View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

693 62.66%
  • No

413 37.34%
    I think that eventually Android will not be free. Google will start making their own hardware and Samsung will either pay for Android licensing or seek another alternative (BB10 or proceed with their own OS). Other OEMs are currently losing money on Android.
    Or so they are already the biggest android player, they simply fork android and set up their own marketplace - which is the amazon model.
    02-27-13 10:16 AM
    Android has never really been free - yes if you want stock AOSP, then *maybe* it is free (but microsoft or patent trolls comes after you) but if you want to bundle the important google apps (including the play market) then you pay a fee. I seem to remember reading somewhere (I'll try and dig it out) that even after paying google for the apps and microsoft for patent protection it *still* worked out cheaper than a WP licence.
    Hmm, I am not sure. So the OEMs pay for the patents, not Google? I really can't see anyone wanting to pay for a WP license, well besides Nokia.
    02-27-13 10:42 AM
    Lets do some math. Assume the following
    Canada: 5000 stores * 2 units * 14 days = ~140K
    UK: assume the same ~140K
    UAE: just few days ~50K
    Spain & Portugal: just few days ~10K
    India: Just started with a price tag $800. 2000 stores in 50cities * 2 units * 2 days = ~8K

It comes to ~340Ks but not millions or even a half of million.
    Great numbers. They are completely ridiculous when compared to reality and they don't even make sense when compared one to another. It's like logic escapes you.

UK and Canada sold the same yet one has double the population and saw the Z10 on sale for almost a week longer.
    The Emirates have a population of about 8MM with at least half of those being poor immigrant workers that make less 200 usd a month. Yet you figure they sold a third of UK/CA numbers. And you're not even done yet, there's also Spain and Portugal with 10k.

Just in case your reading is as good as you're with numbers:

4MM (at most) bought 50k phones
    60MM bought 10k

Them numbers...

Posted via CB10
    fedakd likes this.
    02-27-13 10:42 AM
    Samsung knows this and has heavily invested in their own Tizen OS, it is as fast as BB 10 regarding HTLM5 but the software is the ugliest thing out there by a country mile. When I look at the UI on Tizen I see Samsung leasing BB 10 from BlackBerry. They have done a terrible job of bringing Tizen to market and it shows you how advanced BlackBerry and QNX really are. I personally think it is fast on HTML5 only because it is an empty OS to begin with. QNX/BB 10 is really something for the next generation and apps developers are feeling it too.
    I have to agree. In my view, the whole lack of apps issue right now for BB10 is temporary. HTML5 is the future for app development and BB/QNX is best positioned for it.
    morganplus8 and bungaboy like this.
    02-27-13 10:46 AM
    Samsung knows this and has heavily invested in their own Tizen OS, it is as fast as BB 10 regarding HTLM5 but the software is the ugliest thing out there by a country mile. When I look at the UI on Tizen I see Samsung leasing BB 10 from BlackBerry. They have done a terrible job of bringing Tizen to market and it shows you how advanced BlackBerry and QNX really are. I personally think it is fast on HTML5 only because it is an empty OS to begin with. QNX/BB 10 is really something for the next generation and apps developers are feeling it too.
    So you think Samsung would pay for BB10, a closed OS, without apps, with a brand that is deteriorated, rather than paying for Android that dominate the market, have a big ecosystem, is open source, where Samsung is well positioned, and a has lot of development?

That make no sense.
    barnfoot and sentimentGX4 like this.
    02-27-13 10:48 AM
    So you think Samsung would pay for BB10, a closed OS, without apps, with a brand that is deteriorated, rather than paying for Android that dominate the market, have a big ecosystem, is open source, where Samsung is well positioned, and a has lot of development?

That make no sense.
    how can OS10 be deteriorating if it did not even get started yet? perhaps in two years you could make that claim not Now
    02-27-13 11:08 AM

That make no sense.
    I think he's suggesting that in due time, if BB10 gets adopted and proves itself as a contender (as it is in the process of trying to do now), then this can be a potential licensing partnership that can make sense for both companies. Nowhere is he suggesting that Samsung would be considering this NOW, only if BB proves itself as viable.... because the writing is on the wall that Samsung cannot depend on the Android free ride forever.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    02-27-13 11:08 AM
    30 days is the rule after you setup your account at RBC Direct Investing. If you don't have the paperwork to them by then it is frozen.
    02-27-13 11:13 AM
    I think what's interesting concerning the argument is that Tizen appears to be following BB into the HTML5 direction for their apps...that would basically orphan their existing eco system...kind of says allot about their (Sammys) long term goals Imo. The exciting point being BB is a fantastic platform for any new apps they develop into the HTML5 landscape...making life better for everyone.
    02-27-13 11:14 AM
    Good call man. Can you elaborate on which stores you talked to and what they exactly said?
    The stores were all in the downtown area along the main drag and in the connected underground area. I went into maybe 8 stores and checked out a lot of the kiosks, all the big names, Virgin Mobile, Rogers, etc. I heard comments like, great camera features, ideal size (not too big), plenty of positive comments on the keyboard, a couple of comments about the lack of a home button and that it may take some time to learn how to drive it but once you did it was faster. All in all positive.
    I got a demo in one of the Rogers stores, they seem to have one guy focused on it, he knew his stuff and was BBM'ing a Blackberry sales person who was roaming the underground stores (eventually met her) and showing off BBM video, screen share, etc.

I wasn't in the position to purchase one as I am with Verizon in the US and plan to get the Q10 so didn't get into a lot of detail on cost / plans, etc, except that it didn't look like I could get one off contract.

A few of the guys at the kiosks weren't paying much attention to me / Z10, but I did add a link to the Rachelle Wilde video to the browser and showed them it, and when finished left the browser open / active with the video playing.

My 18 year old son was with me, he was checking out the S3, Note2, etc but want's the Z10 when it comes out on Verizon. He currently has the 9930.
    02-27-13 11:29 AM
    I think he's suggesting that in due time, if BB10 gets adopted and proves itself as a contender (as it is in the process of trying to do now), then this can be a potential licensing partnership that can make sense for both companies. Nowhere is he suggesting that Samsung would be considering this NOW, only if BB proves itself as viable.... because the writing is on the wall that Samsung cannot depend on the Android free ride forever.
    Samsung would pay a fee for Android rather than paying the same fee for BB10. Samsung can even fork Android as Amazon does.
    I see zero chances that Samsung could license BB10, in fact they are investing to bring the good features of BB10 to Android:

"BlackBerry split the personality of its Z10 smartphone to include business and pleasure, in a bid to give its core enterprise users secure access to the kind of fun apps, games and features that sell iPhones and Android devices.

Now Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd is doing the same, announcing on Monday new software that will store corporate apps and data in an encrypted container separate from the rest of the device’s operating system."
    BlackBerry faces new rival as Samsung launches enterprise offering | FP Tech Desk | Financial Post
    02-27-13 11:33 AM
    This needs the volume pumped way up....try Sayit...it's an app in BB World (and they talked about it in the blogs yesterday). This thing is fre_cking wonderful...what a great tool. Makes Siri look ridiculous (in Canada anyway)...I've been conversing in Italian, Germany and Russian all morning...and I don't speak any of them lol Ask for any type of restaurant near by and it tells you, how many bones in your body...no problem...where is the library, boom.

This is blowing me and people I've shared it with away, it's worth buying the Z10 just for this Imo...wish I knew about this last week when we were south...would have made life allot easier.
    02-27-13 11:35 AM
    Makes Siri look ridiculous (in Canada anyway)...
    I just asked it "How many goals did Wayne Gretzky score in 1988" and it didn't know how to answer. CANADA FAIL. But it did answer "How heavy is the moon?", so there's that.

j/k, it is pretty awesome. The voice recognition has been perfect in the 5minutes I've been playing with it.
    Shanerredflag and randall2580 like this.
    02-27-13 12:00 PM
    @Morganplus8 - don't forget the longs look at the charts too and know the important numbers and defend as well as the shorts attack. It's an interesting game so far and it looking like momentum calmed down a bit today but I would watch for another late push after the lull.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    02-27-13 12:09 PM
    Will Sayit tell you how many z10s have sold?
    02-27-13 12:10 PM
    I just asked it "How many goals did Wayne Gretzky score in 1988" and it didn't know how to answer. CANADA FAIL. But it did answer "How heavy is the moon?", so there's that.

j/k, it is pretty awesome. The voice recognition has been perfect in the 5minutes I've been playing with it.
    LOL...but it does know how many grams of fat in a quarter pounder....who prioritized this thing?
    02-27-13 12:16 PM
    Will Sayit tell you how many z10s have sold?
    Yes, 50% more than any previous BlackBerry launch and above internal expectations. Oh and BTW, way more than 300,000
    Shanerredflag and DragonFlyer like this.
    02-27-13 12:16 PM
    It's amazing how resistant AAPL is against bad news.

Apple Inc (NASDAQ:AAPL) recently acknowledged a rather complex but alarming bug that was discovered just before iOS 6.1.2 was released. The bug allowed someone to bypass the passcode on your iOS devices lock screen and gain access to the Phone app, exposing your call log and contacts. The bug is definitely a security risk but it was so complex to exploit, involving many difficult gestures that needed to be carried out with precision that few people were worried about it. The bug was not patched in iOS 6.1.2 and is expected to be patched iiOS 6.1.3 which should be released shortly.

Unfortunately for those who thought this first bug was nothing to worry about and that Apple Inc (NASDAQ:AAPL) would soon patch it up, a second bug has been discovered which, like the previous one, exploits the passcode on your lock screen. Unlike the previous bug which allowed a hacker or thief access to your phone app, this bug puts more of your information at risk. It allows a hacker access to the data stored on your device via a USB connection.

You need iTunes to be able to gain access and there are some precisely timed gestures involved here as well but the flaw is there and has been reproduced several times by hacktivits and bloggers alike. You can read the full procedure for the hack here.

The previous bug was patched because it is very likely it was discovered too late for it to be fixed in iOS 6.1.2 (which was about to roll out). It looks like the same will happen for the new bug. iOS 6.1.3 (which is rumoured to break the evasi0n jailbreak exploit) is about to be rolled out soon and it doesnt seem like Apple Inc (NASDAQ:AAPL) will have enough time to roll out a fix for this bug with this update.
    When you have $150 BILLION in cash, it'll take mountains of bad news to start moving it's stock.
    dusdal likes this.
    02-27-13 12:30 PM
    Is this the same apple that is down $200/share this year?

Seems to me, they are being affected by, not just bad news, but speculation.
    02-27-13 12:35 PM
    I just saw this now:

<<< Post says feds warn workers about RIM's BlackBerry

2013-02-27 09:01 ET - In the News

The Financial Post reports in its Wednesday edition the federal department charged with overseeing cyber-security has warned its workers to think twice before sending a BlackBerry message. Postmedia's Jordan Press writes that a policy memo from Public Safety Canada, updated in mid-January, attempts to dissuade government BlackBerry users from sending a PIN-to-PIN message largely because it could be read by any BlackBerry user, anywhere in the world. The messages are "the most vulnerable method of communicating on a BlackBerry," a Public Safety Canada presentation says. The documents say PIN-to-PIN messaging is not "suitable for exchanging sensitive messages" because protected or classified information could be inadvertently leaked, or a mobile user could inadvertently download malware or viruses that would compromise their phone. Almost two-thirds of federal government mobile users in Canada prefer to use the BlackBerry. The concentration of BlackBerry users is even more pronounced among federal politicians, with most cabinet ministers opting to use the BlackBerry. Despite encryption, "Any BlackBerry device can potentially decrypt all PIN-to-PIN messages sent by any other BlackBerry device," said the memo. >>>>

How does this become a negative?
    02-27-13 12:36 PM
    Is this the same apple that is down $200/share this year?

Seems to me, they are being affected by, not just bad news, but speculation.
    It's been down because people thought Apple could continue it's huge growth, but then people realized growth was not going up at their predicted rate. Kind of like looking out when it's snowing, seeing it's 10cm in 1 hour, 20cm in 2 hours, and you assume it's going to be 100cm in 10 hours. Except at some point it's going to stop snowing, the sun is going to come out and you're right back at 0.
    02-27-13 12:40 PM
    ^^^someone wrote about a policy memo...go figure...it's been policy for years and I think it was meant as a reminder to staff in that department. Great thread over in general about it.

In a nutshell...BES if fully protected while active within server, BIS not so much
    Last edited by Shanerredflag; 02-27-13 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Add BES
    bungaboy likes this.
    02-27-13 12:44 PM
    Green ....
    02-27-13 12:46 PM
    I just saw this now:

<<< Post says feds warn workers about RIM's BlackBerry

2013-02-27 09:01 ET - In the News

The Financial Post reports in its Wednesday edition the federal department charged with overseeing cyber-security has warned its workers to think twice before sending a BlackBerry message. Postmedia's Jordan Press writes that a policy memo from Public Safety Canada, updated in mid-January, attempts to dissuade government BlackBerry users from sending a PIN-to-PIN message largely because it could be read by any BlackBerry user, anywhere in the world. The messages are "the most vulnerable method of communicating on a BlackBerry," a Public Safety Canada presentation says. The documents say PIN-to-PIN messaging is not "suitable for exchanging sensitive messages" because protected or classified information could be inadvertently leaked, or a mobile user could inadvertently download malware or viruses that would compromise their phone. Almost two-thirds of federal government mobile users in Canada prefer to use the BlackBerry. The concentration of BlackBerry users is even more pronounced among federal politicians, with most cabinet ministers opting to use the BlackBerry. Despite encryption, "Any BlackBerry device can potentially decrypt all PIN-to-PIN messages sent by any other BlackBerry device," said the memo. >>>>

How does this become a negative?
    Haha. It's also a negative when the messages are too encrypted for governments to intercept. Go figure...
    morganplus8 and bungaboy like this.
    02-27-13 12:46 PM
    Haha. It's also a negative when the messages are too encrypted for governments to intercept. Go figure...
    It's stories like these that make me feel like I'm in bizzaro world. Then again, it shows how desperate the bears are if this is the best they can come up with.
    bungaboy and dusdal like this.
    02-27-13 12:56 PM
105,335 ... 266267268269270 ...