View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

693 62.66%
  • No

413 37.34%
    You have summed the issue up well. No matter which way we spin it, Chen needs to stop with the equivocal comments. What good does saying 'well, I can't guarantee anything..' do ? I like the conservatism, and I understand that he wants to take pressure off the stock and company from people who are concerned about losing money on the device side of things, but if you ARE still selling devices, it's stupid to say anything that might hurt that part of the business. The message should be that BlackBerry is going nowhere, and that people and companies should feel safe committing to BlackBerry 10, etc.

Join the Cause @ BlackBerry Bootleg Marketing Channel - C003483F4
    To be fair to the guy he can't be too bullish about prospects or he will start to come off as delusional as Tommy "we will sell tens of millions of the Q10" Heins - it is a hard line to tread - especially as you have to figure he knows things we don't know and needs to anticipate not being caught out later.

sent from my bright red Nexus 5
    04-10-14 07:59 AM
    All is in order now.
    CB first blog post updated +
    http://crackberry.com/john-chen-blac...-any-time-soon

Back in town.

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, rarsen, morganplus8 and 5 others like this.
    04-10-14 08:15 AM
    04-10-14 08:21 AM
    The updated version of the Reuters article contains some bits that are not in the video. Some stuff, we already know, obviously.

For clarity's sake - and for "future reference" - I have redacted the interesting parts below. In blue, John Chen's specific quotes.

BlackBerry may consider exiting handsets, eyes investments | Reuters

Chen, who took the helm of the struggling company in November, said BlackBerry was also looking to invest in or team up with other companies in regulated industries such as healthcare, and financial and legal services, all of which require highly secure communications.

The chief executive said small acquisitions to strengthen BlackBerry's network security offerings were also possible.

"We are building an engineering team on the service side that is focused on security. We are building an engineering team on the device side that is focused on security. We will do some partnerships and we will probably, potentially do an M&A on security."

He said security had become more important to businesses and government since the revelations about U.S. surveillance made by former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden.

In a wide-ranging interview in New York, Chen acknowledged past management mistakes and said he had a long-term strategy to complement the short-term goals of staying afloat and stemming customer defections.

"You have to live short term. Maybe the prior management had the luxury to bet the world would come to it. I don't have the luxury at all. I'm losing money and burning cash."

Chen said BlackBerry remained on track to be cash-flow positive by the end of the current fiscal year, which runs to the end of February 2015, and to return to profit some time in the fiscal year after that.

Chen said his long-term plans for BlackBerry included competing in the burgeoning business of connecting all manner of devices, from kitchen appliances to automotive consoles to smartphones.

Chen said he was not sure how long it would take for the "machine-to-machine" or "M2M" world to become a mainstream business, but he said he was sure that was coming.

"We are not only interested in managing BlackBerry devices. We are interested in managing all devices that you would like to speak to each other," he said. "To achieve our dream of being a major player in M2M requires more partnerships with others," including telecom companies eager to participate.

Chen, viewed by tech industry insiders as a turnaround artist, wants BlackBerry to zero in on its core base of corporate and government clients, and on its services arm, which secures mobile devices on the internal networks of big clients.

Chen, who joined BlackBerry after it was unable to find a buyer in a sale process last year, said he was not fazed by recent acquisitions of companies offering similar services, such as Facebook Inc's $19 billion purchase of mobile messaging service Whatsapp.

"We are not going to go up against Whatsapp. We are going to be more focused on secure communications, secure messaging," he said of BlackBerry's BBM platform.

Chen said he was determined not to lose focus on the corporate and other customers that helped it build its global reach in the first place, and would not be tempted back into the much larger but more fickle consumer smartphone race.

"We are not going to spend any more money to maintain the latest version of Angry Birds," Chen said, referring to a wildly popular consumer mobile videogame.
    04-10-14 08:40 AM
    No matter which way we spin it, Chen needs to stop with the equivocal comments. What good does saying 'well, I can't guarantee anything..' do ? I like the conservatism, and I understand that he wants to take pressure off the stock and company from people who are concerned about losing money on the device side of things, but if you ARE still selling devices, it's stupid to say anything that might hurt that part of the business. The message should be that BlackBerry is going nowhere, and that people and companies should feel safe committing to BlackBerry 10, etc.
    One one side, it is good that Chen appears to be honest and straitforward - it's part of his charisma. And I really like it.
    On the other side it does not make any sence to make public predictions on what might happen in two years, if his current plan fails. In this case it's better to be vague or say nothing.

Good to see that Kevin made some corrections to the headline...
    04-10-14 09:20 AM
    Something confuses me:

"We are not going to go up against Whatsapp. We are going to be more focused on secure communications, secure messaging," he said of BlackBerry's BBM platform.

Chen said he was determined not to lose focus on the corporate and other customers that helped it build its global reach in the first place, and would not be tempted back into the much larger but more fickle consumer smartphone race.

"We are not going to spend any more money to maintain the latest version of Angry Birds," Chen said, referring to a wildly popular consumer mobile videogame.
    So... what's the corporate drive for BBM Stickers? yes I know they have a short-term revenue benefit but they don't fit in any sensible corporate play...
    gg22 likes this.
    04-10-14 09:27 AM
    Something confuses me:

So... what's the corporate drive for BBM Stickers? yes I know they have a short-term revenue benefit but they don't fit in any sensible corporate play...
    Except they are working out the bugs on "BBM store front"...and getting paid to do it, just a thought.

Is that a Z30...yes, yes it is.
    Corbu, zyben, Superfly_FR and 3 others like this.
    04-10-14 09:34 AM
    Except they are working out the bugs on "BBM store front"...and getting paid to do it, just a thought.

Is that a Z30...yes, yes it is.
    Exactly, it's the perfect beta test. start with something minor and then move on to selling bigger things like phones, accessories etc..

Posted via CB10
    04-10-14 09:43 AM
    Exactly, it's the perfect beta test. start with something minor and then move on to selling bigger things like phones, accessories
    Indeed. On this BBM matter, this, FWIW:

While BlackBerry has not revealed a set plan for the monetization of BlackBerry Messenger, there are currently three prevalent methods that could be ideal for their application. Either an advertisement-based, enterprise-based, or "add-on" solution.

The add-on method is already in use with the ability of BBM users to purchase stickers in the application. This won't support a large revenue flow, but it will gauge the users and allow BlackBerry to better understand its user base.

Linking BBM with an enterprise solution could be profitable for BlackBerry and separate it from the competition, but an advertisement-based revenue model seems superior.

Using BlackBerry's .64 CPM (cost per thousand impressions), BBM could generate upwards of $225 million in yearly revenue in its current state.

Combined with the additional information that BlackBerry obtains about its users through BBM Channels, as well as a possible desktop expansion, BBM may explode into another major social media network and even be a step ahead of many of its competitors.
    BlackBerry Is Headed for the Profit Patch - TheStreet
    04-10-14 09:53 AM
    CATSA is upgrading to BB10, as per my neighbor, who works there.

http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru.../#post10228225
    04-10-14 10:05 AM
    Something confuses me:

This is simply the one area in which Chen is out to lunch, unless he's just kidding. The idea of ignoring popular demands has been tried by BlackBerry; it's a tried and proven failed idea. Thankfully, BBM Stickers were indeed released, and it doesn't seem as though BlackBerry are giving up on being popular to the masses just yet. Again, no one in this day and age is going to want to maintain a 'serious' phone for work, and a fun phone for their personal lives. People are tired of that.

Businesspeople play angry birds, and Candy Crush and various others games, etc. that I don't care about personally, but that are a integral part of the mobile device experience people are looking for. Any plan of disparaging the 'masses' is doomed.

I hope Chen understands this. If you were selling soft drinks (Pepsi, say), it would make no sense to tell people that they should stop buying Coke, and drink Pepsi, but that you want them to drink your Pepsi whilst standing on one leg, or only when the sun is out, or only holding the Pepsi in their left hand. People don't want or need inconveniences standing in their way as little as they might be.

If they want Angry Birds, you'd better give them the damn birds, because Apple and Android are giving them that and more.

This 'BlackBerry person' that BlackBerry have been targeting in their generally awful ads (with some exceptions), simply doesn't exist. How much more obvious could that possibly be? There is no dichotomy between the 'serious businessperson' and Candy Crush playing, Angry Birds fan. BlackBerry need to stop narrowing and narrowing their made up target market who exist primarily in their imaginations, and embrace the target market that actually exists: serious businesspeople who want secure communications, AND all the popular apps. How anybody can look at the current state of the things and not see the obvious is beyond me.

04-10-14 10:15 AM
    OT/Rumour

"AT&T to release 10.2.1 on Monday"

This statement is from a BlackBerry associate from at BlackBerry Experience.

The same source also stated that the exclusive agreement with Verizon for the Z30 was for only 3 months and has expired. At&t would have the next carrier to carry the Z30 according to this source
    From BerryFlow
    04-10-14 10:22 AM
    Something confuses me:
    Channel isn't in enterprise scope for now. I see it as a first signal about "In BBM purchases" capabilities.

Speculation zone :
    Given the cross platform nature of BBM I won't be very surprised to find music and movies herein soon ...
    You see where it goes ?
    BBWorld for Apps <= BlackBerry10
    BBM for media and social <= cross platform
    e-BBM for Enterprise communications <= cross-platform
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-10-14 10:28 AM
    Video of John Chen on Fox Business Network this morning:

"BlackBerry CEO: I plan to make money in handset business"

On the Fox Business Network, Chen this morning told Maria Bartiromo that “I actually do plan on making money in the handset business and I don’t have any plans to jettison the handset business,” and that it may take six to eight quarters to do so.

“We love the handset business, and it’s really an identity for us,” said Chen.
    BlackBerry CEO: I plan to make money in handset business | On Air Videos | Fox Business
    04-10-14 10:32 AM
    The crazy thing is there is no bomb at all. But the headline suggests, that Chen has plans to drop the handset business when it will be not profitable anytime soon. It looks like he is getting impatience now, an he has specific plans. This is the way the people get it. Read the comments, how upset the readers are.

First, it's NO news at all that the business needs to make profit. Chen said this from day one.
    Second, he also said in the same context I dont have a plan to get rid of handsets and Im not running the company for a sale, which is the opposite of the headline suggestions. And he set the timeframe to 2 years to be profitable with handsets, which is more then I expected. To me it sounds like he has patience and wants to fight to make it profitable.
    It is natural, that BB needs to get rid of handset-business, when they still loose money in two years. There is absolutely no news and no bomb at all.

These headlines are made to upset customers and it's embarrassing that CrackBerry is spreading this *****.
    He is personally invested in the Classic which will not be available until November. He has to give that a chance so that's a year plus the 7 months to get there, so 2 years is about right.
    04-10-14 10:58 AM
    For those interested in the autonomous car space:

12 autonomous car articles worth reading

QNX Auto Blog: 12 autonomous car articles worth reading
    sidhuk, rarsen and bungaboy like this.
    04-10-14 11:24 AM
    Some more JC stuff, from NYC.

BlackBerry CEO admits it 'needs to win the enterprise back' to survive | ZDNet

NEW YORK — BlackBerry chief executive John Chen laughed off the comments made by Reuters in a press room filled with journalists, despite his stern tone in his Thursday blog post.
    Chen said at a press event in New York City that he "loves" the handset business, and further clarified comments published by Reuters on Wednesday. He said he was "still working on a way to make money in the handset business," but admitted that if there was not a way to make money in the handset business then "of course, I will rethink it."

He said these things take time, and was looking ahead to the future. "We're committed to [the handset business] and we're going to make it work," Chen said confidently.

BlackBerry remains a devices and services company, he said, with the two business units running independently but crucially together to create a whole end-to-end solution, he says.

That's key for the enterprise customer, he says, which remains the company's top priority. And he's going to win them back with better devices, stronger business and security solutions, and by listening to what its core faithful have to say.

Chen confirmed that the majority of its futures phones will have keyboards, but many will be just touchscreen. This was just one strand of a widely unknown and still shrouded push to "win back" the enterprise customer, which remains at the top of the company's priority list.

"We're going to build high-end phones, and concentrate on the enterprise," he said. But he noted that it's not just about selling millions of units. "That of course helps, but it's a combination of things," notably supporting its enterprise customers, selling servers, and supporting business customers.

"Outside the developing countries, like Indonesia, we have at least 20 percent market share there. We're going to push into further developing markets," he said, citing India and Thailand. "We like to participate in those markets — and we don't want to leave them. We get our customer base in the developing countries," Chen added.

He also said that BlackBerry doesn't want to announce a product six months ahead while it's still shipping its current product. "We figured that if we don't do that, the industry doesn't know what our plan is. All they see is a decline."

"It's a calculated risk that we're taking," he said. "So far from the customer response, the risk is well taken."

John Sims, BlackBerry's enterprise chief, confirmed after the PlayBook tablet flop, there are no specific plans for a tablet. Chen likes the plan for a tablet, Sims said, but declined to comment further.
    04-10-14 11:27 AM
    Ever since Zipperstein took over litigation, it's been win,win,win..

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, I have a Jewish Lawyer, and an Indian Accountant for good reasons....

So, was thinking that all we need to see strong upward movement is when our main strengths come to a merge:
    Stickers sales in emerging countries via BBM.
    Device numbers in same markets via Z3.
    Services via BES12.
    Software via QNX Automotive.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but it looks like Chen is moving all these areas to one head.
    If it happens, we may just see a definitive pop next ER.
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-10-14 11:44 AM
    Yeah, I have a Jewish Lawyer, and an Indian Accountant for good reasons....

So, was thinking that all we need to see strong upward movement is when our main strengths come to a merge:
    Stickers sales in emerging countries via BBM.
    Device numbers in same markets via Z3.
    Services via BES12.
    Software via QNX Automotive.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but it looks like Chen is moving all these areas to one head.
    If it happens, we may just see a definitive pop next ER.
    I think a lot of posters here will agree with you on that assessment, including myself.
    Unfortunately, it takes time and during this period the sp gets *****kicked like there's no tomorrow.
    04-10-14 11:53 AM
    OT/Rumour

From BerryFlow
    It is simply wrong, there was never any exclusive - it is just nobody wanted it - that was confirmed at launch - I'll post the link later.

sent from my bright red Nexus 5
    What's with the stock market today?

Posted via CB10
    Chen and the PR team moved pretty quickly on this misquote.

• C00087C61 - Non Traditional Premed
    • C00039A66 - Van City Coffee, finding the best Lattes around our beautiful city
    • C00124663 - Vancouver WhitecapsFC - A supporter and Capo's perspective
    04-10-14 11:57 AM
    This is simply the one area in which Chen is out to lunch, unless he's just kidding. The idea of ignoring popular demands has been tried by BlackBerry; it's a tried and proven failed idea. Thankfully, BBM Stickers were indeed released, and it doesn't seem as though BlackBerry are giving up on being popular to the masses just yet. Again, no one in this day and age is going to want to maintain a 'serious' phone for work, and a fun phone for their personal lives. People are tired of that.

Businesspeople play angry birds, and Candy Crush and various others games, etc. that I don't care about personally, but that are a integral part of the mobile device experience people are looking for. Any plan of disparaging the 'masses' is doomed.

I hope Chen understands this. If you were selling soft drinks (Pepsi, say), it would make no sense to tell people that they should stop buying Coke, and drink Pepsi, but that you want them to drink your Pepsi whilst standing on one leg, or only when the sun is out, or only holding the Pepsi in their left hand. People don't want or need inconveniences standing in their way as little as they might be.

If they want Angry Birds, you'd better give them the damn birds, because Apple and Android are giving them that and more.

This 'BlackBerry person' that BlackBerry have been targeting in their generally awful ads (with some exceptions), simply doesn't exist. How much more obvious could that possibly be? There is no dichotomy between the 'serious businessperson' and Candy Crush playing, Angry Birds fan. BlackBerry need to stop narrowing and narrowing their made up target market who exist primarily in their imaginations, and embrace the target market that actually exists: serious businesspeople who want secure communications, AND all the popular apps. How anybody can look at the current state of the things and not see the obvious is beyond me.

Great post as usual, but I have only one pertinent disagreement:

I am Owner/Operator of two businesses, so that qualifies me to live in both worlds (CEO and employee), and can honestly say that the only thing that I miss from my iPhone, is the headless integration that Apple had with their music and podcast player (still the best).
    Aside from that, I can truly say that both my Z10 and Z30 are the coolest, most masculine, and nearly-perfect featured devices tailored to my age group (mid 40's) that I have ever held in my hand. I have MS, Android, Apple, and, oh yeah, BB7 devices, but the bb10 is my favorite.
    My only beef with them, is that I feel that the OS requires more refinement than the others' mentioned. This is changing at a higher rate than the other's too.
    I have my Z10 running the latest (dare I say) 'leak', and BlackBerry has some real cool features coming down the pike.

Personally, not a gimmick or apps guy, just need to get stuff done, while allowing me to 'take the top down' during the off-hours.

Here's to the future...
    04-10-14 12:19 PM
    with the crushing of the nasdaq, we are holding up pretty nicely here
    sidhuk and techvisor like this.
    04-10-14 12:24 PM
    with the crushing of the nasdaq, we are holding up pretty nicely here
    I agree, BBRY is holding up well. Can't say the same for the Biotechs today... Oh the humanity!

Am I insane to say, "Buying opportunity"?
    04-10-14 12:59 PM
105,486 ... 25582559256025612562 ...