View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    No arguments here buddy, but the issue for BB is their perception by the public right now. How long will it take to show the world they are the right choice?? We know it can happen, but the longer it takes the further they slide behind and under the wall of hate. If they take to long, one of the competition can come up with a security solution, and they aren't hated on by the public and media. If BB is going to pull out of this they are running out of time. Not hating here, just reading the news and watching.....
    Perception here in Canada is not that bad, lots of people enjoy BB... Consumer market is tough though, BB should just stick to the Enterprise market after the Z30 IMO.
    lcjr and BergerKing like this.
    08-20-13 10:25 PM
    Perception here in Canada is not that bad, lots of people enjoy BB... Consumer market is tough though, BB should just stick to the Enterprise market after the Z30 IMO.
    I agree 100%. I'm sure I'm now on some ignore lists because of my beliefs on BB staying software. We'll see. I doubt I can wait until December or next March ER to see if they can turn this around. I just don't see a way out right now. I'm looking at taking my losses when/if this hits the $11.00 mark as bad as that sounds.
    m1a1mg and BergerKing like this.
    08-20-13 10:29 PM
    You can't stay in business selling unlocked phones at a huge loss. Especially to the people who are supposed to be the faithful as employees in Waterloo. It won't counter negative press, it will create it.
    Those employees probably deserve the devices free of charge for the hard work they have done. I don't think that BlackBerry is trying to make money on these gift devices.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-13 10:34 PM
    I agree 100%. I'm sure I'm now on some ignore lists because of my beliefs on BB staying software. We'll see. I doubt I can wait until December or next March ER to see if they can turn this around. I just don't see a way out right now. I'm looking at taking my losses when/if this hits the $11.00 mark as bad as that sounds.
    Yea, I am thinking the same thing although I know if I sell I'll be scared to ever invest again ha! And I'll literally kick my own *** if the next day BB is sold privately for 16+ a share...
    08-20-13 10:35 PM
    Yea, I am thinking the same thing although I know if I sell I'll be scared to ever invest again ha! And I'll literally kick my own *** if the next day BB is sold privately for 16+ a share...
    Yep, but the issue of never knowing with this stock is getting to be too much right now. Even the gains we've made in the last few months are just previously lost gains. BB could turn around and do great things, go private, or get bought out; but the waiting for it to happen is just too much for me now. I can put that money towards other avenues several times and we'll still be here talking about "any day now". Ok, rant over... lol
    08-20-13 11:23 PM
    Well, it's time to hit the rack. Tomorrow's another day.
    cjcampbell likes this.
    08-20-13 11:25 PM
    Well on the last bit of news the sp hit 12.54 on the tsx, so I would think that any kind of decent buyout rumour, or large x-platform bbm numbers could shoot this up to the 13s tsx if you are looking to get out. Nobody would blame you for that except maybe a troll or two.
    08-20-13 11:47 PM
    You might have learned a valuable lesson in this. Stock picking is hard. And this was a company on the edge. I'm very concerned about my investment in Blackberry. But it was a negligible amount of my net worth (and now it is even less!). So this miss so far is more annoying than a problem. But it was originally supposed to be an investment for all of 2013. I'm sticking with that even though things look bleak. I think their basic plan and their underlying technology is good. I'm just becoming increasingly concerned with the programming chops they can bring to the table. And the marketing has been ineffective to say the least.

But I agree with you. A guy at work told me to put a sell order at $12. That would have been acceptable exit for me and the stock did hit that recently. I didn't really think about that, but there was at least a few minutes of discussion on it. That is where we are at right now.

Lets hope that A10/Z30 comes out soon. We need some good news.
    lcjr likes this.
    08-20-13 11:55 PM
    JL is turning into a replicate of M8, no one would replace M8 but I find JL post very informative.
    plane6065, dusdal, fedakd and 2 others like this.
    08-21-13 12:01 AM
    Hey abouthsu! Nothing to technical with charts and graphs, but rather foresight and past performance observance. AMD is one of those corporations people forget about until they bring out their latest product or part to a device. They are not hated and their product and SP is not manipulated. So, history shows they float along until a new release (mostly around the holidays) and the SP then jumps when people see and remember they're still around. It goes up even higher once it grabs Wall Street's attention, then settles back down. That being said, AMD will get $20 - $30 per device that sells and those XBOX Ones and PlayStation 4's are estimated to sell over 4 MIL each. Doing the math, AMD share price will once again jump 7-8 dollars in value for a brief period. As I said earlier, this is the type stock you take your money and run with. CJ was correct (as usual) with the ERs. The CEO already said they're expecting a gain of about 20% this quarter coming up (good reason to jump in now) as opposed to the slight loss they experienced last quarter. Along with a 20% increase, their upcoming (high demand) devices are about to hit the street and it's becoming difficult to even get pre-orders in right now. Wait until the devices are released in November and December! AMD is always putting things out in the background, like this http://http://www.pcmag.com/article2...2423363,00.asp This is a take the money while you can though, as the SP will settle down again after the holiday sales. When I find out more I'll share.
    sorry a bit off the topic during the wee hours!

LJ, thank you for your input. I don't follow AMD that often but seems very logical. Being a XBOX fan for years and I do feel that the new one and PS4 will be a next step up as 360 and PS3 has been around for a few years. Definitely good opportunity and a short term money to be made. Very much appreciate you sharing the info.

I googl'd a bit and came across that articles indicated chip used in PS4 will be provided by AMD, so has Microsoft confirmed that they will be using the AMD chipset for the upcoming XBOX ONE as well ?

Edited, base on the specs, looks like PS4 and ONE will all be using the AMD chipset =D

getting late and my 16 months energizer bunny is finally asleep. time to hit the sack, have a good night folks! ciao TM
    Last edited by abouthsu; 08-21-13 at 12:44 AM.
    lcjr likes this.
    08-21-13 12:06 AM
    You can't stay in business selling unlocked phones at a huge loss. Especially to the people who are supposed to be the faithful as employees in Waterloo. It won't counter negative press, it will create it.
    Aha. Got it.
    08-21-13 12:20 AM
    It's fit in as a benefit... it's a write off for them. What they loose on production cost, they gain plus in tax write off.
    08-21-13 12:58 AM
    I own over 1,000 shares

Posted Via CB10 from my BB Q10
    Superfly_FR and sidhuk like this.
    08-21-13 01:11 AM
    It's fit in as a benefit... it's a write off for them. What they loose on production cost, they gain plus in tax write off.
    Considering how all this is 'accounted for', I am getting a feeling that the accounting department out there is pretty busy (add to it the BES10 price cut), and may even be capable of somehow squeezing out some surprise profits in the next ER! (or at least 'reduced losses')
    sidhuk likes this.
    08-21-13 01:15 AM
    If this stock goes remotely above 14-15 on the TSX, I'm selling. My theory is, if they don't announce a sale, partnership or anything of the sort by September, the stock will tank on the earnings call, that's when I'll buy it cheap so I can recoup that previous loss (If anything). I really don't think we'll beat estimates. If we do, it'll probably be because the expectations will be low and even then, I don't see a short squeeze occurring. Disappointment all around lol.

Posted via CB10
    They can get the chapter headings from the same books that were written about apple.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 01:29 AM
    Regarding AMD, go look at the balance sheet and cash flow statement.

And people think bbry is going under?

Posted via CB10
    sidhuk and fedakd like this.
    08-21-13 01:38 AM
    Here is good read on ECC encryption. Even NSA recommends ECC over worlds most widely used RSA.

The Case for Elliptic Curve Cryptography - NSA/CSS
    Superfly_FR, jxnb, m0de25 and 1 others like this.
    08-21-13 01:38 AM
    Some more detail about BB's encryption patents. Something about 'Elliptic Curve Cryptography. I don't know what it means but I felt better reading it. :thumbup:

http://m.cnet.com/news/blackberrys-e...grace/57599444
    I'm with a bunch of financial and CIOS guys here and I'm leading them to this for a week. Result : "OK, I keep my shares, worth a try". Encouraging.
    Demoed Zed ans Q's... wowed too.

Let's keep calm,"Enterprise cold truth and ROI imperatives " can win this game.
    Have a nice day folks !

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 08-21-13 at 04:10 AM.
    08-21-13 02:26 AM

Time to wake up....
    08-21-13 04:14 AM
    Tip of the day:
    Report, ignore, dont quote and keep calm!

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 04:15 AM
    Hi folks. This thread is my main source about any BB related news. Thanks.
    Now I have a question regarding the current situation.

Bloomberg Article : BlackBerry Headed for Breakup Amid Phones Woes

I just want to repeat two quotes inside the article
    “You’re effectively killing that business by saying ‘I’m up for sale,’”
    “Leveraged buyout and acquisition headlines will cause enterprises to delay purchases until they have greater clarity on BlackBerry’s future as a company,”
    I agree with the quotes and I would like to know, how long will the uncertain situation last? Nobody is talking about partnerships anymore. I was really hoping for a partnership. But now it's all about selling the company and breakup. Even in the last CrackBerry Podcast no word about possible "strategical partners" it seems to be consens, that BB will be sold and BB10 discontinued is dead in near future. .

The current situation is like a nightmare for everyone who want to sell BB10 devices or the BES, and for app developer too. Every single advertising in the current situation is wasted, because there is a "BlackBerry - We are up for sale!" label on the top.

How will BB motivate developer in the current situation? I just started developing a new BB10 app but I am not sure if I am wasting my time - already looking for other platforms. My motivation inclines to zero.

So why did BB announce that they are up for sale? They can be for sale behind closed doors or is this impossible?
    Is there a plan behind this announcement and I just don't get the picture? What do you think?
    anon(4086547) likes this.
    08-21-13 04:22 AM

Let's keep calm,"Enterprise cold truth and ROI imperatives " can win this game.
    Have a nice day folks !

Posted via CB10
    For the services side I agree, hardware? forget it.
    08-21-13 04:23 AM
    For the services side I agree, hardware? forget it.
    Q5 may be a game changer. Do not rely on public pricing, won't be the same for fleets.
    Anyhow, CALs will be for Androids and aapls...
    Those I spoke with are fed up with apple's devil-genius marketing and would jump ship to android if ever there was enough security. They were resigned to keep BlackBerry but now I've demoed and lend a few bb10 devices (all of them, actually), they do enjoy they've made this choice.

P.S : Nothing statistical, 6 C.E.x French bench.

Posted via CB10
    jxnb, bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    08-21-13 04:35 AM
    hmmm... it did close even higher.
    Then it is time to sell before it is too late. The longer this sale thing goes the worst it will get. Lots of denial going on here. I know many here have no choice as they are way under water but the time comes when you go to cut yopur feelings loose and kiss that money goodbye.
    m1a1mg likes this.
    08-21-13 05:05 AM
    Q5 may be a game changer. Do not rely on public pricing, won't be the same for fleets.
    Anyhow, CALs will be for Androids and aapls...
    Those I spoke with are fed up with apple's devil-genius marketing and would jump ship to android if ever there was enough security. They were resigned to keep BlackBerry but now I've demoed and lend a few bb10 devices (all of them, actually), they do enjoy they've made this choice.

P.S : Nothing statistical, 6 C.E.x French bench.

Posted via CB10
    How can the Q5 be a game changer. The figure clearly show that countries like India are not buying in to Blackberry as expected. Anyone still in after the ER will be taught another horrible lesson. I am surprised that TH has not already said that they are selling billions!
    08-21-13 05:09 AM
113,256 ... 17601761176217631764 ...