View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I don't see how this movement does anything to enrich children. In the future colleges will have to teach handwriting and there will be a major of cursive writing available.

I hate technology.

Posted via CB10
    I already have an issue where, because email is dead tech to younger students, I have to point out that finishing an email with xx isn't considered professional and might be read a different way...

In regards to notes, I actually still use pen and paper and then our photocopiers are connected to our email system, so in 30 seconds it auto scans them for me fowards to my Evernote account which OCR the notes.

Finally and randomly, I am looking for a new house, went to look at a really nice place but... Whoever built it was obsessed with plug sockets, now a lot of plugs is handy but even the smallest room in the house has 12 sockets, some have 16...
    11-22-13 11:06 AM
    I talked to another guy the other day who also never saw any business plan from BB. He wasn't approached by all of the players involved either. He doesn't see any future in BB. Hasn't heard of any plan for them to use the $1B of new investment money (which he wasn't involved in providing). He's actually pretty puzzled about why they think they can stay in the mobile market, since he sees so little interest in them.

Basically, he sounds exactly like the Alberta fund guy.

Then I paid him for my Big Mac and drove away.
    11-22-13 11:12 AM
    So, my crazy "they knew, and pulled the hand break" thesis checking #1

Boulben's going nowhere but at the board ?
    Frank Boulben and Dr. Juergen Gessler launch the BlackBerry P'9982 in the US | CrackBerry.com

Don't ask me why ... told you too many times already
    bungaboy and jxnb like this.
    11-22-13 11:14 AM
    As a kid, I was almost always the best kid in the class at hand writing. Print, script, bubble letters, or even calligraphy (art is a passion and hobby of mine). Now, I rarely hand write anything. And when I did (on white boards), students and colleagues said they can't see anything but worms crawling across the board...LOL
    The point is, hand writing is not really that important anymore (but I do agree that we still to be able to do it - I will start to use my pen more often now to retain it).
    And from the other end of the spectrum, as a child I had among the worst scrawl ... later made even worse by taking notes in countless U courses w/profs writing w/the right hand and erasing with their left. But I also could type 80 words a min when most couldn't type at all--or maybe had never even used a typewriter. Being able to see how WP was going to eliminate the typing pool, I was always a step ahead once entered the business/legal profession simply because of efficient technology. ..... Notwithstanding, the art of handwriting and the enrichment of reading physical books over use of an electronic screen should not be underestimated. Despite all of the writing/reading aids, I remain incredulous over the severe decline in writing skills and reading comprehension over the past 15 years, and especially past decade, of the average person under 20 to 25 yrs. (And, for the record, it's not as if the analytical intelligence quotients (in N.A.) have shown any increase either.)
    Last edited by M65c02; 11-23-13 at 09:25 AM.
    11-22-13 11:19 AM
    Climb, baby, climb!
    11-22-13 11:23 AM
    Climb, baby, climb!
    Louder !
    morganplus8, sidhuk, Corbu and 4 others like this.
    11-22-13 11:37 AM
    Louder !
    That's your job.

I'm just heckling from the peanut gallery.

Besides, don't want to scare the shorts into closing their positions too early.
    11-22-13 11:41 AM
    I already have an issue where, because email is dead tech to younger students, I have to point out that finishing an email with xx isn't considered professional and might be read a different way...

In regards to notes, I actually still use pen and paper and then our photocopiers are connected to our email system, so in 30 seconds it auto scans them for me fowards to my Evernote account which OCR the notes.

Finally and randomly, I am looking for a new house, went to look at a really nice place but... Whoever built it was obsessed with plug sockets, now a lot of plugs is handy but even the smallest room in the house has 12 sockets, some have 16...
    Sounds like the previous owners grew copious amounts of the green sticky icky.

Or something.
    11-22-13 11:54 AM
    Rumor is that Google is looking to build (or acquire) a new OS. This may not be true, but if so, BlackBerry having cross-platform integration would be a perfect candidate.

I wonder if BlackBerry is involved with something here.... Why is there such a push towards Android runtime? Simply because of a few missing Apps???

If BlackBerry is utilizing services such as Amazon, and other sites that would support a traffic count, perhaps BlackBerry is using this to leverage a future deal.
    Or perhaps it's an avenue for BlackBerry to take to replace losing such a large portion of the staff in a relatively short time. They are in effect, leveraging other people's time and work for their own benefit. They didn't have to pay to get the benefit. It makes sense for a company looking to keep costs low while trying to provide apps and services that rival their competitors, without the staff to do it.
    bungaboy and Bacon Munchers like this.
    11-22-13 12:01 PM
    I talked to another guy the other day who also never saw any business plan from BB. He wasn't approached by all of the players involved either. He doesn't see any future in BB. Hasn't heard of any plan for them to use the $1B of new investment money (which he wasn't involved in providing). He's actually pretty puzzled about why they think they can stay in the mobile market, since he sees so little interest in them.

Basically, he sounds exactly like the Alberta fund guy.

Then I paid him for my Big Mac and drove away.
    AHAHHA i just about died
    11-22-13 12:02 PM
    Louder !
    Is it time it bring back the rain dancers and cowbell 'bangers'...LOL
    bungaboy, sidhuk and rarsen like this.
    11-22-13 12:07 PM
    Sounds like the previous owners grew copious amounts of the green sticky icky.

Or something.
    That is a really good point and might explain why it is a repo...
    11-22-13 12:08 PM
    Rumor is that Google is looking to build (or acquire) a new OS. This may not be true, but if so, BlackBerry having cross-platform integration would be a perfect candidate.

I wonder if BlackBerry is involved with something here.... Why is there such a push towards Android runtime? Simply because of a few missing Apps???

If BlackBerry is utilizing services such as Amazon, and other sites that would support a traffic count, perhaps BlackBerry is using this to leverage a future deal.
    An OS with 1% marketshare is a perfect candidate for replacing an OS with 80% marketshare?

BlackBerry's Android runtime support may not even exist by this time next year. Google is already in the process of replacing the Dalvik runtime with a new runtime called ART. This is supposed to be a much optimized OS

Android ART: Google finally moves to replace Dalvik, to boost performance and battery life | ExtremeTech
    11-22-13 12:11 PM
    Despite all of the writing/reading aids, I remain incredulous over the severe decline in writing skills and reading comprehension over the past 15 years, and especially past decade, of the average person under 20 to 25 yrs. (And, for the record, it's not as if the analytical intelligence quotients have shown any increase either.)
    There is no "decline". There is a change in how language is used.
    1) If you go back to the early 1900s, and ask some of the best writers of the time to read the "professional" writing of the 60s-90s, they would also scoff at how terrible people's grasp of the English language has become.

Can you imagine speaking or writing in the Shakespearean style anytime in the 20th century? They would be laughed out of the room, yet it was considered normal.

2) Greater resources means that kids who wouldn't even have been literate are now getting education. Additionally, the internet means that you don't just read stuff written by people who are good at writing (why would you read stuff by somebody who was poor at writing in the past?), but with Twitter, and facebook, you end up reading stuff written up by pretty much all and sundry. Hence the "general" language skills appear poorer.

Personally (and I believe this is true of many of today's age), I write and think much better when I write stuff on paper, as opposed to typing it out. But that is simply a result of the way my brain works (it looks for spatial cues from the placement of text on paper). Kids who have grown up typing stuff on their computers or tablets will learn to think differently.

An example is this really smart MIT CS prof who was giving a lecture in college, who observed that his whole conception of time was based on a circular clock face. So if someone told him it was 4:15, he thought of it as where the hour hand falls on a clockface. However, his kids had grown up with only digital clocks around, and their way of conceptualizing time was completely alien to him. It didn't mean they didn't know what time meant. It just meant something different for them.
    flyingblackbeard and trwrt like this.
    11-22-13 12:17 PM

Yup.

[Edit: See? Bears can be tamed. Try doing that sh!t with a bull.]
    Last edited by morlock_man; 11-22-13 at 12:46 PM.
    11-22-13 12:30 PM
    So, my crazy "they knew, and pulled the hand break" thesis checking #1

Boulben's going nowhere but at the board ?
    Frank Boulben and Dr. Juergen Gessler launch the BlackBerry P'9982 in the US | CrackBerry.com

Don't ask me why ... told you too many times already
    Disgusting. I thought the guy was being held hostage somewhere, but instead he shows up at a high end event eating shrimp cocktail and drinking top shelf liquor to promote a product that will barely sell (in the scheme of things) and will do little to help real sales or fix what really needs to be fixed. Way to go Frank, I see it's more of the same that helped us get a 6 handle on the stock.

Frank for CEO!!!!!!!!!!!
    11-22-13 12:33 PM
    An OS with 1% marketshare is a perfect candidate for replacing an OS with 80% marketshare?

BlackBerry's Android runtime support may not even exist by this time next year. Google is already in the process of replacing the Dalvik runtime with a new runtime called ART. This is supposed to be a much optimized OS

Android ART: Google finally moves to replace Dalvik, to boost performance and battery life | ExtremeTech
    This is only a change to the VM. The programs still use the same compiled binary. The only difference is that programs are converted to machine language at install time instead of run time. This would not be hard for bbry to handle. I'm mostly shocked that Google has taken two years to implement this. That kind of duration hints at Dalvik being poorly written.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-13 12:41 PM
    Disgusting. I thought the guy was being held hostage somewhere, but instead he shows up at a high end event eating shrimp cocktail and drinking top shelf liquor to promote a product that will barely sell (in the scheme of things) and will do little to help real sales or fix what really needs to be fixed. Way to go Frank, I see it's more of the same that helped us get a 6 handle on the stock.

Frank for CEO!!!!!!!!!!!
    I believe it's called d!ck waving.
    OMGitworks likes this.
    11-22-13 12:42 PM
    Green so far today.

I really think that 5.98 was the market bottom, the market having finally had enough time to digest the information regarding the $1 debenture.

We might climb into the afternoon today.
    As we are now after 2:00 PM, I want to elect you to the Top Investor of The Day Award for calling a new high in the afternoon! Nice work! We have now cleared the 5-dma and the 3-ema so far today, could this be our first rally in months?
    11-22-13 01:10 PM
    As we are now after 2:00 PM, I want to elect you to the Top Investor of The Day Award for calling a new high in the afternoon! Nice work! We have now cleared the 5-dma and the 3-ema so far today, could this be our first rally in months?
    Thanks Morgan, I consider that high praise.

Even a broken clock can still be right twice a day.
    11-22-13 01:17 PM
    Yes, should be getting some bounce or bobbing here for the day traders, but probably simply the curse of the $5 valuation. The $5.00 cut often is signal to the respirator (or death knell) for an established stock in steep decline (vs new growth stock). I would think that keeping BBRY above $5 will be guarded zealously (until it can no longer be sustained). But, probably correct about little new info to digest, most holders have shaken free that intended but had(somehow) hung on past June or August, a fair % of shorts have taken their profits (thereby also relieving a bit of downward pressure), and ave. volume should(has) settle(d) even more until earnings rpt and/or signft. change in general mkt events/conditions. (BTW, really difficult to see much more negative BB news at next earnings as there are very few positive expectations.)

Posted via CB10
    11-22-13 01:46 PM
    He might be just regretting the decision he made.
    "The head of one of Canada�s top pension funds confirmed on Thursday his firm was involved in talks over a potential buyout of BlackBerry Ltd. but said he never saw a business plan he was confident would turn around the once-dominant smartphone maker."

BB never provided a business plan to the people they wanted to buy them......That tells me they didn't have one at the time and that being only 4 weeks ago
    bungaboy and BlackistheBerry like this.
    11-22-13 01:48 PM
    Whoooo....

I can smell the rocket fuel from here.
    bungaboy likes this.
    11-22-13 01:56 PM
    Whoooo....

I can smell the rocket fuel from here.
    Look at it goo lol
    11-22-13 02:03 PM
    Thanks Morgan, I consider that high praise.

Even a broken clock can still be right twice a day.
    "twice a day" was a shocker. I heard "once a day" and assumed once a night. LoL unless "the clock is too old".
    Regardless. Good prediction. we should have "the top Investor of the day award" and Top Investor of the week award announcements as ongoing performance meter class?
    bungaboy likes this.
    11-22-13 02:05 PM
113,256 ... 22192220222122222223 ...