View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    But we are back to the question nobody can answer - who'd want it and why?
    Is that a serious question? You do realize that Lenovo was ready to put in a bid for ALL of BlackBerry but was denied by the Canadian government, right?
    Last edited by fedakd; 11-25-13 at 03:00 PM.
    11-25-13 02:46 PM
    Is that a serious question? You do realize that Lenovo was read to put in a bid for ALL of BlackBerry but was denied by the Canadian government, right?
    I realise there was a rumour but I've never seen evidence that it was actually true? Link?
    11-25-13 02:53 PM
    I realise there was a rumour but I've never seen evidence that it was actually true? Link?
    Not going to do your own research for you. I think anyone here can vouch for what I've stated re: Lenovo.
    11-25-13 03:01 PM
    Not going to do your own research for you. I think anyone here can vouch for what I've stated re: Lenovo.
    I've done my research, I've seen rumours, I've never seen anything that makes the rumour factual but I suppose anyone can vouch that there was a rumour that Lenovo were going to bid...
    11-25-13 03:05 PM
    WTF? Christmas is coming soon?
    Oh well, worry about it later...
    I, like you, shop much better when under serious time constraints. That is why on December 24th the shopping Centres/Mauls are 99% male shoppers.

My favourite "seasonal" expression . . . . . "You wrap it and I'll buy it!" LoL
    11-25-13 03:16 PM
    I've done my research, I've seen rumours, I've never seen anything that makes the rumour factual but I suppose anyone can vouch that there was a rumour that Lenovo were going to bid...
    Let's assume they do abandon BB10.. would that, in your opinion, be bearish or bullish for the stock?

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 03:17 PM
    Let's assume they do abandon BB10.. would that, in your opinion, be bearish or bullish for the stock?

Posted via CB10
    I honestly can't see them abandoning it. It's new and BlackBerry had a tarnished reputation before it came along. It really is a great OS and getting better all the time. Look at WP... it was out for how long before it started to gain traction? I think it would be a very big mistake to abandon it.
    11-25-13 03:45 PM
    Anyone notice that once again Chen puts out a press release that mentions everything but BB10 ?
    Completely unsurprising. BB as a devices company is finished. Selling small volumes of devices with niche appeal has been unsustainable for a while. You could add hologram projection video chat to BBM and it wouldn't be enough to bring significant numbers to BB10. Sadly, people who think John Chen is some sort of BB savior are kidding themselves.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    11-25-13 03:49 PM
    Completely unsurprising. BB as a devices company is finished. Selling small volumes of devices with niche appeal has been unsustainable for a while. You could add hologram projection video chat to BBM and it wouldn't be enough to bring significant numbers to BB10. Sadly, people who think John Chen is some sort of BB savior are kidding themselves.

Unfortunately you missed the part where he talked about making great devices. Thanks for dropping by though
    11-25-13 03:52 PM
    Maybe we should ask investor relations. Isn't that how Kevin often clears up rumours?

Posted via CB10
    plasmid_boy and bungaboy like this.
    11-25-13 03:55 PM
    I mean in terms of marketing, getting shelf space, agreeing promotions - that stuff is decided months out - if nothing was agree, it ain't going to happen in less than four weeks regardless of what the new guy decides - all the OTA updates don't change retail realities.
    Fair enough.
    Seems in France some good things have been planned already as we have Carrefour, one of the two distribution (hypermarkets) giants adding the whole BB10 range (Z30 included) for their Christmas setup.
    Now if these devices (and ASAP existing ones) can get 10.2.1... this would be very positive.

I know everybody's kissing frank goodbye, but I do believe this basic slot allotments was dealt before.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 04:07 PM
    I, like you, shop much better when under serious time constraints. That is why on December 24th the shopping Centres/Mauls are 99% male shoppers.

My favourite "seasonal" expression . . . . . "You wrap it and I'll buy it!" LoL
    Isn't it great that our lives are controlled by the people trying to sell us things that we don't need?
    'Buy, buy, buy, the more you buy the more love you have.' If you think about, it's too ridiculous to even trick a 3yo, but ironically we have all fallen for it.
    Not to mention the 'diamond is forever' bullshiiit... but no matter how logical I tried to present my case I still can't convince my wife otherwise...LOL
    sidhuk, bungaboy, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    11-25-13 04:35 PM
    OT:
    I picked up a few shares of FOLD at $2.0. It went up 6% today and another 11% after hour.
    I am not suggesting anyone to follow, because I don't know if it's a good stock or not.
    Would someone do me a favor and draw a chart? I would like to know when I should cash in.
    Thanks!
    sidhuk and bungaboy like this.
    11-25-13 04:45 PM
    From the G&M:

Management shuffle at BlackBerry ‘just the beginning’ - The Globe and Mail

undefined
    "New BlackBerry executive chairman and interim CEO John Chen has begun what is expected to be an extensive purge of the company’s top ranks.

Gone are predecessor Thorsten Heins’s top lieutenants, chief operating officer Kristian Tear and chief marketing officer Frank Boulben, the company said Monday. Chief financial officer Brian Bidulka is also leaving, although he will remain a “special advisor” to the CEO for several months, and is being replaced by controller James Yersh. Roger Martin, the former dean of the University of Toronto’s Rotman School of Management, is leaving the board. Mr. Martin said in a statement he is focusing on non-Canadian appointments, adding that he felt the “transition that has just taken place at BlackBerry afforded a good time to step off that board without disrupting anything.” James Kerr also left the board this month.

“This is just the beginning; there will be more management changes,” said a source familiar with the situation, who added Mr. Chen is evaluating the senior ranks and removing those he deems to be ineffective: “It’s important to send a message to the broader staff in Waterloo that he’s serious about changing the culture.”

The shakeup is Mr. Chen’s first move since the former CEO of database software firm Sybase joined two weeks ago, upon the closing of a $1-billion recapitalization led by shareholder, Fairfax Financial Holdings. It comes less than a month before the release of third-quarter results many believe will show a continued deterioration of BlackBerry’s business. Given the uncertainty surrounding the company following a strategic review and an abandoned takeover bid by Fairfax, “we think that the ongoing business will continue to be significantly impaired,” Jefferies analyst Peter Misek said in a note.

Analysts polled by Bloomberg expect BlackBerry to post third-quarter revenues of $1.6-billion (U.S.), down 41 per cent year over year, and a loss of 41 cents per share, compared to a 22-cent loss.

Mr. Chen said in a statement he would “refine the company’s strategy,” though several observers noted he appears to be aligned with company’s current strategy of selling devices, managing fleets of smartphones for corporate and government customers and building its BlackBerry Messenger instant messaging service. The company is also in the midst of a steep cost- and job-cutting effort. “He needs to lay down his roadmap for investors to understand and follow,” said Veritas Investment Research analyst Neeraj Monga. “Then perhaps we can have an opinion about whether it will succeed or not. Certainly the management in place at BlackBerry has not been able to deliver on BlackBerry’s promises.”

Mr. Chen has only dropped one hint about strategic changes: He is a fan of the firm’s QNX software unit, whose systems enable automobiles to communicate wirelessly with dealers’ servers. “Nobody is really a leader” in the so-called “machine-to-machine” business but QNX has “all the ingredients” to become that, he told the Globe this month. The business now accounts for little of RIM’s revenues.

Mr. Heins made Mr. Tear and Mr. Boulben his two key hires after becoming CEO in early 2012. Each scored multimillion-dollar pay packages in their first year, charged with streamlining the company’s operations and supporting the launch of the BlackBerry 10 smartphone platform. But the two ran afoul of co-founder and former co-CEO Mike Lazaridis, telling him just before a board meeting last year they believed the market for keyboard-equipped mobile phones – RIM’s signature offering – was dead, the Globe reported in September.

An incensed Mr. Lazaridis told directors that it would be a mistake for BlackBerry to turn away from a product that had always done well with large customers and to focus on selling an all-touch smartphone in a market crowded with them. Although some directors, including Fairfax CEO Prem Watsa, agreed with him, management still led the BlackBerry 10 launch with an all-touch Z10 in January. The device sold poorly, as did the keyboard version, the Q10, which appeared several months later.

Mr. Boulben, who described himself as a “a high-tech global marketer with international charm” on the personal website for his August 2013 wedding to Donald Trump’s New York real estate broker Kim Mogull, also earned criticism for the marketing campaign that supported the Z10 launch, including a confusing Super Bowl advertisement which some board members hated. Some observers had questioned whether Mr. Boulben was the right person for the job after spending most of his career in Europe, while BlackBerry’s top issue was its waning business in the United States.""
    11-25-13 05:35 PM
    Question...without a CFO who signs off on the ER results in December?

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 07:10 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yersh will be the new CFO.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    Shanerredflag and Otech#CB like this.
    11-25-13 07:14 PM
    They have a CFO: James Yersh. Check the "management" web page: BlackBerry Executive Team - Canada
    Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    11-25-13 07:19 PM
    Thanks...

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 07:31 PM
    They have a CFO: James Yersh. Check the "management" web page: BlackBerry Executive Team - Canada
    A lean, mean fighting machine!
    11-25-13 07:33 PM
    Lol...busy day and I wasn't paying attention...then when I thought I was...I wasn't. lol

Sorry guys.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 07:34 PM
    Short interest out tomorrow. My guess is that it's higher. Days to cover already 13.5. BBRY trading below cash and volume is more anemic than ever. Good god, shorts must know something I don't, or they are hedged to perfection. Oh, wait, we already looked at that on this board...they aren't....

~ Edit
    I encourage everyone to have a look at this report. BBM is very close to Snapchat in terms of penetration and is outpacing it in terms of average minutes of use. Snapchat is worth $3,000,000,000 BBM is worth $0. Completely stunning:

http://www.mobidia.com/admin/news/36.pdf
    Last edited by fedakd; 11-25-13 at 07:59 PM.
    11-25-13 07:38 PM
    Short interest out tomorrow. My guess is that it's higher. Days to cover already 13.5. BBRY trading below cash and volume is more anemic than ever. Good god, shorts must know something I don't, or they are hedged to perfection. Oh, wait, we already looked at that on this board...they aren't....

~ Edit
    I encourage everyone to have a look at this report. BBM is very close to Snapchat in terms of penetration and is outpacing it in terms of average minutes of use. Snapchat is worth $3,000,000,000 BBM is worth $0. Completely stunning:

http://www.mobidia.com/admin/news/36.pdf
    I know it's sad. People really want BlackBerry to fail.

I find it more sad when Canadians want BlackBerry to fail
    Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 08:45 PM
    From Businessweek - Business News, Stock market & Financial Advice

Severance Packages

Bidulka will get a severance package worth about $3.06 million, based on a company filing in May. Boulben, who was named as marketing chief in May 2012, will receive about $2.27 million, made up of a combination of base pay, benefits, retirement savings and options. Tear, a former executive at Sony Mobile Communications whose hiring was announced the same time as Boulben, will get $1.52 million.
    11-25-13 09:09 PM

Google must have been full of idiots when they took on Apple. And I am sure Microsoft is a company of equally stupid people.
    11-25-13 11:03 PM
    Google must have been full of idiots when they took on Apple. And I am sure Microsoft is a company of equally stupid people.
    Context is everything - one had a successful strategy (plus cash) and the other has the cash to prop up its ailing OS - BB didn't have the first and certainly doesn't have the second, it has a stalled OS, a distribution network that is falling to pieces (for example in the UK, the second largest mobile retailer no longer carries BB10) and hundreds of million to play with in a sector that requires billions. Moreover, it has three EOL products that were never successful and one 'current' which is sold in so few places and has such little advertising anyway that it can't make a difference.
    11-26-13 01:04 AM
113,256 ... 22282229223022312232 ...