View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I think anyone over age 45 truly has no idea why they chose and iPhone. The same people buy athletic wear and couldn't run 1/4 mile if you paid them to.

Posted via CB10
    Possibly true, but Apple, Nike and Under Armor have all been great stocks to own.
    CDM76 likes this.
    05-12-14 08:12 AM
    Thanks for the reply lagoon! Appreciate it, is there a time frame for this pattern to play out? Seems possible in correlation with the expected break even quarter

Posted via CB10
    sidhuk likes this.
    05-12-14 08:39 AM
    Possibly true, but Apple, Nike and Under Armor have all been great stocks to own.
    Absolutely. I'm not sure why we would care whether or not the 'masses' were all mobile phone experts. What's a more sensible expectation, that millions and millions suddenly become tech nerds, or that BlackBerry should appeal to people on multiple levels, including fashion, etc.

Join the Cause @ BlackBerry Bootleg Marketing Channel - C003483F4
    05-12-14 09:07 AM
    Absolutely. I'm not sure why we would care whether or not the 'masses' were all mobile phone experts. What's a more sensible expectation, that millions and millions suddenly become tech nerds, or that BlackBerry should appeal to people on multiple levels, including fashion, etc.

Join the Cause @ BlackBerry Bootleg Marketing Channel - C003483F4

Plus, all those 'ignorant folks' are the ones with the capital to drive those markets....
    05-12-14 09:34 AM
    I miss how we use to have party time after hours and over the weekends on this thread. this thread wasnt only about BBRY.
    in other news. The blackberry Blend article on front page of CB. I like what i see in those pictures.
    however, I am sad that 96 comments and all positives? this must be blackberry pumpers onslaught.
    where have all the Dead Blackberry people gone?

I am not sure we should stop enjoying our play times in this thread just because some people hate our guts?
    Miss it too ... but it has been a bit of the cause why a few party poos came and made our "lives" less enjoyable. Too much posts, too much exposure ... sounds familiar ? I'm sure we'll get some fun pretty soon, in the meantime, I believe our "founders" are still around, patiently waiting in the shadow I'm (just) one of them, you can be sure !
    jxnb, La Emperor, sidhuk and 9 others like this.
    05-12-14 11:06 AM
    Thanks for the reply lagoon! Appreciate it, is there a time frame for this pattern to play out? Seems possible in correlation with the expected break even quarter
    Posted via CB10
    Hi Slipstream:

I think, the timeline is soon. There is a 6 month pattern that I notice from late 2012. You can see on the daily extended chart, the last two were January - end of June 2013 (remember the pennant, and big crash, after June ER?), and July - end of December 2013 (this forms the left shoulder, and head). I believe, we are in the last 2 months of another 6 month pattern forming the right shoulder, and resolution (what we are waiting for). Perhaps, it will coincide with June 12 pre-ER or after. In any case, the resolution will form another pattern. Of course, we would like to see the resolution to be very bullish based on TA alone. Hopefully, incoming news supports it as well.
    jxnb, bungaboy, rarsen and 7 others like this.
    05-12-14 01:09 PM
    OK. It's 2:09 pm Eastern Standard Time. In Jakarta, I believe it is 1:09 am. Maybe nine or ten hours to go before we start hearing some on-the-ground reports about the Z3 launch..... I am eager to read some concrete data about how this launch goes. Best to all in the meantime.
    05-12-14 01:11 PM
    And in the mean time..... BBRY ..........some jeopardy music........and.........
    downloaded 10.3 for z10, whooped up z30 radio to it and installed on my z30.
    This OS 10.3 is cleverly slick. LoL. loads up fast.
    I wish this was pre installed on z3 but soon. not that 10.2.1 had anything wrong with it. i like what JC and team has done with it 10.3 and blackberry blend which may have the ability to display and control your blackberry10 from any HTML5 screen meaning desktop, IPADS and android tablets. and play-book? some exciting times ahead.

Edit: Boot time. Under 30sec some times 45 sec on z30

Attachment 270001
    Last edited by sidhuk; 05-12-14 at 04:59 PM.
    05-12-14 02:34 PM
    Yes, blackberry blend is what I had in mind. If they do it well could be great.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-14 02:50 PM
    OT - GL to fellow HALO holders.
    05-12-14 03:04 PM
    OT - GL to fellow HALO holders.
    Good news, we need the FDA to lift the clinical hold now. DMC gave their thumbs up.
    05-12-14 03:22 PM
    We deserved all this good news with halo, 2 months of bad calls for me lol

Posted via CB10
    05-12-14 03:27 PM
    This is great! And -- holy cow -- the after hours sp is like a geyser!
    Good news, we need the FDA to lift the clinical hold now. DMC gave their thumbs up.
    Mr BBRY likes this.
    05-12-14 03:36 PM
    Just a quick update on BBRY:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-chart-may-12-2014.png

We are following the support line higher and heading for what could be a major move in the days ahead. We tested the lows of $ 7.20/shr and held that Blue line, from here, we just need to breakout of the descending Blue line and we are set to move to the top of the channel at $ 9.00/shr.

OT. As for HALO, it needs to clear the base level of $ 8.00 - $ 8.25/shr to set itself up to fill that gap to $ 11.50/shr. The news was nothing short of amazing and the full PEGPH20 program looks to be on target again, including new indications. The revenues were strong as well, from $ 33,000 to $ 799,000 in just three months time with a considerable lag effect. The recent down-grade to $ 12.00/shr will now have to be taken back up to $ 20.00 plus and the stock is back to being a take-over candidate. Nice news indeed!
    05-12-14 04:26 PM
    I found following part of the article from the from page to be interesting:

GWAVA, an industry leading company specializing in Unified Archiving, and Messaging Security of email, mobile and social communication is now offering an answer to maintaining security without compromising productivity.

With eBBM launching along side of BES, GWAVA has partnered with BlackBerry to provide a mobile solution to securely archive all communications. It is called Retain Mobile for BlackBerry. Retain Mobile was featured in BlackBerry Experience: New York and I had the privilege of speaking with Mike Silverman, the Director of Sales at GWAVA, about the exciting new service.

"Retain archives all mobile communications for BlackBerry devices via the BlackBerry Enterprise Service (BES). Retain for BlackBerry pulls the data directly from the BlackBerry Enterprise Service itself; therefore, individual BlackBerry device communications are tracked and logged without the need for an app to be installed on each BlackBerry device. And Retain for BlackBerry archives all data to the Retain unified archive database. There, the data is easily reviewed, retrieved, discovered and published on demand."

Retain Mobile meets all federal regulations and compliance standards (SEC, FINRA, FRCP, Sarbanes-*‐Oxley, HIPAA). With Retain Mobile you can keep and safeguard all of your organization's valuable information; moreover, your organization stays compliant and your sensitive data stays secure within your organization. Retain Mobile for BlackBerry covers SMS, MMS, BBM messages, PIN and phone call logs.

"No other organization in the world offers this functionality, which is huge,"; Mike Silverman said. The groundbreaking offer, in addition to eBBM, is subscription based and will coincide with eBBM's pricing structure within available package deals. It will be fully integrated with BES12 and currently supports BlackBerry and Android devices with Windows phones and iOS support coming soon.

Mr. Silverman and I spoke about various scenarios where Retain Mobile could solve some of the looming issues that companies constantly face in today's hectic workforce. I told him that Retain for BlackBerry could virtually eliminate the need for "official documentation" when communicating over various platforms with partners and clients. For instance, if you're messaging someone while out of the office over BBM then there's no need for an official email to "document" what was agreed and communicated since all forms of communications are equally archived on the back end by Retain.

"If you're texting with a partner about a deal and later that individual no longer works for the company (for whatever reason), it used to be impossible to prove what the deal was and if it even took place. Retain for BlackBerry solves this and countless problems currently faced in the regulated segments," Mr. Silverman said.

BlackBerry: The Future is Yours | CrackBerry.com
    05-12-14 06:38 PM
    Apple be warned: Sony offers lesson on perils of losing your edge.

"Its latest move – the reported acquisition of Beats Electronics LLC and its super-cool headphones and streaming music – suggests Apple’s well of innovation is running dry.

It’s apparent that Apple would rather pay an exorbitant sum to gobble up someone else to stanch the decline than develop its own model. That’s not a good sign. As Sony’s fate shows, an innovator that loses its edge won’t remain at the top of the food chain for long."
    Corbu, zyben, morganplus8 and 8 others like this.
    05-12-14 07:36 PM
    BlackBerry Z3 Photoshoot Aside Samsung, Apple, Lenovo and more!

BlackBerry Z3 Photoshoot Aside Samsung, Apple, Lenovo and more! |

BlackBerry Z3 Video Unboxing

BlackBerry Z3 Video Unboxing |
    05-12-14 08:18 PM
    Just a quick update on BBRY:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BBRY Chart May 12 2014.png 
Views:	1934 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	269993

We are following the support line higher and heading for what could be a major move in the days ahead. We tested the lows of $ 7.20/shr and held that Blue line, from here, we just need to breakout of the descending Blue line and we are set to move to the top of the channel at $ 9.00/shr.

OT. As for HALO, it needs to clear the base level of $ 8.00 - $ 8.25/shr to set itself up to fill that gap to $ 11.50/shr. The news was nothing short of amazing and the full PEGPH20 program looks to be on target again, including new indications. The revenues were strong as well, from $ 33,000 to $ 799,000 in just three months time with a considerable lag effect. The recent down-grade to $ 12.00/shr will now have to be taken back up to $ 20.00 plus and the stock is back to being a take-over candidate. Nice news indeed!
    Thanks for the chart and Halo news. Very much appreciated for your time Morgan. Hope everything going well with you. Take care
    05-12-14 08:57 PM
    BlackBerry Z3 Video Unboxing
    BlackBerry Z3 Video Unboxing |
    It seems that the lower screen resolution is no issue all. This was my bigest concern.
    And it is surprisingly fast.
    For the price level a really solid device, imho.
    Lucky Indonesians!
    05-13-14 03:01 AM
    108 year-old investor Irving Kahn increases stake in BlackBerry

108 year-old investor Irving Kahn increases stake in BlackBerry - Cantech Letter

The man who made his first trade in the months before the 1929 market crash thinks BlackBerry will stand the test of time.

108 year-old Irving Kahn, chairman of Kahn Brothers Group, recently upped the firms position in BlackBerry by 250,000 shares to a total of 450,000 shares.

While some will no doubt chuckle at the perceived tidiness of an over-the-hill investor investing in what many regard as an over-the-hill tech play, it’s clear what Kahn sees in the beleaguered device maker, and that’s value.

Kahn boasts a value investing pedigree that few, if any, can match. He was a teaching assistant to the father of the discipline, Ben Graham, at Columbia Business School. Students who passed through that class include Charles Brandes and Warren Buffett.

Today, Kahn Brothers manages about a billion dollars, and Irving’s son Thomas -a spritely 71- is the firm’s president. Its top holdings include The New York Times and Pfizer.

In late 2012, the day before his 107th birthday, Kahn was profiled by the Wall Street Journal, which noted his ongoing work ethic.

“Discipline has been a key for Mr. Kahn. He still works five days a week, slacking off only on the occasional Friday. He reads voraciously, including at least two newspapers every day and numerous magazines and books, especially about science. His abiding goal, he told me, is “to know much more about the stock I’m buying than the man who’s selling does.”

Since BlackBerry’s slide from a high July, 2007 high of $241.90 to lows in the six and seven dollar range, several noted value investors have kicked the tires on the stock. But Donald Yacktman and Mario Gabelli have recently sold their entire position in BlackBerry, leaving Charles Brandes, who at last count owned just 23,320 shares and Joel Greenblatt, with just 28,480 shares among the Graham disciples left.

Of course, the company’s largest shareholder remains Fairfax Financial chairman Prem Watsa, who owns more than 10% of BlackBerry. At the recent Fairfax AGM, Watsa said he was encouraged by the progress made by new CEO John Chen.

“John, in five months, has done so many changes. We’re very impressed,” he said.

Below: a 106 year-old Khan talks to CNN…

05-13-14 05:30 AM
    UPDATE 2-BlackBerry aims to reverse emerging market slump with budget handset | Reuters

JAKARTA/TORONTO, May 13 (Reuters) - BlackBerry Ltd launched a low-cost touchscreen device in Jakarta, the Z3, as the embattled smartphone maker looks to revive sales in emerging markets like Indonesia where its once-fervent following has shrivelled.

The handset, unveiled at a glitzy launch event in the Indonesian capital on Tuesday, is the first in a line of devices being made with FIH Mobile Ltd, a unit of the giant Taiwanese Foxconn Technology Group best known for assembling gadgets like iPhones and iPads for Apple Inc.

The success of the handset retailing for less than $200 could well decide the outcome of both BlackBerry's tie-up with the contract manufacturing giant and its own future in smartphones. The Z3 Jakarta Edition will hit store shelves on May 15.

"If this device allows them to grow again, even if it's just small, steady growth, that's a success in itself. That says there is still room for BlackBerry in Indonesia," said Ryan Lai, market analyst at consultancy IDC.

The Z3 is the first phone to be launched by BlackBerry since new Chief Executive John Chen took the helm late last year. After Indonesia it will be gradually introduced in six other countries including the Philippines, India, Vietnam and Malaysia.

Waterloo, Ontario-based BlackBerry hopes that the device and others to follow will help it claw back some of the collapse in its market share, ceded to Apple's iPhone and Samsung Electronics Co's line of Galaxy devices powered by Google Inc's Android operating system.

"If the market doesn't receive this product well, then we definitely have some negative issues to deal with," Chen said at the launch at Jakarta's Ritz-Carlton hotel. BlackBerry said it doesn't have an official sales target for the device, but Chen said he expects to sell millions of Z3 handsets around the world, without disclosing further details.

FROM 40 PCT TO 4 PCT

Just two years ago, the Canadian firm had a 40 percent share of the Indonesian market, shipping more than 600,000 handsets per quarter in a country once known as "BlackBerry Nation".

But the launch of the premium, high-priced BlackBerry 10 last year failed to attract buyers in a country where nearly 40 percent of the population live on about $2 a day. The company's market share has slumped to just 4 percent, with shipments of around 100,000 devices in the first quarter this year, according to IDC.

Indonesia is now dominated by Samsung, which sells about one of every three smartphones in Southeast Asia's largest economy.

Chen hopes that the Z3 and other devices to follow spark a change in the company's fortunes. The Z3 is being launched at a price point below $200 to address one of the big turnoffs for consumers in emerging markets - BlackBerry 10 devices being too pricey.

"From conception to delivery, the BlackBerry Z3 Jakarta Edition was designed specifically with our Indonesian customers in mind," Chen said in a statement. The device will allow users to type in Bahasa and come with a special set of BlackBerry Messenger, or BBM Stickers featuring local characters.

Later this year, BlackBerry will launch a new, non-touchscreen device dubbed the BlackBerry Classic in partnership with Foxconn. The handset will see a return of the command keys that include 'Menu,' 'Back,' 'Send' and 'End' buttons, along with a trackpad. BlackBerry hopes the move will address the concerns of those users who found their new devices hard to navigate.

For Foxconn, the tie-up fits with plans to set up a manufacturing plant in Indonesia to build smartphones and other electronic devices. The Taiwanese company's ambitions have been on hold since 2012 due to drawn-out talks over tax breaks, property and import restrictions.
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bea01-blackberry-launch.jpg
    bungaboy, jxnb, sidhuk and 6 others like this.
    05-13-14 06:34 AM
    BlackBerry unwraps the $190 midrange Z3 Jakarta Edition | ZDNet

BlackBerry has unveiled its a low-cost all-touch device, the Z3. The handset, which will be released exclusively in Indonesia, marks its best effort yet to win back its once-loyal fanbase in the country.

The five-inch smartphone will go on sale from 15 May for 2,199,000 Indonesian rupea ($190) via local partners including Erafone and Indosat.

It's one of the first smartphones to be launched under current CEO John Chen and an early product of BlackBerry's manufacturing partnership with Foxconn, announced late last year.

At under $200, the new device fills a significant gap in the company's smartphone lineup in Indonesia, where BlackBerry has historically enjoyed a loyal following that were not catered to by the higher-priced Z10, Q10, and Q5 devices.

"Priced affordably, the BlackBerry Z3, Jakarta Edition will extend the full capabilities of the BlackBerry 10 Operating System version 10.2.1 experience for a new generation of customers in Indonesia," Chen said.

According to analyst firm IDC, BlackBerry's historical focus on high-end devices has harmed its market share in Indonesia, which fell from 36 percent in 2012 to 14 percent in 2013.

And while the launch of BBM on Android may have opened up potential for the company beyond device sales, Android vendors angling for the sub-$200 market, such as Motorola and Nokia with its X devices, have used BBM’s popularity to lure BlackBerry fans across to their platforms.

Despite the low price, the BB10 OS Z3 still has reasonable specs, including a five-megapixel rear-facing camera and 1.1-megapixel front camera, 8GB of storage, a MicroSD slot, 1080p HD video recording, and a 540x960 pixel display. The Z3's application processor is a dual-core 1.2 GHz Qualcomm MSM8230, and the device is slated to give 15.5 hours talk-time from its 2,500 mAH battery. The dimensions of the device 140mm by 72.8mm, with 9.26m thickness — almost identical to BlackBerry's recently launched high-end Z30 all-touch smartphone, though with squared Xperia-like edges rather than Z30's curved frame.

The Z3 Jakarta Edition, with Jakarta inscribed on the back, has been launched exclusively for the Indonesian market. However, BlackBerry has indicated the device will also go on sale in India in future, where the company's shipments have also taken a a major hit in the past two years.
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-8d66b8884224460392778510080ef317.jpeg
    05-13-14 06:40 AM
    I like this quote from JC.

“BlackBerry has new technology and is financially stable,” he said at a news conference after the unveiling. “I think that’s got to be the first step — to explain that.”

“When people have no concerns about BlackBerry the company,” he added, “then the product will be cool again.”
    05-13-14 06:42 AM
    Let's hope the Z3 launch isn't getting lost in the midst of the Motorola announcements of the Moto E and LTE Moto G.
    05-13-14 06:47 AM
    For the record:
    BlackBerry Officially Unveils BlackBerry Z3, Jakarta Edition - Press Releases

Jakarta, Indonesia – BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ: BBRY; TSX: BB), a global leader in mobile communications, today introduced the new BlackBerry� Z3, Jakarta Edition at a launch event in Jakarta, Indonesia. The BlackBerry Z3, Jakarta Edition, will be available to customers from May 15, 2014. The device is expected to retail through authorized partners at a price of IDR 2,199,000.

The BlackBerry Z3, Jakarta Edition is built exclusively for Indonesia and provides BlackBerry users more ways to connect and share, with an experience built on reliable, secure communications. BlackBerry Z3, Jakarta Edition will keep Indonesian users better connected and more productive with a 5” display, long lasting battery and the best Bahasa typing experience on a touchscreen. A limited edition model featuring the inscription “Jakarta” on the back of the device will be available for a limited period, to commemorate the launch of the first BlackBerry smartphone built specifically for the Indonesia market.

BlackBerry Z3, Jakarta Edition users will also be able to enjoy content exclusive to Indonesia on their device, including a special set of BBM™ Stickers featuring local characters, The Punakawan, by Indonesian illustrator Susilo Saptoady. The Punakawan Stickers are available exclusively for BlackBerry Z3, Jakarta Edition users and are free for a limited time. In addition, BlackBerry Z3 users will be able to join local BBM Channels and get more updates from their favorite brands, communities and opinion leaders.

In Jakarta, Indonesia to launch BlackBerry Z3, Jakarta Edition, John Chen, Executive Chairman and CEO, BlackBerry, said: “BlackBerry has changed the way millions of people around the world stay connected. From conception to delivery, the BlackBerry Z3, Jakarta Edition was designed specifically with our Indonesian customers in mind. This device gives users more ways to connect, share and communicate, providing the best tool for secure, reliable communications and collaboration with friends, family and co-workers. Priced affordably, the BlackBerry Z3, Jakarta Edition will extend the full capabilities of the BlackBerry 10 Operating System version 10.2.1 experience for a new generation of customers in Indonesia.”

The new BlackBerry Z3, Jakarta Edition will be available at all BlackBerry Lifestyle stores in Indonesia as well as authorized partners for BlackBerry Z3, PT. Teletama Artha Mandiri (TAM) and PT. Mitra Telekomunikasi Selular (MTS).

For more information about the BlackBerry Z3, please visit BlackBerry Z3, Edisi Jakarta - Dengan Keyboard Bahasa Indonesia - Indonesia.
    05-13-14 06:54 AM
113,256 ... 26042605260626072608 ...