View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

693 62.66%
  • No

413 37.34%
    I don't know if it is the shorts or lack of buyers. Did Chen give anyone a reason to buy today. I think its fair to say that they are meeting plan, but not exceeding it. You've had a big price run up since the last ER.

I am not saying I believe this, but I think it is not irrational to have the take away from the numbers that BBMx has slowed dramatically and BES uptake is not going that well. We can and did debate the -08 v -80 EPS but there is no doubt there was a top line (revenue) miss and the street hates that the last year or so.

Mostly, and this is just a gut feeling, Chen didn't see quite as optimistic this time. He seemed more cautious and a little less enthusiastic. I still think he is very good and WAY better than TH.

Overall, I just think its lack of a reason to buy and when you have people who want to sell and less people who want to buy, the SP goes down or hovers around flat. Still almost 2 hours left in the session and anything can happen.
    Im sorry but the street doesnt change its mind that fast. Up 7 percent in the morning on the news then later in the days there is lack of buyers. Doesn't work like that , next short report we will see a good size increase in shorts
    03-28-14 01:24 PM
    It went up on last 2 ER for few reasons which is not applicable this time.
    - FoxCon agreement, surprise
    - Few longs jumped in
    - Shorts caught off guard resulted in 60 mil shorts covering
    - Chen himself as new CEO

I think its up to shorts tomorrow to see how much they will short more and retail longs sells who got in last few days and small traders. I think SP will tank 10 to 15% as no serious big longs will buy tomorrow and until they see firm hope of turn around and bit of cost control and profit. Remember they were able to short up to 184 mil and the latest interest was about 105 mil.

I guess I was right. It was good ER but no catalysts for longs to jump in like last time when SP was too low. Now it might be too high for some longs until they see the turn around for sure
    morganplus8 likes this.
    03-28-14 01:27 PM
    I don't think the analysts were impressed by what Chen had to say on the call and in interviews. First of all, that's a lot of talk of large enterprise software projects for a rapidly shrinking company. There's no real immediate answer to the continual decline in hardware sales. All the talk about hits to their web pages and selling online isn't going to impress anyone unless you are an actual web retailer like Amazon. Finally, the off-the-cuff comments like "We did a marketing survey of one and decided to call it 'Classic'" is entertaining but a little concerning if he's betting your shareholder money on it.
    OMGitworks likes this.
    03-28-14 01:34 PM
    Im sorry but the street doesnt change its mind that fast. Up 7 percent in the morning on the news then later in the days there is lack of buyers. Doesn't work like that , next short report we will see a good size increase in shorts
    We will see - but I think you are overestimating the power of the shorts to pile in here. The Street is extremely fickle and as I mentioned I don't think the conf. call was reassuring to them. We shall see, but BBRY is still standing!!!!
    03-28-14 01:38 PM
    We will see - but I think you are overestimating the power of the shorts to pile in here. The Street is extremely fickle and as I mentioned I don't think the conf. call was reassuring to them. We shall see, but BBRY is still standing!!!!
    Hardly , down 5 percent
    03-28-14 01:41 PM
    Doom and Gloom Gang is on. This is the company that suppose to be dead two three years ago.
    Blackberry achieved certain things one quarter earlier than chan originally predicted.
    I am long and I am happy for today's results.
    I remember taking hits of 30% after every earnings.
    Posted using Z30. Best of the best Smart phone in the world.
    ibpluto, daithiD, jxnb and 7 others like this.
    03-28-14 01:42 PM
    Hardly , down 5 percent
    True but still plenty of cash on hand and still way up in the last 3 months so I chose to look past one day and look where BBRY was prior to Chen and I think that while BBRYs future isn't guaranteed, it went from a 25%chance to a 50% chance of survival.
    Corbu, jxnb, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    03-28-14 02:04 PM
    True but still plenty of cash on hand and still way up in the last 3 months so I chose to look past one day and look where BBRY was prior to Chen and I think that while BBRYs future isn't guaranteed, it went from a 25%chance to a 50% chance of survival.
    I also look at it like that but just hurts to see a paper loss like that
    daithiD, OMGitworks and bungaboy like this.
    03-28-14 02:07 PM
    FWIW...

TD Securities Comments on BlackBerry (BBRY) Q4

TD Securities maintained a Hold rating on BlackBerry (NASDAQ: BBRY) with a price target of $10.50. Comments follow Q4 results.

Analyst Scott Penner said, "We think the share price reaction reflects the market comfort that management has bolstered liquidity and cut costs… Operating expenses down 30% Q/Q was the biggest Q4 surprise. Total cash was $2.66b and net cash was $1.41b ($2.67/share). Coming in Q1 are a likely tax receivable (we estimate $273mm) and real estate sales (we estimate $500mm). …but not a lot of new information was given regarding the future growth strategy. Simply put, we did not find a lot incremental relative to recent press releases and media reports."

"We maintain a HOLD rating on BlackBerry and a $10.50 target. We expect the company to continue to trade within an estimated trading range of $6-$11, supported at the low-end by forecast cash and patent value. The upper end includes preliminary estimates for BES10/MDM ($3.07 per share), BBM $1.52 per share) and QNX ($0.57 per share) assets," he added.
    "Between 6 and 11". This guy knows how to live dangerously.
    jxnb, rarsen, bungaboy and 2 others like this.
    03-28-14 02:22 PM
    03-28-14 02:23 PM
    BlackBerry Has a New Agenda and a New Dilemma

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/0...a-new-dilemma/
    03-28-14 02:26 PM
    Shifting assets and numbers around does not lead to long term survival. SELLING a product, either hardware or software is what leads to long term survival. Didn't see any "real" indication that is going to happen in the near term. Anyone can SAY they hope to turn sales around.
    BThunderW, gg22 and techvisor like this.
    03-28-14 02:40 PM
    Shifting assets and numbers around does not lead to long term survival. SELLING a product, either hardware or software is what leads to long term survival. Didn't see any "real" indication that is going to happen in the near term. Anyone can SAY they hope to turn sales around.
    Handset sales seems to be under rated by Blackberry. Even with all the other things that Blackberry has going on, I do not see them going forward in a positive direction without users. They needed a new killer device yesterday. Sorry for the negative but I hate to see what BBRY is doing right now.

Have a good weekend folks!
    03-28-14 02:45 PM
    What!!??

Someone who makes more sense and brings a different perspective! I can't believe it...

Video - Is BlackBerry Showing Signs of Life? - WSJ.com
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-28-14 02:46 PM
    somebody working hard to make the puts cash in.....
    03-28-14 02:55 PM
    03-28-14 02:59 PM
    somebody working hard to make the puts cash in.....
    makes me sick
    03-28-14 02:59 PM
    Have to wonder how much I could have made by shorting BBRY after every call......
    techvisor and CDM76 like this.
    03-28-14 03:04 PM
    Wtf ....
    It looks like this time the JC interviews were good for about -$1 per share.
    03-28-14 03:04 PM
    i think a lot of traders were expecting another rally like the last time, didn't happen, and they had to reverse their positions. resulting in the sell off. should set up the next up move...
    03-28-14 03:38 PM
    Handset sales seems to be under rated by Blackberry. Even with all the other things that Blackberry has going on, I do not see them going forward in a positive direction without users. They needed a new killer device yesterday. Sorry for the negative but I hate to see what BBRY is doing right now.

Have a good weekend folks!
    Absolutely right. My motto hasn't changed for a long time: Sell the Damn Phones.

Phones sales bring apps and general popularity and positive sentiment towards the brand. The longer BlackBerry lose phone sales the longer enterprise will lag as waves of negative press hit the brand. BlackBerry could politely ask the media and the population to stop seeing them as a smartphone company, but that's not going to be very fruitful. Sell the damn phones, Chen.

PS - BlackBerry 'Classic' is a terrible idea, the name I mean. Bury the past - it smells. What BlackBerry think of as classic, the world thinks of as antiquated and embarrassing. Stop doing focus group surveys and listen to the ABCs of Apple thinking: consumers can't tell you what they need. Let's get some new devices out there, including a cheap but pretty phones for the kids, and high end phones, possibly branded like the Porsche ones: Mercedes edition? , along with two top shelf models that beat the HTC One M8. That's a very good looking phone. They've out in some food work there. There is no reason BlackBerry can't do the same. They don't even have to make money on the things in the short term. It's about rebuilding the brand and building the BlackBerry 10 user base.

Join the Cause @ BlackBerry Bootleg Marketing Channel - C003483F4
    CDM76 and the_sleuth like this.
    03-28-14 03:56 PM
    i think a lot of traders were expecting another rally like the last time, didn't happen, and they had to reverse their positions. resulting in the sell off. should set up the next up move...
    Can we assume that these traders sold for a loss then? I guess it is other people's money after all.

I for one can't complain though because I happily picked up more shares at $8.50. Traders can choose to buy high and sell low. But I much prefer to buy low and sell high.
    03-28-14 05:04 PM
    Hopefully today was just a reaction and we start moving up next week. I'd prefer to have ended in green but 7% is better than the 35% few quarters ago, that one really hurt

Posted via CB10
    BlackistheBerry likes this.
    03-28-14 05:17 PM
    maybe they had a loss and maybe they sold to protect their profit. does not matter...
    03-28-14 05:18 PM
    Makes me uneasy:
    750 cash burn (net new FF $$) is still quite worrying.

Hope to see continued reductions in SGA and R&D as it doesn't appear to fit this revenue level yet.

Also not excited about the bbmx slowdown.

Keen to see:
    Reception of the Z3

Contracts come of the DoD clearance as that should clear other corporates to gain some confidence in BlackBerry as a going concern.

Posted via CB10
    Bacon Munchers likes this.
    03-28-14 05:24 PM
105,694 ... 25322533253425352536 ...