View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

694 62.52%
  • No

416 37.48%
    Heins is going to burn the company down and claim the insurance?
    If it didn't work when we accidently torched our backyard shed while making moonshine, it won't work for those white collared executives. Just sayin....hahaha
    cgk, difabs, danprown and 3 others like this.
    09-05-13 04:35 PM
    Yep it is. Apparently Google acquired ~7% of the company with the option to double that. They're making liquid crystal on silicon chips (LCOS), which are used in the production of wearable computing such as Google Glass.

If wearable takes off...
    Personally can't see wearable glass taking off (perhaps the watch has a better chance for now, or in the future if glass morphs into virtual reality quality). In any case, pico-projectors will certainly extend beyond glass and into such things as the phone projector keyboard, car windshield applications, (maybe part of Google's driverless car in the future?) etc. All the fun stuff that TAT was showing in their concept video a while back.

Himax could be something looking into for me, maybe as a fun sideplay while I'm going crazy watching BB
    lcjr and bungaboy like this.
    09-05-13 04:46 PM
    I'm confused...why's that?
    fear, that he may fly solo
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-05-13 04:50 PM
    Just an SA but falls in line with what M8 has been suggesting "could" happen:

Most would agree that Microsoft (MSFT) missed the smartphone revolution and is now doing what it can to stay relevant in that sector by purchasing Nokia's (NOK) handset division, plus related patents.

MSFT has been growing its cash steadily over the past four years (see image below)

(click to enlarge)

(Image courtesy of RBC Direct Investing)

The reader will note that MSFT only spent roughly 10% of its cash for the NOK related purchase, and this leaves plenty left for another acquisition.

What's interesting is that purchasing part or all of BlackBerry (BBRY) would be an even cleaner deal than the NOK deal. This is supported by the well known fact that BBRY has no debt and is chalked up with about $3 billion in cash, nearly half of what MSFT just paid for NOK's assets.

The reason why MSFT would want to do something like that is simple. Number 1, MSFT just fought off a patent case brought on by Google (GOOG), and as a result MSFT could use all the patents it can get. BBRY has patents that GOOG itself bid on in the past from Nortel's old chest of patents. As a result this would add potential protection for MSFT and add value for shareholders.

In examining a potential purchase price of BBRY for MSFT, as of yesterday's close of $10.75 for BBRY, we are only looking at a market cap of $5.6 billion. Therefore if we add a 35% premium to the price similar to what MSFT just paid NOK, then we come out to less than $15 a share for BBRY. What is funny about this number is it is darn close to what MSFT just paid for NOK, roughly $7.5 billion. Which in the end is just another paltry 10% of MSFT's cash. Even if MSFT paid $20 a share for BBRY it would still be a good deal.

So looking at the big picture, MSFT only has to spend roughly 20% of its cash holdings total, and it ends up gobbling up 3rd and 4th spot in smartphone market share to come out as the solid and incontestable 3rd place contender. The solid 3rd place contender that all the cell carriers wanted to see compete with Apple (AAPL) and Samsung (SSNLF.PK)

What are some additional reasons on why this makes sense for MSFT? Mainly most corporate enterprise e-mails servers run MSFT Exchange server, and BBRY has proven tied-in management with its BES.

BBRY furthermore is MSFT's main competitor in the automotive industry for HUD and media management in the vehicle, so MSFT now starts to leverage a potential pseudo monopoly in that sector as well.

A move to purchase BBRY quickly puts MSFT back in a mobile market, and allows them to be on the forefront of mobile computing and where it is going. After all most MSFT shareholders were known to complain about how MSFT has not been doing much, and this would be some decisive action to create value for shareholders.

Lastly MSFT has a decent ecosystem and the synergies are natural on the enterprise stage where BBRY is still strong. This is not so far fetched as a concept as MSFT is rumored to be "eyeing" BBRY.

Additional disclosure: Long BBRY Calls
    BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY): Why Microsoft Should Buy BlackBerry Post Nokia And Rule The Galaxy As Father And Son - Seeking Alpha
    Someone's definitely reading my mind

Datz From my Z10 amigo.
    Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    09-05-13 04:58 PM
    , now you've taken to linking negative news that's hours or days old that we've all seen already? ....
    I just checked the last 10 pages. The full quote has not been posted yet.
    09-05-13 05:00 PM
    Here's one for you... Mobile technology also includes the holographic experience. I saw a few demos at the Frankfurt Expo when I was in Germany. Imagine giving corporate briefings to every branch office at the same time without leaving your office... That's my next investment. Here's just one website giving the demonstration and capabilities...

Musion | World Leaders in Holographic Projection Technology and Telepresence
    09-05-13 05:15 PM
    I just checked the last 10 pages. The full quote has not been posted yet.
    Lol, good for you. I meant that we all know how to use google and find the negative stories...so when they are hours or days old you don't need to bother. Checked the last ten pages really?
    09-05-13 05:22 PM
    Here's one for you... Mobile technology also includes the holographic experience. I saw a few demos at the Frankfurt Expo when I was in Germany. Imagine giving corporate briefings to every branch office at the same time without leaving your office... That's my next investment. Here's just one website giving the demonstration and capabilities...

Musion | World Leaders in Holographic Projection Technology and Telepresence
    aaahh.. the Coachella/Tupac projection guys Very cool. And, they have a BB Torch on their "Corporate Marketing" front page!
    lcjr and bungaboy like this.
    09-05-13 05:23 PM
    Well gang, it's been a fantastic day and now it's time for BEER-THIRTY!! Think I'll sit down with a few cold ones and go over some possibilities to throw a few bucks into. Trying to diversify and spread my investments into future technology or products we use now that will grow by demand. Dollar here, dollar there I guess. Oh wait, that was at the strip club...
    m0de25, bungaboy and Randeman like this.
    09-05-13 05:26 PM
    Well gang, it's been a fantastic day and now it's time for BEER-THIRTY!! Think I'll sit down with a few cold ones and go over some possibilities to throw a few bucks into. Trying to diversify and spread my investments into future technology or products we use now that will grow by demand. Dollar here, dollar there I guess. Oh wait, that was at the strip club...
    Ok, screw the Musion+coporate breifings (yawn, lol)... how about Musion+strip clubs?!
    09-05-13 05:34 PM
    Just an SA but falls in line with what M8 has been suggesting "could" happen:

Most would agree that Microsoft (MSFT) missed the smartphone revolution and is now doing what it can to stay relevant in that sector by purchasing Nokia's (NOK) handset division, plus related patents.

MSFT has been growing its cash steadily over the past four years (see image below)

(click to enlarge)

(Image courtesy of RBC Direct Investing)

The reader will note that MSFT only spent roughly 10% of its cash for the NOK related purchase, and this leaves plenty left for another acquisition.

What's interesting is that purchasing part or all of BlackBerry (BBRY) would be an even cleaner deal than the NOK deal. This is supported by the well known fact that BBRY has no debt and is chalked up with about $3 billion in cash, nearly half of what MSFT just paid for NOK's assets.

The reason why MSFT would want to do something like that is simple. Number 1, MSFT just fought off a patent case brought on by Google (GOOG), and as a result MSFT could use all the patents it can get. BBRY has patents that GOOG itself bid on in the past from Nortel's old chest of patents. As a result this would add potential protection for MSFT and add value for shareholders.

In examining a potential purchase price of BBRY for MSFT, as of yesterday's close of $10.75 for BBRY, we are only looking at a market cap of $5.6 billion. Therefore if we add a 35% premium to the price similar to what MSFT just paid NOK, then we come out to less than $15 a share for BBRY. What is funny about this number is it is darn close to what MSFT just paid for NOK, roughly $7.5 billion. Which in the end is just another paltry 10% of MSFT's cash. Even if MSFT paid $20 a share for BBRY it would still be a good deal.

So looking at the big picture, MSFT only has to spend roughly 20% of its cash holdings total, and it ends up gobbling up 3rd and 4th spot in smartphone market share to come out as the solid and incontestable 3rd place contender. The solid 3rd place contender that all the cell carriers wanted to see compete with Apple (AAPL) and Samsung (SSNLF.PK)

What are some additional reasons on why this makes sense for MSFT? Mainly most corporate enterprise e-mails servers run MSFT Exchange server, and BBRY has proven tied-in management with its BES.

BBRY furthermore is MSFT's main competitor in the automotive industry for HUD and media management in the vehicle, so MSFT now starts to leverage a potential pseudo monopoly in that sector as well.

A move to purchase BBRY quickly puts MSFT back in a mobile market, and allows them to be on the forefront of mobile computing and where it is going. After all most MSFT shareholders were known to complain about how MSFT has not been doing much, and this would be some decisive action to create value for shareholders.

Lastly MSFT has a decent ecosystem and the synergies are natural on the enterprise stage where BBRY is still strong. This is not so far fetched as a concept as MSFT is rumored to be "eyeing" BBRY.

Additional disclosure: Long BBRY Calls
    BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY): Why Microsoft Should Buy BlackBerry Post Nokia And Rule The Galaxy As Father And Son - Seeking Alpha
    and when you are talking Microsoft and phones, don't overlook Skype. How can they use Skype with Nokia and potentially BB? Might be some interesting potential.
    09-05-13 05:54 PM
    and when you are talking Microsoft and phones, don't overlook Skype. How can they use Skype with Nokia and potentially BB? Might be some interesting potential.
    There are a ton of synergies to make a convincing argument...personally I would like to see a partnership where BlackBerry is the gov/corporate/security platform and MSFT bucks support the best of each platform marriage...that's my best case wish.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-13 06:03 PM
    aaahh.. the Coachella/Tupac projection guys Very cool. And, they have a BB Torch on their "Corporate Marketing" front page!
    I thought they bankrupted?

Posted via CB10
    09-05-13 06:14 PM
    Personally can't see wearable glass taking off (perhaps the watch has a better chance for now, or in the future if glass morphs into virtual reality quality). In any case, pico-projectors will certainly extend beyond glass and into such things as the phone projector keyboard, car windshield applications, (maybe part of Google's driverless car in the future?) etc. All the fun stuff that TAT was showing in their concept video a while back.

Himax could be something looking into for me, maybe as a fun sideplay while I'm going crazy watching BB
    They are also rumoured to be involved with the glasses accessory for the new xbox. Last OT note on this. PM if you want to talk about it.

Posted via CB10
    m0de25 likes this.
    09-05-13 06:17 PM
    I guess someone has to bring it up...this is a great thread with a bunch of great people...if...IF BlackBerry disappears it would be a shame to lose touch. Seems to me a stock talk forum should be made....with other topics too (after hours).

What's the plan?

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, lcjr, take99 and 14 others like this.
    09-05-13 06:23 PM
    I guess someone has to bring it up...this is a great thread with a bunch of great people...if...IF BlackBerry disappears it would be a shame to lose touch. Seems to me a stock talk forum should be made....with other topics too (after hours).

What's the plan?

Posted via CB10
    I think we've all had that same thought. Glad you brought it up. I'm in with whatever is considered. Would hate to lose contact with you guys. Careful, I'm on the patio with a cold one now so my eyes might start to water up here (sand in the air here). Lol
    09-05-13 06:34 PM
    Facebook (holds nose) group?

What's the plan?

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag, lcjr and m0de25 like this.

What's the plan?

Posted via CB10
    I agree this is needed. Even though I rarely "like" or "thank" posts from work, I read this thread several times a day and appreciate all the work, especially Morgan and JL with their analysis. I've learned so much and it has really changed my thought process.

Hell I even put $7000 in AMD for the hell of it! (was that thanks to lcjr?)

My initial loss was $20000 after the ER, but have been able to average down to 11.30.

Anyways, I know I'm not alone as a "silent" observer that really loves this thread! It would be a shame not to continue general talk about stocks.

Posted via CB10
    Let's hope it's not necessary but nice to see some interest.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    09-05-13 06:38 PM
    I canceled my Facebook a while back because it was getting ridiculous, but would open up a new account if we went that direction.
    Shanerredflag and sidhuk like this.
    09-05-13 06:41 PM
    They are also rumoured to be involved with the glasses accessory for the new xbox. Last OT note on this. PM if you want to talk about it.

Posted via CB10
    It's past trading hours so this is our time to discuss OT interests and grow our connections and friendships.
    abouthsu likes this.
    09-05-13 06:46 PM
    Just throwing ideas out there, but what if the possibility of partnership/s comes to be.... Would there then be another chance at a new Playbook or other tablet type device???
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    09-05-13 06:51 PM
    Could you possible conceive that I am done but am unable to sell due to the loss that I would incur? Is that possible ?

I am due and my drop dead date for selling will be before the next ER.

I am not in deep as I can not afford to drop another $30,000!
    ++++++++++++++

Have heart brother. I just wanted to say that you are not alone on this rollercoaster!
    I feel like this is a man version of child labour!
    09-05-13 06:56 PM
    Vodafone can. They'll have $130B cash soon from Verizon.

Hmmm, didn't the Canadian Gov't lend them a pile of money to purchase BlackBerry devices?
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    09-05-13 07:10 PM
    It's past trading hours so this is our time to discuss OT interests and grow our connections and friendships.
    I'm busy researching some of the tickers you/CJ/Leafs namedropped Quite an interesting list, actually, and has got me thinking.
    09-05-13 07:14 PM
106,771 ... 18551856185718581859 ...