View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

694 62.52%
  • No

416 37.48%
    BlackBerry Weighs Messenger Spinoff - WSJ.com

BBM spinoff... I like. Wrings a bit of value out of an asset for shareholders without breaking up core business too much. Not sure how Blackberry would keep control... (maintain 51% ownership?)

Any ideas on how the ownership would be structured? Do we get shares? An IPO with all proceeds to BB? Wholly owned subsidiary? (makes no sense to me) Partnership with other companies?
    Anyone care to paste the story? I don't have access to WSJ. Thanks.

Check out my Channel: C001242DE
    BergerKing likes this.
    08-27-13 10:07 AM
    So thinking this through, BBM goes gross platform and get spun off as a standalone entity...

How would BBM Inc., make money, ads or a subscription fee? Subscription is dead in the water in my opinion.

I can see ads working well since a few of the other platforms already have that built in. The big fear I think is Google updating Android to have a worthy native messaging app similar to iMessage which competes with the various platforms out there.

Ultimately though, how does this sell more hardware and how does BBM maintain the security feature?
    08-27-13 10:09 AM
    Anyone care to paste the story? I don't have access to WSJ. Thanks.

BlackBerry Ltd. BB.T -2.10% is considering spinning off its messaging service into a subsidiary that would operate with more independence, according to people familiar with the matter.

The Waterloo, Ontario-based smartphone maker is working to revive BlackBerry Messenger even as it pursues a strategic review that could result in a sale of the company.

The subsidiary would be called BBM Inc., according to people familiar with the matter. The move signals that BlackBerry is trying to position BBM as a valuable asset ahead of a potential sale.

BlackBerry has been shifting executives over to the BBM team and has been working on a number of offerings beyond messaging, including some tools already available to BlackBerry users, like video chatting, these people said.

Chief Executive Thorsten Heins said in May that BBM would this summer become available for the first time on smartphones other than BlackBerrys, an attempt to compete with messaging services like WhatsApp and WeTalk that have overtaken BBM in popularity.

BBM has about 60 million users, according to BlackBerry. WhatsApp, which was developed by a Mountain View, California-based startup, has more than 200 million active users.

BlackBerry will also introduce a previously announced service called BBM Channels, a Twitter-like tool meant to allow brands and celebrities to more closely interact with customers and fans. It is also considering making BBM available for desktop computers, according to a person familiar with the matter.

"We have announced our plans to offer this trusted mobile messaging service to iPhone and Android users sometime this summer," a BlackBerry spokeswoman said. "We have made no further announcements."

"We haven't announced any initiatives to bring BBM to the desktop," the spokeswoman added.

The moves come after BlackBerry, hit by stalling sales and a shrinking customer base, said earlier this month that its board of directors had established a special committee to explore strategic alternatives, which include the possibility of an outright sale of the company. Though the company has lost its dominance in the global smartphone market, BBM remains widely popular around the world.

With these new efforts, BlackBerry appears to envision BBM as a competitor not just with messaging tools like WhatsApp but also with much bigger Internet companies, including Twitter and even Skype.

While weighing BlackBerry's assets in the event of a sale, most analysts don't factor in BBM separately.

"We think there is a great opportunity in bringing BBM to other platforms as people look for the right service to have even more engaged conversations on their smartphones," the BlackBerry spokeswoman said. "People are also becoming leery of how they share their personal information and mobile communication services need to be built for that. They are also looking for a simple, customizable interface and BBM brings that."

Many of these planned offerings have been in progress internally for years. A working cross-platform BBM service had been operable and ready to launch as far back as three years ago, according to people close to the company, before executives decided not to proceed. A desktop version of BBM had also been running internally years ago, according to this person, but executives chose not to bring that offering to the public either.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 08-27-13 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Added quote code
    08-27-13 10:10 AM

BBM spinoff... I like. Wrings a bit of value out of an asset for shareholders without breaking up core business too much. Not sure how Blackberry would keep control... (maintain 51% ownership?)

Any ideas on how the ownership would be structured? Do we get shares? An IPO with all proceeds to BB? Wholly owned subsidiary? (makes no sense to me) Partnership with other companies?
    They aren't going to spin off messenger - they are going to split the company (IMHO) - BBM will be in the services half and all the deadwood will be in the hardware side.
    08-27-13 10:10 AM
    They aren't going to spin off messenger - they are going to split the company (IMHO) - BBM will be in the services half and all the deadwood will be in the hardware side.
    Why?
    silversun10 likes this.
    08-27-13 10:13 AM
    August 27, 2013 11:04 AM

Breaking News ---> $BBRY Shareholders are Screwed

UPDATE: BlackBerry (BBRY) Could Spin Popular BBM Unit Into Controlled Subsidiary ---> UPDATE: BlackBerry (BBRY) Could Spin Popular BBM Unit Into Controlled Subsidiary

Regards
    08-27-13 10:19 AM
    Lol. Been there, done that. I am retired/semi retired since the age of 42. I don't have time for those any more.
    I am 39, so I have couple years to catch to you
    sidhuk, BergerKing and bungaboy like this.
    08-27-13 10:19 AM

This is great if it happens. It will allow the BBM team to work independently from Blackberry and make business decisions that make sense to them. Example, they can bring BBM to Windows or partner up with Samsung. This will really grow their value and allow them to make more money.

To those who think that BlackBerry is just selling BBM: this is not the case. BBM Inc. Will be fully owned by Blackberry and all the profit will be BlackBerry's. It's just that BB management will have less control. I think it's a positive.

08-27-13 10:20 AM
    Lawyers have we bit more brain than an average American. That's why some of them carry blackberry. Can't fool them with articles like these.
    Pretty strange article. As if lawyers care how much a Q10 would cost them - they just pass it on to the client. Another couple billable hours would cover it.
    08-27-13 10:24 AM
    Maybe BBM.Inc will have their marketing on point Lol, seriously, I didn't expect this at all..
    08-27-13 10:27 AM
    Keep in mind that this "news" is not from any source other than an anonymous person who claims to be close to the project. I will take it as an unsubstantiated rumour until any official announcement is made.
    08-27-13 10:27 AM
    When you spin off such a large chunk, won't the shorts have to replace all the stock that they borrowed?
    Bugmapper, sidhuk and bungaboy like this.
    08-27-13 10:29 AM
    Keep in mind that this "news" is not from any source other than an anonymous person who claims to be close to the project. I will take it as an unsubstantiated rumour until any official announcement is made.
    True. The actual facts could be very different once they reach the light of day. Until then, it gives us a good test case to discuss what the future Blackberry could look like if they spin off part of the company.
    cjcampbell, sidhuk, lcjr and 1 others like this.
    08-27-13 10:31 AM
    The article also mentioned how not only was Desktop BBM being worked on internally but also cross platform.
    Lord knows what happened behind closed doors in the past 3 years. I wouldn't be surprised if Jim and Mike had turned down BBX (now BB10) back in 2010

Posted via CB10
    abouthsu and Reed Richards like this.
    08-27-13 10:35 AM
    The article also mentioned how not only was Desktop BBM being worked on internally but also cross platform.
    Lord knows what happened behind closed doors in the past 3 years. I wouldn't be surprised if Jim and Mike had turned down BBX (now BB10) back in 2010

Posted via CB10
    Of course, the article was from a "trusted source", so..

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 10:36 AM
    When you spin off such a large chunk, won't the shorts have to replace all the stock that they borrowed?
    if it is a spinoff to the existing shareholders then the shorts would have to buy the BBM shares. of course, BB shares might lose some value over that. but then again if it is a matter of adding hidden value, the BB shares might hold up pretty good. who knows exactly what will happen? as usual the devil is in the details.
    morganplus8 and sidhuk like this.
    08-27-13 10:38 AM
    I would love to see desktop BBM, a cross platform communication service that isnt just to mobile but all computing devices.
    08-27-13 10:40 AM
    Lol....the ONLY spinning going on is the negative.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 10:52 AM
    Hmmm.... this is complex. Does BBM get to use the network? Is it secured communication for consumers? What about BBM enterprise - secured over network? Does BBM Inc keep the NOC or does that stay with BlackBerry? BBM on iOS/Android over network or just through interweb?
    08-27-13 10:53 AM
    So, take BBRY private, and take BBM public?
    Or, sell BBRY, keep BBM and become cross platform messaging company.

They could spin this as the best, most secure, most featured messaging platform, providing they actually do go cross platform i.e. Windows, Mac, Windows Phone too.

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, sidhuk and BergerKing like this.
    08-27-13 10:53 AM
    Another day, another set of stories, another failure by management to control the narrative.

The stock bounces around, talk of subsidiaries gets raised and crickets.
    08-27-13 10:55 AM
    Another day, another set of stories, another failure by management to control the narrative.

The stock bounces around, talk of subsidiaries gets raised and crickets.
    in politics they might call it a trial balloon
    08-27-13 10:58 AM
    More important news, the US could be launching missles into another Middle Eastern country, that's bound to end well.
    08-27-13 10:59 AM
    I can't see them spinning it off. Channels may become their biggest revenue stream once it really gets going. Personally, I would definitely check out a Nike Channel, for specials if it existed.
    Possibly a bad example.
    I would definitely check out a Hooters channel or a Tilted Kilt channel.
    08-27-13 11:06 AM
    There are many strategies employed by the algos and only one of them, trend following, somewhat resembles what the chartist does
    Yes? And? The fact is that most (TA-based) HFT algos aren't based on 'trend following' as you mean it (the Turtle Trader idea of trend following). You fail to discuss the other strategies used by algo-based HFT systems (TA-based strats) that generate billions.

But there is no evidence that trend following works. see the research paper that I linked to earlier.
    With respect, if there was any doubt that you're an academic, it's erased by this statement. I know this is hard for you to understand, but most research papers don't actually prove anything.

The algorithms make use of many variables and they have access to real time trading data. The algorithms are looking at the whole tapestry as it is being woven, the chartist is looking at a single thread once the garment has reached the retail store.
    Once again, yes? And? You're use of the word 'chartist' implies a retail guy sitting at home plotting RSI on a chart. Just because pros use algos that 'make use of many variables' and look at 'the whole tapestry as it's being woven' doesn't make them any less TA.

These are well known criticisms of TA that have been around for decades.
    Yes, these are criticisms of TA that have been levelled by academics who don't trade. Meanwhile, over that entire time period, actual traders have been using TA to trade and having been making a whack of money doing it. Again, the difference between the ivory tower and the reality on the ground.

Here are some fun reads if you like this subject:

When Genius Failed: The Rise and Fall of Long-Term Capital Management: Roger Lowenstein
    I find it ironic that you would cite LTCM. This was a perfect example of a bunch of academics screwing up the trades, aided by traders who couldn't stick to their stops. It has nothing to do with TA.
    Last edited by mset; 08-27-13 at 12:28 PM.
    08-27-13 11:18 AM
106,800 ... 17911792179317941795 ...