View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Same here. I'm waiting for Z30 as well. I need bigger screen as my eyes aren't very good with smaller screen due to aging lol
    Yeah, not sure how I'll get the Z30 but if I can get the Z10 cheap that will help my eyes too. lol
    08-21-13 08:39 PM
    Same here. I'm waiting for Z30 as well. I need bigger screen as my eyes aren't very good with smaller screen due to aging lol
    I'm doing fine with the Z10 screen size. Of course my arms aren't long enough so I do need my reading glasses.

Posted via CB10
    lcjr and sidhuk like this.
    08-21-13 08:39 PM
    Yeah, not sure how I'll get the Z30 but if I can get the Z10 cheap that will help my eyes too. lol
    Have you had a chance to try the z10? It is pretty easy to read.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!
    kfh227, sidhuk and dusdal like this.
    08-21-13 08:41 PM
    Have you had a chance to try the z10? It is pretty easy to read.

I tried one out on base and loved it! Sure is easier to use and read then my 9930. The Z30 should be even better! But I'm going to see if I can get a Z10 cheap while I wait for the Z30.
    Bugmapper likes this.
    08-21-13 08:46 PM
    Wow... a member for 5 minutes and already an opinion.

Everyone report please ..spammer

LOL...
    And I didn't know that the purpose of buying shares is to get some else to care about it.

Posted via CB10
    kfh227, lcjr, sidhuk and 3 others like this.
    08-21-13 08:49 PM
    Thanks, I'm looking at all the actual factual data that's relevant to BBRY and trying to decide what's actually happening. Unfortunately there's just not alot of facts out there right now and we seem to go deeper into the red here. I can definately hold on for quite some time, but this is just testing my nerves severely. It's not the trolls effecting my decision but rather the unexpected fall from $15 to $7 in a matter of days following the last ER. I just don't want to keep going through the same thing over and over again. I really need a cold beer.
    Bb10)
    Are enough phones selling to let that business be profitable?
    How u check money is made via apps, music, movies per bb10 on average?

Bes 10)
    How much will this contribute to fcf?

Bbm)
    Post cross platform, how will this make money?
    Will people actually adopt cross platform bbm?

Posted via CB10
    lcjr likes this.
    08-21-13 08:51 PM
    I'll private message you.
    Really? No way
    lcjr likes this.
    08-21-13 09:04 PM
    Bb10)
    Are enough phones selling to let that business be profitable?
    How u check money is made via apps, music, movies per bb10 on average?

Bes 10)
    How much will this contribute to fcf?

Bbm)
    Post cross platform, how will this make money?
    Will people actually adopt cross platform bbm?

Posted via CB10
    I will never argue your ability to dissect stock data that's for sure. I'm looking at the software and QNX side of the house. The phones are cool but if they don't sell well that's still not a sign BB will go out of business. I was always on the software side since day one and that's what brought me to buy my first two devices (Playbook and 9930) and brought me to CB.
    sidhuk likes this.
    08-21-13 09:05 PM
    Good job on reporting the Spammer. Thanks!
    lcjr, cjcampbell, sidhuk and 4 others like this.
    08-21-13 09:14 PM
    Lxjr,
    Thanks....

Qnx is so small, I ignore it.

I think people forget that last quarter there were 4 million bb10 phones capable of buying apps, music, etc. Next quarter, 7 million. Then 10 million.

This is going to be a growing revenue stream. I just don't know at what point this business segment will produce positive fcf for bbry. Obviously there is maintenence and infrastructure costs so it will require X bb10 phones in the wild. What is X? Maybe it's 7 million since bbry seems to think that profitability comes in Q4.

Are some point it will make money. But when? That's part of why I am willing to wait.

BES is another beast. I made a guesstimate a few months ago that scared me. I think people don't realize how LITTLE this is going to make even with good results.

Dissenting a business isn't hard. It's answering the questions that is hard. Being approximately right is also hard.
    To many people forget that it is being approximately right with reasonable confidence that is of utmost importance .

Posted via CB10
    lcjr likes this.
    08-21-13 09:16 PM
    Well gang, time to call it a night. Tomorrow's another day.
    Bugmapper likes this.
    08-21-13 09:41 PM
    BlackBerry Ltd (NASDAQ:BBRY) Encryption Patents could be its Biggest Asset | eFinance Hub

Basically it states that the ECC encryption that BB owns could be very hard to price tag it for patents as it looks to be going forward in the future to become very valuable. BUT I guess all they reports that peg BB value at $9-15 really doesn't think that this part is worth very much..

Personally I would do what HTC is doing but not spend a Billion on ads with Robert Junior. I would spend a lot but my ads would be better.

My ad would open with this catch phrase

DO YOU BERRY.?

The I would pay these current BB users

Morgan Freeman, Louis DeCaprino, Tim Allen, Kristin Davis, A-Rod (maybe),Bradley Copper

They would said one line. I Berry !

End screen Do you Berry ? Smaller print Keep Moving.

That's it, I don't know what these guys would charge for a 10 sec sound bite but can't be close to the Billion that HTC is paying.
    BlackistheBerry and sidhuk like this.
    08-21-13 09:45 PM
    silversun10, you should go back and reread for whom I directed the response.

May I suggest reading, Margin of Safety by Seth A. Klarman, one of the best investment advice books I have ever read.

why do You give advice, when it is My money?
    08-21-13 09:56 PM
    Did you guys notice that the reduction in corporate Cal license fees from $69 to $19 got no media traction? I see this as a positive because this decision was likely a necessary and preemptive a good move by BlackBerry.
    08-21-13 10:05 PM
    Did you guys notice that the reduction in corporate Cal license fees from $69 to $19 got no media traction? I see this as a positive because this decision was likely a necessary and preemptive a good move by BlackBerry.
    Good point indeed.

Posted via CB10
    BergerKing likes this.
    08-21-13 10:21 PM
    By the way, this indicates a buyout is likely. It is in the buyer's interests to encourage all obvious devaluations to be loaded onto the stock before the takeover offer is put to shareholders. I'd watch for further "recalibrations" in the near future.
    jxnb and peter9477 like this.
    08-21-13 10:26 PM
    I need to get my eyes tested for a minute I thought you said Brian Blessed

So THAT is his name! Loved that movie, I was 5/6 when it debuted had my first crush on any woman, Ming's kinky daughter - oh yeah I still chase woman like that today!!

Back on topic. I'm a Mac user so I frequent the mac rumors site and was thread reading about Carl Icahn buying 1% of Apple shares last week and thought THIS is the guy we need to help BlackBerry get sold to good use OR go private with.

Originally Posted by Gasu E.
    I'm not sure guys like Icahn are such a bad thing. Large company executives often run the company as much for their own benefit as for the benefit of the stockholders. You guys all know this-- one of the symptoms is the excessive amount so many CEOs pay themselves. The only way to mitigate this is stockholder pressure. Unfortunately in many cases outside ownership is too diffuse to have any real power. Guys like Icahn force the ownership to focus on the stockholders. In some cases he buys a majority share and the stockholders become HIM, but the other stockholders make out nicely.

Someone mentioned LBOs, but Icahn has made hundreds of investments and only a few have been LBOs. Generally these were sick companies that held on too long or were badly mismanaged. Sometimes the best thing to do with a big company is to return the value to the stockholders, fire the execs and sell the assets to someone who can use them more productively, actually creating more jobs in the process.

Icahn is not altruistic and is not a nice man. Sometime the execs choose to pay him to leave, rather than fix the problems caused by their own incompetence and give up their own perks. He gladly takes this money! But the problem should be laid on the execs, not Icahn.

Guys like Icahn are rightfully considered to be the maggots or vultures of capitalism. Like maggots, they are ugly. But they also recycle dead flesh into useful elements that can be recycled into new growth.
    Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 11:53 PM
    I'm quoted in that thread (see why quoting Seeking Alpha is a waste of time?) about Heins defrauding the stockholders - just so there is no misunderstanding, I think Heins has been a mediocre leader but trying to defraud the shareholders? Forget it, too silly to discuss.
    BergerKing and peter9477 like this.
    08-22-13 01:22 AM
    Yeah, I'm still dealing with my 9930, which is starting to lock up more and requires a restart to get things working properly. Not looking forward to buying the Z30 outright because of my Verizon contract but very much looking forward to having this phone. Maybe I can find a way to get Verizon to replace my 9930 with the new Z30 at just a nominal fee????
    Hi LC, maybe you could try Verizon's customer retention department, and say what you want for you to stay. It may work.
    lcjr likes this.
    08-22-13 02:39 AM
    I will never argue your ability to dissect stock data that's for sure. I'm looking at the software and QNX side of the house. The phones are cool but if they don't sell well that's still not a sign BB will go out of business. I was always on the software side since day one and that's what brought me to buy my first two devices (Playbook and 9930) and brought me to CB.
    We have something in common mate. My first blackberry device was the 9900. A few months later I bought the Playbook. And these two devices were the reason I started using CB. Honestly speaking, can't see my BlackBerry devices without the CB app. I check it at least 5 times a day. Kind of an addiction. Gotta stay updated with everything BlackBerry related.

Regarding the BBRY situation right now, I can't see them just disappearing and fading to black. Too many people deeply attached to their blackberry devices. I know I am.

I honestly believe we are going to see them around for many years to come.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 04:39 AM
    I'm quoted in that thread (see why quoting Seeking Alpha is a waste of time?) about Heins defrauding the stockholders - just so there is no misunderstanding, I think Heins has been a mediocre leader but trying to defraud the shareholders? Forget it, too silly to discuss.
    Just what do you call it when TH is tounting how strong the sales are just before the last ER? You must be kidding.

I will admit getting this fraud thing to stick in court is "silly", but there is no doubt TH was lying like hell just prior to the ER with the direct intentions to mislead the stock holders in mass!

To me there is a difference in a "mediocre leader" and a dishonest jerk!
    anon(4086547) likes this.
    08-22-13 05:03 AM
    guys and gals,
    One more hint of the day, as a question : "do we have any news that should worry us about BBRY future ?"
    No.
    What we have is people darkening paper or screen with speculations or things they believe true.
    We can't blame them for that: actually, we do the exact same thing ! Bear or Bull doesn't change anything.
    As I wrote before, there's nothing substantial until the comittee delivers official statement.
    What is crazy is that - if I rely on several comments here or the general feeling - any option other than a "buyout-breakout-message-in-a-bottle-oh-mama-armagedon-B52-rock-lobster" one is not even exposed as possible.
    . Partnerships - where the "buyers" (those who inject money) are the less exposed to this "not-worth-a-penny-anything" enterprise - have gone away in a swipe (not the elegant BB10 style, the ugly copycat one).
    . Breakout is used as a magic world, with only one eyed vision : hardware V.S software (1980s vision if you ask me). I for one can see at least another alternative: looking for specialties and/or regions for instance. Splitting individuals and Enterprise divisions, partnering with hardware vendors for dedicated geographic areas, licensing patents for dedicated markets ...
    . Last but not least current view is that only one external company will enter the game - full throttle- whatever the options are. Why is that ? Is only ONE company struggling under the duopoly ? Doesn't several companies have mutual interests in their respective specialties (hard / soft) and mutual interests ? Won't it be an option against those big twos who declared the war, because war time is a huge money time and applied the old principle "In the gold quest, those making money are the ones selling the shovels" ... oh, wait ... did I just wrote these monsters are not making money by selling phones but speculating on huge overvalued $$ piles? Yes.I.Did.

Then, to wrap up the above : Why do you think T.H never gave clues and refuse to give Q to Q guidance ?
    For bad sales numbers ? *buzzz wrong* they can be known and are exposed in Qs ER
    Because of cash bleed ? *buzzz wrong* increasing (unless announced before as in last E.R for FY 2014)
    [search whatever you believe is the reason]

My take ?

The current situation has been internally planned - expected ? - for Quarters now.
    What was the signal ?
    "It's time" (Q10 minimalist campaign).

Once again - I wish I could add this to the thread title - I stay calm.
    Yup, as in "I bought BBRY shares and I stay calm : I stick to the plan".
    M@sturbat1ng ? Not much more than many who don't have the first element to figure out what their thoughts rely on.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 08-22-13 at 05:19 AM.
    08-22-13 05:05 AM
    Just what do you call it when TH is tounting how strong the sales are just before the last ER? You must be kidding.

I will admit getting this fraud thing to stick in court is "silly", but there is no doubt TH was lying like hell just prior to the ER with the direct intentions to mislead the stock holders in mass!

To me there is a difference in a "mediocre leader" and a dishonest jerk!
    If I remember correctly his forecast was tens (does 10.1 deserves an "s" ?) of millions. There was no endpoint date.Next E.R will be around 10 million BB10 devices sold already.
    You can call it sugarcoating, but not lie.

P.S: now my neighbor went away with his Wifi and I've already burned my 6Gb data plan ... may be a little off for some days
    BergerKing, sidhuk and Randeman like this.
    08-22-13 05:21 AM
    Since people hate blackberry so much, what are they doing in this thread?
    Oh, they are trying to save me from loosing my money.
    Aha, got it.
    Priceless.
    And, because you are wise, you're not affected
    rarsen and morganplus8 like this.
    08-22-13 05:24 AM
    I just reread the company's press statement which was released few days ago and i do not see any negative in this statement.

" WATERLOO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Aug. 12, 2013) - BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ:BBRY)(TSX:BB), a world leader in the mobile communications market, today announced that the Company's Board of Directors has formed a Special Committee to explore strategic alternatives to enhance value and increase scale in order to accelerate BlackBerry 10 deployment. These alternatives could include, among others, possible joint ventures, strategic partnerships or alliances, a sale of the Company or other possible transactions.
    The Special Committee of the Board is comprised of Barbara Stymiest, Thorsten Heins, Richard Lynch and Bert Nordberg, and will be chaired by Timothy Dattels.
    With the announcement of the Special Committee, Prem Watsa, Chairman and CEO of Fairfax Financial informed the Company that he felt it was appropriate to resign due to potential conflicts that may arise during the process. Fairfax Financial is the largest BlackBerry shareholder. Mr. Watsa said, "I continue to be a strong supporter of the Company, the Board and Management as they move forward during this process, and Fairfax Financial has no current intention of selling its shares."
    "During the past year, management and the Board have been focused on launching the BlackBerry 10 platform and BES 10, establishing a strong financial position, and evaluating the best approach to delivering long-term value for customers and shareholders," said Timothy Dattels, Chairman of BlackBerry's Special Committee of the Board. "Given the importance and strength of our technology, and the evolving industry and competitive landscape, we believe that now is the right time to explore strategic alternatives."
    Thorsten Heins, President and Chief Executive Officer of BlackBerry, added, "We continue to see compelling long-term opportunities for BlackBerry 10, we have exceptional technology that customers are embracing, we have a strong balance sheet and we are pleased with the progress that has been made in our transition. As the Special Committee focuses on exploring alternatives, we will be continuing with our strategy of reducing cost, driving efficiency and accelerating the deployment of BES 10, as well as driving adoption of BlackBerry 10 smartphones, launching the multi-platform BBM social messaging service, and pursuing mobile computing opportunities by leveraging the secure and reliable BlackBerry Global Data Network."
    JP Morgan Securities LLC is serving as financial advisor to BlackBerry and Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP and Torys LLP are serving as legal advisors.
    There can be no assurance that this exploration process will result in any transaction. The Company does not currently intend to disclose further developments with respect to this process, unless and until its Board of Directors approves a specific transaction or otherwise concludes the review of strategic alternatives."
    08-22-13 05:26 AM
113,256 ... 17671768176917701771 ...