View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I think they will wait till we hit 50 million new bbm users
    By then momentum = lost. Gotta get it in the media's face while it's fresh. Always hear about apple selling 9 million iphones on day one. But never hear day two. Or end of week one. Etc. No one cares by that point. Big numbers as soon as comes out is what's needed to get positive media attention.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 06:31 PM
    BlackBerry certainly has been quiet, but the fact that we haven't head anything from Lenovo, Cisco, Google, Samsung, Cerberus, Sculley, Lazaridis & Fregin may be a good thing. We know that SAP showed some preliminary interest, but they've now reported they do not find any synergies with their business and BlackBerry. What's even more interesting is that we haven't heard from any of the above parties concerning their non-interest in BlackBerry.

- BBMX would sure be useful to Google if they could integrate it with Google chat/Google+. Not to mention the potential uses of it to accelerate their mobile advertising revenue!
    - Apple and Google want to expand their real estate holdings in Waterloo
    - ECC patents are invaluable for future encryption, especially within the USA
    - Cisco is already a major user of QNX; there are obvious synergies there
    - MSFT stated to "have their eye on BlackBerry" - we haven't heard a peep from them re: the strategic review. BlackBerry's enterprise services division would certainly be accretive to them!
    - Lenovo would love the patents & distribution network BlackBerry has, particularly in emerging markets where they've had only marginal success
    - Then the founders, do they want their company back?

Oh to be a fly on the wall in BlackBerry's boardroom!
    10-28-13 08:16 PM
    Yeah I'm surprised we didn't hear anything more definitive on BBM numbers. I be iOS downloads are nearly as large as Google Play downloads since iOS users are more likely to download apps.
    In US I'm still seeing BBM as second most downloaded free app. If it can stay there for a few weeks that would be impressive.

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, CDM76, fedakd and 5 others like this.
    10-28-13 09:47 PM
    Hop,hop... Keep Moving http://el.blackberry.com/cloud?CPID=...W_TW1382121021

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 03:08 AM
    10-29-13 04:42 AM
    Nokia results for those interested:

http://www.results.nokia.com/results...lts2013Q3e.pdf
    Tinomane likes this.
    10-29-13 06:23 AM
    Yeah I'm surprised we didn't hear anything more definitive on BBM numbers. I be iOS downloads are nearly as large as Google Play downloads since iOS users are more likely to download apps.
    In US I'm still seeing BBM as second most downloaded free app. If it can stay there for a few weeks that would be impressive.

Posted via CB10
    I guess they are being careful to avoid adding ammunition to law suites against them alleging misinformation?

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 06:41 AM
    I guess they are being careful to avoid adding ammunition to law suites against them alleging misinformation?

Posted via CB10
    Simplest explanation is that they've not announced anything because they've probably not reached their second milestone (whatever it might be. 25m new users? 50m new users? 100m new users?).

Posted via CB 10 app on my Q10!
    plasmid_boy and rarsen like this.
    10-29-13 07:49 AM
    Simplest explanation is that they've not announced anything because they've probably not reached their second milestone (whatever it might be. 25m new users? 50m new users? 100m new users?).

Posted via CB 10 app on my Q10!
    Doesn't matter what number it is. If want media to carry the story they should have come out Monday saying " opening weekend we had xx million downloads ". Would have been great positive spin. Now it's old new to the news stations......

Posted via CB10
    BlackistheBerry and bungaboy like this.
    10-29-13 08:13 AM
    http://www.cantechletter.com/2013/10...ion-focus1024/

Not really new but interesting.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and plasmid_boy like this.
    10-29-13 08:23 AM
    20 million new BBM users

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 08:25 AM
    80 million active users.....

After the amazing launch of BBM(TM) on Android(R) and iPhone(R) devices, with more than 10 million downloads in the first 24 hours, BBM has now ended its first week with more than 80 million monthly active users(i), including over 20 million new users on Android and iPhone devices.

During its first week, BBM was the top free overall app in 35 countries in Google Play(TM) and in 107 countries in the App Store(SM), and continues to maintain a strong position in key markets such as Canada, the US, the UK, Indonesia and much of the Middle East, to name a few.

"It is great to see so many people downloading BBM, but the true measurement for us is engagement - the connections being made and the conversations in which our BBM community engages. The power of BBM has always been the active, real conversations and interaction that our customers enjoy," said Andrew Bocking, Executive Vice President of BBM at BlackBerry. "From here on out, we will focus on active users of BBM and will no longer focus on simple download numbers."

With the BBM community now at more than 80 million active users around the globe, users are connecting on the private social network like never before. This past weekend, BlackBerry(R) (BBRY) (CA:BB) was able to remove the virtual line-up so that Android and iPhone users can now immediately download, sign in and start using BBM without having to wait.

BBM users are enjoying the immediacy and control that BBM offers as they chat with their new contacts - either one-to-one, in multi-person chats or as part of a BBM Group. The delivered and read statuses, as well as the message-in-progress alert, keep people engaged and active in conversations on BBM. BBM users can also share files such as photos, and voice notes, as well as update their statuses with ease. BBM Groups allows photo, calendar, chat and file sharing for up to 30 people in a user-generated community.

http://www.marketwatch.com/m/story/9...7-885b88726345
    10-29-13 08:31 AM
    This thread has slowed down just like BBRY. God, we need some concrete news regarding their future!

Posted via CB10
    Soumaila Somtore likes this.
    10-29-13 08:44 AM
    I'm a little disappointed by those numbers. Only 20 million users in a week, after 10 mil downloads in 24 hours. Seems like the board might be trying to disguise something again? Prem wants to keep the stock price down.

Go Jets go!
    10-29-13 08:53 AM
    Good to see the SP doesn't agree with me.

Go Jets go!
    10-29-13 08:55 AM
    Some material to ponder about Fairfax results (up 31% this year) and whether Prem knows what he's doing.

BlackBerry Ltd: Why Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd can afford to lose on its bid | Financial Post

By the way, some quick math tells me his supposedly $17 average drops to a mere $12 if the board switches to a better offer after Nov 4, when the break fee climbs to $262M. If anything puts a bit of a cap on things, I think that's it, but it's still decently above $9. Fairfax would (have to) vote in favour of it, and I suspect enough other shareholders would that it would go through... unless Mikey can scare up enough support for something beyond that.
    Shanerredflag and Randeman like this.
    10-29-13 09:10 AM
    Some material to ponder about Fairfax results (up 31% this year) and whether Prem knows what he's doing.

BlackBerry Ltd: Why Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd can afford to lose on its bid | Financial Post

By the way, some quick math tells me his supposedly $17 average drops to a mere $12 if the board switches to a better offer after Nov 4, when the break fee climbs to $262M. If anything puts a bit of a cap on things, I think that's it, but it's still decently above $9. Fairfax would (have to) vote in favour of it, and I suspect enough other shareholders would that it would go through... unless Mikey can scare up enough support for something beyond that.
    Unless another bid merges, Fairfax has to commit to the deal to the get the fee at this point. Tick, tock....
    10-29-13 09:19 AM
    Good to see the SP doesn't agree with me.

Go Jets go!

I think you're looking at two metrics here - downloads and active users.
    The 10million in 24 hours is downloads.
    The article mentions 20million active users.

So in reality there could be tens more millions of downloads but we don't have that metric (yet).

Posted via CB10
    plasmid_boy, jxnb, Corbu and 9 others like this.
    10-29-13 09:32 AM
    So if the total BBM user base is 80M and 20M are iOS/Android, 60M are BlackBerry users.

Does it seem like that number has dropped to anyone? I recall it was 65M maybe a couple quarters ago when they used to issue those numbers?
    garnok likes this.
    10-29-13 09:37 AM
    I think you're looking at two metrics here - downloads and active users.
    The 10million in 24 hours is downloads.
    The article mentions 20million active users.

So in reality there could be tens more millions of downloads but we don't have that metric (yet).

Posted via CB10
    I know but still, how many more downloads could there be? Especially with no wait line anymore. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled with the amount of hype bbm received, here in Canada at least. I just thought it was on pace for more after the 10 mil in 24 hr start.

Go Jets go!
    10-29-13 09:39 AM
    So if the total BBM user base is 80M and 20M are iOS/Android, 60M are BlackBerry users.

Does it seem like that number has dropped to anyone? I recall it was 65M maybe a couple quarters ago when they used to issue those numbers?
    Different figures were used. BBRY subscribers were the larger number and BBM users were the smaller number as not all subscribers used bbm. Subscribers topped out at 79 million and the last numbers I saw for BBM, pre ios and android, were 61 million.
    10-29-13 09:47 AM

At BlackBerry Live in the summer, TH said it was 60 million. I remember it well as I was surprised that the number of subs and the number of active BBM users were so different.
    10-29-13 09:47 AM
    20 mill users in a week is impressive, still think it was a mistake to only support ICS and up though, still a huge number of people on Gingerbread. Also measuring "active" users after a week is a little strange. Its gonna be an interesting Monday!
    10-29-13 09:49 AM
    At BlackBerry Live in the summer, TH said it was 60 million. I remember it well as I was surprised that the number of subs and the number of active BBM users were so different.
    TH?
    Who the hell is that????
    10-29-13 10:28 AM
    10-29-13 10:30 AM
113,251 ... 21362137213821392140 ...