View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    My point is why Blackberry would even lay off people near the date of the Z30 introduction. WSJ timing is bad.
    Has anyone said they are laying people off near the date of the Z30 introduction?

The WSJ article, if I understood the second-hand reports I've read, said only that the layoffs would be carried out in the remainder of the year.

You don't lay off almost 5000 people overnight, obviously.
    09-19-13 07:47 AM
    there's some truth behind the 40% comment unfortunately...
    I actually don't know why people doubt it so much. We were warned at the AGM that this was coming. There were no numbers given at the time, but I think the scale of adjustments expected was made pretty obvious.

I still have a hard time understanding what 12000+ employees have been up to for the last few years, other than if half of them were still doing non-BB10 related work. BlackBerry has looked like an incredibly overstaffed company to me for a very long time. (With apologies to those who have lost their jobs, or who are about to...)
    09-19-13 07:51 AM
    09-19-13 07:59 AM
    WOWWWWW....As soon as we get Z30 and bbx news we see so many negative articles. 1 billion dollar write down to cutting almost half its workers. WHERE THE FFF are theses guy pulling their info from
    09-19-13 08:07 AM
    Looks like gold is continuing to rise this morning
    Coming from you, I need to ask to confirm that you are talking about the price of gold and not something else rising, right?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by plasmid_boy; 09-19-13 at 09:03 AM.
    09-19-13 08:10 AM
    India's second largest smartphone vendor is pre-loading BBM

Micromax strikes deal with BlackBerry to pre-load BBM on its Canvas smartphones

For the last week or two there�s been a lot of buzz around BlackBerry�s imminent launch of BBM app for Android and iOS platforms. With the app set to release on September 21 for Android and on September 22 for iOS, phone companies are clamoring to pen deals allowing them to pre-load the messenger app on their devices. Moments ago, Micromax announced that it had signed a similar deal with BlackBerry.

With Micromax ranked second in the Indian smartphone market behind Samsung, it seems like a good platform for BlackBerry to launch the Android-variant of its messenger app in the Indian market.
    Micromax strikes deal with BlackBerry to pre-load BBM on its Canvas smartphones | News & Video Reviews of Gadgets at BGR India
    09-19-13 08:13 AM
    Coming from you, I need to ask to confirm that you are taking the price of gold and not something else rising, right?

Posted via CB10
    hahaha.... ya... I've been awake for a while so that moment has passed
    plasmid_boy and bungaboy like this.
    09-19-13 08:18 AM
    This cross platform thing is a clear indication that they are trying to get out of hardware, several people have told me that this news means they can finally move to over to Android and ditch their BB.

Is there any conceivable way that a cross platform BBM will increase hardware sales?

Sent from my phone.
    09-19-13 08:20 AM
    Thought I would post a chart for BBRY today:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-chart-sept-19-2013.jpg

Nothing has changed, we tried to rally toward the $ 11.00 resistance level .... and through the clever use of witchcraft the Wall Street Enquirer guessed that BBRY could be laying off somewhere between 0 - 40% of their workforce in the months ahead. I don't know about you but when I hear that a company could lay off 0% or more of their workforce, I hit the sell button immediately! And so the laughable cycle of life that is the WS Enquirer continues. Faucette over at Pac Crest was saying just the other day that a 6' - 4" German guy with a fake moustache was seen leaving the WS Enquirer building in Winston Salem Mass., yesterday.

Last night it was reported that BBRY will be launching 4 more products in the future, using only their janitorial staff out of Waterloo, seems about right when you consider none of the phones are actually made by anyone we know. And so the stock does what it has always done, it trends sideways, doesn't sell off to sub $ 9.00 like some posters would have you believe, it just moves along until we hear from the company itself, ..... and they ain't talking! Look for resistance at the 20-ema as usual, look for it to pop above that level and test it and pop above and test it again. JLagoon has pointed out that, through witchcraft the stock keeps stopping at $ 10.20/shr and popping from there.

I see we are back on the TA credibility wagon again this morning, TA is important, financials are important, the media is important, new products are important, the date which products will hit the consumer are important, competition is important, yes, there are many things you need to be aware of in order to gauge the investment and the market itself.

Tip: When following a stock, and you want to know how it is trading in terms of momentum, you try different Moving Averages, don't get married to just one, use the 3-ema, 5-ema, 20-ema, 50-ema and the same for all dma values for each stock and see which one is being tracked by the stock. Depending on your investment style, the 50-dma might be perfect for you, for others, it might be the 3-ema for quick trading purposes. In addition, make use of other indicatoes too, like the key-reversal in Gold yesterday that setup IMG.TO or IAG for those Americans. That stock will now rally to it's current 200-dma at $ 6.66/shr (Winston Salem, Mass. anyone?) where it mysteriously failed to continue to rally.

BBRY needs to close above the 20-ema currently at $ 10.46/shr before the Wall Street Enquirer can legally release some more garbage claims. GL
    09-19-13 08:22 AM
    That FP article isn't clear whether the write down is BB7 devices or BB10s.
    09-19-13 08:38 AM
    Thought I would post a chart for BBRY today:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BBRY Chart Sept 19 2013.jpg 
Views:	512 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	203375

Nothing has changed, we tried to rally toward the $ 11.00 resistance level .... and through the clever use of witchcraft the Wall Street Enquirer guessed that BBRY could be laying off somewhere between 0 - 40% of their workforce in the months ahead. I don't know about you but when I hear that a company could lay off 0% or more of their workforce, I hit the sell button immediately! And so the laughable cycle of life that is the WS Enquirer continues. Faucette over at Pac Crest was saying just the other day that a 6' - 4" German guy with a fake moustache was seen leaving the WS Enquirer building in Winston Salem Mass., yesterday.

Last night it was reported that BBRY will be launching 4 more products in the future, using only their janitorial staff out of Waterloo, seems about right when you consider none of the phones are actually made by anyone we know. And so the stock does what it has always done, it trends sideways, doesn't sell off to sub $ 9.00 like some posters would have you believe, it just moves along until we hear from the company itself, ..... and they ain't talking! Look for resistance at the 20-ema as usual, look for it to pop above that level and test it and pop above and test it again. JLagoon has pointed out that, through witchcraft the stock keeps stopping at $ 10.20/shr and popping from there.

I see we are back on the TA credibility wagon again this morning, TA is important, financials are important, the media is important, new products are important, the date which products will hit the consumer are important, competition is important, yes, there are many things you need to be aware of in order to gauge the investment and the market itself.

Tip: When following a stock, and you want to know how it is trading in terms of momentum, you try different Moving Averages, don't get married to just one, use the 3-ema, 5-ema, 20-ema, 50-ema and the same for all dma values for each stock and see which one is being tracked by the stock. Depending on your investment style, the 50-dma might be perfect for you, for others, it might be the 3-ema for quick trading purposes. In addition, make use of other indicatoes too, like the key-reversal in Gold yesterday that setup IMG.TO or IAG for those Americans. That stock will now rally to it's current 200-dma at $ 6.66/shr (Winston Salem, Mass. anyone?) where it mysteriously failed to continue to rally.

BBRY needs to close above the 20-ema currently at $ 10.46/shr before the Wall Street Enquirer can legally release some more garbage claims. GL
    Not that I know anything about TA nor do I want to engage in a debate either but something occured to me yesterday. Yes one might say it is the news and events that are shaping a SP curve, but seing how the news of the release of the Z30 did nothing on the SP yesterday, one would think the market had mostly factored it in already, which means that TA is about detecting trends that are based, yes, on rumors, or news we don't have access to yet, but for which some people on the market are already reacting. So one would think the sooner you can detect that trend through a fine TA analysis, the better you may be in a position to benefit from said trend before everyone else does...

I know this is probably just basic stuff for most of you, but I am a newbie at this and I am just starting to understand a bit more, so keep it up, I am learning plenty!
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-19-13 08:43 AM
    Why do people always ask for proof of people's trades? Who cares really. Any 'proof' would be easy enough to fake, and what difference would it really make? And what would his motivation for lying be? So he can show off to a bunch of people on the net who he doesn't know and will never meet, and who don't know him?

I just don't get why you would ask him to prove it, what it would accomplish, and why anyone would care either way?
    My rationale is that if someone is busy making fake tdameritrade statements, it's less time trolling and gloating over false claims.

Maybe the ignore button is more effective.. =)

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 08:54 AM
    Here's a little quote that I thought I'd look into....

“Inventory has been growing in the channels,” said Huen, whose Toronto-based firm manages $220 million in assets, including BlackBerry shares. Depending on how much money BlackBerry has spent producing the phones, “another writedown is likely,” he said.

Now I decided to go over to the Nasdaq page and see if I could find them in the owners. Well, I didn't see them on there so if they do in fact manage BBRY shares, they either a) purchased since 6/30, which is entirely possible, or b) the are managing shares but from a short position. B) makes more sense to me as if you expected a loss on the quarter, a decline in revenue qoq, and a billion dollar write down, would you be holding?
    09-19-13 08:55 AM
    Here's a little quote that I thought I'd look into....

“Inventory has been growing in the channels,” said Huen, whose Toronto-based firm manages $220 million in assets, including BlackBerry shares. Depending on how much money BlackBerry has spent producing the phones, “another writedown is likely,” he said.

Now I decided to go over to the Nasdaq page and see if I could find them in the owners. Well, I didn't see them on there so if they do in fact manage BBRY shares, they either a) purchased since 6/30, which is entirely possible, or b) the are managing shares but from a short position. B) makes more sense to me as if you expected a loss on the quarter, a decline in revenue qoq, and a billion dollar write down, would you be holding?
    LOL my thoughts exactly
    bungaboy and Soumaila Somtore like this.
    09-19-13 08:58 AM
    India's second largest smartphone vendor is pre-loading BBM

Micromax strikes deal with BlackBerry to pre-load BBM on its Canvas smartphones

Micromax strikes deal with BlackBerry to pre-load BBM on its Canvas smartphones | News & Video Reviews of Gadgets at BGR India
    Smart move to get a lot of very quick take-up.
    09-19-13 08:58 AM
    WOWWWWW....As soon as we get Z30 and bbx news we see so many negative articles. 1 billion dollar write down to cutting almost half its workers. WHERE THE FFF are theses guy pulling their info from
    The information has to have some merit, we will know soon. I know my AT&T store sold like 8 of the Z10s in the first 3 weeks and 5 of those 8 were returned. They do not even carry the Z10 anymore but will order it for you. The one Q they have on display has been broken for weeks now. AT&T biggest push for sales on Blackberry is their old slider with the hidden keyboard. The sales person said if you want the "real" Blackberry experience, this was the model to get!!! She says they have plenty in stock! (sad)

Where are the POSITIVE articles? The Z30 introduction got overshadowed by the layoff. What would really help is if somebody in Blackberry management gave some positive comments. Nothing but silence.
    09-19-13 09:00 AM
    "citing people familiar with the matter"

MY fav words
    Jahcure, bungaboy and morganplus8 like this.
    09-19-13 09:05 AM
    The information has to have some merit, we will know soon. I know my AT&T store sold like 8 of the Z10s in the first 3 weeks and 5 of those 8 were returned. They do not even carry the Z10 anymore but will order it for you. The one Q they have on display has been broken for weeks now. AT&T biggest push for sales on Blackberry is their old slider with the hidden keyboard. The sales person said if you want the "real" Blackberry experience, this was the model to get!!! She says they have plenty in stock! (sad)

Where are the POSITIVE articles? The Z30 introduction got overshadowed by the layoff. What would really help is if somebody in Blackberry management gave some positive comments. Nothing but silence.
    Do you think the more developed app store plus launching with 10.2 will help sales? I would be surprised if your store doesn't sell more than 8 Z30 during the first 3 weeks.
    09-19-13 09:12 AM
    Smart move to get a lot of very quick take-up.
    Further to the BBM news and Micromax:

Micromax is the second largest smartphone brand in India with a 22% market share, closely trailing Samsung at 26%, according to IDC. The homegrown smartphone brand is now gunning to topple Samsung by Diwali to become the largest smartphone player. According to IDC India, local smartphone brands now account for over half of all smartphone shipped into India, which is also the fastest growing and the third largest smartphone market in the world.
    09-19-13 09:12 AM
    Further to the BBM news and Micromax:
    Karbon (sp?) is another growing local player in India. I saw a story that said that WP had taken the third slot in India, so trying to get BBM on as many handsets as possible is the right move, got to grow the services revenue as quickly as possible or show *potential* for revenue growth before the hardware side completely falls to bits.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-19-13 09:14 AM
    Do you think the more developed app store plus launching with 10.2 will help sales? I would be surprised if your store doesn't sell more than 8 Z30 during the first 3 weeks.
    Not sure how he got the numbers, when I asked for similar numbers the sales rep didn't know and manager said that she is not allowed to tell. Moreover, if a store has a broken phone on display for weeks then it is a mismanaged store. You either fix it or take it off the display.
    09-19-13 09:16 AM
    "citing people familiar with the matter"

MY fav words

The timing of the layoffs and the write-offs could be FUD but it could also be a sign of internecine warfare.
    09-19-13 09:18 AM
    Not sure how he got the numbers, when I asked for similar numbers the sales rep didn't know and manager said that she is not allowed to tell. Moreover, if a store has a broken phone on display for weeks then it is a mismanaged store. You either fix it or take it off the display.
    I was about to say the same about a broken display, that's a badly run store if broken dislays are not taken down or replaced. This a cardinal rule in retail.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 09:19 AM
    Man, following this stock just wears you down sometimes just on the stories that are published, which some are deserved. I hope this thing plays out positively for us.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-19-13 09:20 AM
    Good morning Gang,
    Please dont forget to spey or neuter the troll.
    Have a great day.
    09-19-13 09:24 AM
113,256 ... 19481949195019511952 ...