View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    It seems several young posters, including you, have or had a substantial percentage of their portfolios invested in BBRY.

Please ask Morgan whether in light of your losses, or in general, it is a good idea to commit the remaining 100% to a single stock, or even a few stocks. I would imagine he will disagree. I believe he will say you need a balanced portfolio and once you pick up steam, you can afford to focus on single stocks.

When you are young, it is far better to "index" your portfolio, "gamble" a small portion, and otherwise invest in yourself, be it education or starting or expaning a business, or even travel. You will gain a lot more experience, skills, understanding of the human nature, and upside, than if you sink everything in a single stock you picked up from an internet board and hit the proverbial "jackpot" down the line.

Thanks for your concern. Perhaps, you should STOP telling me what to do. I am only posting my opinion, not telling others what to do.

Source is not CB fan site, but BlackBerry itself (BlackBerry Jam Asia) - that's official. CB didn't make this up, they got it from official BB.

Yep, it's unwise to gamble like that. Lessons learnt. Thanks for concern

Yep - ( HALO discussions can go here.. | Money Culture - Cultivating Money; ) - right now 100% of my portfolio is in HALO.
    09-26-13 12:07 PM
    Decided on a new forum alias, hope everyone doesn't mind.
    Bad assumption.

[TIP]*** PSA ***
    Asking the site to change your username and creating a new account under a different username are not the same thing. The former is allowed; the latter, not so much.[/TIP]
    09-26-13 12:13 PM
    It seems several young posters, including you, have or had a substantial percentage of their portfolios invested in BBRY.

Please ask Morgan whether in light of your losses, or in general, it is a good idea to commit the remaining 100% to a single stock, or even a few stocks. I would imagine he will disagree. I believe he will say you need a balanced portfolio and once you pick up steam, you can afford to focus on single stocks.

When you are young, it is far better to "index" your portfolio, "gamble" a small portion, and otherwise invest in yourself, be it education or starting or expaning a business, or even travel. You will gain a lot more experience, skills, understanding of the human nature, and upside, than if you sink everything in a single stock you picked up from an internet board and hit the proverbial "jackpot" down the line.
    Good advise. I don't need to ask Morgan because I already agree with your advise. My portfolio now is very small ($1000 only) so I don't see much sense of diversifying it at this point. I'll play high-risk/high-reward stocks until I am able to get to $5,000. If I lose it all, I'd start again with $1,000.

But once I get to $5K, I'll diversify my portfolio. 50% for index and 50% for high-risk/high-reward. Any additional capital will also be split same way - 50% will go to index and 50% will go to high-risk/high-reward pool.

That's how I am thinking right now.
    09-26-13 12:17 PM

the market is the best teacher
    bungaboy and peter9477 like this.
    09-26-13 12:17 PM
    LoL, People are dying to get in to this thread. then complain about grave yards. cant suck and blow at the same time.
    Randeman and bungaboy like this.
    09-26-13 12:18 PM
    Why would anyone sell under 9? Prem is buying your shares at 9 in the near future.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 12:21 PM
    Why would anyone sell under 9? Prem is buying your shares at 9 in the near future.

Posted via CB10
    No, he is not. It is not a done deal.
    09-26-13 12:23 PM
    No, he is not. It is not a done deal.
    you cannot say he is not, he has the intention to do so, lets keep it real
    BlackistheBerry and bungaboy like this.
    09-26-13 12:25 PM
    Yes it's not a done deal. It could be 9 or more unless Prem gets outbid. He's already come out and said this will be successful.

People are selling now because they don't have time to wait for the buyout at 9. Soon as deal is closed all financing brought in buys shares at 9 dollars.

Of course there's a slim chance he pulls the offer. But he is a large holder and I'm sure all the due diligence has been done.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 12:27 PM
    Where are people getting $5 Billion for xBBM? Its free with no monetization at all at the moment, sure they could stuff ads in there but would people really stick around when there are so many great add free messaging apps out there?
    I'm guessing that it's because of BBM channels. Again, it's not monetized, but after its released x platform as well, it will create ad revenue and be a very unique social media platform. I can't speak for the others, but logically, that's where I see actual value coming from.

Posted while peeking and flowing on my incredible BBQ10!
    09-26-13 12:27 PM
    I think it's United People of Youth On Unprecedented Research About Something Special or just search for the symbol UPYOURASS on Nasdaq. :P
    Yup, already into that one, too.
    09-26-13 12:28 PM
    If you really believe Prem 100%, you should definitely be buying lots of BBRY now because you're going to make something like 12% in a little over a month. The market seems to believe him only 88% - actually a lot less because there's a cash floor on this stock and investors still aren't going for it.
    09-26-13 12:30 PM
    Still hoping, yes? Guess I can't blame you.
    09-26-13 12:37 PM

Posted via CB10
    I don't want to signal you out OP but this kind of ignorance is scary on a thread purporting to give investment advice (encouragement?) to people. A letter of intent contingent on financing and dilligence is by no means a binding offer. Thus, the stock price floor that you assume exists may eventually come about but you cannot say that with any certainty today.
    09-26-13 12:38 PM
    The SP had been going down.
    Many have been saying that that's what Prem wants, so that he can get the company cheaper with a lower bid.
    But he stepped in, and prevented the decline today.
    Coupled with the fact that he mentioned that he is not known for changing deals, does this not mean that he does intend to pay $9 and is not going to come up with a lower bid later?
    I was one of those people, but to qualify my bearish post, this was before he stated this, or at least, before I was aware of the statement. I still feel that he will not lose sleep over kicking us little guys to the curb.

Thanks for your input though.
    09-26-13 12:39 PM
    I'm guessing it's because with the $9 ceiling, until another bid comes, or not, who wants to buy at or near $9? Not much upside. So bids are for less until anything else comes along.
    Dear Fellow Crackberryans,

I have admittedly been bearish lately, so I'll throw in a positive; to stay, well, poisitive:

If there are outside bids under, around, or above FF by Nov.4, If FF can't make the financing deal, there could spark a serious bid war.

Reminds me of a $10k item on ebay, starting at $1.
    Randeman, silversun10 and abouthsu like this.
    09-26-13 12:46 PM
    mmmmmmm Bacon. Dell is trading at $13.87. .01 below the offer. BBRY is trading (as I post this) at $7.89. $1.11 below it's offer. If people actually believe in the offer, why would they give away $1.10 per share?
    09-26-13 12:52 PM
    Watsa has absolutely no intention to do so. Even if the deal closes, it will be his partners that will be paying 9 USD per share and not Watsa himself. Watsa has stated he does not intend to invest any more funds into BBRY. Fairfax investors are already infuriated with his heavy involvement in BBRY as it is.

The Watsa interview actually solidifies the theory that the deal is a farce. Not only did Watsa provide no concrete evidence of financing, if Watsa actually intended to purchase BBRY, he has absolutely no incentive to try to convince others than the deal is legitimate.

The decline of BBRY stock value would be a positive for a BBRY deal for the reasons:
    1/ The consortium could adjust their bid downward
    2/ Even if the consortium doesn't adjust their bid, shareholders would be more inclined to vote for the deal the lower the BBRY share price is relative to the offer price

All Watsa's announcement does is try to prop up the stock price.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 09-26-13 at 01:10 PM.
    rodan01 likes this.
    09-26-13 12:53 PM
    when was the last time BB is consider a positive brand? i would say BB brand is actually costing them 100M. subtract that from the bill
    Just ask a brand broker a cote
    09-26-13 12:57 PM
    I just read a CNN article about apps being one of the main reasons why BB10 has flopped. I tend to agree (let's face it, it *IS* a big deterrent for millions of potential customers). But I gagged when they listed Candy Crush as one of the examples of the no shows. Seriously? This once almighty giant has to take this crap from "Candy Crush?" Priorities, people.
    09-26-13 12:59 PM
    Ok folks, time for some family time ... So, as I can see we have smart guys and smart others, keep cool and ... keep cool.
    CU2morrow !
    Cheers
    SF
    Randeman, sidhuk and bungaboy like this.
    09-26-13 01:02 PM
    This is all fine but he still hasn't actually committed himself to any deal. Right now he's just signed a letter of intent contigent on financing and dilligence. He has not made a binding bid!
    09-26-13 01:05 PM
    This is all fine but he still hasn't actually committed himself to any deal. Right now he's just signed a letter of intent contigent on financing and dilligence. He has not made a binding bid!
    You could be over stating the obvious.
    09-26-13 01:14 PM
    You could be over stating the obvious.
    Someone's feisty today! Lol
    sidhuk, W Hoa, cjcampbell and 3 others like this.
    09-26-13 01:16 PM
    NOTHING about this "deal" feels right.

Early preliminary ER a day before the announcement of the "deal".
    Announcement of the "deal" without the needed financing in place.
    The terms of the deal being all in favor of Fairfax and not binding.
    The canceling of the ER and conference call.

If you are still in, or thinking about jumping in to get that "guaranteed" $9 price.... HOLD ON TIGHT!
    09-26-13 01:33 PM
113,250 ... 20332034203520362037 ...