View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

693 62.66%
  • No

413 37.34%
    To be fair, they selected a guy who runs a number of stores within a larger empire under Verizon. For all we know he's merely commenting (out of place) for Wireless Zone. There's another thread floating around here stating that T-Mobile won't be carrying Z10/Q10 device any longer. I think all this points in the same general direction.

The article also also referenced a Canadian exec who declared the Q10 dead so it wasn't a standalone guy from nowhere USA.
    Someone did a follow-up article in the UK which got the same comments - I'll try and find the link.
    09-03-13 01:45 PM
    If you had put in the effort to read a few pages of that the thread before making a fool out of yourself and commenting here, you'd know that there were sales reps (at different T-Mobile stores) that stated no such thing was happening. Why is it, that every single one of your posts, is always slanted so negatively?

Could you please, for the sake of everyone here, state both sides of the argument as opposed to the side that only agrees with your uninformed opinion. It would render your efforts here more worthwhile and I'm sure I don't only speak for myself when I say that it would be greatly appreciated by all.

To be fair, they selected a guy who runs a number of stores within a larger empire under Verizon. For all we know he's merely commenting (out of place) for Wireless Zone. There's another thread floating around here stating that T-Mobile won't be carrying Z10/Q10 device any longer. I think all this points in the same general direction.

The article also also referenced a Canadian exec who declared the Q10 dead so it wasn't a standalone guy from nowhere USA.
    09-03-13 01:51 PM
    My thinking, too. $5B for devices, and $2B for patents, given Nokia's vaunted supply-chain, hardware chops, and history as a leader, seems very, very low. Can a potential buyer/partner for BBRY honestly value their Devices business or patents higher? Their current market-cap is slightly over $5B; I'm afraid the Nokia deal is going to limier in a big way any upside for BBRY stock even in the case of a takeover.
    The $2 billion for patents is a licensing deal. Nokia retains the ownership of the patents.

$5 billion was for a device unit that had revenue decrease by over 30% year over year, and was consistently losing money.

I don't really see it as limiting BlackBerry's value in a takeover since most of BlackBerry's attractiveness to suitors is in non-hardware. If someone valued BlackBerry's hardware division at 0.3x sales, that would be a nice bonus.
    09-03-13 01:52 PM
    This news is great for BlackBerry, terrible for MSFT and the main reason why Ballmer has to go. He is so incompetent at business dealings. MSFT will lose a bundle on this venture but they had no choice, they made their own bed. The good news is that they are prepared to pay large for their stupid mistakes. At some point they will want to "get it right" and talk to BlackBerry yet again. I hate that our Trust Fund ever bought MSFT, they are idiots.
    When Ballmer started working as the business manager at MSFT, they had 30 emplyess and $7M a year in revenue. 99.99999% of the population could dream about what he has accomplished. Has he made mistakes? Heck yes. But idiots? Not really. MSFT made my dad a millionaire and, if your trust invested, they've made your trust a ton of money as well. And yes, you could complain that they could have done better, but you'd have to hold BBRY to that same standard.
    09-03-13 01:53 PM
    When Ballmer started working as the business manager at MSFT, they had 30 emplyess and $7M a year in revenue. 99.99999% of the population could dream about what he has accomplished. Has he made mistakes? Heck yes. But idiots? Not really. MSFT made my dad a millionaire and, if your trust invested, they've made your trust a ton of money as well. And yes, you could complain that they could have done better, but you'd have to hold BBRY to that same standard.
    of course depends when you bought
    morganplus8 likes this.
    09-03-13 01:58 PM
    If you had put in the effort to read a few pages of that the thread before making a fool out of yourself and commenting here, you'd know that there were sales reps (at different T-Mobile stores) that stated no such thing was happening. Why is it, that every single one of your posts, is always slanted so negatively?

Could you please, for the sake of everyone here, state both sides of the argument as opposed to the side that only agrees with your uninformed opinion. It would render your efforts here more worthwhile and I'm sure I don't only speak for myself when I say that it would be greatly appreciated by all.
    Shall I offer the headline from the Bloomberg terminal...
    09-03-13 02:04 PM
    I believe he has become a turncoat and is now shorting BBRY
    I doubt it, he would disclose it. I think what he says makes sense. I don't want to agree, but I think it makes sense and is on point.
    09-03-13 02:09 PM

I'm as objective as the news stories/trends I see... as I stated quite a few pages back when i exited my position. If management actually worked on their PR and batted down these stories we wouldn't be here speculating over silly items like a carrier dropping devices or not carrying new ones.
    09-03-13 02:12 PM
    of course depends when you bought
    True, as with any stock.
    silversun10 likes this.
    09-03-13 02:13 PM
    BlackBerry Said to Have Sought Buyers Since 2012 (Aug 14th)

BlackBerry Said to Have Sought Buyers Since 2012 - Bloomberg
    They only hear what they want to hear!

Your statement is correct.

I think that MS buying Nokia will guarantee Windows phones to survive and even thrive as number 3!

No way this purchase could be spun positive for BBRY.

The next ER will pretty well tell the sad story, hopefully the smart investors will be out by then!
    m1a1mg, gg22 and lcjr like this.
    09-03-13 02:15 PM
    Sadly for me, I just closed my BBRY position at $10.25, taking a $2,500 loss. The NOK deal was the last straw for me. I just see the downside outweighing any real upside and have a hard time believing in a company that doesn't seem to even believe in itself. Only a 50%+ gain to 15 would have brought me back to even so I took the painful, but survivable hit. I'll try that money elsewhere but will NEVER go short BBRY. Fortunately, I have a decent real estate capital gain this year to use up the loss against, so my real loss is closer to $1,500.

Good news for you guys is that my sale means a take out bid at $20+ anytime now!! I still have my z10 and PB and believe there is a place for BBRY, just not in my portfolio. I will still be rooting for BBRY and for you guys and gals to make money off it. I hope to have a flood of "I told you so's" coming my way in the future. GLTA
    lcjr, cjcampbell, m0de25 and 18 others like this.
    09-03-13 02:23 PM

I think that MS buying Nokia will guarantee Windows phones to survive and even thrive as number 3!

The next ER will pretty well tell the sad story, hopefully the smart investors will be out by then!
    "No way this purchase could be spun positive for BBRY." anything can be spun, are you kidding?
    09-03-13 02:23 PM
    Sadly for me, I just closed my BBRY position at $10.25, taking a $2,500 loss. The NOK deal was the last straw for me. I just see the downside outweighing any real upside and have a hard time believing in a company that doesn't seem to even believe in itself. Only a 50%+ gain to 15 would have brought me back to even so I took the painful, but survivable hit. I'll try that money elsewhere but will NEVER go short BBRY. Fortunately, I have a decent real estate capital gain this year to use up the loss against, so my real loss is closer to $1,500.

Good news for you guys is that my sale means a take out bid at $20+ anytime now!! I still have my z10 and PB and believe there is a place for BBRY, just not in my portfolio. I will still be rooting for BBRY and for you guys and gals to make money off it. I hope to have a flood of "I told you so's" coming my way in the future. GLTA
    that is the right decision, if you are negative on the stock, easy enough.
    09-03-13 02:26 PM

You've been on this thread for quite some time, so I hope you stick around or at least pop in now and then to see what's up. Hate to see another brother leave for good ya know. I understand you're selling and I'm sure everyone else will too, as each of us has our own tollerance level. Hope to see you posting now and then, if not, good luck to you man...
    09-03-13 02:29 PM
    "No way this purchase could be spun positive for BBRY." anything can be spun, are you kidding?
    Well, I will have to retract that for sure. My error as anything can be spun as positive here.
    Thanks for the reminder.
    silversun10 and lcjr like this.
    09-03-13 02:33 PM

Why aren't you busy playing with your RX100mii instead of wasting your time on this thread?! Just kidding

As far as next ER, I'm thinking of ony retaining 25%-%50 of may shares by that time.
    09-03-13 02:37 PM
    I'll still post my skeptical comments here if they are tolerated, many people here took them for what they were (hopefully constructive) and I only got labelled a Troll every now and then.

Great discussions and wonderful people 99% of the time in this thread. I probably can't go cold turkey, but I am sure somebody will remind me of the title of the thread.
    09-03-13 02:38 PM
    BlackBerry Said to Have Sought Buyers Since 2012 (Aug 14th)

BlackBerry Said to Have Sought Buyers Since 2012 - Bloomberg
    [...] two people with knowledge of the matter said.In recent months, as BlackBerry sales and subscriber numbers deteriorated, bankers from JPMorgan Chase & Co. (JPM) and RBC Capital Markets quietly contacted possible bidders and found little interest in buying the whole company, especially among private-equity firms, said the people, who asked not to be named because the talks were private.
    "I have a friend" ... we had thousands of testimony of this kind ...
    More quietly, this is clearly one of the option they have studied, as many, many more.
    But presenting it as a "struggle" or the main option is clearly unfunded.
    09-03-13 02:39 PM
    At the lake in rain.
    BergerKing likes this.
    09-03-13 02:43 PM
    I think that's a bit uncalled for - Chris is asked to give us his position, he's not asked to blow smoke up our arses - are we going to be saying that Crackberry Kevin is also shorting and a turncoat if he becomes pessimistic about the hardware division?

Now me.. I'm paid by MSFT and I am shorting the stock and will be dining fine tonight.
    I was ironic (and a little anxious) when I linked the blog post prior reading it, because of the previous one.
    Chris is doing his job. But even if we are loyal to CB, we can disagree with his view or the choice to publish or not his article (that's CBK job, I believe).
    I think this particular post is fairly balanced and exposes several options and don't have anything else to state about it than expressed in the comments. And, finally, I don't care what his trading strategy is.
    Randeman likes this.
    09-03-13 02:44 PM
    Ancient Aliens can return holding the Z10 device in one hand while holding a death ray device in another... TH & Co would still remain silent.
    Absolutely, and they're perfectly right to do so, IMHO.
    09-03-13 02:47 PM

Stay here with us. You have been with us for quite a while.
    09-03-13 02:48 PM
    Why aren't you busy playing with your RX100mii instead of wasting your time on this thread?! Just kidding

As far as next ER, I'm thinking of ony retaining 25%-%50 of may shares by that time.
    Good to see not everyone blocked me.
    The RX100M2 has already been returned. As good as the images were the camera is uncomfortably small. The G1X has re-won the coveted glove box and goes everywhere

As far as the ER, it will show very low sales, not many could argue on this. As far as how low the stock goes, time will tell. Not sure it will go way down from where it is now as it is bumping along the bottom.
    lcjr likes this.
    09-03-13 02:50 PM

Hate to see you go, will miss your contributions on this thread! As far as the $loss, think of it as an all inclusive trip gone bad (rained out, lost luggage) but at least you've otherwise returned home safe and sound (with only a mild case of food poisoning).

I don't have the luxury of waiting things out much further so I'm hanging by a thread here myself. Luckily, my average sits at $11.25 (tsx, which is currently sitting at $10.85 ) so I may pull out most/all 2000 shares with minimal loss. We'll see... what a ride this has been.

As LC mentioned, hope you stick your head in here once and a while. Take care and all the best!
    BlackistheBerry and m1a1mg like this.
    09-03-13 02:51 PM
    09-03-13 02:52 PM
105,637 ... 18311832183318341835 ...