View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    This a bro deal or can anybody get this? Z30 that is?

Posted with my gorgeous Z30
    Yeah..
    I'll take a couple too.

Happy for everyone on here...it ain't easy being long but sure is rewarding on the good days.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-13 10:30 PM
    What a day!!! What a wonderful (mainly troll/trasher/hater free day)!

To top it off I was able to but another new Z30 at Future Shop outright for $450.00!!!! What a great deal!

Happy, happy, happy.

And thanks for the wonderful tip on such a good buying opportunity you bleepin bleep. Ha ha ha. I picked up another 2,000 shares just for you.
    Absolutely perfect, could not have said it better myself
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-20-13 11:31 PM
    What a day. Kudos to the longs.

For the sake of remaining grounded:

- next quarter will likely be equally bad but with fewer write-downs.

- net cash burn was a little under 400 mln despite a lot of new cash in the quarter (prem investment and taxes)

Still nice to see the green and a coherent plan for losing the anchor that was the in-house devices business.

Van City Coffee ; WhitecapsFC ; PreMed Community ; Bristol Rovers Football Club
    12-20-13 11:32 PM
    Good. [Most] Analysts completely ignore the 1B+ in RE value in a SOP analysis. Sell off some pieces and add to the cash pile.
    bungaboy and morganplus8 like this.
    12-21-13 12:19 AM
    $6.70 CAD on TSX. Kid Vibe lent me his Balls of Steel.
    Nice job. This was a great week for my play portfolio. The big HALO jump now the big BBRY jump. Considering I only had those two as my holdings

Should be an exciting 1H of 2014. Still hoping for GPS!
    12-21-13 12:25 AM
    Gang, we're back on business. They're back to their roots, so do we.
    Time for our little prayer and warning, as in OP :

Call me a dreamer, a fanatic, a fool or whatever, I'm just buying some RIM shares right now.
    While I think it can't really hurt me and I may have a delicious surprise in,say, 5 years, I'm not doing this in a speculative vision, just a support action. As my savings are low, I'll not spend a lot, so maybe I'll buy only 5.

How many of us (and friends) can afford this ? I don't know ...
    But if we actively buzz this, it may ... oh, yes, I'm a dreamer...
    But just imagine 10% of BB users claiming five shares ...

P.S: Yes, I'm a part of the 99% : I have no other share anywhere.

Edited 09/22/2012 : The original title "I support RIM : I buy share" was misleading many contributors. As of date, I modified my #1 post title and ask mods for the thread title change with : "I support RIM and I buy share". Slight difference, but I believe it gives another meaning to this sentence, closer to my opinion.

Edited 02/04/2013
    : RIM have changed their name to BlackBerry. Therefore, the title change to "I support BBRY and I buy shares !". P.S : This change is subject to mod appreciation so that it may not appear clearly in the forum ... (done : THANK YOU whoever is pressing the button !)

Edited 12/21/2013 : M. Chen is now CEO of BlackBerry and we've seen the best E.R (with a +16% stock day performance) for years. Yet, we all remain cautious an prudent. As an additional warning, I'd like to quote Chris' blog post :
    Betting on the stock is a bet on the company’s ability to stem the losses on hardware while building up new revenue in the enterprise business. If you’re convinced they can succeed, you should probably buy the stock (and you get any potential BBM upside for free at this point). Otherwise stay away. And no matter what … take responsibility for your own decisions. If you’re going to complain and blame someone else for an investment loss then you are not enough of a grown up to own stocks.
    PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

If you're not used to deal with stocks, the following should be your starting point.

1. This is real money. Your money. There's no tryouts nor refunds.
    2. You must establish what is your capacity before entering the game. Set it and keep it as an absolute limit (you can add later, depending on your revenues profile). Generally, something like 15% of your currently available and free cash is a reasonable amount. Do not speculate with money you don't own in full (credit). If you lose, don't rely on things like "averaging down" or "buy on dips" unless you have additional cash that fits with this rule.
    3. Stay calm. Looking at the stock on a day basis is hard for your nerves. Either good or bad, fluctuations can happen very fast.
    4. We are a drop in the bucket, even those of us with 100s K $ in the game are nothing if we compare to the global cap (count in $K Billions)
    5. Those playing "against" you have more power, more money and know how the market can react. You don't. Do not use "everyday" logic here. This "game" has its own rules and it takes a while to understand/accept them.
    6. One possible approach is to play "long" (counting in years), this particular approach is the one I suggested when starting this thread back in Feb 2011. I personally stick to this approach, as it appears to be somehow the most adapted for rookies like us, engaging tiny amounts and with very limited skills. Be careful about fees/taxes you may have to pay for each transaction: they can ruin your gains easily.
    7. Please be aware that if you consider investing in stocks, mixing different companies and types of investments (ex : safe, aggressive, short term, long term) is highly recommended.
    8. Last but not least : stay humble and prudent.

Disclaimer : By no mean I intend to forecast a raise of the shares or any kind of advantage. You have to perform your own research. Positions, experiences, questions and suggestions made in this thread are personal views and NOT authorized investment instructions. Be aware that You can lose everything and neither I nor any contributor in this thread will be responsible for this in any circumstance.

Good luck !
    12-21-13 03:26 AM
    And now, ladies and gents ... I'll dare :

? What about our $100 party ?
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-isupport-1-.png
    Let's get things done !
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 12-21-13 at 04:35 AM.
    zyben, plasmid_boy, jxnb and 7 others like this.
    12-21-13 03:49 AM
    I am out in the sticks for Christmas and the wifi is poor - before I get caught off, what was the inventory write down on? I cannot find it in release or call.

Speaking of the call - anyone notice the hint of an android phone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    12-21-13 04:55 AM
    I am out in the sticks for Christmas and the wifi is poor - before I get caught off, what was the inventory write down on? I cannot find it in release or call.
    The overall earnings numbers this quarter are not good. BlackBerry will take a primarily non-cash, pre-tax charge against inventory and supply commitments of approximately $1.6 billion. In plain terms, we are acknowledging that we have inventory that is losing value by the day – devices that aren’t selling and warehoused components to produce even more in-market devices. This contributed significantly to a loss of $4.4 billion in this quarter.
    For the Android phone, I've not noticed any hint, more likely how to bring BlackBerry (apps/features) into iOs AND Android (where HTML5 may be back in force ?).
    12-21-13 05:34 AM
    This a bro deal or can anybody get this? Z30 that is?

Sorry Ben. I had to use my good looks and personality to get it for $450. LoL

I dealt directly with the store manager who appreciated all the business I give his store. I had previously bought 6 Z10s, 1 Q10 and 1 Z30 from them.

I asked him straight up for a deal.

It never hurts to ask for a deal. The worst thing that can happen is they say . . . No.
    rarsen, BlackistheBerry and sidhuk like this.
    12-21-13 06:39 AM

If you read Chens letter to his employees yesterday, he pretty much describes how the write down was derived. Pretty much all inventory, parts, etc. Anything to do with the hardware side. All the tools of the trade. Since Foxconn is taking over the hardware build, may as well.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-21-13 07:27 AM
    Sorry Ben. I had to use my good looks and personality to get it for $450. LoL

I dealt directly with the store manager who appreciated all the business I give his store. I had previously bought 6 Z10s, 1 Q10 and 1 Z30 from them.

I asked him straight up for a deal.

It never hurts to ask for a deal. The worst thing that can happen is they say . . . No.
    No worries mate. I have the same relationship with the manager at Best Buy in Kelowna. Just getting my facts straight before I see him about another 30.

sidhuk and bungaboy like this.
    12-21-13 07:55 AM
    Mr. Chen came out swinging on Friday on his first big day in the public spotlight, vowing that BlackBerry’s time as a punchline is over

...we lost some valuable market time that people have taken advantage of. From this point on, the fun for them will be greatly curtailed, and they’re going to have to earn their living, not just by saying BlackBerry is dead
    BlackBerry Ltd CEO John Chen comes out swinging, vows days of mocking smartphone firm are over | Financial Post
    rarsen, bungaboy, jxnb and 11 others like this.
    12-21-13 08:26 AM
    Quote of the century

"From this point on, the fun for them will be greatly curtailed, and they're going to have to earn their living, not just by saying BlackBerry is dead"

Posted via CB10
    12-21-13 08:38 AM
    No worries mate. I have the same relationship with the manager at Best Buy in Kelowna. Just getting my facts straight before I see him about another 30.

PM me if you need a copy of the receipt if they won't play ball with you. It was a Telus Z30. which I will unlock for use on Bell.
    sidhuk likes this.
    12-21-13 09:14 AM
    So many good quotes in this story, I had to extract them:
    “While we were busy doing that, we lost some valuable market time that people have taken advantage of. From this point on, the fun for them will be greatly curtailed, and they’re going to have to earn their living, not just by saying BlackBerry is dead.”

“We have taken our inventory down to the level of the handsets we expect to sell,” Mr. Chen said. “We now officially, greatly [have] eliminated the risk of any more inventory writedowns because I’m not building up inventory … I’m hoping my investors will not see another writedown of any sort on inventory.”

“My No. 1 thing 45 days ago when I came here, I said to all of the teams, whatever it takes, we’re going to make money in handsets,” he said. “It could be a very small amount of money, but we’re not going to lose money.”

“If your underlying handset operating system is not secure, it doesn’t matter what layer you put on it … you have risk,” Mr. Chen said. “But regulated industry can not handle risk. They just can’t. That’s why it’s called regulated. This is why the government still uses us.”

“The people I have met with would love to have BlackBerry come back with a robust solution,” he said. “It’s my responsibility to offer them something more than just the MDM, and that is how I hope I can win [them] back.”

“I’m going to take the fight to the market, and I think D.C. is very important,” Mr. Chen said.
    You've got to love what JC has done in 45 days. Let's see what he does in the next 12 months. With the company expected to be cash-flow neutral by the end of the next fiscal year and profitable in fiscal 2016, we should start taking bets on where the SP will be then...

Meanwhile, it will be interesting watching him continue on weaving his web...
    12-21-13 09:51 AM
    PM me if you need a copy of the receipt if they won't play ball with you. It was a Telus Z30. which I will unlock for use on Bell.
    Did the same with my Z30. Telus to Bell. Thank you very much I will PM you!

bungaboy likes this.
    12-21-13 10:07 AM
    Did the same with my Z30. Telus to Bell. Thank you very much I will PM you!

Ask Bungaboy to PM you evidence of good looks and shiny personality too. Lo

Posted via CB10
    12-21-13 10:13 AM
    Ask Bungaboy to PM you evidence of good looks and shiny personality too. Lo

Posted via CB10
    Ack! Caught red handed!
    plasmid_boy and Shanerredflag like this.
    12-21-13 10:18 AM
    I had a discussion with Morgan the other day whereby I discussed a number of challenges for the company I saw coming for this quarter including:
    1) additional hardware writedowns
    2) continued difficulty selling BB10 devices
    3) losses in excess of expectations owing to these and other factors not the least of which is right sizing the company.

While all of these things came to pass, Mr Chen was able to get the markets attention focused on what BlackBerry intends to do about it and this is what separates him from Mr. Heins in the end and why the markets reaction to these same challenges was so different this time.

I did not see the agreement with Foxconn coming and it will be interesting to see how BlackBerry leverages this relationship in the future.

In the end what could have been another troubling day without the C Suite change turned into a plus and it's very possible that this could mark a sea change in how the market views the company as quotes from Mr Chen so aptly indicate.

There is no doubts that there remain severe challenges for the company not the least of which is getting the market focused on the values of BB10 which has been a complete failure to this moment. As we near the 1 year anniversary of the release of the Z10, the number of BB10 phones in the wild is way too small and that has to change.

I note:

“We have taken our inventory down to the level of the handsets we expect to sell,” Mr. Chen said. “We now officially, greatly [have] eliminated the risk of any more inventory writedowns because I’m not building up inventory … I’m hoping my investors will not see another writedown of any sort on inventory.”

That leads me to believe that they have placed a great deal of the written down handsets into the hands of final users in recent days and perhaps we will hear about more deals like the Peugeot one soon? Lets hope so. That would also tell me that if you were thinking of waiting on a fire sale to get another BB10 phone, you might be disappointed going forward.

All in all it was a very good day yesterday.
    12-21-13 11:00 AM
    Not sure if anyone has posted this link yet, but have a look:

I really like Chen's responses. Just zip past the other speakers, as they sound like a den of fools in comparison to Chen.
    It is uncanny how his words line up directly with where he is going with BlackBerry.... Could he be a robot?

Merry CHRISTmas men!
    bungaboy, jfguay2, JLagoon and 2 others like this.
    12-21-13 04:11 PM
    Funny how it's starting to sound as though John Chen is the savior. .. and when we'll refer to a time before him, we' ll say before J.C., or 2 years before J.C. ! Sounds familiar doesnt it?

Posted via CB10
    La Emperor and bungaboy like this.
    12-21-13 04:45 PM
    Funny how it's starting to sound as though John Chen is the savior. .. and when we'll refer to a time before him, we' ll say before J.C., or 2 years before J.C. ! Sounds familiar doesnt it?

Posted via CB10
    Lol...
    And we will wear a flying B around our neck?

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, sidhuk and jfguay2 like this.
    12-21-13 05:02 PM
    From a general article with the list of companies which participated knowingly in spying PRISM operation:
    The year's top stories: Oracle crapware, Windows 8.1, the NSA, and more [2013 in Review] | ZDNet "
    bungaboy, sidhuk, Corbu and 5 others like this.
    12-21-13 06:09 PM
    The Earnings Call should have been scheduled for the 25th!
    12-21-13 06:20 PM
113,256 ... 22972298229923002301 ...