View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

693 62.66%
  • No

413 37.34%
    I have worked for more than one technology company that has sold their buildings that they owned and then re-leased it back. The explanation to us was that the company was not in the real estate business and that for future growth it was better to use the money from the sale to re- invest back into the company. Also from an accounting point of view it was less costly to lease the property and avoid paying soaring property taxes and building maintenance. Neither of the companies I worked for were in any financial difficulties at the time the decisions were made to sell their properties and lease instead.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 11:03 PM
    I have worked for more than one technology company that has sold their buildings that they owned and then re-leased it back. The explanation to us was that the company was not in the real estate business and that for future growth it was better to use the money from the sale to re- invest back into the company. Also from an accounting point of view it was less costly to lease the property and avoid paying soaring property taxes and building maintenance. Neither of the companies I worked for were in any financial difficulties at the time the decisions were made to sell their properties and lease instead.

Posted via CB10
    That is exactly right. Owning property is not that different from owning stock. It is a bet that you know the future value. If you own real estate then you are in the real estate business. Since bbry is never going to have a real estate expert on staff why should it have large amounts of assets invested in real estate?

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8 and sidhuk like this.
    01-21-14 11:22 PM
    What was the previous management doing? Now, this is more like it! Be brutal to your competitors, Blackberry.
    Previous management, legal exec, had the balls to call out libel statements made by a competitor or investment company I can't recall and it made great news - it began a legal fight not sure how it finished though. But there was some effort to kick bullets in the balls, they all where not absent while sitting in their chairs.

Waiting for ? BlackBerry Q10 ? & Full Metal CB10!
    01-21-14 11:23 PM
    http://business.financialpost.com/20..._lsa=174c-5579

This article has pictures :-) ;-)

Don't forget they need cash for their project in Washington etc. Maybe we'll see them buy another company soon?!

Posted via CB10
    jxnb, bungaboy, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    01-22-14 01:05 AM
    I think Chen is up to something big here. They have plenty of cash for day to day operation for a long time. What exactly are they needing this money for?? Hmmmm

Posted via CB10
    Remember the Chen interview with bloomberg. He said BlackBerry had too high "fixed-cost" which he wanted to bring down to variable costs. And that is what he is doing by selling the property and leasing it back. Clever move.

Black cards, Black cars - all BlackBerry-thing!
    01-22-14 01:43 AM
    So IF we're looking at the same valuation as their previously sold land/buildings to the University of Waterloo, I believe it should translate into 373 Million USD.

Anyone with experience in real estate? I'm sure there's lots more to take into account then what I just did there :-)

Posted via CB10
    01-22-14 02:40 AM
    The positive spin may drive this stock to heaven ... IMHO.

BlackBerry CEO Fuels Rally by Refocusing on Businesses - Bloomberg

BlackBerry Ltd. (BB)s new chief executive officer is starting to win over Wall Street skeptics.

Bets against the smartphone maker have fallen to their lowest level in almost a year, according to research firm Markit. The shares are at a four-month high, and now the Canadian company is adding cash by selling off most of its real estate in its home country.

Almost three months into his tenure, John Chen is replenishing his executive ranks, refocusing on business users and promising more of the keyboard-based devices that first endeared BlackBerry to customers. While the company generates a mere fraction of the sales it recorded during its heyday, Chens strategy is beginning to yield results at a business that wrote off billions of dollars in unsold inventory last year.

Its like walking into a factory and the machinery is not humming, but you know theres a lot of value there if you can put it together and get it to work again, Don Yacktman, founder of Yacktman Asset Management, said in an interview. His Austin, Texas-based firm held 5.9 million BlackBerry shares as of Sept. 30, valued at about $59 million at yesterdays close. The stock was just dirt-cheap when you look at the assets.

BlackBerry is trading at 0.61 times its annual sales, compared with an average of 2.14 for stocks on the S&P 500 Technology Hardware & Equipment index.

Adam Emery, a spokesman for BlackBerry, declined to comment, citing company policy not to discuss stock movements.

BlackBerry jumped 9.4 percent to $9.93 at yesterdays close in New York, then climbed as much as 6.4 percent in late trading after the company announced its real-estate plans. The smartphone maker said it will sell 3 million square feet (280,000 square meters) of space, leasing back what it needs.
    Beefore, any decision would lead to doom and gloom.
    Now, if Chen is buying a toothpick, it's just the hype next gen !
    jxnb, bungaboy, erbby and 10 others like this.
    01-22-14 03:59 AM
    Gotta love Chen! What he has done in his short tenure is admirable!

He has the recipe to rebuild what has fallen, and its smelling damn good so far!

Black cards, Black cars - all BlackBerry-thing!
    georg4BB and rarsen like this.
    01-22-14 04:11 AM
    Or it shows that they are bleeding cash at a rate where they are forced to sell real estate then lease it back. I don't love this news but I could be wrong. The stock is responding positively after hours.

Posted via CB10
    Reminds me of Oddball . . .

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-oddball_says.jpg
    Superfly_FR, rarsen and sidhuk like this.
    01-22-14 05:03 AM
    It is not uncommon to lease space. Bbry can lay off some maintenence people and the books are easier to keep.

Posted via CB10
    Not to mention a reduction in tax liability, with the ability gained to write off lease payments as as a business expense.
    01-22-14 05:54 AM
    Not to mention a reduction in tax liability, with the ability gained to write off lease payments as as a business expense.
    Yeah. I work for a very large Canadian company (by Canadian standards) We dumped all of our real estate aside from HQ and our data centres. And we are not hurting for cash. Maintaining property is a huge experience. You can rent for cheaper. Half of our workforce is now mobile anyways which further reduces the need for space. Makes sense.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-14 06:03 AM
    Yeah. I work for a very large Canadian company (by Canadian standards) We dumped all of our real estate aside from HQ and our data centres. And we are not hurting for cash. Maintaining property is a huge experience. You can rent for cheaper. Half of our workforce is now mobile anyways which further reduces the need for space. Makes sense.

Posted via CB10

I was reminded of this.
    bungaboy, rarsen, sidhuk and 1 others like this.
    01-22-14 06:18 AM
    AirWatch is getting acquired for $1.175 billion cash. Perspective on the value of a MDM competitor.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101354162
    01-22-14 06:40 AM
    Place your bets while the wheel is spinning, people.
    Superfly_FR, sidhuk and BergerKing like this.
    01-22-14 06:54 AM
    Place your bets while the wheel is spinning, people.
    You would think there would be some profit taking soon . . . unless they are in for the long ride.
    sidhuk and BergerKing like this.
    01-22-14 07:27 AM
    I'm happy with the Z30!

Canucks pass on phablets

Canadians haven’t warmed up to phablets — a cross between a smartphone and a tablet — with quite the same fervour as others around the world, according to Deloitte.

Speaking at the annual Technology, Media & Telecommunications breakfast Tuesday in Halifax, Duncan Stewart predicted that sales of phablets — defined as a smartphone with a screen of five inches to 6.9 inches — will represent 25 per cent of the global smartphone market this year, or 300 million units.

However, sales across Canada will likely only be 15 to 20 per cent of the overall smartphone market. Stewart noted that Deloitte’s research has indicated that more than 50 per cent of Canadians are “very unlikely” to ever buy a phablet.

“Most people don’t like the idea,” Deloitte’s director of research for technology media and telecommunications said in a telephone interview after his presentation. “They don’t want a big phone. They want a small, convenient phone.

“If you ask a crowd, as I did in Halifax today, I think it was two people in the room had a phablet and maybe three were vaguely interested in maybe getting one, and that was out of like 70, 80, or 100 people.”

Overall, he said he expects global sales in devices such as smartphones, tablets, televisions and gaming consoles, which have grown 12 per cent annually since 2003, to plateau, failing to crack the $800 billion ceiling.

That means a greater focus on providing and purchasing content, Stewart said.

“Going forward, we’re probably going to hang on to those hardware bits longer, but spend more on content, apps … (and) things like data connections.”

However, an increasing number of seniors are now embracing smartphones.

Stewart predicted that there will be a 50 per cent increase in global year-over-year sales to seniors in 2014, with about 40 per cent of seniors owning a smartphone by year’s end.

But many of them aren’t using smartphones to connect via text messages or social media.

“The interesting twist here is that we are predicting that off of a very low base, the fast-growing smartphone market will be people 55 and up,” Stewart said. “And that is true, but the twist on it is that although they are buying smartphones, in many cases they continue to use them like feature phones.”

He said by the end of the year that the number of Canadians who will pay for TV through a traditional distributor and have at least one other land-line TV service will be 100 times greater than those who have “cut the cord” entirely.

It’s part of a phenomenon he calls “cord-stacking,” with many households subscribing to two or more content packages. He noted that by the end of the third quarter of 2013, 10,873 Canadian households stopped paying for traditional TV service.

“We hear about cord-cutting all the time, and the actual number of people doing it is significantly smaller than you would think.

“If somebody decides to pay $50 a month to the phone company instead of the cable company for the same package of TV channels, that’s not cord-cutting, it’s cord-switching.”

Other Deloitte predictions include an increase in eVisits. The consultations with medical professionals using technology such as Skype should reach 75 million in 2014 in North America, potentially saving over $3 billion compared with in-person doctor visits.

Canucks pass on phablets | The Chronicle Herald
    Shanerredflag and sidhuk like this.
    01-22-14 07:35 AM
    You would think there would be some profit taking soon . . . unless they are in for the long ride.
    Premarket is looking good so far (up 2.7%).

Not long ago, all the experts provided reasons why BlackBerry will die. Now they use the same items to point out why BlackBerry is worth a lot more than current SP.
    I guess it's not hard to be experts since they only look in the rear view mirror. LOL

I am about to board for a long flight, so will have to miss today's action. Will catch up tonight. Have a great day guys.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-14 07:37 AM
    PM still very bullish ... let's wait for the bell !
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-capture.png
    01-22-14 07:37 AM
    And this from the G&M

BlackBerry climbs
    In case you missed it, shares of BlackBerry Ltd. have been staging something of an awesome comeback.

Short sellers haven’t missed it, seemingly sensing a change in the wind.

In case you missed it, BlackBerry shares are on a remarkable roll - The Globe and Mail
    01-22-14 07:40 AM
    Premarket is looking good so far (up 2.7%).

Not long ago, all the experts provided reasons why BlackBerry will die. Now they use the same items to point out why BlackBerry is worth a lot more than current SP.
    I guess it's not hard to be experts since they only look in the rear view mirror. LOL

I am about to board for a long flight, so will have to miss today's action. Will catch up tonight. Have a great day guys.

Posted via CB10
    Us BlackBerry guys like long rides! LoL

Travel safe.
    01-22-14 07:43 AM
    Best roller coaster I've ever been on.
    01-22-14 07:46 AM
    There was a rainbow casting out of the BlackBerry buildings today. Rainbows = Gold, Gold = Green. Happy hump day
    01-22-14 07:59 AM
    Z5 anyone? Rumours?

Zee Z30 pozted thiz
    bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    01-22-14 08:00 AM
    Andrew Left of Citron had a six minute interview with BNN and spent it talking BBRY.

BNN Video Player
    01-22-14 08:00 AM
    AirWatch is getting acquired for $1.175 billion cash. Perspective on the value of a MDM competitor.

VMware to acquire mobile device software maker AirWatch
    StockTwits traders were buying Blackberry $BBRY this morning on the back of VMWare’s $VMW takever of AirWatch, a provider of mobile device management for enterprise.

AirWatch has 10,000 customers, but posted just $125 mln to $150 mln in revenue last year, estimates ISI’s Brian Marshall, leading cashtaggers to the enterprise elephant in the room: Blackberry.
    01-22-14 08:06 AM
105,649 ... 23722373237423752376 ...