View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

694 62.52%
  • No

416 37.48%
    OT but for those interested in Tesla S cars for investments or simply love the type of vehicle.

Am presently on a business trip in Trondheim, Norway and see several Tesla S on the road. Seems that they have recently been declared the highest bought among new vehicles in Norway. This is most probably helped by government's support of no sales tax on electric vehicles and the authorization to use taxi & bus lanes. Sorry that I don't have the cash or sufficient space on my way back.

Am in the land of the midnight sun, eagerly waiting that John Chen announces good news with subsequent increasing of the value of our shares, so that I can dream a bit. And also good vibes for Morgan.
    :
    Welcome to my country! And yeah! Tesla is literally everywhere now. Its Norways most sold car, and Tesla's second biggest marked after the U.S!

Black cards, Black cars - All BlackBerry-thing!
    06-17-14 06:06 PM
    The new storefront in Vancouver is pretty awesome looking as well.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-img_20140616_220010.jpg

At night they leave the show car's LED lights on. Very appealing setup.

Dominate the MCAT C0012A8A6
    06-17-14 06:15 PM
    And again, for the record, the FP's pretty standard take on things...

BlackBerry Ltd under pressure to restore investor confidence in Q1 results | Financial Post

BlackBerry Ltd. chief executive John Chen has taken bold steps in his attempt to revive the technology company — from outsourcing production of its smartphones to selling the bulk of its Canadian real estate.

But even if he is confident he can “save the patient,” as he told an industry conference recently, Mr. Chen still has his work cut out for him to put BlackBerry back on Wall Street’s radar.

Donald Yacktman, once one of BlackBerry’s biggest shareholders, sold the remainder of Yacktman Asset Management’s stake in the Canadian smartphone company at the end of March, and hasn’t followed it much since.

“The bottom line is we look at risk-adjusted forward return, and we just didn’t see it at this point,” he said in a phone interview from Austin, Tx. “That’s why we got out.”

On Thursday, when BlackBerry releases its first-quarter earnings and holds its annual general meeting, the company will try to reassure investors and industry watchers that the treatment plan Mr. Chen has set out since taking the helm in November is working.

Last month, Mr. Chen put out a relatively positive prognosis: an 80% chance of survival. That’s a healthy outlook, given that he previously pegged BlackBerry’s odds at 50/50.

“I am quite confident that we’ll be able to save the patient,” Mr. Chen told Re/Code’s Code Conference in Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif.

Analysts, however, remain mixed.

Research firm IDC forecasts that BlackBerry’s share of the global smartphone market will drop to 0.8% this year, then to 0.3% by 2018.

Mark Sue, technology analyst for RBC Capital Markets, said in a report to clients that BlackBerry is “making progress in its turnaround,” with a stronger balance sheet and “hardware profitability now seeming within reach.”

However, its older BB7 and BB10 devices have been headwinds to the company’s profitability over the last year, he added.

Meanwhile, new products in the pipeline, such as the BlackBerry Classic and BlackBerry Enterprise Services 12 platform, won’t make an impact until fiscal 2015.

Mr. Sue is expecting quarterly revenue of US$994-million, up 2% from the previous quarter on BlackBerry’s sold-out launch of the Z3 smartphone in Indonesia.

That’s a steep drop from the US$3.1-billion BlackBerry reported in the same quarter a year ago. He is also expecting a loss of US23 per share, compared to US13 per diluted share a year earlier.

“Unlike the prior management team which ‘bet the farm’ on a failed device, we believe the new executive team has taken a pragmatic approach to stabilizing the challenged handset business, charting a course towards financial break-even metrics and working to differentiate its products and services,” Mr. Sue said in his report.

Mark McKechnie, technology analyst at Evercore Group in San Francisco, says Mr. Chen is the right person for the job, but the recovery is taking too long.

“He can’t address everything at once, and what he has done to date, I’ve been impressed with,” Mr. McKechnie said. “But I think he’s late.”

Some big investors aren’t sticking around to see whether Mr. Chen succeeds in reviving his patient.

GAMCO Investors in Bronx, New York, cut its stake in half, from 59,000 to 33,000 shares on March 31.

“It’s been out of mind for, I don’t know, the last four or five months,” said Mario Gabelli, founder and chief executive of GAMCO in an interview.

Mr. Yacktman was one of BlackBerry’s top shareholders back when the company was still known as Research In Motion.

In September 2012, his firm held as many as 23.5 million shares when the stock was trading in single digit territory. By March 2013, when shares hovered around the teens, he sold about 90% of his holdings, making a handsome return.

The original basis for the investment was BlackBerry’s trove of patents which would backstop its value, Mr. Yacktman said. But it took them “way beyond, time wise” to roll out a new phone, he said. It was also a touchscreen phone, not the keyboard-devices BlackBerry was famed for, he said.

“There’s still assets there, but, there were just a whole bunch of disappointments regarding the new phone,” Mr. Yacktman said. “And we just felt we would be better served elsewhere.”
    06-17-14 06:39 PM
    06-17-14 08:33 PM
    .my main concern was the bad 'press' this will draw.
    Yeah, right. You certainly do your best for that.
    You're OT again, big time.
    Rant abt BBM in other sections, one thread is dedicated for that particular problem http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=939228.

Now I need chocolate instead of coffee. *grin*
    Posted via CB10
    morganplus8 and bungaboy like this.
    06-18-14 01:06 AM
    Dup

Posted via CB10
    Let's be honest: everything negative is OT.

BBM is one of BlackBerry's four pillars of awesomeness, but mentioning that it's sending supposedly 'secure and reliable' messages to the wrong people is OT.

Posting something positive about anything else (including rock bands and cars, and barbecues) is not OT.

Join the Cause @ BlackBerry Bootleg Marketing Channel - C003483F4
    06-18-14 01:39 AM
    Howdy folks! Haven't posted in a while but I feel inclined to put my 2 cents up for discussion. As far as the earnings report goes I'd like to see cash remain somewhat stable, some signs of BES10 (soon to be 12) adoption and perhaps a wee bit of a surprise on BB10 device sales. I'd be happy with that. I like what John Chen is doing. But I think it will be a couple more quarters before the fruits of his labours are accepted by....well just about everybody. No matter what I'm pretty excited to be long right now and for once I think patience will be rewarded. Cheers!
    06-18-14 01:50 AM
    Let's be honest: everything negative is OT.
    No, anything that is not direcly related to BBRY in this particular thread, running forever to repeat the exact same thing is OT. Positive or negative. It's not the topic, it's the volume. You're used to it.

Given we don't know how your device is set, what OS you use or if ever you tricked it somehow, we cannot measure if this problem (I don't deny you have it) it widely spread or not. As of date, it isn't trending anywhere and the related thread has a 15 posts count, mostly due to members giving a solution (yes, I did checked before I made my initial answer, did you ?).
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-capture.png

Edit (2) : appears you have your very own one since : http://forums.crackberry.com/general...update-939267/ ... add 30 posts, including mine, where I try to help identifying the problem, in due place, with the best will.

You pretend you're a "marketing aware" guy (your channel) but you constantly pop here with your (very own) views, often claiming unverifiable statements as the truth and repeating them forever, until someone (me) gently ask you to stop (and then we go for 2-3 additional posts like this one). You clearly don't understand what a topic is and jump on anything to catch attention for whatever reason.

Man, I've never seen a "pro BlackBerry" going in at this point into a forever rant. You're not even suggesting anything as a solution (there's an armchair CEO section for that) and if I combine all your latest posts and take them as receivable, then we have to flush the whole company , directions by directions. That kind of "marketing guerilla" is a known process and I sincerely hope it's only due to excessive enthusiasm and inexperience.

That's why you're OT, nothing else.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 06-18-14 at 02:53 AM.
    06-18-14 02:37 AM
    Howdy folks! Haven't posted in a while but I feel inclined to put my 2 cents up for discussion. As far as the earnings report goes I'd like to see cash remain somewhat stable, some signs of BES10 (soon to be 12) adoption and perhaps a wee bit of a surprise on BB10 device sales. I'd be happy with that. I like what John Chen is doing. But I think it will be a couple more quarters before the fruits of his labours are accepted by....well just about everybody. No matter what I'm pretty excited to be long right now and for once I think patience will be rewarded. Cheers!
    Hi doctor, glad to read you again !
    Well, I guess we all share these.

I'll add one which is the critical size (capitalistic sense); I'm worried to see giants like Oracle buying solutions. These guys have a phenomenal track of record in the Enterprise segment, security oriented software and services and deep pockets.
    In case it wasn't clear already, I sincerely hope Chen's DNA will result in a strong partnership with SAP (yeah, golf picture wasn't OT, just subliminal).

From my POV, SAP is the last opportunity for BlackBerry for a high magnitude partnership. More, the European defiance for anything NSA/unregulated privacy spying in U.S.A would make it a perfect candidate (SAP is German). Not to mention their pockets, too. Also, recent news for SAP is that they go "cloud based" all the way with a deep restructuration in progress. All my radars are blinking.

timing ... timing ... timing ...

Edit: see more about this here : http://forums.crackberry.com/homepag...autiful-939402
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 06-18-14 at 04:32 AM.
    bungaboy, 95aero and Mr BBRY like this.
    06-18-14 03:02 AM
    What time does the earning press release hit?
    06-18-14 03:04 AM
    No, anything that is not direcly related to BBRY in this particular thread, running forever to repeat the exact same thing is OT. Positive or negative. It's not the topic, it's the volume. You're used to it.

Given we don't know how your device is set, what OS you use or if ever you tricked it somehow, we cannot measure if this problem (I don't deny you have it) it widely spread or not. As of date, it isn't trending anywhere and the related thread has a 15 posts count, mostly due to members giving a solution (yes, I did checked before I made my initial answer, did you ?).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	778 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	278684

Edit (2) : appears you have your very own one since : http://forums.crackberry.com/general...update-939267/ ... add 30 posts, including mine, where I try to help identifying the problem, in due place, with the best will.

You pretend you're a "marketing aware" guy (your channel) but you constantly pop here with your (very own) views, often claiming unverifiable statements as the truth and repeating them forever, until someone (me) gently ask you to stop (and then we go for 2-3 additional posts like this one). You clearly don't understand what a topic is and jump on anything to catch attention for whatever reason.

Man, I've never seen a "pro BlackBerry" going in at this point into a forever rant. You're not even suggesting anything as a solution (there's an armchair CEO section for that) and if I combine all your latest posts and take them as receivable, then we have to flush the whole company , directions by directions. That kind of "marketing guerilla" is a known process and I sincerely hope it's only due to excessive enthusiasm and inexperience.

That's why you're OT, nothing else.
    The ranting accusation is an interesting one. The fact is that this topic, like others, dragged on because of vituperative responses from others, as well as a few requests to send examples (screen shots, etc. ) of what I was talking about. In general though, this ranting stuff is the result of arguments (and insults) started by other people who take issue with what I've said. If you are bored enough, and I'm not suggesting you are, you'll be able to confirm this quite easily.

In cases where I or anyone else says something positive, there is little ranting or repetition because people just shower one with hearts and all is rosy. It is 'negative' or critical comments that bring on the multitudinous ad hominem attacks and 'troll' accusations, and refutations, and all the rest of it. That is what leads to what seems like ranting to those who don't notice that I'm responding to various people's 'ranting' about my 'trolling', etc.

As for marketing stuff, that tag line is there because I put it there ages ago. I'm not the only one with something like that at the bottom of their messages.

Join the Cause @ BlackBerry Bootleg Marketing Channel - C003483F4
    06-18-14 03:15 AM
    Hey BBUK14 I misused this thread to vent too. But one OT rant in a row is enough, me thinks and this will not cause any problems. It's just the iteration...

Regarding marketing I would really appreciate to see a marketing thread in this forum, where BB's marketing can be discussed in more depth. I don't want to inititate it, because I'm only a sporadic contributor and not native english writer.
    06-18-14 03:43 AM
    What time does the earning press release hit?
    Isn't it tomorrow at 8 ET?

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 04:07 AM
    The ranting accusation is an interesting one. The fact is that this topic, like others, dragged on because of vituperative responses from others, as well as a few requests to send examples (screen shots, etc. ) of what I was talking about.
    Then your answer should/may be : "see here : http://forums.crackberry.com/general...update-939267/ " and instead of my intervention, you'll very likely observe a +1 thanks and/or like. That's what I'm talking about.
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-18-14 04:36 AM
    Wow, it's been a long time. Glad to see you again.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 04:54 AM
    06-18-14 06:11 AM
    We will roar out of the gates today.
    Mr BBRY and Superfly_FR like this.
    06-18-14 06:28 AM
    Hmm, the timing is interesting. Amazon is set to release their phone today.
    06-18-14 06:35 AM
    Well, I'm sure there will be some truth to it if Lucas from N4BB is claiming he has heard "whispers" and "pretty much has confirmation" for these whispers. Chris Umiastowski already claimed that BlackBerry's headcount after the much-reported restructuring is still on the high side when you compare it to Facebook for example. On the one hand you can't really make a claim like he did, since Facebook and BlackBerry are very different companies with very different offerings. On the other hand, BlackBerry's not generating the much-needed revenues with all their offerings. I hope they did a deal with Amazon.
    Now let's hope it's true!!!
    06-18-14 06:35 AM
    Anyone have WSJ access to post the whole article?
    06-18-14 06:39 AM
    Here you go...

http://online.wsj.com/articles/black...ore-1403089441

BlackBerry to Announce Deal With Amazon to Gain Access to Appstore

BlackBerry Hopes Partnership Will Boost Sales of Its Latest Smartphones

BlackBerry Ltd. is expected to announce later Wednesday a deal with Amazon.com Inc. AMZN -0.61% to gain access to the e-commerce giant's Appstore for mobile devices, a move the Canadian company hopes will boost sales of its latest smartphones.

The partnership is meant to expand BlackBerry's current offering of games, video, music and other mobile apps to help make its smartphones more appealing to consumers, while allowing it to concentrate on developing security and other apps that appeal to the firm's targeted corporate and government market as it tries to regain market share.

"We can leverage what [Amazon] can offer," while providing the Seattle, Wash., company with access to BlackBerry's customer base, John Chen, BlackBerry's chief executive, said in an interview.

An Amazon spokeswoman couldn't immediately be reached for comment.

Still, even with this deal, BlackBerry's selection of apps falls short of those offered by Apple Inc. AAPL -0.13% and Google Inc. GOOGL -0.31%

BlackBerry, Waterloo, Ontario, currently offers about 130,000 apps through its own online store, compared with more than one million each for Apple's App Store and Google Inc.'s Google Play. Its selection also doesn't include some of the most popular apps such as Groupon, Netflix, NFLX +3.11% Pinterest and Candy Crush. The Amazon deal addresses these problems to some degree by giving BlackBerry customers access to these apps as part of the more than 240,000 that the Amazon Appstore offers for Android-powered phones, for a total of about 370,000 apps.

BlackBerry said it would preload Amazon's app store on its devices in the fall at the time the latest version of the BlackBerry 10 operating system is launched. BlackBerry customers can now download apps from the Amazon Appstore, but the process is more cumbersome.

The Amazon partnership comes the day before BlackBerry is scheduled to report its fiscal first-quarter results. Investors expect the company to report a loss because it is still in the middle of its turnaround effort. But a loss is likely to increase the focus on Mr. Chen's stated efforts to introduce new software and security features to make its devices more appealing to enterprise customers.

The Amazon deal could help BlackBerry achieve that goal by reducing the pressure it faces to support and secure many consumer-focused apps, while freeing up those resources to develop software applications that appeal to enterprise customers.

"I do not have to spend time, energy and money" developing apps that Amazon offers, Mr. Chen said. "Given I want to financially turn around the company and focus on the enterprise space, this is perfect for us."

Amazon also is expected Wednesday to launch its own smartphone, creating another potential competitor for BlackBerry in an already crowded and competitive device market.

Mr. Chen doesn't believe Amazon's new device undercuts BlackBerry's app partnership with Amazon.

"Our focuses are different," he said. "My devices are focused on the enterprise, highly secure," whereas the Amazon phone is more targeted at the consumer, he said.
    Last edited by Corbu; 06-18-14 at 06:53 AM.
    06-18-14 06:41 AM
    Three things:

Wholly awesomesauce on the Amazon thingy.

It's a pellet smoker/grill, not a BBQ.

And

GO GERMANY. (mostly cuz hockey is over...this will evolve into GO SEAHAWKS, GO ESKIMOS, and finally GO OILERS as the year progresses....oh, an GO BLACKBERRY

Posted via a Device with Z and a 30
    06-18-14 06:44 AM
    Anyone have WSJ access to post the whole article?
    For any WSJ articles that is blocked just type it in google and it will give you full access, just FYI for future articles
    bungaboy, Bilaal, Corbu and 10 others like this.
    06-18-14 06:44 AM
    For any WSJ articles that is blocked just type it in google and it will give you full access, just FYI for future articles
    Indeed, but this method only works a few times, until you've used up the predetermined number of free accesses, unfortunately...
    06-18-14 07:03 AM
    Up 2.48% in PM
    plasmid_boy and Superfly_FR like this.
    06-18-14 07:04 AM
106,817 ... 26592660266126622663 ...