View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I think anyone over age 45 truly has no idea why they chose and iPhone. The same people buy athletic wear and couldn't run 1/4 mile if you paid them to.
    Quite possibly, although, some of us in that age group used first PDAs and the first smartphones. I guess I'm going to have to get used to someone who may have been in diapers when I bought my first mobile device (1995 US Robotics Pilot) telling me I don't know why I bought an iPhone
    05-10-14 10:59 AM
    Many questions and answers from the CEO.
    Why CEO John Chen believes BlackBerry will win the battle for survival - The Economic Times

What were your thoughts upon receiving the BlackBerry job offer?

I thought BlackBerry was an iconic company with a lot to offer, including more than 44,000 patents. However, I also saw that everything wasn't lined-up to take advantage of current market opportunities. After six months in the company, I along with my leadership team have a clear vision. We have engineered a new strategy to stabilize the company, focusing on several key areas to capitalize on our traditional strengths in security and enterprise, while also leveraging our QNX Embedded business to focus on future growth opportunities in machine-to-machine (M2M) communications. I've done this before and I wanted a new challenge. This is definitely a challenge, but one that my team and I are up for.

As the company's first outsider CEO, how did you prioritise your first steps?

I made it my top priority to meet with our customers around the world to instil confidence that BlackBerry was not going away anytime soon. I had to narrow the Company's broad approach on both enterprise and consumer markets. I decided it was only natural to pivot the company back to its roots in enterprise and security, which is built into everything we do, and we have been doing it longer and better than anyone else in the industry. Nothing is more secure than the BlackBerry platform and security will continue to be central to our strategy. As more confidential data is taken beyond the walls of organizations and into mobile devices, it is vital to ensure that mobile communications are not compromised. I believe in the values of this brand and I've assembled the right team and strategy with the strong confidence that we will rebuild BlackBerry for the benefit of all of our constituencies.

What kind of timeline are you looking at for the first signs of turnaround?

By the end of this fiscal year, we are forecasting our operations to be cash-flow positive. Within the next fiscal year, I expect to see the company turn a profit. Beyond monetary milestones, Blackberry has a cash and investment balance of $2.7 bn and we are well positioned to leverage these funds for acquisitions that help deliver value and springboard us into strategic growth areas. NantHealth is an example of how we are making strategic investments into companies that bring us into key regulated sectors such as healthcare. These investments will help us stabilize our position in the enterprise mobile computing industry, while creating a trajectory for future innovation efforts.

However, a turnaround isn't just about being cash flow positive or creating a near-term strategy. It's thinking long-term and identifying what will help us leapfrog current trends and to be a leader and not a follower. We also see long-term value in BlackBerry and in five years, we expect to have a major play in the M2M space. BlackBerry is well positioned to lead this charge as it looks to unite people and machines across the Internet of Things - from smartphones to in-vehicle telematics systems, smart appliances and much more. Everything will be connected and we would like to become a major hub of this next important technology wave.

What has been the most difficult fight till now, inside or outside the company?

The most difficult challenge has been turning external perceptions. BlackBerry is not just a smartphone manufacturer. It's a mobile solution company that takes a broader approach to servicing the needs of customers looking for secure technologies that drive productivity, communications and collaboration.

At a time when the focus is on enterprise, how will you make sure that your retail customers continue engaging with the brand?

We still have a very compelling proposition for our retail customers who see the value in our iconic keyboard. BlackBerry has invested years of research and development to create the world's best mobile keyboard, and that will continue to be a central differentiating focus for us. We will continue to offer customers a rich portfolio of secure devices across price points for multiple regions to enable improved productivity, enhanced security and overall communications experience. This week's pre-sale launch of our BlackBerry Z3 for Indonesia is a testament to how we are listening to our customers and delivering technologies that meet the needs of our core markets.

Additionally, we forged a joint device development and manufacturing agreement with Foxconn with an initial focus on development of a consumer smartphone for emerging markets. The BlackBerry Z3 is the first smartphone to emerge from our strategic partnership. It embodies all that BlackBerry 10 offers, with its exceptional productivity features and reliable communications, in a stylish, all-touch design made affordable for customers in Indonesia From a messenger perspective, BlackBerry has been a pioneer in the instant messaging space with BBM. We have made BBM available cross-wplatform to Android, iOS and we will add the Windows platform soon as well. BBM continues to deliver new functionality as a premier messaging platform that provides a simple and effective way to stay connected. BBM Channels is also a new introduction to BBM users, a great way for brands, organizations and individuals to drive deeper conversations with their fans and followers.

Why do you think that security loving corporates will bet on BlackBerry at a time when there are questions about the future of the company?

BlackBerry manages the mobile infrastructure of tens of thousands of customers worldwide, including all G7 governments, 16 of the G20 governments and 10 out of 10 largest global enterprises in each of the pharmaceutical, law firm and automotive industries. As more confidential data is taken beyond the walls of organizations and into mobile devices, it is vital to ensure that mobile communications are not compromised industries. BlackBerry is the most secure end-to-end communication platform, from the device, network to the server level. We offer enterprise customers the gold standard of security, a solutions framework that is not only versatile and device agnostic, but also scalable.

What are the top five learnings from Sybase's turnaround that you are applying in BlackBerry?

Both at Sybase and BlackBerry, I have been focused on rebuilding confidence both inside and outside the company. A key priority must be getting the "house" in order first, learning about the business and concentrating on the employees and core customers. When customers are happy, they stick with you, and that's positive for the shareholders. I also think it's important to have short, medium and long-term strategies. Often it is the medium-term strategy in play. I had to do that at Sybase many times. We'd try different strategies, and some worked and some were not as successful. But we found that if the short-term plan wasn't working, the medium-term plan would kick in. A lot of companies have only one plan. That's great if things go perfectly, but you don't always have that luxury, so that's why I find great value in having a plan with different layers.

At a time when the BlackBerry team is looking at you for answers, who do you go to when you have doubts?

I have been in this industry a long time, and I've been fortunate to meet some very talented people who I consider trusted advisors that I seek out to provide ideas and advice. I have also surrounded myself by a team that shares my excitement for the future of BlackBerry - and they bring skills that we need to make a turnaround happen. To us, there's no room for doubt.

This job will either make you a tech legend or you will join the list of CEOs under whose watch great companies went down. Doesn't the thought scare you?

I think the world would be a better place with a stronger BlackBerry and I wanted to help make that happen. I've successfully turned around companies before and this latest challenge doesn't scare me - it inspires me.
    05-10-14 12:54 PM
    "I've successfully turned around companies before and this latest challenge doesn't scare me - it inspires me."

How inspiring is that quote?

Posted via CB10
    05-10-14 01:17 PM
    will buy some more shares monday

Posted via CB10
    Mr BBRY likes this.
    05-10-14 01:21 PM
    Well well.
    Off line free maps. Native bb10 app. Only thing is no SD card installation support.
    Check out Navfree in BlackBerry World! You can find it at http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/54700890

Posted using Z30. Best of the best Smart phone in the world.

Edit: the only way I could successfully install large Canada map file when i turned off the cellular radio and kept only wifi radio on. this seems like very good map app once it is set up.
    Last edited by sidhuk; 05-11-14 at 11:38 AM.
    05-10-14 09:49 PM
    I'm not sure if this has been posted already, but Vodafone UK has stopped selling BlackBerry devices. As recently as a month or so ago they were selling them, but when I went into the shop to check out the Z30 again, they informed me that Vodafone no longer sells or supports BlackBerry.

This can't be regarded as a good thing, unfortunately. Vodafone is not a tiny carrier. So, that's Phones4U and Vodafone out, and who else? I'm not sure. Anyway, this isn't a huge shock, but it doesn't really help to have another huge company dump BlackBerry 10.

Join the Cause @ BlackBerry Bootleg Marketing Channel - C003483F4
    05-11-14 02:38 AM
    I'm not sure if this has been posted already, but Vodafone UK has stopped selling BlackBerry devices. As recently as a month or so ago they were selling them, but when I went into the shop to check out the Z30 again, they informed me that Vodafone no longer sells or supports BlackBerry.

This can't be regarded as a good thing, unfortunately. Vodafone is not a tiny carrier. So, that's Phones4U and Vodafone out, and who else? I'm not sure. Anyway, this isn't a huge shock, but it doesn't really help to have another huge company dump BlackBerry 10.

Three are dumping them as well - however I think vodafone still offers BBRY to corporate customers and the devices are still on the website (burning off stock?).
    05-11-14 03:59 AM
    Well, I suppose there is no point pretending this isn't bad, but I suppose there may be a SLIGHT benefit in taking BlackBerry out of the spotlight for a bit (I'm reaching here). There may be a feeble argument for the idea that it's better for BlackBerry not to be in shops if it isn't selling - can't complain or joke that they don't sell if they aren't available lol.

05-11-14 04:06 AM
    That's old old news, goes back to October of last year, factored into stock price already.

I say K cuz I can't spell K.
    05-11-14 07:58 AM
    That's old old news, goes back to October of last year, factored into stock price already.

Wasn't really talking about the stock price. It's just not that good, full stop. It may have been in the news last year, but the Z30 was in the Vodafone shops as recently as a month or so ago. Whether or not it's factored into the stock price, having the UK's major phone retailers simply stop selling BlackBerry devices is hard to spin as anything but a bad thing. It will certainly result in a lot of people thinking that BlackBerry really is dead, regardless of whether or not that is true.

As I said before, the only potential 'good' thing is that perhaps BlackBerry will benefit from getting off the stage for a bit and then returning with even better devices and an even more mature OS. App availability may suffer though.

05-11-14 08:29 AM

LoL,

happy mothers day.
    bungaboy and Shanerredflag like this.
    05-11-14 09:02 AM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-_74776146_spanishgp.jpg

Attachment 269565

Last edited by Corbu; 05-11-14 at 12:53 PM.
    05-11-14 09:47 AM
    Wasn't really talking about the stock price. It's just not that good, full stop. It may have been in the news last year, but the Z30 was in the Vodafone shops as recently as a month or so ago. Whether or not it's factored into the stock price, having the UK's major phone retailers simply stop selling BlackBerry devices is hard to spin as anything but a bad thing. It will certainly result in a lot of people thinking that BlackBerry really is dead, regardless of whether or not that is true.

As I said before, the only potential 'good' thing is that perhaps BlackBerry will benefit from getting off the stage for a bit and then returning with even better devices and an even more mature OS. App availability may suffer though.

Let's be honest. If BlackBerry phones were selling like hot cakes everywhere, do you really think the stock would be trading at $7? I wouldn't care much about these retail shops. They will sell whatever comsumers will buy and that can include BlackBerry phones.
    Shanerredflag and sidhuk like this.
    05-11-14 11:14 AM
    I miss how we use to have party time after hours and over the weekends on this thread. this thread wasnt only about BBRY.
    in other news. The blackberry Blend article on front page of CB. I like what i see in those pictures.
    however, I am sad that 96 comments and all positives? this must be blackberry pumpers onslaught.
    where have all the Dead Blackberry people gone?

I am not sure we should stop enjoying our play times in this thread just because some people hate our guts?
    Corbu, zyben, bungaboy and 5 others like this.
    05-11-14 11:26 AM
    From the Z3 pre-sales thread. Some thoughts on potential pre-sales figures.

Let's try back of napkin deductions:

According to IDC from the WSJ article here http://blogs.wsj.com/searealtime/201...-smart-phones/
    "Thirty percent of the close to 12 million smart phones shipped into Indonesia last year were priced between US$50 to US$150 "

So 30% of 12 mln is 4 mln.

According to this article from Jakarta globe BlackBerry's Indonesian market share slipped to 14%.
    http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/busin...martphone-war/

So, 14% of 4 mln is 560,000 phones. (in a year)

So what could we reasonably expect a pre-sales figure to look like of that total?

Dominate the MCAT C0012A8A6
    05-11-14 01:06 PM
    I miss how we use to have party time after hours and over the weekends on this thread. this thread wasnt only about BBRY.
    in other news. The blackberry Blend article on front page of CB. I like what i see in those pictures.
    however, I am sad that 96 comments and all positives? this must be blackberry pumpers onslaught.
    where have all the Dead Blackberry people gone?

I am not sure we should stop enjoying our play times in this thread just because some people hate our guts?
    The Dead BlackBerry All Star Troll Band. You can give 'em names if you want.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-dsc01338.jpg
    05-11-14 01:11 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01338.JPG 
Views:	2246 
Size:	256.6 KB 
ID:	269566
    seems like, last one just joined and came from this video.

bungaboy likes this.
    05-11-14 01:53 PM
    Who was it that preached the virtues of day trading short or long based on the smog report? He kinda started it a couple years ago. I remember reading his posts two and three times just to make certain I was actually understanding what he was talking about lol.

bungaboy likes this.
    05-11-14 02:01 PM
    seems like, last one just joined and came from this video.

I love that kid...I also love that he's someone else's. hah

05-11-14 02:04 PM
    Does anyone have an idea how much money BlackBerry spends on store displays/podiums and agreements with the carriers? Are we talking $10 million annually, 100+ million?

It's obviously not worth it, especially when staff won't even turn the devices on and will recommend alternatives to customers.

A Q10 is $399 on shopblackberry ($299 with code) and carriers have the audacity to mark them at $600 off contract and still take money from BlackBerry. It seems like a huge privilege to sign that contract.

If BlackBerry ends contracts with many carriers, I hope they will at least spend this budget on promoting the phones and shopblackberry online store.

Posted via CB10
    Bacon Munchers likes this.
    05-11-14 04:02 PM

Name:	DSC01338.JPG 
Views:	2246 
Size:	256.6 KB 
ID:	269566
    Perfection my bro!

Posted with my gorgeous Z30
    bungaboy and Superfly_FR like this.
    05-11-14 06:11 PM
    Sidhuk, for you bro! Bbq season is upon us so get ready for weekend pics of food and social events. Try this. This eclipses Bombay by a mile!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20140502_151815.jpg

05-11-14 06:19 PM
    Sidhuk, for you bro! Bbq season is upon us so get ready for weekend pics of food and social events. Try this. This eclipses Bombay by a mile!

Name:	IMG_20140502_151815.jpg 
Views:	2639 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	269661

Thanks for reminding Bro. Here. Just poured the first one. With Grapefruit peel instead.
    Cheers.

Posted using Z30. Best of the best Smart phone in the world.
    Attachment 269691
    05-11-14 07:30 PM
    Quite possibly, although, some of us in that age group used first PDAs and the first smartphones. I guess I'm going to have to get used to someone who may have been in diapers when I bought my first mobile device (1995 US Robotics Pilot) telling me I don't know why I bought an iPhone
    I'm 38.

I write software for a living.

I took my requirements and bought the phone that would make my life easier. I think there was an HTC that I considered.

I can't play some games. I tried running clash of clans at bowling (I'm in a league) . It worked mostly but some touch actions didn't work smoothly. They laughed. And I laughed back thinking, I don't care about games. I moved on with my life and don't miss Clash of Clans.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by kfh227; 05-13-14 at 09:08 AM.
    sidhuk, bungaboy, zyben and 2 others like this.
    05-11-14 07:50 PM
    Hey just a quick question for Morgan or Lagoon!

Is this guy chart valid? in respect to his quick analysis?
    https://twitter.com/newlife123/statu...706880/photo/1
    Hi Slipstream:

I just read your post. I agree with his chart overall, and my reasoning is the same as what Morgan mentioned in his post. The current SP appears to be a good buying opportunity to either add or start a position. The question is, what is his timeline for a "long" position? As I like to mention, everyone's timeline is different, and expectation is associated with the timeline.

In any case, here are my updated BBRY charts. Line e is still valid as long term uptrend line so far. Support is still around $7.10.

There is something interesting in the extended daily chart. I think, we have an inverse head and shoulders that started from July 2013. This was also pointed out on CNBC in early April. I wasn't that convinced at the time, but this pattern has become more valid given volume pattern, and other indicators so far. The CNBC guy thinks that this pattern will resolve to $20. My calculation shows around $16 - $17.

Daily:
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screen-shot-2014-05-12-2.15.34-am.png

Daily extended:
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screen-shot-2014-05-12-2.56.57-am.png

CNBC chart:
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-262461d1397265613t-i-support-bbry-i-buy-shares-screen-shot-2014-04-11-8.04.58-pm.png
    05-12-14 02:12 AM
113,256 ... 26032604260526062607 ...