View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    What this shows is that BlackBerry need to partner up.. BBM is better than Whatsapp, and Channels is gaining popularity as a social network which could turn out to be greater than Twitter. However, the industry is forming as we speak.

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8 likes this.
    02-19-14 04:37 PM
    What this shows is that BlackBerry need to partner up.. BBM is better than Whatsapp, and Channels is gaining popularity as a social network which could turn out to be greater than Twitter. However, the industry is forming as we speak.

Posted via CB10
    Who would you suggest partnering with?
    02-19-14 04:40 PM
    Back in mid December when analysts at Bernstein Research hiked their price target on BlackBerry (BBRY) from $4.50 to a lofty $5.50 they had this to say about BBM:

The large range of Bernstein’s sum-of-parts valuation is primarily attributable to confusion regarding how much BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) is worth (between $500 million and $5.5 billion, according to the analysts). The team has some blunt advice for management on this matter: sell BBM now, because the “messaging bubble” won’t last forever.
    https://businessincanada.com/2013/12...m-asset-value/
    bungaboy, jxnb, sidhuk and 1 others like this.
    02-19-14 04:43 PM
    Definitely bad news for BBM, Facebook has the users and money to make WhatsApp even bigger.

Link:
    Facebook - Current Report
    Yup. Definitely!

BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY) news: BlackBerry +8.4% AH following Facebook/WhatsApp deal - Seeking Alpha
    morganplus8, Corbu, sidhuk and 2 others like this.
    02-19-14 04:44 PM
    Seems the deal is $19 not $16 billion...
    02-19-14 04:46 PM
    Facebook is just trying to use there over valued stock before it crashes

That doesn't make any sense....$16 Billion of the deal was CASH. Only $3 Billion was stock. If the stock crashed to $0, they would have to pay an additional $3 Billion in cash, which compared to $16 Billion, is not that much more.......

Edit: Nevermind, it looks like it is $4 Billion in cash and $15 billion in stock.

It is however funny because last year there was speculation that Google wanted to buy Whatsapp for $1 Billion, it is now 16x what was originally speculated. However, there are a lot more subscribers now than before.
    Last edited by Andrew4life; 02-19-14 at 06:56 PM.
    02-19-14 04:51 PM
    That doesn't make any sense....$16 Billion of the deal was CASH. Only $3 Billion was stock. If the stock crashed to $0, they would have to pay an additional $3 Billion in cash, which compared to $16 Billion, is not that much more.......

It is however funny because last year there was speculation that Google wanted to buy Whatsapp for $1 Billion, it is now 16x what was originally speculated. However, there are a lot more subscribers now than before.
    "$12 billion worth of Facebook shares"
    02-19-14 04:52 PM
    Who would you suggest partnering with?
    - LinkedIn for networking
    - Groupon, Orbitz.. (just thinking out loud) for fun
    - Banks for BBM Money

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, Corbu, zyben and 2 others like this.
    02-19-14 04:53 PM
    Wow. That's a huge price for an application that really shouldn't be standalone. It should be built into the OS, like Apple and BBRY has done.

By the way, I don't think BBRY can every monetize messaging like this because BBRY will never read your messages and then sell the information therein to advertisers. That's the main point of this acquisition. Read everything you communicate and then sell a great profile of who you are to potential advertisers. So far BBRY and Apple won't do this, so the messaging they are carrying isn't as valuable to them.
    bungaboy, cgk, Bilaal and 4 others like this.
    02-19-14 04:53 PM
    Wow. That's a huge price for an application that really shouldn't be standalone. It should be built into the OS, like Apple and BBRY has done.

By the way, I don't think BBRY can every monetize messaging like this because BBRY will never read your messages and then sell the information therein to advertisers. That's the main point of this acquisition. Read everything you communicate and then sell a great profile of who you are to potential advertisers. So far BBRY and Apple won't do this, so the messaging they are carrying isn't as valuable to them.
    Yup.

And I am only too happy to say in this niche and outta that cesspool.
    Corbu, rarsen and sidhuk like this.
    02-19-14 05:00 PM

Great point.

Meanwhile over in T-Mobile land:

John Legere ‏@JohnLegere 33s
    If you want to stay on #blackberry, our offer is the best out there. Feel free to call me next time, Chen!
    02-19-14 05:02 PM
    I don't know the terms of that deal, but with the risk being pushed to Foxcomm, I have to think BBRY isn't going to see a lot of revenue from this deal. It does a lot of good things for them on the expense and risk sides, but revenue isn't going to be significant. I think the jakarta hand sets and BBM users it may generate are going to be almost impossible to monetize in any significant way, unless its 10's of millions. Even then, I don't see this a BBRy's future. It's why I scoff at trying to value BBM like a whatsapp or twitter or whatever. Those users have buying power and can be upsold. Jakarta users, at least to me, aren't BBRY's target audience going forward. Great BBRY could stay in that segment for "free" with Foxcomm. Software, enterprise, corporate handsets yes, low margin low revenue users not so much. YMMV and of course JMHO.......
    Not that I knew a WhatsApp deal was coming today, but....

This will be good for BBRY in the short run, but unless they act on it and spin BBM off or find a partner in the next 60-90 days, it will be bad news 6 months from now. It says the BBM users do have some value, but as I posted earlier, I think they aren't close to WhatsApp. Somebody just needs to take BBM out, not sure who but its good stuff for a big company to own. FB is over paying for WA with its over priced stock, so a good deal for them. Synergies, users, it will all sound great but is hard to pull off. Interesting times.

EDIT: Looks like BBRY settled down and could end AH trading where it closed on Friday, around 950-60. Tomorrow should be interesting
    02-19-14 05:38 PM
    Interesting, two main points.

1) as a Facebook investor I would be outraged. Facebook already have a messaging app don't they? How are they justifying paying anything for this. To me this just screams Facebook management panicking. They can see Fb fading and have to keep it relevant some how.

I don't think Facebook ever gained enough traction on mobile and they are trying to recreate that, plus potential new revenues from targeted ads.

2) great news for bbry, it looks as though the battleground for social media will be fought out in the mobile space. Channels and BBM were designed with this in mind, so they already have a headstart.

This also confirms to me enterprise is the right way to go. It is less crowded and you already have a distinct advantage, security and you are already embedded in many companies.

The further BlackBerry steps away from consumer and more to enterprise the better, short term. They can build their new base from here and expand out whilst all the behemoths swing at each other in the consumer section.

Posted via CB10
    rim4ever, bungaboy, rarsen and 7 others like this.
    02-19-14 06:02 PM
    Good commentary about the deal and implications for BlackBerry. Thanks, everyone.

I don't know anyone who uses WhatsApp, but I know FB messaging has a disappointing feature set. My question is what level of attachment WhatsApp users have to the app. Are they loyal, do they love it, or is it simply an ok app which they would leave if something better came along? Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, rarsen, jxnb and 3 others like this.
    02-19-14 06:13 PM
    Good commentary about the deal and implications for BlackBerry. Thanks, everyone.

I don't know anyone who uses WhatsApp, but I know FB messaging has a disappointing feature set. My question is what level of attachment WhatsApp users have to the app. Are they loyal, do they love it, or is it simply an ok app which they would leave if something better came along? Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    I use whatsapp quite a lot. The only reason I use whatsapp that much is simply because all of my friends are on whatsapp. It just works. You download the app, get the code and it finds every whatsapp contact for you. This is where bbm dissapoints me. You have to manually ask your friends for thei pin, and have to add them. It makes the process so complictaed - whereas whatsapp has everything set for you after the activation code is entered.

Black cards, Black cars - All BlackBerry-thing!
    Reed Richards and georg4BB like this.
    02-19-14 07:54 PM
    Interesting, two main points.

1) as a Facebook investor I would be outraged. Facebook already have a messaging app don't they? How are they justifying paying anything for this. To me this just screams Facebook management panicking. They can see Fb fading and have to keep it relevant some how.

I don't think Facebook ever gained enough traction on mobile and they are trying to recreate that, plus potential new revenues from targeted ads.

2) great news for bbry, it looks as though the battleground for social media will be fought out in the mobile space. Channels and BBM were designed with this in mind, so they already have a headstart.

This also confirms to me enterprise is the right way to go. It is less crowded and you already have a distinct advantage, security and you are already embedded in many companies.

The further BlackBerry steps away from consumer and more to enterprise the better, short term. They can build their new base from here and expand out whilst all the behemoths swing at each other in the consumer section.

Posted via CB10
    Bad news for BBM in the enterprise:

...Lync's milestones, including 29 percent growth in the last quarter, growth rates at double digits every quarter for more than five years and the achievement of a $1 billion revenue run-rate last year.
    Microsoft Lync is a secure cross-platform communication service for the enterprise.

Lync Conference: Microsoft Announces Age of 'Universal Communications' -- Redmondmag.com
    02-19-14 08:39 PM

Microsoft Lync is a secure cross-platform communication service for the enterprise.

Lync Conference: Microsoft Announces Age of 'Universal Communications' -- Redmondmag.com
    Microsoft secure? Lol that will be cracked open in days

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, bungaboy and rarsen like this.
    02-19-14 09:42 PM
    02-19-14 09:56 PM

Interesting they say universal, yet don't mention BlackBerry. Enterprise is a valuable market. It's no surprise everyone wants a piece of BlackBerry pie.
    zyben and rarsen like this.
    02-19-14 10:13 PM
    wowzers. facebook buying whatsapp for $19B is utterly ridiculous. If I were Google I'd be all over BB right now. Things are heating up and are going to get very interesting. So glad I bought back into BB two days ago. IMO things are looking up now.
    bungaboy, rarsen and Randeman like this.
    02-19-14 11:21 PM
    BlackBerry Enterprise IM already supports Lync and IBMs IM client as well integrated into one platform. Coupled with BBM you have an all one in one solution. Best of all worlds for BlackBerry Enterprise users.

Posted via CB10
    zyben, Korepab, georg4BB and 3 others like this.
    02-19-14 11:34 PM
    http://crackberry.com/blackberrys-ne...sical-keyboard

OK! BlackBerry just reinvented the "real" QWERTY keyboard!
    02-20-14 12:37 AM
    IMO to gain real traction, the BBM team will need to come up with a way to add people's telephone numbers.

Why not link a PIN to someone's telephone number and enable modification of the telephone number if someone was to get a new one so that their contact list stays intact?

This way BBM can search for both numbers as well as PINs in your contact list,... They'd only need to allow someone to set their telephone number to 'private'.

Many people put their numbers up on Facebook. This is how my Z10 pulls the info into my contacts list. Anyone who makes their number public wouldn't mind if people were to add them by number rather than PIN.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 03:15 AM
    Personally I don't mind not automatic contact it's on BBM. I have lots of contacts, mainly from work, and BBM is the people who I want to speak to . It's a great filter. Although I can see how other people may find it frustrating.

As for the person mentioning Lync. Investing is not about looking at the current market landscape. It is about investing now for what will be in the future.

You assume two things, 1) the market will not change, 2) current products trump future products.

Eg. MySpace has come and gone and was destroyed by Facebook. I would never invest in Facebook, 5 years from now i doubt they wi even be around. You wanted to invest in Facebook when they were a no name. That was where the money was.

On top of this as others have mentioned Microsoft is far from secure.

I believe the IM market will change considerably. I believe BBM is well positioned to take advantage of this change. So Lync is not really such a big problem.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 03:35 AM
    Personally I don't mind not automatic contact it's on BBM. I have lots of contacts, mainly from work, and BBM is the people who I want to speak to . It's a great filter. Although I can see how other people may find it frustrating.

As for the person mentioning Lync. Investing is not about looking at the current market landscape. It is about investing now for what will be in the future.

You assume two things, 1) the market will not change, 2) current products trump future products.

Eg. MySpace has come and gone and was destroyed by Facebook. I would never invest in Facebook, 5 years from now i doubt they wi even be around. You wanted to invest in Facebook when they were a no name. That was where the money was.

On top of this as others have mentioned Microsoft is far from secure.

I believe the IM market will change considerably. I believe BBM is well positioned to take advantage of this change. So Lync is not really such a big problem.

Posted via CB10
    I assume you're from Canada? :-) I'd love to communicate with my friends over BBM, so I end up installing it for them because they prefer to stick with Whatsapp. Weeks later I'm still their only contact since it's too much hassle to invite people over Facebook, e-mail,...

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 04:02 AM
113,250 ... 24332434243524362437 ...