone who has had their online account hacked.... but I know several people that have had their credit card info stolen from a business or a server at a restaurant.

And to be honest I still use Windows for most Banking and online purchases.... and I know it isn't secure, is Android or iOS any worse (only apps my Bank supports)?
    07-16-14 09:40 AM
    How so, isn't the whole purpose of being a public company to create value for shareholders?

Same thing that Chen has been talking about lately. Focusing on delivering value to shareholders.
    Well, first off, BlackBerry has a clear direction and new technology behind it's albeit small momentum.

Apple, on the other hand, has enormous momentum, but is questionable loosing grip. Hard to tell with their SP with the split and buy-back system in play.
    This seems more like a panic-play by Apple, and people smarter than me seem to be scratching their heads on exactly what the IBM fit is here.
    I have no doubt that Apple has the muscle to play this out, but to what outcome is now the question.
    07-16-14 09:43 AM
    Better picture of comparing size.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-passport.jpeg

Posted using Z30. Best of the best Smart phone in the world.
    07-16-14 09:54 AM

You don't see how Beats being already maybe the number one iDevice Accessory is a good move?

You don't see how teaming with IBM is a good move to expand their already #1 position in the business market?

Apples direction is to expand and build on what they are already doing. One or both may end up hurting them, but both are meant to expand what they are already doing.....they didn't just spend money for the sake of spending money.
    True, but I think most folks here are a bit skeptical with Apples' current ability to innovate within; sans Steve J.
    BlackBerry, one the other hand, is doing nothing but innovate. So it seems to me that both sides have major plays in motion, and time will be the proving factor.

I for one just wish we could all go about it without analysts running a muck and trying scare tactics. I know, it's part of the game, I guess.
    07-16-14 09:54 AM
    Yada, yada, yada.... will you please start sharing that fix with all of us. There are usually a post or two in the Unanswered Thread section every day or so about contact issue - I image with the Verizon update there will be more. I'm sure users would appreciate your helping them solve their problem.

Does what OS Platform I use matter more than, who I hand my credit card to at a restaurant? I don't know anyone who has had their online account hacked.... but I know several people that have had their credit card info stolen from a business or a server at a restaurant.

And to be honest I still use Windows for most Banking and online purchases.... and I know it isn't secure, is Android or iOS any worse (only apps my Bank supports)?
    Seriously??? http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/...blackberry-z10

FYI...I personally know many who have had their data mined, including nefarious use of credit card info.

Eazzy Peazzy
    07-16-14 09:55 AM
113,250 ... 27312732273327342735 ...