Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Apps Alliance Launches Data, Analytics, and Security Working Group
    AT&T, BlackBerry, Google, Intel, Yahoo among Group�s Members

The Group is comprised of industry-leading companies in data, analytics, and the emerging Internet of Things market. Alec Saunders, Vice President of the QNX Cloud business of BlackBerry�s wholly-owned subsidiary, QNX Software Systems, and the Group�s vice-chair, yesterday told the audience at the O�Reilly Solid Conference in San Francisco, "There's a need - today - for a secure public applications platform for the Internet of Things that operates at a global scale.�

Apps Alliance Launches Data, Analytics, and Security Working Group | Application Developers Alliance
    dusdal, sidhuk, rarsen and 9 others like this.
    05-22-14 10:26 AM
    Will the Internet of Things be BlackBerry’s redemption? | SiliconANGLE

BlackBerry is making a play for the Internet of Things with its new Project Ion, in the belief that it’s security expertise can help connect devices, sensors and everything else to the cloud in a secure fashion.

Project Ion actually consists of a series of projects that BlackBerry hopes can promote the development of IoT. The main thrust though is its plan to build a new, water-tight application platform based on QNX that’s designed to gather data from a wide range of operating environments and devices. Meanwhile, in order to promote its new platform, it’s launching strategic partnerships with the Application Developer Alliance and the Industrial Internet Consortium.

The project was announced by BlackBerry’s vice president of cloud Alec Saunders at the O’Reilly Conference in San Franciso, as he called for developers to build applications on its new IoT platform.

BlackBerry’s main goal with Project Ion is to help enterprises gain access to thousands of new insights by connecting every aspect of their business to the IoT. BlackBerry already does so to a certain extent with its management of MDM gear like computers and mobile devices. But it sees a big opportunity for collecting new data and insights via sensors connecting smart cars, environmental and weather measurement devices, industrial machines and so on. The Industrial Internet holds massive promise for any company that can get a foothold in it, in part because it could revolutionize just about every industry on the planet, from transportation to healthcare and oil and gas.

It won’t be easy going for BlackBerry though. The market for IoT clouds is already a pretty crowded space with upstarts like Ayla Networks and PrismTech all battling for relevance. But Saunders says BlackBerry’s privacy and security expertise (not to mention the weight of its brand name) will give it a big advantage. It’s also very experienced when it comes to connected devices, having once been the world’s pre-eminent smartphone make. It’s ultimate plan seems to be to create a secure platform that covers both the data-gathering devices and the cloud back-end.

In any case, Steve Jennis, Senior Vice President, PrismTech, welcomed BlackBerry’s foray into the world of connected devices.

“This is type of announcement is welcome news because Blackberry and the other Cloud Services vendors represent potential partners for our intelligent data sharing platform,” Jennis told SiliconANGLE via email. “Our enabling software, Vortex, allows Cloud Services suppliers to add a real-time public/subscribe intelligent data-sharing capability to their PaaS offering. In other words, they can provide a more advanced PaaS.”

“It’s an opportunity because we’re positioned to provide a potential upgrade to allow these vendors to meet the requirements of business-critical IoT systems, not just simpler data-collection systems,” Jennis added.

BlackBerry also wants to build something called ‘context-awareness’ into IoT devices, which would allow specific kinds of data to be shared only under certain conditions. Using the example of connected cars, Saunders said that manufacturers might be able to request all of a vehicle’s data, whereas dealers would only get diagnostics.

So will the Internet of Things help BlackBerry bounce back from its near-death experience in the consumer devices market?. That remains to be seen, but given the expertise it already possesses, building an IoT cloud should be a piece of cake – it’s got nothing to lose by giving it a go and everything to gain if it pays off.
    rarsen, zyben, W Hoa and 8 others like this.
    05-22-14 10:43 AM
    Ion looks very interesting, but it's not real yet. I can't understand why BlackBerry continues to announce products so many months before they are actually ready to ship.

What if they run into unforeseen problems and they miss the Feb 2015 date? Or are they forced again to ship something incomplete to make the date?

Why not build it first, with a small number of hand-picked partners, and then announce it?

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    Last edited by app_Developer; 05-22-14 at 11:10 AM. Reason: mistake
    05-22-14 11:09 AM
    BLACKBERRY Z3 APPEARS IN MALAYSIAN AUTHORITIES DATABASE: COMING SOON TO STORES?

Registered under Brightstar�s name which is BlackBerry�s long time distributor for our market, the new BlackBerry Z3 appears to have been approved by SIRIM last week on 14 May.
    BlackBerry Z3 Appears In Malaysian Authorities Database: Coming Soon To Stores? | Lowyat.NET
    dusdal, Corbu, sidhuk and 9 others like this.
    05-22-14 11:20 AM
    From CB's main page, but copied here as a follow-up to all the material that has already been posted on the subject:

Alec Saunders hits the stage to talk QNX and Project Ion at Solid 2014 | CrackBerry.com

zyben, bungaboy, Mr BBRY and 6 others like this.
    05-22-14 11:29 AM
    "n any case, Steve Jennis, Senior Vice President, PrismTech, welcomed BlackBerry’s foray into the world of connected devices.

“This is type of announcement is welcome news because Blackberry and the other Cloud Services vendors represent potential partners for our intelligent data sharing platform,” Jennis told SiliconANGLE via email. “Our enabling software, Vortex, allows Cloud Services suppliers to add a real-time public/subscribe intelligent data-sharing capability to their PaaS offering. In other words, they can provide a more advanced PaaS.”

“It’s an opportunity because we’re positioned to provide a potential upgrade to allow these vendors to meet the requirements of business-critical IoT systems, not just simpler data-collection systems,” Jennis added."
    so will the Internet of Things help BlackBerry bounce back from its near-death experience in the consumer devices market?. That remains to be seen, but given the expertise it already possesses, building an IoT cloud should be a piece of cake – it’s got nothing to lose by giving it a go and everything to gain if it pays off.
    Will the Internet of Things be BlackBerry’s redemption? | SiliconANGLE
    bungaboy, zyben, ibpluto and 1 others like this.
    05-22-14 11:42 AM
    BerryFlow Q&A with Jon Sims, President of Global Enterprise Services at BlackBerry

BerryFlow Q&A with John Sims, President of Global Enterprise Services at BlackBerry |
    05-22-14 01:13 PM
    maybe Super or someone else can comment on the below article from gurufocus and the comment about ECC and AES 256?

BlackBerry: Likely to Hit $10 in 2014 - GuruFocus.com

Dont forget about their ECC patent (Elliptic curve cryptography). The NSA vouches for this tech on their website: The Case for Elliptic Curve Cryptography - NSA/CSS
    AES 256 will be useless if Quantum computing becomes mainstream.... it already is showing it's weakness with standard computing.
    Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    05-22-14 01:28 PM
    Ion looks very interesting, but it's not real yet. I can't understand why BlackBerry continues to announce products so many months before they are actually ready to ship.

What if they run into unforeseen problems and they miss the Feb 2015 date? Or are they forced again to ship something incomplete to make the date?

Why not build it first, with a small number of hand-picked partners, and then announce it?

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    When selling a house, you get better results by "prettying up" the place.
    05-22-14 02:10 PM
    05-22-14 02:31 PM
    Interesting interview:

Alec Saunders, vice president of QNX Cloud, talks about where the Internet of Things gets personal and introduces the Apps Alliance Data, Analytics, and Security Working Group.

QNX On The Internet Of Things | DevsBuild.It
    Corbu, sidhuk, Mr BBRY and 5 others like this.
    05-22-14 02:35 PM
    The same thing happened at HP during the big gaps between webOS releases. HP execs like Phil McKinney were going out to tech conferences showing flexible displays, watches, etc. HP was talking about how they were going to put webOS in every one of their PCs. It probably stems from a desire to get out a positive story for stock market analysts to counter the negativity. You could say that they are getting out a story that sounds good to investors.

http://www.webosnation.com/flexible-...distant-future
    http://www.webosnation.com/mckinney-...ed-windows-pcs

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-phil-mckinney_0.jpg
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-phil_mckinney_device_teaser-01.jpg
    Last edited by early2bed; 05-22-14 at 03:39 PM.
    05-22-14 03:26 PM
    The same thing happened at HP during the big gaps between webOS releases. HP execs like Phil McKinney were going out to tech conferences showing flexible displays, watches, etc. HP was talking about how they were going to put webOS in every one of their PCs. It probably stems from a desire to get out a positive story for stock market analysts to counter the negativity. You could say that they are getting out a story that sounds good to investors.

http://www.webosnation.com/flexible-...distant-future
    http://www.webosnation.com/mckinney-...ed-windows-pcs

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phil-mckinney_0.jpg 
Views:	2935 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	272901
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phil_mckinney_device_teaser-01.jpg 
Views:	2934 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	272903
    Or not...HP was never in the cellular biz until they bought WebOS (Palm)...that's an apple and organic matter comparison...personally I think apple and organic matter go together, but that's just me...anyway, can't compare them as BlackBerry is an innovator and pioneer in this space and is uniquely positioned to take advantage of their brain trust...and they have JC...and they have QNX.

Regardless of spin I think it's wonderful and exciting to watch them compete in and try to lead "the next big thing".

Posted via a Device with Z and a 30
    Mr BBRY, jxnb, bungaboy and 7 others like this.
    05-22-14 07:07 PM
    Edit: those were (for the time) cool concepts.

Posted via a Device with Z and a 30
    Last edited by Shanerredflag; 05-22-14 at 09:52 PM.
    05-22-14 09:10 PM
    LoL,
    I didn't buy or sell.
    It was a joke. Presuming some one else pulls this off on a daily basis and brags about it on this thread, with by the second commentary.

I actually did this for almost a Month straight, but lost all my gains with the current SP.

Well, I haven't 'officially' lost yet, cuz I haven't sold.

Go BlackBerry!
    05-22-14 09:58 PM
    I actually did this for almost a Month straight, but lost all my gains with the current SP.

Well, I haven't 'officially' lost yet, cuz I haven't sold.

Go BlackBerry!
    That's what I told myself every time I looked at the eye-popping red number next to my BBRY block...LOL
    Anyway, where is everybody? No posts all day.
    bungaboy, zyben, sidhuk and 3 others like this.
    05-23-14 10:12 AM
    That's what I was wondering. Lol
    Good morning Gang

Posted using Z30. Best of the best Smart phone in the world.
    05-23-14 10:16 AM
    That's what I told myself every time I looked at the eye-popping red number next to my BBRY block...LOL
    Anyway, where is everybody? No posts all day.
    I was going to go golfing with the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Boston Bruins but I thought I will wait for the New York Rangers. LoL
    sidhuk, Corbu, Mr BBRY and 2 others like this.
    05-23-14 10:24 AM
    Good day all, heading to Vancouver on Saturday for my son's graduation at UBC on Monday.

Posted with my gorgeous Z30
    bungaboy, sidhuk, zyben and 9 others like this.
    05-23-14 10:25 AM
    Good day all, heading to Vancouver on Saturday for my son's graduation at UBC on Monday.

Congratulations Bro. Both of my boys are students at the same university.

05-23-14 10:32 AM

I'm heading to Halifax for my daughter's graduation from Dalhousie next week. Master's of Applied Science Civil Engineering
    05-23-14 10:33 AM
    Congratulations Bro. Both of my boys are students at the same university.

I have 3 girls at University now. I am fargen broke. Come on BlackBerry hit $20 so Daddy can relax. LoL
    05-23-14 10:35 AM
    I have 3 girls at University now. I am fargen broke. Come on BlackBerry hit $20 so Daddy can relax. LoL
    I haven't given up on $100 party yet

05-23-14 10:38 AM

Make sure you give him a new Z30 along with the bimmer for graduating. LoL
    05-23-14 10:41 AM
    I haven't given up on $100 party yet

Nor I. But I have lots of shares too. LoL
    sidhuk, zyben, La Emperor and 1 others like this.
    05-23-14 10:42 AM
113,256 ... 26192620262126222623 ...